Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This just in: invading is awesome.

I got dropped into a game in a fancy sports car and drove towards the objective. Had to.stop for some raised barriers but it turned out it was the perfect distance for a long range hack to the host. So I started it, pulled back a bit, neatly parallel parked on the side of the road and killed the lights. watched the guy frantically run in circles for about 60% until he got too close. It was great.

Probably could have gotten 100% if I had left the car and sat in one of the ones he already checked, just to piss him off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Something weird's going on with my PS4 digital copy. I closed the game after an autosave a few hours ago and tried loading it again, only for it to stop towards the end of the initial loading bar and stay there for several minutes without changing:

Even weirder was that during my first attempt, I got awarded the trophy for activating every hot spot, despite only getting two of them in my first play session. Is my save file hosed, or is there anything I should try before starting over?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

ethanol posted:

You could switch the nouns in any sentence to make it into a new sentence. amazing

You're precious.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Surprisingly enough, I think IGN's (I know) 8.4 is pretty spot-on.

Hacking is a lot of fun, especially the camera hopping. If you prefer stealth missions, the cameras let you get an overview of the entire area and set up a game plan ahead of time. If you prefer guns blazing, the hacking is still dynamic enough to offer an advantage (for instance, setting up barriers for yourself or moving barriers away from enemies).

Story is okay. It starts off strong enough but by the end it feels a bit shallow.

As others have said, the driving is a weak point. The sports cars/exotics tend to fishtail badly from a standstill so you have to do this weird thing where you tap the acceleration button and let it coast for a second before you lay on the power. You can't use guns while in a car so driving missions basically boil down to driving around in circles waiting for hackable objects to show up. It's still fun to blow up the road or make someone run into a barrier, but it's definitely missing something.

The profiling of citizens actually does a great job of humanizing the city. I actually found myself actively avoiding killing pedestrians because they felt more like real people and not just herds of sheep wandering around. On the other hand, I did love just wandering around the city seeing if I could score it big by hacking some rich dude's bank account.

I didn't do many side missions, but the ctOS towers are fun little puzzles that are worth doing simply for the safehouse locations they unlock. I did accidentally hack into some apartment trying to figure out one of the ctOS puzzles and stumbled across 2 women playing just dance, which was kind of funny simply because I wasn't expecting it. I hear the Digital Trips are a lot of fun too.

I'm on an outdated rig (i5 2500K @ 4.2ghz, overclocked 560ti) and the game ran decently on High at 1080p. It wasn't a smooth 60fps and there was noticable slowdown when there was rain combined with other effects, but that was also without the recent optimized nVidia drivers.

edit: OH, one other gripe I have is the loving cover system. I don't know if I'm just dumb and there's a keybind to pull yourself out of cover, but I got killed quite a few times because an enemy got behind me while I was covered and I couldn't get Aiden's dumb rear end to stop hugging a cardboard box. It usually works alright, but when it doesn't it's a massive pain in the rear end.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 27, 2014

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Don Lapre posted:

What is your email address, i will send you a windows 7 key.

That would be awesome. If you're not kidding send it to Dogcatmousehouse@gmail.com !

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just did a FFA Decryption mission and all I could think was "This is a lot like Midtown Madness except with hacking". Which I'm totally okay with!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Oh, as an FYI, when I first downloaded from uPlay I got a crash to desktop when I tried to play every time, got the the menu just fine but when I started the game it would crash during load.

When into uPlay and did 'verify game files' or whatever and that took awhile but fixed it.

Hope that saves somebody else some headaches.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I got dropped into a game in a fancy sports car and drove towards the objective. Had to.stop for some raised barriers but it turned out it was the perfect distance for a long range hack to the host. So I started it, pulled back a bit, neatly parallel parked on the side of the road and killed the lights. watched the guy frantically run in circles for about 60% until he got too close. It was great.

Probably could have gotten 100% if I had left the car and sat in one of the ones he already checked, just to piss him off.

I did a %100 hack by hiding into the car the player abandoned. He checked everything but that car and was going nuts towards the end just shooting people instead of profiling. I was laughing my rear end off watching it. :v:

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
In addition to my PS4 save problem, I can't connect to the Ubi servers at startup. This happening to anyone else?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How can anyone trust review sites when the lowest they'll ever give a major game is a 7.

(expecting someone to find lower scores now)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Spiky Ooze posted:

That would be awesome. If you're not kidding send it to Dogcatmousehouse@gmail.com !

Sent you a key and a link to the correct media download.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

How can anyone trust review sites when the lowest they'll ever give a major game is a 7.

(expecting someone to find lower scores now)

Giant bomb gave it a 3/5 6/10 60/100

Orv
May 4, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Giant bomb gave it a 3/5 6/10 60/100

Jeff is pretty tired of sandbox games as far as I understand it, but it's definitely in there.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Tech note: the game hates you if you change your settings mid game. Performance will drop dramatically and you'll get that stuttering nonsense, compared to restarting and changing settings that way.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
I have changed my tune. Originally I went into this game with a polished open world perspective and was very disappointed. I am now playing from a goat-simulator-like perspective and now the game is hilarious to me. The bugs, physics glitches, janky controls, and ridiculous writing are sort of endearing now and I am having much more fun with the game.

Invading is neat too.

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

About to pick this up. Hopefully it'll keep me invested for at least a week.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I have changed my tune. Originally I went into this game with a polished open world perspective and was very disappointed.

You must have forgotten Ubisoft made this game.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Sedisp posted:

And you might be forgetting who you are replying to.

After sinking some more hours into this game, I think 8/10 is about where I'd place it as well. It's really fun all around, but lacks some polish here and there.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jetfire posted:

It's a fun game. It doesn't ~*~Revolutionize~*~ next-gen gaming, but anyone who buys into those marketing buzzwords needs to get outside more often.

Pretty much where I landed. I'm having fun, the characters are dull as old dish water and the cars handle like poo poo but aside from that this is a fun douchebag hacker game.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Is there any penalty for quitting in the middle of being invaded? Because I'm pretty sure a guy just did that to me.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It depends. For AAA games usually a 6 means broken beyond belief, so a 7 is barely better. For non-AAA games a 6 or 7 is pretty good.

Who decides that something is triple AAA? Because that seems like total bullshit.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

WastedJoker posted:

Who decides that something is triple AAA? Because that seems like total bullshit.

Idiots that have been using a marketing term for ""we spent a lot of money making this game"

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Don Lapre posted:

Sent you a key and a link to the correct media download.

He really did. Thanks again!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

WastedJoker posted:

That's like nine A's.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
EDIT: :laugh: ^^^

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I love the invasion cat and mouse, it's so early in the game no one knows what they are doing, but setting up traps or your hack will probably be key later on.

Dvlos fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 27, 2014

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Beamed posted:

That's like nine A's.

your school would be proud!

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Are there tailing missions in this poo poo?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Ugh, I'm not sure I can advance past the online hacking mission because of ubisoft's servers.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Deviant posted:

Ugh, I'm not sure I can advance past the online hacking mission because of ubisoft's servers.

You don't have to hack anyone, just start searching for a target and cancel it.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Sedisp posted:

Question: Did Ubi do blood dragon or was it outsourced. Because that game was the only Ubi game I would consider AMAZING.

Arkanterian
Oct 1, 2013
Ubisoft managed to set a new low with this game. It doesn't even CTD properly.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Question: Did Ubi do blood dragon or was it outsourced. Because that game was the only Ubi game I would consider AMAZING.

Ubisoft Montreal did that one.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

It was Ubi. The only Ubi game released in a decade that wasn't completely unaware of its own failings. (I love that the game opens with Long Tall Sally, followed by making fun of tutorial missions, "enough of this poo poo!")

Blood Dragon was a weird expiriment where a really small team got pretty much given free reign to make anything they wanted to.

So of course it was amazing, but also of course we can't have more things like that and instead get super watered down generic bullshit story games over and over and over, because apparently that's what Ubi corporate's focus groups think is really loving cool.

Also of course we get sequels to every Ubisoft property announced, except Blood Dragon, even though Blood Dragon massively oversold expectations.

loving Ubisoft.

Seriously, cancel Farcry4, cancel the next two Assassin's Creed games, and cancel the inevitable Watch Dogs sequel, and just make Blood Dragon 2: The Dragoning, and other fun tongue-in-cheek videogames that are just about having a good time. :v:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Pretty much where I landed. I'm having fun, the characters are dull as old dish water and the cars handle like poo poo but aside from that this is a fun douchebag hacker game.

I just wish I could be a douchebag more to actual douchebags instead of average people. But hey, I guess hackers are just a race apart from common plebs in this new digital era. :smug:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hey if any goons want to get up to some free roam shenanigans in the next couple hours on the PC, add me on Uplay at Orvidos.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'd agree. 8/10, would recommend for a sale purchase or something like that.

Also, Ubisoft made ACIV and I thought goons liked ACIV?

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 27, 2014

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Falcon2001 posted:

I'd agree. 8/10, would recommend for a sale purchase or something like that.

Also, Ubisoft made ACIV and I thought goons liked ACIV?

I love ACIV but I would never call it polished.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm still not forgiving ubisoft for ruining every tom clancy game since chaos theory in their quest for accessibility or whatever

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Chasing the guy who crank called Nikki, she called Aiden to apologize and ask him to come back, and Aiden was like "um im kinda busy" and she was like "drat it Aiden are you chasing that guy?" and Aiden was like "no" and then I saw the word Neutralize pop up on the UI so I held Q, and then all the cars at the intersection crashed into each other and exploded in a glorious fireball while Nikki tells Aiden to stop being such a goony goon.

This alone has justified the $45 I paid. I will like this game just fine.

My main complaint is that the UI is definitely optimized for a controller, you can't even use your mouse cursor on your smartphone what the hell.

Game runs smooth as butter on high settings as long as I don't do the more intensive AA options, which is fine. 650ti, Sandy Bridge i7.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

ethanol posted:

I'm still not forgiving ubisoft for ruining every tom clancy since chaos theory
Haven't you played Blacklist? It's really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Palpek posted:

Haven't you played Blacklist? It's really good.

blacklist is good... it's ok. it's just not tom clancy anymore in any way

chaos theory was much much better

it all started with ghost recon: advanced warfighter. totally chopped the nuts off the simulation-esque part of tom clancy after that

ethanol fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 27, 2014

• Locked thread