Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

demonR6 posted:

Impromptu Goon meet!?

I'm in the middle of shoveling a chili cheese dog and order of cheese fries down my throat at 3 AM.. this can only end well.

Actually on our way to the bus... our flight is in a few hours and we haven't packed yet. Gonna be a long day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Jose Valasquez posted:

Actually on our way to the bus... our flight is in a few hours and we haven't packed yet. Gonna be a long day

NP man, I should have thought of it sooner. Have a good flight!!!

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
We shut the park down. Rolled in about 9 when wishes was going.

Met Stromboli, facilier, cruela, lotso, big bad wolf, tinkerbell, malificent, and snow queen. Also knocked out enchanted tales with belle (me and my roommate both got suits of armor), mine train (friend's last day of her first visit in two years, great timing). Hall of pres, mansion, dumbo, TTA. All in all a pretty productive night. We had fun.

Now to pass out until five when I have to take her to the airport.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

demonR6 posted:

Me - that's a nice Belle costume on her
Wife - you're staring at her boobs captain obvious
Me - hey let's buy you that hat you liked!

Good save.

I am heading into Magic Kingdom now that the CM blanket ban is lifted. Gonna try and ride mine train if they are still soft opening, but mostly just ride some stuff before Saturday crowds get too bad, but first I am going to have some Tonga Toast at the poly.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Bravest folks were a Mr and Mrs Incredible in full latex outfits entering the park when the madness was starting around 12am. I wonder if there is a version of shellshock for CMs, as I saw a few thousand yard stares as I was leaving. Now off to the nerd hell scape that will be MGM(I will continue calling it that).

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Quixotic1 posted:

Bravest folks were a Mr and Mrs Incredible in full latex outfits entering the park when the madness was starting around 12am. I wonder if there is a version of shellshock for CMs, as I saw a few thousand yard stares as I was leaving. Now off to the nerd hell scape that will be MGM(I will continue calling it that).

I noticed the same things with some CMs. Had a few wander right into my wife and I and apologize, or others aimlessly standing in place and have to be turned and pointed into the right direction by another CM because they were well past running on empty.

And yes, it will always be MGM. I'm going there on Sunday. This afternoon/evening is my Epcot stop.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Overall it was a good experience for us although the chili dogs and fries at 3AM just before riding SM was probably not the smartest thing but meh. We did get on 7DMT after an hour long wait and every time someone around us complained, wife included, I said to the effect of imagine we are here on a normal day like tomorrow with expected temps reaching 96 plus humidity so 100+ with that factored in. Now imagine that with miserable, smelly people towing crying kids along as well. This ain't so bad now huh? Aaaand we're quiet again. Total time start to finish for the ride was 2:10 including the slow down in the middle of the ride as it went through the section with the dwarves doing their song and dance. A little less end to end that Barnstormer. I rate this below SM and BTM RR in terms of fun factor, it's nice but not over one hour in the queue nice but FP+, sure.

Amazing though how even when the park was busy in the wee hours and there was no FP the lines went so smoothly for us. Never more than 15 minute wait except that everything kept breaking down.

We shut the place down as well, got home and I got up at noon-thirty today. As it got later and more of the freaks were left around us it got interesting.

Next one has to be a goon meet though, don't know why we did not think about this. poo poo we can't be worse than some of the groups that were in there last night.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Quixotic1 posted:

I wonder if there is a version of shellshock for CMs, as I saw a few thousand yard stares as I was leaving. Now off to the nerd hell scape that will be MGM(I will continue calling it that).

Yes, there totally is. It's one of the reasons you don't see CMs in the parks when it's super crowded, even when they're allowed to be in there. They avoid the parks at those times when not working, because being there at those times can trigger the PTSD. Symptoms include uncontrollably and irrationally helping guests even when you're not working/in uniform, walking around with a clearly pasted on smile and the eyes of a dead man, and 100% complete mental and emotional withdrawal.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I'll second that Mine Train is not worth a long wait in line (which is sure to get when it opens) but I had a lot of fun on it. I waited about 35 minutes tops to get on (after being told an hour) and the queue was fun and interactive. The big drop is actually quite thrilling for what amounts to a slightly more intricate Barnstormer.

As a note, if you are on the larger side of things, it is a tight fit, but I managed it and it was a blast. This summer, this is a must FP unless the line is less than 50 minutes.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Quick non-sequitur: is Captain Eo still playing, and is Honey I Shrunk the Audience dead forever?

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Yes and if there's a merciful god in heaven I hope so.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Lincoln posted:

Quick non-sequitur: is Captain Eo still playing, and is Honey I Shrunk the Audience dead forever?

While back I heard a rumor (which at Disney World can go a million different ways) that we may see something from Pixar's new film about imagination take up residence in the theater. Who the hell knows though.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Captain Eo was still playing last October when I was there. We were going to see it but missed it by a few minutes and decided to call it a night.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
I remember being at Pleasure Island as a teen, hoping one day I could come back and go to the clubs. Guess that wasn't not in the cards. Any ideas for stuff to appeal to twentysomethings at WDW/Universal? The girl I'm going with and I are both huge Disney buffs and have already done all the behind-the-scenes tours.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Saeku posted:

I remember being at Pleasure Island as a teen, hoping one day I could come back and go to the clubs. Guess that wasn't not in the cards. Any ideas for stuff to appeal to twentysomethings at WDW/Universal? The girl I'm going with and I are both huge Disney buffs and have already done all the behind-the-scenes tours.

So many memorable late nights at Mannequins. Sorry to hear that. A good friend of mine was in the club last year and took some pics, it was sad to see.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Captain Eo was having shows tonight. Saw people entering that area.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Saeku posted:

Universal's Citywalk still has clubs and of course if you're brave enough to venture downtown there is less touristy nightlife over there. I never liked the downtown scene even when I was living there though.

There are also bars at many WDW resorts that can get lively. There's a rehearsed vibe going on at a lot of them, but when there are enough people around you can ignore the holodeck feel. For example, Port Orleans has a little jazz/blues themed bar that's a bit too clean and quiet to be authentic, particularly when you realize the band is going through the same set of half a dozen songs like a recording. But I've gotten drunk there with my mom no less, and we ended up talking to people from all over the world. If you want a less chill and more frantic atmosphere, there are still places in what's currently left of downtown disney and the larger premium resorts to suit your needs. I forget the name, but the Cuban joint's bar near Cirque du Soleil is always fairly lively.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

The things I would do just to visit the Adventurer's club one more time; Just have to settle on a Trader Sam at the Polynesian I guess.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Nathilus posted:

I forget the name, but the Cuban joint's bar near Cirque du Soleil is always fairly lively.

Bongos. Great food and almost always lively and entertaining.

Although a sneakily great place to drink, a lot, is Rain Forest Cafe. They're always eager to see how strong of a drink they can make for you. The Downtown one, not the Animal Kingdom one.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Since I was tiny I always wanted to go look at that stupid Honey I Shrunk The Kids playground. I'm pretty determined to walk in there, pat the climbing ant and leave just so I can say I did. :colbert:

Rainforest Cafe is great themeing and great drinking but drat their stuff is overpriced. Not like, Disney overpriced. Just overpriced overpriced.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A4vjeYLcXw

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
So I flew from Boston to San Francisco to see my parents for a few weeks and have decided to take a last minute trip down to Anaheim

Its about time I checked out Carsland

But man. Last minute hotel prices are less fun.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
It's my last night on my most recent stay and we took in Star Wars Weekend today. I think they've managed to improve on everything from last year. Though last year was the first time I was ever able to go, so it's a small sample. The Darth Mall was moved into a better place so you're actually inside most of the time you're in line to go into the store area. The merchandise, I felt, was a little better, especially for the Passholder stuff. I also thought the diversity of characters randomly walking around was better with the Cantina band, Tusken Raiders, stormtroopers and several bounty hunters walking around.

Although after 25 years of visiting MGM, I finally saw the 'western' show part of the Great Movie Ride. Somehow I had only ever seen the gangster part of it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

So I flew from Boston to San Francisco to see my parents for a few weeks and have decided to take a last minute trip down to Anaheim

Its about time I checked out Carsland

But man. Last minute hotel prices are less fun.

Radiator Springs Racers is great. The rest of it looks like cheapo carnival rides to me. The themeing is spot on though. It looks like you walked right into the movie, so that's well done. Flo's was DEAD when we were there but seeing as it's the end of May, hit the fast pass or single ride line for RSR then go get food (if you wanna eat in cars land) in my opinion.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I am gonna be spending my summer and fall rocking the Tea Cups and Winnie the Pooh. I dig it.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
My wife and I are planning our one year anniversary slash honeymoon for October 18-27 2014. Right in the food/wine fest, and were looking at the Boardwalk Inn. Central location looks nice, but I've heard from a couple sources that the buses to MK and AK from there are especially bad, any truth to that? I don't think its gonna get any more convenient than walking to two parks and bussing to the other two.

For some background, we are 30ish, childless, live in DC and have no car and so are used to decent to good public transit and walking multiple miles a day so that part doesn't bother us.

The Deluxe Dining plan would be way too much food for us, but were on the fence about the regular plan. Opinions on how that calculus changes with Food & Wine fest would also be welcome.

John T Scrungus
Oct 23, 2010

:confused:
I've been thinking of going to eat at a nice Disney Restaurant for my birthday next year since I'm turning 21. I live within 30-ish miles of Disney World so the only expensive part would be paying for the meal.

Any suggestions? The only restaurant that's too pricey is Victoria and Albert's since I'll be eating with both of my parents.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

JoshTheStampede posted:

My wife and I are planning our one year anniversary slash honeymoon for October 18-27 2014. Right in the food/wine fest, and were looking at the Boardwalk Inn. Central location looks nice, but I've heard from a couple sources that the buses to MK and AK from there are especially bad, any truth to that? I don't think its gonna get any more convenient than walking to two parks and bussing to the other two.

For some background, we are 30ish, childless, live in DC and have no car and so are used to decent to good public transit and walking multiple miles a day so that part doesn't bother us.

The Deluxe Dining plan would be way too much food for us, but were on the fence about the regular plan. Opinions on how that calculus changes with Food & Wine fest would also be welcome.

F&W dining will not be included in the package so if you all are like my wife and I, we have something to eat and drink at nearly every stop. By the time all is said and done we can blow through $100+ easily. If you think the Deluxe Dining package would be overkill then you can probably figure out an option that suits you both better and won't cost as much.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

The Daltony posted:

I've been thinking of going to eat at a nice Disney Restaurant for my birthday next year since I'm turning 21. I live within 30-ish miles of Disney World so the only expensive part would be paying for the meal.

Any suggestions? The only restaurant that's too pricey is Victoria and Albert's since I'll be eating with both of my parents.

What do you like to eat? Artist Point is my go to for really nice food/atmosphere. It's not as adventurous/exciting as some of the other ones, but everything they make is awesome.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I am gonna be spending my summer and fall rocking the Tea Cups and Winnie the Pooh. I dig it.

One of my favourite memories from the last time my daughter and I were at DisneyWorld (last October) was her being nervous about riding Pooh. So I told her if she's worried about something to ask the cast member at the ride about what she's concerned about (since she wouldn't tell me). She walks up to the girl working the line and goes "Excuse me... Are there any Heffalumps or Woozels on this ride?" I'm pretty sure my bursting out laughing didn't help things, but the girl was very nice and said there were, but she keeps them all trapped inside the ride, which seemed to calm my daughter's nerves. So have fun serving as a distinguished Woozel wrangler.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005

The Daltony posted:

My girlfriend and I had her birthday dinner at Artist Point at the Wilderness Lodge when we went a few months back, based on a lot of recommendations (including many here). It was absolutely as good as advertised, maybe best meal I've had at Disney (note that I haven't eaten at V&A's or the high-end steakhouses). Incredible food, good atmosphere, and the Wilderness Lodge is so cool to just walk around or sit in the lobby for a bit before and after dinner.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

JoshTheStampede posted:

You can use your snack credits at some Food & Wine kiosks. So if you did the standard dining plan, and you wanted to do Food & Wine, it could be quite pricey. For a couple, I think the dining plan can be the way to go, especially if you're thinking about doing a lot of table service restaurants and you want to pre-pay for your trip. If you're thinking you'll do a lot of quick service or you do a lot of meal sharing, I don't think it's going to be your best financial bet.

If you want any help with your trip, send me a PM. I love booking trips for honeymooners.

John T Scrungus
Oct 23, 2010

:confused:

Happitoo posted:

What do you like to eat? Artist Point is my go to for really nice food/atmosphere. It's not as adventurous/exciting as some of the other ones, but everything they make is awesome.

I'm open to anything but I totally forgot about Artist Point. All I'm really looking for is good food and a couple good drinks with my parents.

Honestly the only Disney resort I've even been inside of is Art of Animation so anything else would be totally new.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
We'll be eating at California Grill for our anniversary next weekend, stoked about that.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Braksgirl posted:

You can use your snack credits at some Food & Wine kiosks. So if you did the standard dining plan, and you wanted to do Food & Wine, it could be quite pricey. For a couple, I think the dining plan can be the way to go, especially if you're thinking about doing a lot of table service restaurants and you want to pre-pay for your trip. If you're thinking you'll do a lot of quick service or you do a lot of meal sharing, I don't think it's going to be your best financial bet.

If you want any help with your trip, send me a PM. I love booking trips for honeymooners.

I am a big restaurant nerd, my wife is not so much but likes good food and likes to humor me. I think the compromise is going to be 2-3 nice table dinners over the course of the week, and basically high-end park food and snacks the rest of the time, and probably like, everything at Food & Wine.

Would we be better off with the Quick Service Plan and just pay for our table meals out of pocket? With the standard plan can you trade down table credits for quick service ones?

I'll definitely send you a PM to compare package stuff after we get a quote from the Disney site - we have our flights booked but are waiting on a Disney credit card to arrive to book the actual vacation.

Oh, related question - it's both our one-year anniversary and our honeymoon, since we didn't have the money or vacation time to take one last year when we got married. Which of those is a better word to drop to get free poo poo?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

JoshTheStampede posted:

I am a big restaurant nerd, my wife is not so much but likes good food and likes to humor me. I think the compromise is going to be 2-3 nice table dinners over the course of the week, and basically high-end park food and snacks the rest of the time, and probably like, everything at Food & Wine.

Would we be better off with the Quick Service Plan and just pay for our table meals out of pocket? With the standard plan can you trade down table credits for quick service ones?

I'll definitely send you a PM to compare package stuff after we get a quote from the Disney site - we have our flights booked but are waiting on a Disney credit card to arrive to book the actual vacation.

Oh, related question - it's both our one-year anniversary and our honeymoon, since we didn't have the money or vacation time to take one last year when we got married. Which of those is a better word to drop to get free poo poo?

I would use honeymoon to try to get the most pixie dust. But they don't make it rain on people like they used to. You'll mostly get free cupcakes at table service restaurants.

You can use the QS plan and pay out of pocket for TS meals, but I don't think that's going to make much sense, honestly. You're overpaying for QS meals with the QS plan as it is, so you'll just be way overpaying. With the standard dining plan, you can use TS credits for QS meals, but it's not a great monetary use of the plan. If I were you, I'd forgo a dining plan probably. If you're worried about budget, I'd load up a few Disney gift cards and use them to pay for food.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
$150 for a 1-day park hopper!?!?!

Im paying less than that for my hotel

Radiator Springs Racers better be loving amazing

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BlueBayou posted:

$150 for a 1-day park hopper!?!?!

Im paying less than that for my hotel

Radiator Springs Racers better be loving amazing

It's not. Jump the fence.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Got to ride every ride in Fantasyland today while getting paid. Pixie dust is straight pouring out my ears.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Got to ride every ride in Fantasyland today while getting paid. Pixie dust is straight pouring out my ears.

Up until recently I had only seen the Hall of Presidents on the clock for my Adventureland/Liberty Square training.

Those were the best training days ever. We also used to ride Pirates all the time for a "Show and Animation check".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

still a child
Dec 21, 2005

banana moon
So, this is kind of random, but I'm going to Orlando for a week in June and will have a couple of days to go to Disney World but no one to go with. Does anyone who lives in the area want to meet up for a ride or two? I'll be there June 11-13. Promise I'm not a weirdo!