Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Morrison probably would have gotten a title run if he had stuck around, but that's not saying much anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

The point system favored takedowns, which would have made it more advantageous for someone with an amateur background. Plus they were all wearing boxing gloves which (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong) makes it more difficult to punch and get knock-outs. So, it was set up to focus on the amateur side and someone like Williams would have had a stronger advantage going in.
Yes, you are very wrong. One, boxing gloves protect the puncher's hands and allow him to hit harder. Two, they make it difficult to get takedowns.

They didn't expect Williams to win because they had ingeniously rigged the rules in his favour. Nothing involving the Brawl-for-All was done with any measure of genius. Williams wasn't even the most decorated amateur wrestler going into the tournament; that would be Severn. They expected him to win because they were seriously marks for his badass reputation. They didn't get that there's a world of difference between a guy with a reputation as a barroom brawler, who was a good athlete years ago, and a guy with serious full-contact martial arts experience who is in shape for competition.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Yes, you are very wrong. One, boxing gloves protect the puncher's hands and allow him to hit harder. Two, they make it difficult to get takedowns.

They didn't expect Williams to win because they had ingeniously rigged the rules in his favour. Nothing involving the Brawl-for-All was done with any measure of genius. Williams wasn't even the most decorated amateur wrestler going into the tournament; that would be Severn. They expected him to win because they were seriously marks for his badass reputation. They didn't get that there's a world of difference between a guy with a reputation as a barroom brawler, who was a good athlete years ago, and a guy with serious full-contact martial arts experience who is in shape for competition.

For amateurs, don't gloves make it more difficult to keep your hands up and then tire you out? And then, because you are more tired, your punches don't have the same oomph that you would hope they had?

Takedowns were 5 points EACH while punches were only 5 points for the most in one round. Clearly, they thought that the fights would have a larger wrestling component.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

For amateurs, don't gloves make it more difficult to keep your hands up and then tire you out? And then, because you are more tired, your punches don't have the same oomph that you would hope they had?

Takedowns were 5 points EACH while punches were only 5 points for the most in one round. Clearly, they thought that the fights would have a larger wrestling component.

No. Boxing gloves make your fist way bigger and let you not break your hands. They don't make it significantly more difficult to keep your hands up -- not that endurance was Bart Gunn's issue in that fight.

They thought a lot of things about Brawl for All, none of which were correct, because it was the dumbest loving thing ever.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

I suppose that someone with no boxing experience and in terrible ring shape might prefer to ditch the gloves in order to lose the extra weight, sure. In that case, he's almost certainly not going to land hard punches.

In years past there had been wrestler vs. boxer matches where the boxer wore gloves and the wrestler didn't, which as it turns out, immediately decides the match in favour of the wrestler because he can go for takedowns which the boxer is now almost helpless to defend. But that's tangential to your misconception that "boxing gloves which...makes it more difficult to punch and get knock-outs," which is very incorrect. Ultimately, gloves protect the hands and make for harder hits.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

So do those of you who think Morrison is a better promo than Orton watch Raw on mute because I don't think you heard any of Randy's stuff from last fall/winter and I know you didn't hear any of Morrison's from ever.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Orton was good when they told him to speed up his delivery so he wouldn't get chanted over all the time, and it worked, but that lasted only a few weeks iirc. Don't know anything about Morrison.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Morrison in a pre-tape or even a backstage segment was brilliant. Morrison with a mic in front of a live crowd was embarrassing. Mr Ziggles was so bad he had to repeat it several times to get the crowd to half-heartedly chant it, and crowds will chant anything. It was like the anti Austin 3:16 promo.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

And then they made Bart Gunn, notable for not being a professional boxer, fight a professional boxer in a boxing match.

Noted reliable source Bob Holly says that was punishment for beating Steve Williams but then again he's noted reliable source Bob Holly.

flashy_mcflash posted:

That kind of sounds like you're describing Randy Orton there. Orton might be a 'C' on the mic, or maybe a B- on a good day though.

Let us consult TEW 2013.

Looks like a B- to me!

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

oatgan posted:

So do those of you who think Morrison is a better promo than Orton watch Raw on mute because I don't think you heard any of Randy's stuff from last fall/winter and I know you didn't hear any of Morrison's from ever.

Orton can just be really boring sometimes. He talks slow, pauses a lot and tries way too hard to be dramatic.

But Morrison at times was really embarrassing to listen to. Backstage segments were just as bad. The only thing I think anybody can point at that he seemed great in was DIRT SHEET and that was supposed to be really corny.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

Noted reliable source Bob Holly says that was punishment for beating Steve Williams but then again he's noted reliable source Bob Holly.

Let us consult TEW 2013.

Looks like a B- to me!
Whoever put Sex Appeal at E really hasn't been listening to those crowd reactions.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

HulkaMatt posted:

Orton can just be really boring sometimes. He talks slow, pauses a lot and tries way too hard to be dramatic.

But Morrison at times was really embarrassing to listen to. Backstage segments were just as bad. The only thing I think anybody can point at that he seemed great in was DIRT SHEET and that was supposed to be really corny.

Sorry I don't trust the Dirt Sheet.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Was it even a real dirt sheet? Where's rovert?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Is TEW good now? I tried it like five years ago and it was so bogged down.

For reference, I find football Manager 2011 to be the pinnacle of gaming.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I was always a big fan of Morrison. There was a time in 2010 or so when I really thought they were pushing him toward the title. Drafting him to Raw in 2010 was a big mistake, I thought. He would've been championship material on Smackdown around that time, once Taker and Kane were done with their silly magic powers feud. He was really solid in the ring, could hang with the best guys on the roster, and his promoing wasn't THAT bad - it was more writing than lack of ability. He might not have been the best talker but he was never given anything good to work with either.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Morrison had this really awesome spot at a house show I went to. He knocked his opponent down and was trying to do a Rick Rude hip swivel, but the other guy punched him. So Morrison just flipped out, started stomping him and *angrily hip swiveling* in-between stomps. Morrison loving rules. :colbert:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

keithy george posted:

Whoever put Sex Appeal at E really hasn't been listening to those crowd reactions.

E is good for a male wrestler. I think Brock is an F-. He's still a B+ player going by Star Quality.

I'd be more concerned at who put down Paul Heyman as a middleweight...

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

E is good for a male wrestler. I think Brock is an F-. He's still a B+ player going by Star Quality.

I'd be more concerned at who put down Paul Heyman as a middleweight...

He's certainly got weight around his middle.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Watching random old ECW episodes is funny. Shane Douglas is doing this like 10 minute long pretaped promo on Ric Flair, did they actually expect something to come from this?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Morrison once delivered a promo that was so bad that the next week they had Jeff Hardy literally watch paint dry and make a joke that it was better than Morrison's promo.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Jerusalem posted:

Morrison once delivered a promo that was so bad that the next week they had Jeff Hardy literally watch paint dry and make a joke that it was better than Morrison's promo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HuBt7av9TI

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

triplexpac posted:

Watching random old ECW episodes is funny. Shane Douglas is doing this like 10 minute long pretaped promo on Ric Flair, did they actually expect something to come from this?

He did those to get himself over, nothing more. They knew Flair wasn't coming over to ECW.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

HulkaMatt posted:

The only thing I think anybody can point at that he seemed great in was DIRT SHEET and that was supposed to be really corny.

Hopefuly I'm not making this up, but didn't either Miz or Morrison once attribute the success of The Dirt Sheet to the random director the WWE assigned to produce the low-budget internet shows?

My understanding was that as the characters of Miz and Morrison were being written for the internet show, they were being steered with a real direction by the small team working on it, and that also extended to how the characters would act on TV, and gave them lots of material to work into their ECW promos.

When The Dirt Sheet ended and they moved to RAW, Miz and Morrison both went from having the support and direction of a tight group of people, to being handed a promo script, and having to single handedly figure out themselves how their character should deliver it. Miz went on to great success, but had the advantage of being able to carry on the direction he was already being aimed in, while Morrison had to make the switch to Babyface.

I don't think it's so much that he's a bad promo, but the huge change of enviroment that went on behind the scenes? For a while, he was in an awesome place, with hard working people making sure he could deliver on his potential, and then all of a sudden, he was a deer in the headlights :{

Tyma fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 28, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I don't know if this line reading is better or worse than Dean Malenko's promo reading.

He's been trying to contact you on numerous o-ccasions. Trying to open your heart and enlighten you and open your eyes. :geno:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Dean-o sounds like he escaped from the set of Kung Pow.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

triplexpac posted:

Yes.

http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/video_reviews/207235/Kayfabe!---Timeline-The-History-Of-ECW-1994-As-Told-By-Shane-Douglas.htm

quote:

Sean asks if there was true that Flair was coming to ECW? At one point there apparently was. Flair wanted a huge guarantee, $150,000.00, which wasn’t feasible for Paul. So the plan was to run three shows with Flair vs. Shane, a match in Charlotte, Pittsburgh, and Philly at the Spectrum, but Flair backed out and re-signed with WCW.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The best part about that figure is you can lop off some zeroes and it still isn't feasible for Paul.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Flair was under contract to WCW throughout 1994.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Jerusalem posted:

Dude was high as gently caress. Some guys always give a lovely promo because they're stoned (Jeff Hardy, RVD, Mysterio). I could see Morrison as a Christian-sytle king of the midcard who's allowed to "break the glass ceiling" once in a while as part of a storyline and wrestle a few main event matches.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MassRafTer posted:

Flair was under contract to WCW throughout 1994.

Right, but ECW and WCW had a working agreement at the time.

EDIT: Shane has attributed the story to both 1994 and 1998 depending on the interview, so who knows:

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/news-week-more-shane-douglas-mick-on-mania-todd-pentengail-resigning.439/page-4

quote:

Flair had started discussions with ECW when he had his problems with Bischoff, about working with me. His concern to Paul Heyman was, that I would shoot on him. He wanted $150,000 for one match which we couldn’t possibly afford that. So I suggested to Paul, offer back to him, 3 shows, first one in Charlotte. I put him over, 55 minutes. Second, Pittsburgh he puts me over, same time frame. Third time in Philadelphia, I have no doubts that promoted well, we could’ve sold the Spectrum out.

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 28, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

Right, but ECW and WCW had a working agreement at the time.

EDIT: Shane has attributed the story to both 1994 and 1998 depending on the interview, so who knows:

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/news-week-more-shane-douglas-mick-on-mania-todd-pentengail-resigning.439/page-4

1998 is the only year it could be and in 98 he was never close to signing with ECW, he was closer to signing with the WWF. Shane did those interviews for years just to get himself over and then they briefly talked about Flair coming in during the WCW lawsuit. That's it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

titties posted:

Dude was high as gently caress. Some guys always give a lovely promo because they're stoned (Jeff Hardy, RVD, Mysterio). I could see Morrison as a Christian-sytle king of the midcard who's allowed to "break the glass ceiling" once in a while as part of a storyline and wrestle a few main event matches.

This was also when he was in full 70s psychedelic rock guru character, which had goofy-rear end catchphrases like "palace of wisdom" and "shaman of sexy" written into his promos.

Too bad they never gave him a mouthpiece. I don't know if he could pull off being a Heyman guy, but someone who fit his gimmick and could promote him well could've made him main event material.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Have there been any notable (Non Danny Dangerous) ref blade-jobs?

If you're gonna cite TNA, don't bother.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

This was also when he was in full 70s psychedelic rock guru character, which had goofy-rear end catchphrases like "palace of wisdom" and "shaman of sexy" written into his promos.

Too bad they never gave him a mouthpiece. I don't know if he could pull off being a Heyman guy, but someone who fit his gimmick and could promote him well could've made him main event material.

Miz was good as his mouthpiece. "Don't hate this guy because he has a better coat than you!"

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

Desumaytah posted:

Have there been any notable (Non Danny Dangerous) ref blade-jobs?

If you're gonna cite TNA, don't bother.

The triangle ladder match at PWG's Threemendous III had Rick Knox getting clocked by a ladder from the Young Bucks. He was bleeding when he was lifted up by the other officials. Then he came back out to push the bucks off the ladder and did a dive to the outside on to them. (I know you meant notable but the match was one of the craziest matches I've ever seen)

Didn't Tim White start bleeding after he got injured at Judgement Day 04 against Jericho and HHH in the hell in the cell?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BillyMays posted:

Didn't Tim White start bleeding after he got injured at Judgement Day 04 against Jericho and HHH in the hell in the cell?

That wasn't wise.

Big Poppa
Aug 21, 2003
Big Poppa is fine.

Halloween Jack posted:

Williams was legit tough and expected to win. But according to JR (who I know is a Dr. Death mark), Williams tore his ACL during the first match and that helped in the defeat. This was all meant to get Dr. Death over and it failed spectacularly.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Cornette backs up that story. But "legit tough" based on what? Beating up unruly marks in the audience, or some guy in a barfight?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Halloween Jack posted:

Cornette backs up that story. But "legit tough" based on what? Beating up unruly marks in the audience, or some guy in a barfight?

Guy in a barfight tough, which does not translate to toughman contest tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Onmi posted:

Guy in a barfight tough, which does not translate to toughman contest tough.

He had a legit amateur wrestling background and made it to the finals of a NCAA tournament. Of course, the toughman style rules rather than MMA rules wouldn't have helped him as much.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 28, 2014