Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Cultural Imperial posted:

There are guys literally all around between main, Yukon, bordered by Broadway and 1 St doing just this. There one dude parked right in front of 33 acres I walk by all the time. The sliding door of his econoline doesn't even close completely. Presumably for the natural air conditioning.

Terminal is a hotbed for it since it's super quiet at night and there's nobody around to report you. I find it hilarious, since the Busters impound is there and you regularly see people parked right across the street.

I've got a thread up in A/T about pulling this off, but for some reason getting people to imagine anything beyond "making GBS threads in a bucket" is a struggle, no matter how many slick builds you show them. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Franks Happy Place posted:

West Vancouver prices are at about 75 times rental rates. Ideally they should be under 15 to 20 times.

So... yeah.

The vast majority of the city is more like 25-30 times. A lot of the distortion in West Van can be explained by a) imported money not caring about returns and b) the places going for rental there being a very small subset of the actual properties in the market. There aren't many 25,000,000 estates that get rented out.

Re: a), it's anecdotal but I was recently looking for rentals and was exposed to a bunch of the west van and other neighborhoods. The impact of safe haven money in the more tony areas (and literally nowhere else) can not be overstated.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rime posted:

Terminal is a hotbed for it since it's super quiet at night and there's nobody around to report you. I find it hilarious, since the Busters impound is there and you regularly see people parked right across the street.

I've got a thread up in A/T about pulling this off, but for some reason getting people to imagine anything beyond "making GBS threads in a bucket" is a struggle, no matter how many slick builds you show them. :v:

You're not that guy who made the news last year with his hipster van are you?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

The vast majority of the city is more like 25-30 times.

Nope:

Also that image is two years old, if anything places like East Van are far worse now.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

You're not that guy who made the news last year with his hipster van are you?

Nah, and he was just using it as an extra room attached to his friends house, paid them rent and utilities making it entirely pointless except as Hipster stupidity.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Rime posted:

No matter how slick the rig, you're still making GBS threads in a bucket.

You can't, as they say, polish a turd.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Canadian housing bubble thread: loose lending standards and making GBS threads in a bucket

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nope:

Also that image is two years old, if anything places like East Van are far worse now.

Someone earlier was asking about what screamed 'Bubble!' to us. I think the most telling is that the Price:Rental ratio in places like Surrey and Mission is 40+.

"Middle class" families co-purchasing houses is probably second on my list.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hahaha yeah, Mission being 40+ is just insane.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

ocrumsprug posted:

Someone earlier was asking about what screamed 'Bubble!' to us. I think the most telling is that the Price:Rental ratio in places like Surrey and Mission is 40+.

"Middle class" families co-purchasing houses is probably second on my list.

This co purchasing nonsense I'd just mortgage broker propaganda though isn't it? Do you know any people who have done this IRL?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

This co purchasing nonsense I'd just mortgage broker propaganda though isn't it? Do you know any people who have done this IRL?

Perhaps, it was a piece of Vancouver journalism which I have to presume was fact checked to ensure complete accuracy. It was the CBC and not Global, so it has a better chance of not being total garbage.

I don't know anyone that has done it, but that could be selection bias as I don't really know too many people that fall into a category that a mixer mortgage would suit. Desperate idiot or urban commune being the first two that come to mind. Then again, in my peer group I actually only know one person that owns a house on the city side of the river, and he is actually on the older side. Most of them rent, with a couple of townhouses sprinkled in.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Rime posted:

If someone claims that Arthur Erickson or lovely glass sheathing is in any way visually stunning, let alone deserving of being called "architecture", I usually ignore their opinions on everything else.

Just in case anyone gets the impression that architects are solely to blame for condos for all looking the same and having substandard construction to boot... they're not. It's the developer that decides they want an all-glass exterior, and that they want it done as cheaply as possible to meet the bare minimum of safety regulations even if the entire exterior is going to require expensive repairs in 10 years or less. Architects are mainly responsible for trying to design a building that both meets the developers often unreasonable demands and safety/planning/urban design requirements. If the developer wants a cheap leaky piece of crap, they're going to get it one way or another.

Similarly, it wasn't architects who decided that stucco exteriors are appropriate for Canadian climates.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Arthur Erickson is a monsternational treasure that builds hideous leaky concrete blocks.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

FrozenVent posted:

No matter how slick the rig, you're still making GBS threads in a bucket.

You can't, as they say, polish a turd.

I actually used to date someone that lived in a converted camper van with a fully enclosed bathroom and shower, it's possible to do it and live comfortably in a small space without the horrors of bucketshitting.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Architecture is a bastardized field of work. Once it was a comprehensive trade requiring not just juggling of building codes, but an innate talent for artistry as the architect designed every aspect of the structure down to the wainscotting. The Marine Building, now that's some loving architecture.

"Architects" today are just boring old structural engineers by another name when you're talking about towers, and exceedingly lovely designers when you get into single-family designs. Modern houses look like they caught window cancer, for example:

Zero attention paid to a number of factors, just a box with windows glued on wherever. Utter Garbage.

Rime fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 28, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
gently caress Arthur Erickson. If any of you ever have the fortune, check out his monstrosity of a halfway house on Hastings in the downtown eastside. It's run by everyone's favourite corrupt NGO Portland hotel society. It's like a loving supermax prison inside.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

gently caress Arthur Erickson. If any of you ever have the fortune, check out his monstrosity of a halfway house on Hastings in the downtown eastside. It's run by everyone's favourite corrupt NGO Portland hotel society. It's like a loving supermax prison inside.

Wasn't that literally the old remand though?

I did walk by it a couple of months back and marveled that I lived in a city where someone could safely suggest turning the former ghetto prison into social housing, for the same people it used to house even more temporarily. Best place on Earth.

Everything he built looks like a super max though. Cough, SFU, cough

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

eXXon posted:

Just in case anyone gets the impression that architects are solely to blame for condos for all looking the same and having substandard construction to boot... they're not. It's the developer that decides they want an all-glass exterior, and that they want it done as cheaply as possible to meet the bare minimum of safety regulations even if the entire exterior is going to require expensive repairs in 10 years or less. Architects are mainly responsible for trying to design a building that both meets the developers often unreasonable demands and safety/planning/urban design requirements. If the developer wants a cheap leaky piece of crap, they're going to get it one way or another.

Similarly, it wasn't architects who decided that stucco exteriors are appropriate for Canadian climates.

My favourite was the decision to use marble on the exterior of First Canadian Place, which they had to fully replace a couple years ago due to acid rain, wind, and thermal expansion having broken the marble off its mounts. They now use a special glass which is theorized not to do any of that (and looks better imo)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rime posted:

Architecture is a bastardized field of work. Once it was a comprehensive trade requiring not just juggling of building codes, but an innate talent for artistry as the architect designed every aspect of the structure down to the wainscotting. The Marine Building, now that's some loving architecture.

"Architects" today are just boring old structural engineers by another name when you're talking about towers, and exceedingly lovely designers when you get into single-family designs. Modern houses look like they caught window cancer, for example:

Zero attention paid to a number of factors, just a box with windows glued on wherever. Utter Garbage.

Old brownstone buildings are a work of art by comparison.

Also which place attempted to use stucco for the Canadian climate?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

etalian posted:

Old brownstone buildings are a work of art by comparison.

Also which place attempted to use stucco for the Canadian climate?

Vancouver loves stucco. There's tons of it here.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Vancouver doesn't have a Canadian climate though.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

FrozenVent posted:

They've been building california style stucco houses up in Kamloops since the 90's. I assumed it had infected the entire country by now.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I have seen stucco, as well as that horrific stuff where they stick gravel to the walls so it looks like 1 grit sandpaper, in Edmonton.

VVV: See? This is what I mean. Architecture is a dead field, anyone calling themselves an architect today should be dragged out back and shot for the good of humanity. :v:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
On the subject of dumb design. You guys should see all the loving flat roofed houses being built in Seattle. The bonus? No overhangs. 15 years from now you're going to be hearing about the Seattle Leaky House Crisis. I guarantee it.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

Canadian climate is so diverse as to be irrelevant for description. Toronto ranges from cold and snowy to hot and humid, Vancouver is generally temperate but wet, BC interior is closer to Toronto in behaviour but with greater extremes due to the mountains, Halifax is cold and wet, anywhere roughly north of those three is just cold.

On the subject of dumb design. You guys should see all the loving flat roofed houses being built in Seattle. The bonus? No overhangs. 15 years from now you're going to be hearing about the Seattle Leaky House Crisis. I guarantee it.

If built right flat roofs work just fine in non-snowy climates.

However, they're almost never built right on a large-scale basis.

I've been seeing a lot of flat-roofed places getting built in Vancouver as well.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Rime posted:

as well as that horrific stuff where they stick gravel to the walls so it looks like 1 grit sandpaper, in Edmonton.

This describes like every single house built in the 70s/early 80s in BC.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Vancouver loves stucco. There's tons of it here.

Lots in Calgary, too. I don't understand the appeal on any level, aesthetic or functional, especially when we now have good looking and functional synthetic sidings and such.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Canadian climate is so diverse as to be irrelevant for description. Toronto ranges from cold and snowy to hot and humid, Vancouver is generally temperate but wet, BC interior is closer to Toronto in behaviour but with greater extremes due to the mountains, Halifax is cold and wet, anywhere roughly north of those three is just cold.

If built right flat roofs work just fine in non-snowy climates.

However, they're almost never built right on a large-scale basis.

I've been seeing a lot of flat-roofed places getting built in Vancouver as well.

They still tend be more maintenance intensive for things such as keeping the drainage systems clear vs a pitched roof.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Anyone noticed the use of fake stone taking over from plastic siding and stucco?

The only reason people choose one material over another in Vancouver is because it's cheap. That's the common denominator for anything in Vancouver construction.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Anyone noticed the use of fake stone taking over from plastic siding and stucco?

The only reason people choose one material over another in Vancouver is because it's cheap. That's the common denominator for anything in Vancouver construction.

I hope the big bad wolf story gets updated to include a well built BC condo.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

etalian posted:

I hope the big bad wolf story gets updated to include a well built BC condo.

Have you seen all the million dollar bullshit townhouses on Cambie? They're all built of wood sooo

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

HookShot posted:

This describes like every single house built in the 70s/early 80s in BC.

Not just built, I'm renting an early 1920's victorian that had the exterior coated in this stuff around that time for some bizarre reason. Granted, the interior is riddled with the kind of horrific owner renovations that people were performing at the time (like painting the 1"x6" mahogany trim lime green, and then beige. :psyduck:) Nothing really surprises me in here anymore, aside from the fact that the K&T wiring hasn't overheated and burned the place down while I've been living here...

The best part about this is when the cheapo epoxy fails within a year due to heat/cold cycles, and the "rock" starts to fall off in chunks but the owner is too cheap to get it repaired so it just continues to crumble. It's like metaphor for modern Canada.

Rime fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 29, 2014

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rime posted:

The best part about this is when the cheapo epoxy fails within a year due to heat/cold cycles, and the "rock" starts to fall off in chunks but the owner is too cheap to get it repaired so it just continues to crumble. It's like metaphor for modern Canada.

There's tons of fake rock siding around Calgary, and I've never once seen what you're describing here. Do you really mean to say "within a year?" I could believe within a decade, but I can't say I've even seen that happen.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Rime posted:

Not just built, I'm renting an early 1920's victorian that had the exterior coated in this stuff around that time for some bizarre reason. Granted, the interior is riddled with the kind of horrific owner renovations that people were performing at the time (like painting the 1"x6" mahogany trim lime green, and then beige. :psyduck:) Nothing really surprises me in here anymore, aside from the fact that the K&T wiring hasn't overheated and burned the place down while I've been living here...

Hahhaha that's hilarious. When I was a kid I used to pick off any bits that I could off the side of our house, it was built in like 1980 or something on the Island. It was lots of fun as a kid!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

PT6A posted:

There's tons of fake rock siding around Calgary, and I've never once seen what you're describing here. Do you really mean to say "within a year?" I could believe within a decade, but I can't say I've even seen that happen.

I've seen it happen really frequently around here, albeit mainly on commercial fronts. I'm talking about the stuff that looks like stacked shale, sort of.

VVV: Tire-shingles are the bomb. Aside from weight-loading concerns in certain applications, they have zero downsides and look killer.

Rime fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 29, 2014

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rime posted:

I've seen it happen really frequently around here, albeit mainly on commercial fronts. I'm talking about the stuff that looks like stacked shale, sort of.

Yeah, I've seen the stuff you're talking about. I haven't seen any evidence of it falling apart, mind you. My parents' house has a bunch of fake rock that looks more flat, and it's not had a problem either.

A big problem is what developers are willing to use. My parents got their lovely wood shingle roof replaced with a synthetic rubber shingle roof made from re-processed tires. It has a 50-year warranty and it looks better than every other house in the area now, but you couldn't convince the original developer to use it for love or money.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Check out @BenRabidoux's Tweet: https://twitter.com/BenRabidoux/status/472000768992886784

Sask and Manitoba losing jerbs like no one's business.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Anyone who sees a big fat red "18.6% ANNUAL RETURN!" and goes in thinking it's legit deserves everything they get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is the picture cut off? I'm seeing a lot of asterisks but no fine print.