Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Tardigrade posted:

I posted in the trade thread and got no response, so I'll try again: anyone around for a quick trade-tradeback to evolve a Haunter? FC is 2836-0442-9299.

Sure. I would like a quick couple trade backs as well. My FC is: 3024 4818 6144. I'm on now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Tardigrade posted:

I posted in the trade thread and got no response, so I'll try again: anyone around for a quick trade-tradeback to evolve a Haunter? FC is 2836-0442-9299.

I'm online now and have nothing better to do, so sure.
FC: 1263-6844-1789

e: ^Apparently you have it covered.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Sure. I would like a quick couple trade backs as well. My FC is: 3024 4818 6144. I'm on now.

Got it, going on right now.

E:

Blaziken386 posted:

e: ^Apparently you have it covered.

Sorry about that, thanks though!

Tardigrade fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 27, 2014

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

So, for my 6th member, I'm thinking of either Ferrothorn or Metagross. One's a super defensive wall, and one is defensive but can still pack a decent punch.
Btw, I mainly play singles or rotation.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Metagross dies hard to knock off, which is everywhere now. Ferrothorn is pretty rad this gen IMO.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'm always disappointed in Ferrothorn. Sure it wrecks unprepared teams, but it's so easily countered that a competent team won't give it much chance to shine. If you have to baby something along so long so it can lock down the endgame, it should be more impressive than Ferrothorn.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Emalde posted:

This, but for following pokemon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjgN0dIDlgQ

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Yeah, shame they decided to include it in any fashion instead of complete omission.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Actually, it's both because it can run on water.

I always thought it was swimming, I had completely forgotten the jesus lizards existed. This gives me a great mental image for when I use it to surf ingame. :allears: I love the little lizard.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

I have a few questions, hoping one of you can help.

I'm about to catch Xerneas, and have been soft resetting for a while now, looking for a Modest-natured one with 31IVs in HP, SpAtk and Spd, (alternately looking for as many perfect IVs as possible). I'm using a Modest Kadabra with sync, and it's helping quite a bit, based on stat-checking in the following story battle (seems like I'm getting Modest over 50% based on 31IV'd stats).

Anyway, I was wondering if there is any way of speeding up the process. Can I KO Xerneas to at least bypass the cinema, or will that lock-in a specific nature and IVs?

Also, in going for a Modest Xerneas, should I be content with max IVs in HP, SpAtk and Spd, or should I hold out for 5IVs for example, or even 6, etc. I'm very new to the competitive side of things and would like to use this thing online eventually.

Thanks for the help.

In a lot of previous games you could knock out the legendary, beat the game, and then fight it again without story stuff slowing down your resets. I'm not sure if this is the case with Xerneas or not. You definitely don't need to get 6IVs. He IS capable of a mixed attacking set, but if you're going for that you won't want him to be Modest, and his best set is probably Modest. What you should know if you're a little bit new to the competitive scene is that the only format Xerneas is legal in also happens to be extremely unpopular, and the majority of players won't want to play against you if you're bringing a Xerneas.

Here's a brief explanation of the tiering system http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Tier

Blaziken386 posted:

So, for my 6th member, I'm thinking of either Ferrothorn or Metagross. One's a super defensive wall, and one is defensive but can still pack a decent punch.
Assault Vest Metagross is awesome.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
So some butthole online traded me a Regigigas with a learnt HM/TM and now I can't trade him for anything else. But......I thought you couldn't trade Pokemon who had learnt HM's/TM's anyhow? So....what gives?

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Blaziken386 posted:

I feel like Ferrothorn only has the one set where as Metagross can kinda be built to serve your team. Entry hazards are really easy to defeat since most teams carry a Defogger or Rapid Spin user and the few teams who don't probably won't care about you setting up. Metagross is my pick.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
I'm thinking about replaying one of the Pokemon games (haven't decided which one yet, but probably X) and as a way to shake things up I'm planning on randomly picking a trainer class from the games and using only Pokemon thematically appropriate for that class.

The big ol' list of trainer classes: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Trainer_class

If I get fisherman I'm halfway tempted to use 6 Magikarps. :v:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Actually, that just make me realise I don't think I've seen a 6 Magikarp fisherman in Y.

E: just checked, he's on route 12. Huh, must have missed him.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

LemonLimeTime posted:

So some butthole online traded me a Regigigas with a learnt HM/TM and now I can't trade him for anything else. But......I thought you couldn't trade Pokemon who had learnt HM's/TM's anyhow? So....what gives?

What made you think they couldn't be traded? I do it all the time.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Icy Penguigo posted:

In a lot of previous games you could knock out the legendary, beat the game, and then fight it again without story stuff slowing down your resets. I'm not sure if this is the case with Xerneas or not.

They'll make you fight it till you catch it, and catching it is really easy. Not sure what happens if you have no pokeballs though. You know, I miss the time when catching legendaries was a challenge, as opposed to now, when they have an easier catch rate than a chatot. They don't really feel like legendary pokemon anymore.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:

LemonLimeTime posted:

I believe you can't trade them if they are in your party but if it's in your PC it's fair game. You can always go and delete the move from the move deleter.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

They'll make you fight it till you catch it, and catching it is really easy. Not sure what happens if you have no pokeballs though. You know, I miss the time when catching legendaries was a challenge, as opposed to now, when they have an easier catch rate than a chatot. They don't really feel like legendary pokemon anymore.

Do the gen 1 legendaries in XY not have their old capture rate anymore?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

They still have their old catch rate, and Zygarde has an even lower catch rate. The only legendaries with particularly high catch rates are the cover legendaries starting with Gen IV.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

The Gen 1 legendaries do, I mean the box art ones for both Gen 5 and 6 have been pathetic.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Red Metal posted:

They still have their old catch rate, and Zygarde has an even lower catch rate. The only legendaries with particularly high catch rates are the cover legendaries starting with Gen IV.

Look at this guy forget about Platinum. :v:

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Zore posted:

Torchic is.

Blaziken is ridiculously far removed though. It looks way more like a bird of prey.

Blaziken reminds me of a Secretary Bird.

The Duck of Death fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 27, 2014

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

SirPhoebos posted:

What made you think they couldn't be traded? I do it all the time.

Friggin GTS won't let me.

FallinInTheBlak posted:

I believe you can't trade them if they are in your party but if it's in your PC it's fair game. You can always go and delete the move from the move deleter.

Ah! Gotcha. Will try this.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The Duck of Death posted:

Blaziken isn't cool enough to be a Secretary Bird.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Strange Quark posted:

Look at this guy forget about Platinum. :v:

And Black and White 1 :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

The man called M posted:

And Black and White 1 :v:
Reshiram and Zekrom have decent catch rates, though? Same as a Druddigon or Rotom. They're actually the easiest to catch cover legends!

(Guessing you meant BW2. :v: But those and Plat don't really count because they had non-cover legend catch rates set in the first games of their gen, and Game Freak is allergic to changing catch rates for some reason. The best example of this is Beldum's line, which has a catch rate of 3 even in the games where you can find them in the wild.)

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Haifisch posted:

Reshiram and Zekrom have decent catch rates, though? Same as a Druddigon or Rotom. They're actually the easiest to catch cover legends!

(Guessing you meant BW2. :v: But those and Plat don't really count because they had non-cover legend catch rates set in the first games of their gen, and Game Freak is allergic to changing catch rates for some reason. The best example of this is Beldum's line, which has a catch rate of 3 even in the games where you can find them in the wild.)

The thing is though, with Platinum it's sort of expected you'd try catching Giratina on your first fight, since it replaces Dialga/Palkia in the plot. In BW2 meanwhile, iirc, you can't even attempt to catch Kyurem when fighting it.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I remember finding a shiny Beldum one time so I sent out a ghost type so that it wouldn't kill itself with take down.

It ended up killing itself with struggle before I caught it instead.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Blaziken isn't cool enough to be a Secretary Bird.

But if Blaziken is a secretary bird, I might actually like it. :v:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Fiend Computer posted:

I remember finding a shiny Beldum one time so I sent out a ghost type so that it wouldn't kill itself with take down.

It ended up killing itself with struggle before I caught it instead.

That's what the Master Ball is for.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

FallinInTheBlak posted:

I don't think that's the case? I tried to trade a Kingdra to someone from the PC for the dex entry and it wouldn't let me until I deleted Surf. Maybe they changed that in a patch?

Lobsterhead
Nov 1, 2010

La
La la la la
La la la la la
La la la
La la
La...

The Duck of Death posted:

Blaziken is probably based in part on shamo, a breed of Japanese cockfighting chicken.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

PSWII60 posted:

I don't think that's the case? I tried to trade a Kingdra to someone from the PC for the dex entry and it wouldn't let me until I deleted Surf. Maybe they changed that in a patch?

I'm not sure if they changed it for Gen 6, but starting from Gen 3 they have a rule that Pokémon with specific HM moves -- such as Surf -- cannot be traded or released if they are the last Pokémon in your party and/or boxes with that move. Try teaching Surf to another Pokémon.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

why oh WHY posted:

I feel like Ferrothorn only has the one set where as Metagross can kinda be built to serve your team. Entry hazards are really easy to defeat since most teams carry a Defogger or Rapid Spin user and the few teams who don't probably won't care about you setting up. Metagross is my pick.

Ferrothorn can do more than just hazards. It's got excellent defensive typing and can soak up all kinds of attacks while spreading statuses with leech seed, toxic, and thunderwave. It pairs well with bulky water types, particularly ones that resist fighting.

While it's a little gimmicky, you can also give it a choice band with spikes/gyro ball/power whip/bulldoze. That way you don't have to give up hazard support for offense, since spikes is the most spammable non-attacking move.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
Hey I just bred a pretty darn good Azumarrill with huge power, belly drum, maximum IVs in everything except special attack and a +attack nature. But I don't think there's any way of getting aqua jet on this thing. Is that a huge problem or is this still pretty viable?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Ghost Head posted:

Hey I just bred a pretty darn good Azumarrill with huge power, belly drum, maximum IVs in everything except special attack and a +attack nature. But I don't think there's any way of getting aqua jet on this thing. Is that a huge problem or is this still pretty viable?

Use it to breed a perfect one?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Gabriel Pope posted:

I'm always disappointed in Ferrothorn. Sure it wrecks unprepared teams, but it's so easily countered that a competent team won't give it much chance to shine. If you have to baby something along so long so it can lock down the endgame, it should be more impressive than Ferrothorn.

This is why everyone should use Shedinja.

withheldmcfakename
Oct 30, 2011

did you know that
knuckles once smoked
out of a bong made
out of a disco ball?

Inadequately posted:

This is why everyone should use Shedinja.

You'll never forget the first time you see a doubles opponent online lead with Tyranitar and Shedinja!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

withheldmcfakename posted:

You'll never forget the first time you see a doubles opponent online lead with Tyranitar and Shedinja!

I'm convinced they added the Safety Goggles solely for Shedinja to hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm convinced they added the Safety Goggles solely for Shedinja to hold.

That item is exactly the reason I'm planning on using a Shedinja on my Rotation team. Along with Tyranitar, MegaGarchomp, and Togekiss, they cover each others weaknesses nicely which is a plus in Rotations.

• Locked thread