Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I also have an Aspire Travel and use it for everything. Other great things: large signup credit ($350 + $75 through GCR), the $120 annual fee is offset by $100 worth of free points every year, no blackout dates or having to use a particular agent to book travel, lots of insurance, etc. Not great things: Cap1 will not raise your credit limit once you have the card, you need to massage redemptions a little bit to get the full 2% (but I've always gotten the full 2% back).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

HookShot posted:

Would anyone be interested in a credit card churning-for-points post?

Still following through with your last one. Any updates?

Kal Torak posted:

What do you mean? LIRA is an option at Questrade when opening an account.

I have the Aspire Travel and love everything about it. It effectively works out to 2% cash back if you redeem for travel.

Oh yeah, they know what a LIRA is, just try to put money in it though!

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

tuyop posted:

Oh yeah, they know what a LIRA is, just try to put money in it though!

Well that's not very specific. I'm genuinely interested as I would like to transfer my RPP to a LIRA if/when I leave my job and since my RRSP/TFSA are with Questrade, that would make the most sense. It's hard for me to believe that they wouldn't have any clients with a LIRA.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

tuyop posted:

Still following through with your last one. Any updates?

Oops, I forgot I did one ages ago!

I've booked my husband and myself two business class flights to Europe this summer for just over $1000 total. It would have been less, but on the shorter notice it's harder to find flights on LX to avoid the fuel surcharge that Air Canada charges on their flights. Still, that's less than half the price of a ticket in economy, so I'm pretty happy.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kal Torak posted:

Well that's not very specific. I'm genuinely interested as I would like to transfer my RPP to a LIRA if/when I leave my job and since my RRSP/TFSA are with Questrade, that would make the most sense. It's hard for me to believe that they wouldn't have any clients with a LIRA.

My issue is probably very specific. I have to transfer value from a Canadian Forces Pension Plan to a LIRA RSP. In order to do this, you need to:

1. Open a LIRA (this was easy with QT).
2. Fill out a Transfer Value form for the army.
3. Contact CFPS (CF Pension Services) and get a form that confirms the Tv receiving account is a LIRA.
4. Fill out the form with your info.
5. Mail it to QT.
6. Have QT fill out that form and mail the filled out form to CFPS. It must be exactly the form they received. This is the part that they just can't seem to do.

I've gone through 4, 5, and 6 three times now. Once I think it didn't go to the correct department at QT. The second and third times they sent an in-house form to CFPS.

After the second attempt, I called and emailed QT to confirm that they had received the correct, original form, had them read me the form number and a number I had written on the form, and had them tell me that they would sign that form and mail it. Today my pension guy called and told me that he received the incorrect in-house form again. :doh:

I'm pretty sure the value is <30k for the LIRA, so I'm not too concerned with the added costs of using e-series funds and I'm pretty sure that TD won't make this mistake since they probably have a significant number of ex-military clients. I'm still going to keep my RRSP and TFSA with Questrade because this is such a specific issue. The only reason I'm not trying again is that this whole process absolutely must be completed by the end of July or CFPS will convert my whole pension to a deferred annuity and I won't see any of it until I'm 55 and the returns will be like a pitiful 5% if I live until 85, less if I die before then.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
Thanks for the info. Questrade can be such a mess sometimes. They've worked hard at improving their customer service but they still seem to have a large number of idiots working there.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I had to use my dad's address for my application because every pitiful human meatbag employed by Questrade is a slave to the will of COMPUTER, and COMPUTER did not like my address so :shrug:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Guest2553 posted:

I had to use my dad's address for my application because every pitiful human meatbag employed by Questrade is a slave to the will of COMPUTER, and COMPUTER did not like my address so :shrug:

My experience with all bureaucracies ever.

http://youtu.be/0n_Ty_72Qds

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
So I was filing all my tax paperwork and I found a T5 that I didn't include for 89$, what is the best thing to do about this normally?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

SCOTLAND posted:

So I was filing all my tax paperwork and I found a T5 that I didn't include for 89$, what is the best thing to do about this normally?

CRA will probably have already caught and incorporated the correct amount in your assessed refund. You'll find out when they send you your NOA. If they did not do this, file an amended return ASAP to minimize penalties.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
What are the penalties going to be on $89?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

SCOTLAND posted:

Put the form in the shredder and retire to Turks & Caicos off the profits of your diabolical enterprise.

You better get on this soon before they do you like Capone!

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

FrozenVent posted:

What are the penalties going to be on $89?

Not much. Just refile your return and they'll send you a notice of what you owe. Roughly, the amount you'll need to pay will be:
[Missed income * marginal tax rate * (1 + penalty interest rate)^(# days late / 365)]
Where days late is the days since May 5 2014 for 2013 income.

There is a chance they could assess you a $100 penalty for a bad filing, but this can be waived and I'd guess would be I your case since you're correcting right away. They may even waive the interest.

Here's the relevant website: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/ntrst/menu-eng.html

Honestly you should just call them, explain what happened, sound contrite and ask them how to fix it. You'll likely end up just needing to pay only the tax shortfall ($89 * marginal tax rate) since you're being proactive about it. They usually only assess the penalties on people who are actively trying to gently caress around.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So I got my Dominion accounts transferred in kind to Direct Investing and just noticed that yesterday I received a $53 dividend in a Dominion securities TFSA that was about to be closed :negative:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

slidebite posted:

So I got my Dominion accounts transferred in kind to Direct Investing and just noticed that yesterday I received a $53 dividend in a Dominion securities TFSA that was about to be closed :negative:

Usually they will grab those - it should show up in your new account in a few days.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for the info, I'll keep my eye on it.

This might be a stupid question, but when buying an ETF there is really no reason to not use a market buy as opposed to a buy with limits, is there?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

slidebite posted:

Thanks for the info, I'll keep my eye on it.

This might be a stupid question, but when buying an ETF there is really no reason to not use a market buy as opposed to a buy with limits, is there?

ETFs are liquid enough that you're getting good price discovery and a tight spread on the market price. You can save the spread if you're willing to put in a price but it's usually tight enough (a penny or two) that I don't bother. If you were to go buy some low-volume small-cap stock you'd be much better off to manage your buy order as the spread could be a couple percentage points.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
The more thinly traded ETFs, stick to limit orders if you're buying large quantities (hundreds of shares). Also, for me at Questrade, I still pay ECN fees (cents on small purchases, but on 10k+ purchases can be more than a few dollars) if my order removes liquidity from the market (either a market order or a limit order that is instantly filled).

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

rhazes posted:

The more thinly traded ETFs, stick to limit orders if you're buying large quantities (hundreds of shares). Also, for me at Questrade, I still pay ECN fees (cents on small purchases, but on 10k+ purchases can be more than a few dollars) if my order removes liquidity from the market (either a market order or a limit order that is instantly filled).

This. If you are buying a large number of shares and remove liquidity, a $4.95 trade can turn into a $19.95 trade (or more) very quickly. I've made this mistake more than a few times.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Kal Torak posted:

This. If you are buying a large number of shares and remove liquidity, a $4.95 trade can turn into a $19.95 trade (or more) very quickly. I've made this mistake more than a few times.

I don't believe this is the case at the bank-owned dealers for a standard discount brokerage account, although I've never done a trade more than $15,000 or so at once.

E: but my comment re small-caps applies to the thinly traded efts as noted by the two previous posts. I had forgotten that some of the small ETFs can have relatively poor liquidity, although they'll never get nearly as bad as a thinly traded stock as the fund manager will make a market in their own units in order to avoid bad spreads.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I don't believe this is the case at the bank-owned dealers for a standard discount brokerage account, although I've never done a trade more than $15,000 or so at once.

Yeah, I was speaking specifically about Questrade. You get charged ECN fees for removing liquidity.

http://www.questrade.com/pricing/exchange_ecn_fees

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I didn't 100% understand the ECN fees when I first signed up (in fact, I still don't!) but as far as I can tell it's cost me only about a buck out of about 20k this year. My buying has been in chunks of 500-2k at a time so I haven't really been sweating it, but is there anything I can do to avoid one of those $20 trades? :v:

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

Guest2553 posted:

I didn't 100% understand the ECN fees when I first signed up (in fact, I still don't!) but as far as I can tell it's cost me only about a buck out of about 20k this year. My buying has been in chunks of 500-2k at a time so I haven't really been sweating it, but is there anything I can do to avoid one of those $20 trades? :v:

Just don't buy the ask or send a market order. Then you won't be removing liquidity.

And it will only matter if you are buying a significant number of shares. On a 2K purchase, it will be insignificant.

So as an example, if you're talking about a stock on the TSX priced at more than $1, the ECN fee is .0035 per share. So if you bought say 1,000 shares, you would be charged $3.50. If you bought 10,000 shares, you would pay $35 in ECN fees alone. That doesn't count the 4.95 to 9.95 you are going to be charged as commission.

Kal Torak fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 26, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The flat trade at RBC Direct is sounding better and better.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Kal Torak posted:

Just don't buy the ask or send a market order. Then you won't be removing liquidity.

Are limit orders at ask price + a couple cents a way around this?

slidebite posted:

The flat trade at RBC Direct is sounding better and better.

The 4-tenths-of-a-basis-point it's cost me so far is probably more than offset by the savings in management fees and diversification options. Youtube taught me how to use Questrade :v:

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

Guest2553 posted:

Do you mean - a couple cents? If you're buying, you would have to put in an order for less than ask. And yes, as long as you have a resting order (i.e. don't get filled immediately), then you aren't removing liquidity.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I meant plus, but it seems like the discriminator is 'not get filled immediately'. You indirectly answered my question, I think, so thanks!

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

HookShot posted:

Would anyone be interested in a credit card churning-for-points post?

I missed the last post about it, so if you're willing to do an effort post or if someone has a link to the old one I'd be very appreciative.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Guest2553 posted:

I'm not sure how Questrade handles this specifically, but generally if you have a limit order to buy at or above the ask, then it will get executed as a 'marketable limit order', i.e. it will be filled as a liquidity-removing execution.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

mik posted:

I'm not sure how Questrade handles this specifically, but generally if you have a limit order to buy at or above the ask, then it will get executed as a 'marketable limit order', i.e. it will be filled as a liquidity-removing execution.

Yes, exactly. By putting in a buy order above the ask, you are going to get filled on the ask price. You would then be removing liquidity and the ECN fees would apply.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Arabian Jesus posted:

I missed the last post about it, so if you're willing to do an effort post or if someone has a link to the old one I'd be very appreciative.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3569987&perpage=40&pagenumber=23#post425027142

That's around where it was being discussed. I got the Cibc visa and Amex for 40k points altogether. My wife dragged her feet and now has only like 15k offers available to her.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Kal Torak posted:

Yes, exactly. By putting in a buy order above the ask, you are going to get filled on the ask price. You would then be removing liquidity and the ECN fees would apply.

If you want it to be filled relatively quickly just put the order in a penny above the bid. Frankly as long as it's anywhere below the ask when you make it it's a liquidity creating transaction and shouldn't get dinged. Same for when selling just put it in anywhere above the bid.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Just did my first buys on RBC:DI for ETFs.

VAB
VSB
XEF

I'm so nervous :ohdear:

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control

slidebite posted:

VAB
VSB
XEF

Nice job. Those are all solid index ETFs so no need to fret.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
I want to open a TFSA TD e-series to start dabbling in the couch potato models. I do all my banking through TD and my 1% TFSA savings account has no more contribution room until January 1. Here is how I understand it to work. Can somebody please correct me where needed?

1. Go to TD branch, open a TFSA mutual fund account. Do not buy any funds yet.
2. Fill out the account transfer form and mail it in. In a week or so my TFSA mutual fund account will be converted into a TFSA e-series.
3. I can then use the money in my 1% TFSA to start purchasing products for my TFSA e-series. Would this count as a TFSA to TFSA transfer, or would it count as a withdrawal and deposit elsewhere (leading to over contributions)? I assume this is all handled over EasyWeb?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

slidebite posted:

VAB
VSB
XEF

Now close the website, and don't look at them for 12 months, unless you're making an additional contribution.

I'm not kidding. Your heart will thank you and you shouldn't be reacting to daily market moves anyways.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh I've been investing for many years (albeit not actively), but I well understand to not babysit them and look every day :)

My whole :ohdear: was doing something wrong through the system and discovering I royally hosed up!

Quick look seems OK, buy was pretty much what I expected with no surprises

e: Just looked, I don't have book value yet, just market.

That said, I'm going to have to be doing lots more looking over the coming weeks as we rebalance our portfolios on RBC:DI as we liquidated all of our mutual funds prior to the move.

Kept all the equities though.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 27, 2014

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Man, I made like 6% gains on my Canadian Bond E-series this month but everyone says the Canadian bond market is sketchy to put money into right now due to poo poo like the housing bubble. Second best performing was TDB911 at 3%. TDB900 & 902 were 1% and .032% respectively.

Can you actually have a trading TFSA and a High-Interest TFSA? I thought you could only have one, period, so I just went and opened a TD Direct Investing TFSA from the outset.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Rime posted:

Man, I made like 6% gains on my Canadian Bond E-series this month but everyone says the Canadian bond market is sketchy to put money into right now due to poo poo like the housing bubble. Second best performing was TDB911 at 3%. TDB900 & 902 were 1% and .032% respectively.

Can you actually have a trading TFSA and a High-Interest TFSA? I thought you could only have one, period, so I just went and opened a TD Direct Investing TFSA from the outset.

You can have multiple TFSA accounts, it's only the total contribution that the government cares about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chang with a k
Sep 11, 2006

reflex posted:

I want to open a TFSA TD e-series to start dabbling in the couch potato models. I do all my banking through TD and my 1% TFSA savings account has no more contribution room until January 1. Here is how I understand it to work. Can somebody please correct me where needed?

1. Go to TD branch, open a TFSA mutual fund account. Do not buy any funds yet.
2. Fill out the account transfer form and mail it in. In a week or so my TFSA mutual fund account will be converted into a TFSA e-series.
3. I can then use the money in my 1% TFSA to start purchasing products for my TFSA e-series. Would this count as a TFSA to TFSA transfer, or would it count as a withdrawal and deposit elsewhere (leading to over contributions)? I assume this is all handled over EasyWeb?

I think this was asked before in this thread, but there never was an answer. My assumption is you just need a TFSA mutual fund account. You will be allowed to purchase e-series through EasyWeb without the need to convert anything. You should probably just go to a branch and ask TD about transferring between TFSAs, and also confirm that you don't have to convert the account to e-series in order to buy them.

But you might as well just open a DI/Waterhouse TFSA instead, if you think you'll switch into ETFs down the road.

Rime posted:

CRA posted:

You can have more than one TFSA at any given time, but the total amount you contribute to all your TFSAs cannot be more than your available TFSA contribution room for that year.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/tfsa-celi/sttng-eng.html