Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

aers posted:

https://twitter.com/debaoki/status/470335584775319552

CR got the license, saved from the tyranny of Nicovideo.

Their day is wrong though.

But... doesn't Crunchyroll require paid subscriptions or something? Or do they do what hulu does and lock off content to free users until like a week or two later?

What was wrong with NicoNico?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

aers posted:

Someone in that Twitter convo is also stating that it'll be simulcast on Hulu as well. If that's true, that's pretty awesome (for me since I just resubbed to Hulu to watch SM).

jkyuusai fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 25, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

RMZXAnarchy posted:

But... doesn't Crunchyroll require paid subscriptions or something? Or do they do what hulu does and lock off content to free users until like a week or two later?

What was wrong with NicoNico?

They do the Hulu thing.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

They do the Hulu thing.

Ugh.

Can't wait to be a week or two late to every new episode because gently caress paying for streaming. I bet they show ads too.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Free accounts on Crunchyroll don't get HD, and they have to wait until the next episode of a show is out before it's available. Heck, considering how they're airing one episode every 2 weeks, you can always snag a free 48 hour pass in the thread for giving them out since CR gives those passes away like candy.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

jkyuusai posted:

Someone in that Twitter convo is also stating that it'll be simulcast on Hulu as well. If that's true, that's pretty awesome (for me since I just resubbed to Hulu to watch SM).

Can confirm Hulu/NeonAlley streaming.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

It's always been the series's neatest quality. Usagi is clumsy, dumb, petty, jealous, and overall a turd of a person a majority of the time. Blah blah blah power of friendship she gets serious etc, but there are still some absolutely Seinfeld-esque moments for her throughout the anime. It's great, since it's nearly a Cinderella story where one of Cinderella's sisters gets the glass show.

Usagi is far from perfect, and it just makes all the non-magical girl stuff in the series magic in their own way.:allears:

Yeah the lazy dumb goofball from season 1 is not the same person who (SuperS Spoilers) Refuses to kill someone in revenge for throwing her child off a cliff (ie: the best excuse to kill someone if there ever was one) and then for an encore chases after said child. whilst it's now a non person, the dub sold that moment with an armour piercing "I still pity you." from Serena.

It's like seeing Goku mature into Kenshiro or something.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 25, 2014

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Ugh.

Can't wait to be a week or two late to every new episode because gently caress paying for streaming. I bet they show ads too.

Actually Crunchyroll doesn't have ads even if you're watching for free. Just that you can't watch it in 1080p and you can't stream it on consoles/tablets/phones unless you have a subscribed account, but PC streaming is still okay.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Revolver Bunker posted:

Actually Crunchyroll doesn't have ads even if you're watching for free. Just that you can't watch it in 1080p and you can't stream it on consoles/tablets/phones unless you have a subscribed account, but PC streaming is still okay.
Huh, that's a change from when last i tried it use it sans subscription.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Ugh.

This is kind of a weird attitude to have, but enjoyment of Sailor Moon trumps all so check your PM inbox. I always forget to do anything with my guest passes and those will get you the first two episodes at least!

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

You can watch Crunchyroll on a tablet without a subscription. It'll run a couple ads but they're only ever 25~ seconds at the most.

It's the same loving Claritin commercial half the time.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

aers posted:

Hopefully it's an international licence. If it's locked to just North America then it's going to be super annoying.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Ugh.

Why is paying for streaming to watch a brand new show a non-option for you?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Crunchyroll is a buck less than netflix, has nearly all the new shows, and doesn't show ads. It's almost assumed that people here have Crunchyroll subscriptions, and that news was exciting because it meant with the subs we currently have we could watch it :shrug:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TheHeadSage posted:

Hopefully it's an international licence. If it's locked to just North America then it's going to be super annoying.

Not to mention super pirated.

Not condoning the action, mind. Just going to not sit here and say they totally didn't deserve every bit of Skull and Crossbones action wrought on them for it.

Assuming it's not a Worldwide Minus Japan licence.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 25, 2014

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

jkyuusai posted:

Waiting a week is just more cost-efficient really. A week isn't a big deal and I don't mind ads either so I don't feel any need to subscribe really.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Revolver Bunker posted:

You can't access all of the episodes of a series or some series at all.

But hey, if you pay for the subscription service, they will also extend discounts on all their merch in their online store, so you can get a decent discount on figurines and stuff, if that's your bag.

And I also have a few guest passes I can toss around to other people in the thread.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

jkyuusai posted:

Its not, streaming is just very iffy for me. I have a netflix subscription and I frequently have issues with the video quality just dropping off into ugly blockiness. So paying for it just seems like a bad investment, however if they don't have ads I'll probably reconsider once the time comes.

Darksaber posted:

This is kind of a weird attitude to have, but enjoyment of Sailor Moon trumps all so check your PM inbox. I always forget to do anything with my guest passes and those will get you the first two episodes at least!

I'll definitely use those.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
Technically, Crunchyroll free has ads, but unlike with Hulu, your adblocker should stop them.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I'm not sure why it would be Crunchyroll's fault if they can't get all the European licenses for the show, given that Sailor Moon is a huge property in Europe and there is probably tons of competition over there. I'm sure Wakanim is trying hard to get it, for one.

Toei also likes to pretend Europe doesn't exist

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

I want you to meet my little friend, Mister Stabby!

AndyP posted:

Technically, Crunchyroll free has ads, but unlike with Hulu, your adblocker should stop them.

Adblock Plus does it for me.

Kitten Head Ridge
Apr 3, 2009

It is surprising how much space is needed to 'swing a cat'!

Obligatory Toast posted:

You can't access all of the episodes of a series or some series at all.

But hey, if you pay for the subscription service, they will also extend discounts on all their merch in their online store, so you can get a decent discount on figurines and stuff, if that's your bag.

And I also have a few guest passes I can toss around to other people in the thread.
It's been a while since I have marathoned shows on any streaming site, but I'm pretty certain that having few to no episodes at for a series on Crunchyroll is still the exception rather than the rule. For the hell of it, I went and checked to see if all episodes of Galaxy Express 999, a 113-episode series, are still available to free membership subscribers and they are.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Having a Crunchyroll subscription makes me feel good about contributing a little bit of money to the industry, since I've had to cut back on disc releases. A decade ago I was buying 3-4 DVD singles per month, now I'm buying 3-4 Blu-ray sets per year.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kitten Head Ridge posted:

It's been a while since I have marathoned shows on any streaming site, but I'm pretty certain that having few to no episodes at for a series on Crunchyroll is still the exception rather than the rule. For the hell of it, I went and checked to see if all episodes of Galaxy Express 999, a 113-episode series, are still available to free membership subscribers and they are.

Sometimes they throw up an entire series and gradually make the episodes available to free members in chunks at a time. I can't think of anything on the site that free members will never be able to watch, however. Not that it means they don't exist, just that they're quite rare.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Not to mention super pirated.

Not condoning the action, mind. Just going to not sit here and say they totally didn't deserve every bit of Skull and Crossbones action wrought on them for it.

Assuming it's not a Worldwide Minus Japan licence.

Its more that if there is a separate license for Australia then Madman will probably get it and their streaming service doesn't work for me where CR works fine.

Time to wait and see I guess.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Does Crunchy Roll have dubs for any shows? I'm just now looking at this site, and considering signing up so I can catch up on a bunch of shows. I was just curious to see if they have dubs for older shows.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The only dub I have ever seen on Crunchyroll is the Viewtiful Joe anime.

You don't want to watch the Viewtiful Joe anime.

Edit: Also, you don't have to sign up to watch the majority of the site's backlog, as long as you don't mind blockable ads and watching in standard def.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 28, 2014

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There's a list here, but there's just a handful. Crunchyroll's specialty is subs.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
The thing is that the IP rights for dubs generally fall under the studio that produces them, so CR would have to pay to host them and the dub studios themselves would stand to make way more using them to move actual product so they're unlikely to give them up anyways.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

There's a list here, but there's just a handful. Crunchyroll's specialty is subs.

RWBY is not dubbed, it was made in English.

I'm still flummoxed by why that's even on Crunchyroll.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

RWBY is not dubbed, it was made in English.

I'm still flummoxed by why that's even on Crunchyroll.

It's imitating anime, which is good enough for the audience they want.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think that might be a case where Rooster Teeth wants RWBY on Crunchyroll more than Crunchyroll wants RWBY. Honestly, if they had any sense it would be on youtube like Cartoon Hangover but RWBY is not fueled by sense.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Devil Tesla posted:

I think that might be a case where Rooster Teeth wants RWBY on Crunchyroll more than Crunchyroll wants RWBY. Honestly, if they had any sense it would be on youtube like Cartoon Hangover but RWBY is not fueled by sense.

It IS on Youtube, though!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh yea, but like a week late tho. It's not where they launch.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://www.animenation.net/blog/2014/05/29/ask-john-will-fangirls-support-the-ccs-sailor-moon-re-releases/

read this for a laugh

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I remember he blamed women for the anime bubble bursting in the US in the 2000s because "women don't buy anime". If he has ever written anything where he hasn't talked out of his rear end I haven't seen it.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Is he really using 4Kids edited dubs and the Creamy Mami crowdfunding project as reasons that the Sailor Moon and CCS re-releases will fail? That's like comparing apples and orangutangs.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

What's Creamy Mami?

Also he mentions how Viz hasn't announced their plans for Sailor Moon's release, if that's supposedly the case then how does he explain this image from one of Viz's recent panels?

I think that pretty clearly shows the release plan. Maybe not the pace they'll be going at but it shows that they're likely going to do 2 parts per season.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

That guy is ridiculous. What's he got against casual female anime fans? Resting his reasoning on comparisons between crowdsourced niche releases and big companies' releases of big name shows is so silly that it's almost hard to believe that he believes it himself.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the Madman Entertainment uncut edition of Cardcaptor Sakura's anime that came out in 2012 has sold well. I see no reason that NISA's wouldn't sell well in North America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

RMZXAnarchy posted:

What's Creamy Mami?

It's a magical girl series from 1983. The crowdfunded DVD boxsets from AnimeSols are its first English-language release, so not many people are familiar with the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF7FA60IF5I

• Locked thread