Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010
Guessing my node burn time is pretty high on the list, as is guessing which biome I'm in for science purposes. I keep a little window from Mechjeb in the top left corner of my screen pretty much all the time, because it has the information I go looking for more than any other on it, and isn't available anywhere else.

If this information, and these numbers, were at-a-glance available in the stock UI somewhere, I'd be happy as a clam. I don't honestly care how many units of fuel I have, I care how many nodes I can create and burn through, whether my vehicle is getting off the ground, how long my next node is going to take to execute, and where I'm going to be when I get there.

Sneaky Kettle fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

double nine posted:

What's the impact on system performance?

Depends what is flying by you. A station under 90k in equatorial orbit can be great fun while on the launch pad. I imagine it would be much much less if non-active craft in space were treated as 1 object (no internal forces).

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

The only thing really missing for good XBox 360 controller support (although I last checked a long time ago) was a way to map the left and right triggers (the analog ones) to decrease/increase throttle or do forward/reverse RCS. I think that what's going on is that the triggers are mapped to three analog axes. There's one shared axis which lets it work like a sort of rudder. So the axis is in the middle by default, left trigger decreases, right trigger increases. Then there's a separate axis for each trigger and the left increases its axis and the right increases its axis.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Falken posted:

I'd like some EVA horse armor.

Isn't that just procedural fairings?

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
I'd like some sort of hotkey in the VAB that selected the root part without having to click it. Sometimes if I start with a small probe core it ends up getting surrounded by parts and is a little fiddly to select when I need to move the whole rocket up later.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Platonicsolid posted:

Vertical alignment indicator in VAB, so you can tell if things are really vertically lined up. I think GalCiv did something like this in their editor.

Just some sort of vertical snap would be nice. Especially if it created snap points/planes where you already have parts attached to the same thing.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Bat Ham posted:

I'd like some sort of hotkey in the VAB that selected the root part without having to click it. Sometimes if I start with a small probe core it ends up getting surrounded by parts and is a little fiddly to select when I need to move the whole rocket up later.

Hold shift and click any part on the rocket to select the whole thing.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I love how "minor feature implementation" turned into three updates worth of suggested changes. :v:

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:
Seconding mostly, if it's not alive it's still nice to see what people are looking at:

A key or button to allow selecting the whole vehicle without clicking the pod (sometimes a big deal for rovers/unmanned).

Enhanced navball. Call these guys, make that whole thing stock. Especially pointing to markers off the ball.

Default show navball in all modes, including EVA (respect player choice to open/close universally).

Docking Alignment Indicator. Again, should be stock.

How about make "always select pilots before launch" a toggle somewhere? So when I'm in sandbox I can still Jeb all the way.

A toggle to always show stage delta-v remaining. New players don't need the confusion, but longtime players are desperate for it.

Luneshot posted:

I love how "minor feature implementation" turned into three updates worth of suggested changes. :v:

It is a moddable simulation game that's in (pre-)beta, with a strong community, so that's not at all unusual.

It is nice to see the fan involvement though.

revdrkevind fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 27, 2014

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Shanakin posted:

Are we still doing requests for simple changes? A more detailed event log would be really helpful. When you've got a big rocket seeing "decoupler failed" isn't that helpful to identifying the problem.

While we're at it, an option to write those logs to disk at the end of a flight would be nice.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If the call for small changes is still open, the ability to change the name/designation of ships that are not controllable would be nice. Like being able to mark a deserted lander as debris after the kerbals have left.

On a similar note, not having flags listed as active flights.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Tenebrais posted:

If the call for small changes is still open, the ability to change the name/designation of ships that are not controllable would be nice. Like being able to mark a deserted lander as debris after the kerbals have left.

If you really want to turn a lander into debris, the Kerbal course of action is to send an impactor probe and nuke it from orbit :jeb:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Actually, I have one issue that cropped up

I had a booster stage that had a bit of RCS loaded to lower its periapsis and deorbit it. Unfortunately, I forgot to slap a solar panel on it and the core ran out of juice--but I didn't know that until I switched into it.

The problem was, the engine was still throttled up from the staging, and couldn't be throttled down due to the dead core. And any attempt to swap out resulted in a "cannot exit while throttled up, need to revert to last save done 1h 43m ago" message

Not sure what can be done about this, but it was a bit annoying.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Something small I think that modders will be able to get a lot of mileage out of is integrating action groups with tweakables. So when a solid booster burns out, there'd be a tweakable option to trigger an action group. There's a mod that does something like that but needs special parts.

Also a tweakable slider for solid rockets that smoothly throttles to zero after some percentage of the fuel has been used up. So if it's set to 100%, it behaves like before. If it's set to 50%, then when half the fuel is used up, it reduces the thrust slowly to zero. So for a normally 120 second rocket, that means it'd burn full power for 60 seconds, then smoothly down to 90% at 72 seconds, 50% at 120 seconds, 10% at 168 seconds and finally burn out at 180 seconds. It's easy to calculate the amount of time needed since it's just twice the amount of time it'd take to use up the remaining fuel if you were burning at full power.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Also a tweakable slider for solid rockets that smoothly throttles to zero after some percentage of the fuel has been used up. So if it's set to 100%, it behaves like before. If it's set to 50%, then when half the fuel is used up, it reduces the thrust slowly to zero. So for a normally 120 second rocket, that means it'd burn full power for 60 seconds, then smoothly down to 90% at 72 seconds, 50% at 120 seconds, 10% at 168 seconds and finally burn out at 180 seconds. It's easy to calculate the amount of time needed since it's just twice the amount of time it'd take to use up the remaining fuel if you were burning at full power.

Except you can't actually do that. Solid-fueled rockets can't be throttled. Once you light them, they burn at full power until they're expended.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

fatman1683 posted:

Except you can't actually do that. Solid-fueled rockets can't be throttled. Once you light them, they burn at full power until they're expended.

Solid rockets have channels cut in them to expose more of the burning fuel since just burning the end would produce abysmal thrust. The surface area exposed by the channels determines the thrust, and as the solid fuel burns away the channels change their shape and ultimately the thrust produced. They always burn at full power, but the idea is that full power isn't always the same rate.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Solid rockets have channels cut in them to expose more of the burning fuel since just burning the end would produce abysmal thrust. The surface area exposed by the channels determines the thrust, and as the solid fuel burns away the channels change their shape and ultimately the thrust produced. They always burn at full power, but the idea is that full power isn't always the same rate.

Right I get that, but the SRB has to be manufactured with that channel configuration. I don't see how it would make sense to make it a tweakable.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

fatman1683 posted:

Right I get that, but the SRB has to be manufactured with that channel configuration. I don't see how it would make sense to make it a tweakable.

Where do you think the whole rest of the rocket comes from? Just pretend that the SRB was built to spec within the loading screen between the VAB and the pad.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

fatman1683 posted:

If you define "tweakables" as specifying differences in the manufacture of the engine, it makes perfect sense. It just means you ordered that SRB with a different grain geometry.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Since you want small suggestions, how about being able to click the altimeter to swap between distance from ASL of current body and the actual distance above ground? The number is there in the game somewhere, but it would be nice to see it from the "game" perspective, since no altimeter in IVAs shows the exact number, and often I install something just to get radar altimeter telemetry.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

haveblue posted:

Where do you think the whole rest of the rocket comes from? Just pretend that the SRB was built to spec within the loading screen between the VAB and the pad.

A good portion of it was "found on the side of the road," sooo... :v:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

DelphiAegis posted:

Since you want small suggestions, how about being able to click the altimeter to swap between distance from ASL of current body and the actual distance above ground? The number is there in the game somewhere, but it would be nice to see it from the "game" perspective, since no altimeter in IVAs shows the exact number, and often I install something just to get radar altimeter telemetry.

This is the best suggestion. Actual time to violent destruction is a pretty good number to have access to.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

DelphiAegis posted:

And that one. Definitely that one.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

OAquinas posted:

I had a booster stage that had a bit of RCS loaded to lower its periapsis and deorbit it. Unfortunately, I forgot to slap a solar panel on it and the core ran out of juice--but I didn't know that until I switched into it.

The problem was, the engine was still throttled up from the staging, and couldn't be throttled down due to the dead core. And any attempt to swap out resulted in a "cannot exit while throttled up, need to revert to last save done 1h 43m ago" message

Did you try hitting X? When I go to watch abandoned stages slowly decay their orbit, I run into similar time warp issues. But hitting X still sets the throttle to 0 so I can timewarp/exit/whatever.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Something small I think that modders will be able to get a lot of mileage out of is integrating action groups with tweakables. So when a solid booster burns out, there'd be a tweakable option to trigger an action group. There's a mod that does something like that but needs special parts.

Advanced SRB

Stackable SRBs with tweakable burn profiles. Very fun to work with.

Also, I'm testing out K3|Chris's HL cockpit for the B9 pack!

It's awfully nice. :3:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

OAquinas posted:

Definitely this. Even if it's just a debug/cheat function to force the throttle to zero despite having no control authority.
Although ideally have the game consider a craft with no control authority and no available fuel, to always be throttled down, or force the throttle to zero the moment fuel runs out if no control is available.

My own use case for this is de-orbiting liquid booster stages by setting a low throttle on the main craft with the booster still attached, and immediately decoupling the booster. Then switch control to the booster to make sure it actually burns to end. (Although the most common result is that it just rotates while burning and ends up in a strange orbit.)

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I just can't figure out gimballing. Anytime I build a rocket that doesn't have a high degree of symmetry on all sides, everything goes to hell after roughly 15 seconds. Advice?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Tenebrais posted:

It's not documented or obvious at all, but you can actually do this already! Go to the tracking station (regular map view won't work for it), select something, click the little i button on the right, then click the thing's name on the little infopanel that comes up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ceciltron posted:

I just can't figure out gimballing. Anytime I build a rocket that doesn't have a high degree of symmetry on all sides, everything goes to hell after roughly 15 seconds. Advice?

It's pretty normal for an asymmetric rocket to go to hell after 15 seconds. How's the alignment between the center of thrust and the center of mass?

Gimbaling won't automatically compensate for this, it will be applied as a reactive force by the SAS system only once the rocket starts to tilt.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

haveblue posted:

It's pretty normal for an asymmetric rocket to go to hell after 15 seconds. How's the alignment between the center of thrust and the center of mass?

Gimbaling won't automatically compensate for this, it will be applied as a reactive force by the SAS system only once the rocket starts to tilt.

Also, Ferram or no? Trying to make a balanced craft that's also aerodynamic is Legit Hard Science. But there are buttons for charts which will attempt to help.

Base game, CoT and CoM.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There's a couple mods that will help you fly asymmetric ships; the forums are down I guess at the moment but the one I use is:

http://kerbalspaceport.com/davon-tc-systems-mod/

Lets different engines be throttled at different amounts in order to keep the rocket straight, I think it can gimbal some engines but not all to keep the rocket straight, and some other stuff. It's great for shuttle launches.

There's also KerbCom Avionics, and Throttle Controlled Avionics which I've never used.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/29387-Plugin-0-20-2-KerbCom-Avionics-0-2-0-1-%28July-2013%29-includes-VTOL-balancing
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/67270-Throttle-Controlled-Avionics-1-3-0-23-5-(April-6)

Although I have the Throttle Controlled Avionics downloaded, I just haven't tested the mod yet. It seems like it'd be useful for flying a VTOL craft since it claims to be able to balance the craft by controlling the VTOL engines while you control another engine group in the back.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 27, 2014

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
So far, the big winners in the "Add small changes" are:

- Flags shouldn't be "Active flights"

- Access to radar altimeter outside IVA

For quick fixes before a patch is dropped, these two would take the cake.

Maxmaps, please tell me that these are going to be addressed in a few weeks when the new patch releases.

(Yes, I'm absolutely goading for a soft guesstimate on the .24 patch)

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
You can turn flags off in the tracking station, and they are incredibly handy for marking a potential offworld site.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
One thing that I'm thinking with having the altimeter switch between sea level and radar, is that it might be tricky for players to tell if they're in sea level or radar mode. So make sure the radar altimeter looks different, just throwing the idea out there, but an idea might be to leave the regular altimeter as-is, but have the radar altimeter look like an LED display, so it's easy to tell at a quick glance if you're in sea-level or radar mode.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Falken posted:

You can turn flags off in the tracking station, and they are incredibly handy for marking a potential offworld site.

Well, make them off by default, like debris is.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Speaking of SRBs, it'd be really nice if you could build your own SRBs by stacking SRB fuel sections. This is actually what we do in real life, and it would resolve a lot of issues with having too much/too little delta-V from an SRB. This would probably break saves, though...

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Hey if "small features" includes bugfixes, then there's apparently this weird problem where sunlight in IVA scenes casts shadows in completely the wrong direction, and it's distracting as all hell once you've noticed it.

EDIT

Here, this should illustrate what I'm talking about. Sun's dead ahead, but the shadows of the navball and the switches on the dash are being projected downward. Also left and right are reversed but im not at home and can't find a screenshot demonstrating that just now.

Sam Hall fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 27, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Sam Hall posted:

Hey if "small features" includes bugfixes, then there's apparently this weird problem where sunlight in IVA scenes casts shadows in completely the wrong direction, and it's distracting as all hell once you've noticed it.

EDIT

Here, this should illustrate what I'm talking about. Sun's dead ahead, but the shadows of the navball and the switches on the dash are being projected downward. Also left and right are reversed but im not at home and can't find a screenshot demonstrating that just now.

Handwave it with internal cockpit lighting. Honestly, it's not big enough a deal.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The light moves as the capsule rotates relative to the sun, except that it moves in a completely wrong direction. I took this shot the other day:

Not only are the knob shadows casting in the wrong direction, the stanchion is casting a (also incorrect) shadow that's clearly from a light source outside the cockpit.

I've also noticed that the shadows cast on the astronaut portraits in the lower right change based on which part you are controlling the ship from, that may have something to do with it. Someone probably just selected the wrong vector for the light source calculation or put in an extra minus sign or some other one-line bug, they may as well fix it.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Avenging Dentist posted:

Speaking of SRBs, it'd be really nice if you could build your own SRBs by stacking SRB fuel sections. This is actually what we do in real life, and it would resolve a lot of issues with having too much/too little delta-V from an SRB. This would probably break saves, though...

This is brilliant. Do this.

• Locked thread