Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J
Jun 10, 2001

Laserface posted:

A LOT of tickets came in.

but we closed them all with a "gotcha! ;) "

Someone in our office tried this and nobody fell for it because nobody ever loving reads anything at all around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I would absolutely believe that sign and also not use it because I would feel self conscious talking to the printer and thus never actually be "got." :smuggo:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I was just informed that my dept is now responsible for updating all of our MS certificates, one-by-one using digicert, and it needs to be done yesterday. Thousands of hosts. There has got to be a better way than by RDPing to each one and using this here digicert utility, but I'll be damned if I know how.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I was just informed that my dept is now responsible for updating all of our MS certificates, one-by-one using digicert, and it needs to be done yesterday. Thousands of hosts. There has got to be a better way than by RDPing to each one and using this here digicert utility, but I'll be damned if I know how.

...set fire to the building?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Is there some reason you can't do it via group policy?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731253(v=ws.10).aspx

Maybe its because I dont understand exactly what you need to do, but assuming you need to set up or update chained certs?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

just use a wildcard cert geez

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

nitrogen posted:

Is there some reason you can't do it via group policy?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731253(v=ws.10).aspx

Maybe its because I dont understand exactly what you need to do, but assuming you need to set up or update chained certs?

I have to generate new SSL certs one by one by generating new CSRs then uploading them to this digicert website that then generates the new certificates which I then have to download to each server and import into this digicert utility.

This is so far outside of my job description that I don't really know what is what but I'm sure there is a faster way, probably one which I cannot use/do not have privileges to use.

Oh and these are wildcard certs but apparently I also have to specify each hostname individually so I guess they aren't really wildcards? poo poo I don't know.

Currently I'm just doing the certs for IIs but I guess we have to do aix/oracle/apache stuff as well, we were told to start with IIs.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

I'm primarily a *nix guy, so take this with a grain of salt...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313565

At takes a hostname as an argument. Use it to run the CSR remotely saving it to a network drive with the local hostname as a file name. Once all the csrs show up there, upload them. Use at to install the certs remotely as well. With a script taking host names as arguments and iterating over a list of hosts it should be pretty hands off. And quick.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Thanks! Gonna try this for sure. I'm also a unix guy which is why this is so aggravating working with thousands of windows hosts. So much useless clicking.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 27, 2014

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thanks! Gonna try this for sure. I'm also a unix guy which is why this is so aggravating working with thousands of windows hosts. So much useless clicking.

GPOs and Powershell

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Why is this your responsibility if you're a *nix guy? Do they seriously have thousands of Windows machines and zero people who know how to manage Windows systems?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Che Delilas posted:

Why is this your responsibility if you're a *nix guy? Do they seriously have thousands of Windows machines and zero people who know how to manage Windows systems?

Pretty much. It's a shitshow over here with everyone trying to push their responsibilities back on my dept (basically half NOC, half UNIX system admin), but they pay really well and it's a five minute bike ride from home. Plus I just graduated from college so job = good.

Ostensibly there is someone who should actually do this stuff instead of us but good luck getting them to accept the responsibility.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I like how I sent a tech a script to push to some machines, and she only copy/pasted the first line. so she expected "#!/bin/sh" to do all the magic

CLEARLY THAT'S ALL YOU NEED. JUST IGNORE THE OTHER 50 LINES OF GOBBLEDYGOOK YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND. :ughh:

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Over a 2 hour meeting today I learned and learned to hate the term "user stories."

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Beerdeer posted:

Over a 2 hour meeting today I learned and learned to hate the term "user stories."

User stories? Oh you mean fiction.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is that just a lame way of saying "case studies"?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Apparently it's government-speak for "ticket"

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
"User story" seems like the sort of thing that should always be accompanied by :jerkbag:

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Beerdeer posted:

Beerdeer posted:

Apparently it's government-speak for "ticket"

And here I thought you were talking about a scrum daily meeting that completely missed the 15 minute mark.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I thought it was like a use case in software development.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Helushune posted:

And here I thought you were talking about a scrum daily meeting that completely missed the 15 minute mark.

Our daily scrum ranges from a half hour to an hour. It's awful, and completely misses the point.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
We tried to initiate a scrum system. It died during the first meeting where we talked about starting to do the Agile Software Development thing.

The developers and support staff all sat around with the business guy who was SUPER ENTHUSED about scrum, and listened to his talk. Then everyone said, "Nope." and walked out.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Dragyn posted:

Our daily scrum ranges from a half hour to an hour. It's awful, and completely misses the point.

My previous employer used the scrum framework but then added their own methodology here and there to it because they were all easily distracted and loved to go on tangents. Our morning meetings would last up to four hours some days, of people just talking in circles or reiterating the same thing they just said 10 seconds ago but with slightly different wording this time.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
"If Agile is the teachings of Jesus, Scrum is every abuse ever perpetrated in his name." Perhaps even more true today than it was in 2009.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

stubblyhead posted:

I thought it was like a use case in software development.

That's what it's supposed to be. At it's heart, you take someone's need (usually a stakeholder) and say what they want to be able to do, and what the ultimate purpose is.

"As a <stakeholder>, I want <something>, so that I can <something else>."

As a support rep, I want better logging so that I can diagnose failures easily.

As a user, I want a one-click "restore all" option so that I can quickly restore all my files.

As a marketing rep, I want stronger branding in the client so that it's easier to sell

And so on...

In practice, user stories frequently crawl up their own asses and turn into these overblown, overcomplicated monstrosities. They shouldn't do that, but they often do.

Part of scrum/agile is keeping things in small/manageable bits. Huge user stories go against that ethos, but happen all the time anyway.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

blackswordca posted:

So a ticket came in.

Client called in, their postage machine was giving an error and not able to stamp envelopes. CLient called support for the machine and they said it was a network connectivity issues. I got the ticket, spent five minutes walking the client following cables and, surprise surprise, the machine does not have network connectivity.

Had to conference the client with support, ended up fighting with them for almost 10 minutes before the tech actually checked the model and saw it had no connectivity

It's your fault that there's no network connectivity

Stop trying to entrap the vendor

Poopy Palpy posted:

"If any and all business or IT methodology is the teachings of Jesus, its practical implementation is every abuse ever perpetrated in his name."

Fixed, because Six Sigma is as bad an offender and I don't think that Total Quality Management or any other buzzword-based business improvement or IT process improvement process has ever really done much other than a lot of MBA circlejerks and a lot of :yotj: of quality smart people.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
The problem is not in its practical implementation, it's the fact that a particular implementation was put together by someone who doesn't understand the theory behind the methodology. It's extra sad with Agile because the point of the methodology is itself the name of the methodology. You're supposed to be agile, which means NOT sitting around in daily 4 hour (:psyduck:) meetings, among other things.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Is scrum Europe-speak for a regular department meeting or something?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Muffinlord posted:

No it's agile-speak.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Muffinlord posted:

https://www.scrum.org/Resources/What-is-Scrum

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007

Santa is strapped posted:

Ok then ConfusedUs, here is a recent ticket of mine:
- Win XP Embedded thin client
- Joined to the domain
- Unable to log in with ANY domain account. Only the local accounts work. Otherwise it produces the error "The system could not log you on...Make sure your username and password are correct.." yada yada
- I'm 10000% I'm typing in the correect usernames/passwords.
- When I log in with the local admin account, I can browse to a server share, I put in my domain credentials when it asks and it opens.

This stupid thin client just refuses to let me log in and it is very frustrating.

I've seen this on normal workstations. re-generating the sid / re-joining to domain solved it...

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
A friend of mine had a ticket come in.

Bank has the main branch and several branches spread out across the state. There are 2 DCs at the main office and 4 others, 1 at each branch. They have a weird issue to where if they want to add someone to the domain, the user gets added to a random one of those DCs, not one at the local location.

Problem he found? They have a public B-class net they have. Then they subneted... with C-class subnets overlappting that B-Class. They've had slow network for the past 12 years and it's been working. Apparently it's a fluke due to how they're connected to the T1s. It would send the request up to a switch that then goes up to the primary switch to the T1 - which send it back down to the switch which sees the subnet and ends up going to the correct location.

Thank god I don't have to deal with that mess.

He also has to deal with a customer that is very difficult to work with. His best example is the customer saying: "My cable modem cannot be bad! I pay for it to never go down!"

Oh, MSPs.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Lightning Jim posted:

Bank has the main branch and several branches spread out across the state. There are 2 DCs at the main office and 4 others, 1 at each branch. They have a weird issue to where if they want to add someone to the domain, the user gets added to a random one of those DCs, not one at the local location.

Problem he found? They have a public B-class net they have. Then they subneted... with C-class subnets overlappting that B-Class. They've had slow network for the past 12 years and it's been working. Apparently it's a fluke due to how they're connected to the T1s. It would send the request up to a switch that then goes up to the primary switch to the T1 - which send it back down to the switch which sees the subnet and ends up going to the correct location.

He also has to deal with a customer that is very difficult to work with. His best example is the customer saying: "My cable modem cannot be bad! I pay for it to never go down!"

Oh, MSPs.

The problem is that they use class-based networking. Ticket closed.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Lightning Jim posted:

Oh, MSPs.

I would not trust a bank with multiple branches that didn't have an internal IT department.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Inspector_666 posted:

I would not trust a bank with multiple branches that didn't have an internal IT department.

I think they were just hired to figure it out since they do that, too, but they do also act as MSPs if they can. I'm glad I didn't end up needing :yotj: and apply to them.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Emushka posted:

I've seen this on normal workstations. re-generating the sid / re-joining to domain solved it...

Or the cached roaming profile is corrupt and needs to be purged but knowing the error message wording is vital before coming to that conclusion. I've learned to never trust what network logon error people claim they're getting until I see it for myself or have them take a picture; they've never once reported the error correctly.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Cell phone picture of error message: Check
Error message in plain English: Check
Sent to personal email instead of helpdesk: Free space

Just a couple more and I've got a bingo.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a call came in:

From the other company. They called my references, everything was perfect so they are going to send me an offer. They want me to be tier 1 for 6 months first, then promote me to tier 2 after that trial period. I should have an offer today, and when I do, its time to give notice.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

blackswordca posted:

So a call came in:

From the other company. They called my references, everything was perfect so they are going to send me an offer. They want me to be tier 1 for 6 months first, then promote me to tier 2 after that trial period. I should have an offer today, and when I do, its time to give notice.

The post following you giving notice will be the best post ITT since Dick quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

blackswordca posted:

So a call came in:

I am always leery of future growth promises. They seem like a way to add value to a position without actually bringing any value. Do you want a teir 1 position? That is what I would be asking myself when looking at any offers.

You are special however. Take any position they give you at any price.

• Locked thread