Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
I'm in the same boat. The recent double frame nerfs plus the PvP thing have put me into a 'wait and see' attitude. I still like this game, and I want to play it, but right now I'd rather just explore my Steam backlog. I'm going to wait and see what they do before I play some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Shugojin posted:

Maybe if I could find the new areas to fund things in. And maybe if the interface to do so weren't the shittiest thing.

I think there's only a few things that need resource donations. A few decorations need resources and one of the reactors in the ghetto needs a forma or five, but it doesn't matter since we have enough energy to add anything to the dojo that we want at this point, so nobody cares. Most of it is poo poo that people loathe farming; Plastids, Poly bundles and ferrite.

TheMostFrench posted:

I tried to do a thing in the dojo, and it told me I did not have the permissions. I should probably look up how to do things.

That's because the game does not distinguish between "Dude who can place decorations in the dojo to make a bridge-zilla monster" and "Unthinking asshat who will repeatedly move rooms placed by the clan leader because he's too lazy to walk an extra 30 feet" Or between "Dude who can entirely demolish anything in the dojo with a single click and essentially reset the entire dojo to nothing in about 10 hours, give or take". So we're stingy with who we give the Sperglord rank to.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
I was under the impression that Spectres suck, but I threw down one of the lovely tier ones in a survival on Jupiter and it kept on trucking until 20 minutes. Someone with more insight please advise.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Spectres suck because :goonsay:

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.

hooah posted:

My question was whether or not I should level them all the way up or not. Does that depend on what I'll be putting them in?

I think the efficiency one is the only one you don't want to level all the way, efficiency is capped at I think either 75 or 80%. Blind Rage you may or may not want to max depending on whether or not you want positive energy usage. The weapon ones I'm not so sure but I know Tainted Shell maxed out is amazing on the sweeper as it turns its shotgun into a sniper rifle, then you put it on a Djinn and have it snipe things from 60m away.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Shalhavet posted:

I was under the impression that Spectres suck, but I threw down one of the lovely tier ones in a survival on Jupiter and it kept on trucking until 20 minutes. Someone with more insight please advise.

They're very expensive to build, take a very long time, their kills don't award you XP, and they don't use powers reliably.

That said, put Tigris on a Vapor if you want a laugh.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

DelphiAegis posted:

I think there's only a few things that need resource donations. A few decorations need resources and one of the reactors in the ghetto needs a forma or five, but it doesn't matter since we have enough energy to add anything to the dojo that we want at this point, so nobody cares. Most of it is poo poo that people loathe farming; Plastids, Poly bundles and ferrite.

That's because the game does not distinguish between "Dude who can place decorations in the dojo to make a bridge-zilla monster" and "Unthinking asshat who will repeatedly move rooms placed by the clan leader because he's too lazy to walk an extra 30 feet" Or between "Dude who can entirely demolish anything in the dojo with a single click and essentially reset the entire dojo to nothing in about 10 hours, give or take". So we're stingy with who we give the Sperglord rank to.

Well on that note, what's the deal with rooms that have decorations placed over doors so that you can't leave them?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

TheMostFrench posted:

Well on that note, what's the deal with rooms that have decorations placed over doors so that you can't leave them?

Comedy.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

TheMostFrench posted:

Invite your non-Goon friends into the Dojo and laugh at them.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

TheMostFrench posted:

It's Delphis way of saying don't go in here, this room isn't used for anything dumbass.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Sandweed posted:

It's Delphis way of saying don't go in here, this room isn't used for anything dumbass.

Like the Obstacle Course
or the Rail Labs
or the Observatory

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Sandweed posted:

I feel like this would work better if the blockage faced the other way so it wouldn't be necessary to quit the dojo because I walked into a room by accident, but I guess the dojo isn't really good for much besides getting a few blueprints anyway.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm having a hard time really understanding what my near/mid/long term goals are supposed to be with this game. I'm using my starting warframe, leveling up my weapons and warframe, passed the first 2 mastery tests, and have hosed around with goons a little.

In, say, Diablo 3, I generally knew that I wanted better gear drops to become stronger and be able to play higher difficulty levels to... get better gear drops to do the same over and over. I'm far less certain what I'm supposed to actually be doing in this game besides kinda hope I can find people to play through Venus with that don't have pings beyond 300.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ShaneB posted:

I'm having a hard time really understanding what my near/mid/long term goals are supposed to be with this game. I'm using my starting warframe, leveling up my weapons and warframe, passed the first 2 mastery tests, and have hosed around with goons a little.

In, say, Diablo 3, I generally knew that I wanted better gear drops to become stronger and be able to play higher difficulty levels to... get better gear drops to do the same over and over. I'm far less certain what I'm supposed to actually be doing in this game besides kinda hope I can find people to play through Venus with that don't have pings beyond 300.

Make the bars on your guns, frames, and mods go up. Then when they can't go up any more, either reset them with a puzzle piece or build new guns and frames and get new mods so you can make their bars go up. That is what it means to Warframe. It is a more interactive Progress Quest.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

ShaneB posted:

The best weapons are mastery level-locked, but the real upgrading comes through mods. The difference between a weapon with no mods and one with a maxed-out Serration is huge.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So grind for mod drops in just any ol' level, trade with goons, or are there specific methods for doing so?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

ShaneB posted:

So grind for mod drops in just any ol' level, trade with goons, or are there specific methods for doing so?

If you don't have Redirection, Serration, Hornet Strike, and Pressure Point (Edit: forgot Split Chamber and Barrel Diffusion, get those too), go into clan chat and ask/beg for someone to trade you one. Level these up about halfway or so while playing through the game normally. Fuse multiples of any mods with the same symbol you get in the corner into those four mods (always keeping at least one of each mod, don't fuse them all away) until they're about halfway leveled up or so. Then start fusing up other useful mods (+element damage and boosts to powers, mostly) until they're about halfway fused up, too. At this point you can start working on grinding out whatever useful mods you haven't picked up along the way (check the wiki for where a specific mod drops) and maxing out your core six mods. Along the way keep picking up new weapons/warframes, just keep building them and maxing them out for more mastery. Also try to be leveling a few things at once - you typically only need one "good" weapon equipped, you can drag two others along for XP purposes without a problem (well, aside from those that have ammo count problems).

Piell fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 27, 2014

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

ShaneB posted:

Specific enemies drop specific mods. You can use the scanning mechanic in-game to have the codex tell you about it, or you can realize that sounds like a giant dumb pain and just look it up on the wiki instead.

But just ask in clan chat and someone will shower a complete set of essentials on you. There are semi-reliable sources for the damage and multishot cards, but getting to the point of manipulating them without already having those mods would be a huge pain in the pass. I'm probably not alone in specifically hoarding those mods to hand out to new players.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Piell posted:

If you don't have Redirection, Serration, Hornet Strike, and Pressure Point (Edit: forgot Split Chamber and Barrel Diffusion, get those too), go into clan chat and ask/beg for someone to trade you one. Level these up about halfway or so while playing through the game normally. Fuse multiples of any mods with the same symbol you get in the corner into those four mods (always keeping at least one of each mod, don't fuse them all away) until they're about halfway leveled up or so. Then start fusing up other useful mods (+element damage and boosts to powers, mostly) until they're about halfway fused up, too. At this point you can start working on grinding out whatever useful mods you haven't picked up along the way (check the wiki for where a specific mod drops) and maxing out your core six mods. Along the way keep picking up new weapons/warframes, just keep building them and maxing them out for more mastery. Also try to be leveling a few things at once - you typically only need one "good" weapon equipped, you can drag two others along for XP purposes without a problem (well, aside from those that have ammo count problems).

What is "halfway"? This is helpful. I have all of those core ones so far, I think.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ShaneB posted:

What is "halfway"? This is helpful. I have all of those core ones so far, I think.

Till half the pips on the left are white instead of black.

I love cats
Feb 8, 2012

ShaneB posted:

kinda hope I can find people to play through Venus with that don't have pings beyond 300.

Go to options and change your max ping to 175 - 200.

Don't worry if you get messages which tell you how no players could be found with your steep ping requirement. Click start in spite of that message. Players will join your session soon after.

Personally, I find missions more interesting to play solo than matched with other players, who may be inadequate for your playstile, speed or knowledge of the tile set.

Say you want to be a stealth sperg and some tank dude who just joined your session rushes through the mission and fucks that up. Or, worse, you can't keep up with your team, and those guys don't care to wait for you. Consequently, you get almost no XP (which is shared within a limited radius), and you forfeit your credit reward because you did not make it to extraction.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

So I'm liking my akstilleto's, rolling hornet strike, lethal torrent, pistol gambit, and barrel diffusion on it, with elemental damage as needed, and now I'm getting to the point with them that they need forma to still fit the mods as I upgrade them. Is there a better machine pistol that I should try to get?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Twin Wraith Vipers may be better but if you don't have them already you can't get them anyway. Those are in the top 5 highest DPS sidearms in the game according to dpsframe. But if you look at the fire rate, Akstiletto is way lower and thus has a lot better ammo efficiency.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

So I'm liking my akstilleto's, rolling hornet strike, lethal torrent, pistol gambit, and barrel diffusion on it, with elemental damage as needed, and now I'm getting to the point with them that they need forma to still fit the mods as I upgrade them. Is there a better machine pistol that I should try to get?

Akstillettos are just really fun to shoot. If you like a gun that much, and enjoy shooting it, it doesn't matter if it's Vipes, Gremlins, dexFuris, or Stillettos, go ahead and forma it out to really have good fun with it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Vriess posted:

Akstillettos are just really fun to shoot. If you like a gun that much, and enjoy shooting it, it doesn't matter if it's Vipes, Gremlins, dexFuris, or Stillettos, go ahead and forma it out to really have good fun with it.

Don't forma a spectra, though. Don't even build one, unless you want to hope in vain that DE will remember that it exists and is awful. I don't think there is anyone who could enjoy shooting that gun. I would build dual spectras if they added them.

vvvv Lanka is cool and on the higher end of sniper rifles (which is still well below explosive weapons or most normal rifles for effectiveness). I prefer Vectis or snipetron vandal over it personally, since they're hit scan and don't have to charge up, but if you're after a sniper rifle you can do worse than a Lanka.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 27, 2014

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
On the subject of lovely energy weapons, how is the Lanka? That's the one thing that seemed interesting so I have the blueprint sitting in my foundry.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
The Lanka is a doomcannon. On the other hand, if you charge it up and aim it doesn't have any splash damage like the Ogris so...welp.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Snackpack Backpack posted:

On the subject of lovely energy weapons, how is the Lanka? That's the one thing that seemed interesting so I have the blueprint sitting in my foundry.

Lanka is an electricity damage bow. If you've tried out the other bows, and that sounds like your jam, then it'll be great.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I don't remember bows having innate punch through. Lanka is fun if you increase the fire rate to something that suits the gameplay better. DE is going to buff sniping weapons it looks like so we'll see what happens.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

I don't remember bows having innate punch through. Lanka is fun if you increase the fire rate to something that suits the gameplay better. DE is going to buff sniping weapons it looks like so we'll see what happens.

Bows were overhauled a little while back. Their damage was pumped up across the board and they all have 5m of penetration when charged, exactly as the Lanka. The better bows (Paris Prime, Dread) have a much higher crit than Lanka, though the Lanka wins out in raw base damage.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I'm surprised that they haven't developed a classic Eraser/Quake 2 Railgun yet. because that's the most obvious awesome weapon to make there is

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

TheRationalRedditor posted:

I'm surprised that they haven't developed a classic Eraser/Quake 2 Railgun yet. because that's the most obvious awesome weapon to make there is

This is DE. They made a gun that shoots loving sawblades the second worst weapon in the game. It's worse than the loving starter pistol, and even with a maxxed hornet strike, that does like, 15 damage per shot or something retarded.

Honestly at this point, I'm along to see how pants on head retarded DE can make things.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Male Man posted:

Bows were overhauled a little while back. Their damage was pumped up across the board and they all have 5m of penetration when charged, exactly as the Lanka. The better bows (Paris Prime, Dread) have a much higher crit than Lanka, though the Lanka wins out in raw base damage.

Err, I think you're confusing the Lanka (chargeable Corpus sniper rifle wuth insanely high potential damage per shot) with the Cernos (impact damage bow).

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

DelphiAegis posted:

This is DE. They made a gun that shoots loving sawblades the second worst weapon in the game. It's worse than the loving starter pistol, and even with a maxxed hornet strike, that does like, 15 damage per shot or something retarded.

Honestly at this point, I'm along to see how pants on head retarded DE can make things.
I like to think that the Miter, contrary to how it's rendered, actually fires the blades pointing upward. So we're just slapping enemies with saw blades really hard.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

WeaponBoy posted:

Err, I think you're confusing the Lanka (chargeable Corpus sniper rifle wuth insanely high potential damage per shot) with the Cernos (impact damage bow).

No. No I am not.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
If you're lucky enough to have the electricity status chance mod from whichever event it was you can essentially turn it into an electric damage ogris. If you keep it pure electricity then it can only proc electric, which is an aoe effect, just stack all the regular damage mods, rate of fire mods, and status mods (I believe the highest you can get the status chance without changing/adding damage types is 75%). It is however an original clantech weapon which means it comes with no starting polarities and you need 5-6 forma in it for said build :shepicide:.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
I dumped 6 forma into the Lanka back when it was released. It was poo poo then, it's poo poo now, and it's not going to not be poo poo until they give it a loving ludicrous buff. Even with all the proc mods(elec/gas works here) the proc is too unreliable and the aoe is too small to be worth the charge time when you could just use Ogris and have way more aoe and 100% reliable damage.

Lanka is a bad gun.

Miter, however, is worse!

For a week or so the Miter had a bug where it would shoot more than one sawblade per click, I'm not sure why, but it did, and it owned. Even with multiple blade it was still not worth using compared to basically any other gun, but man it was fun to spam a wall of sawblades and have them bouncing everywhere! I used it a lot for lowbie levels in the last couple days of the bug.

Then they fixed the bug. Miter was literally the only gun affected. I tested it, no other charge or sniper gun had multishot without split chamber. They could have just left it and nothing would have changed in the balance of the game, but they fixed it anyway.

RIP Miter with double damage that was actually kind of fun.

edit: Oh and in the process of fixing this bug they made Miter worse because now Miter only has horizontal spread(like Ballistica) and it's either impossible or extremely unlikely to let the projectiles go along the same path or even just in the center of the path, so if you put in multishot and heavy caliber you will only ever see the sawblades shoot off in a V pattern in front of you, where previously it was actually more like a cone(using the same lovely star-pattern as other rifles).

edit2: vvv It's possible I missed it because I didn't use hcal. I think.

Denzine fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 28, 2014

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
No the bows had that kinda multishot bug too. It wasn't consistent, but it was there. I saw screenshots and a friend confirmed it. It seemed to have affected all weapons with partial charge and full charge fire modes.

DelphiAegis posted:

I'm levelling the Miter right now and it's not so bad, actually. It doesn't rank as 'good' but it's definitely not MK-1 Braton tier. Decent enough to carry you through 20 minutes of Saturn survival if you put corrosive, speed trigger, serration & multishot, so at least it's not hard to level. Good status chance, too, and tends to proc bleed a lot.

necrobobsledder posted:

I like to think that the Miter, contrary to how it's rendered, actually fires the blades pointing upward. So we're just slapping enemies with saw blades really hard.

I think they fixed this. I remember something about orientation on the patch notes and the blades come out horizontal in my game. (Which makes it a bit fiddly to hit the sensors but easier to hit more than one enemy, although they really need to make the goddamn thing bigger)

AndroidHub posted:

If you're lucky enough to have the electricity status chance mod from whichever event it was you can essentially turn it into an electric damage ogris. If you keep it pure electricity then it can only proc electric, which is an aoe effect, just stack all the regular damage mods, rate of fire mods, and status mods (I believe the highest you can get the status chance without changing/adding damage types is 75%). It is however an original clantech weapon which means it comes with no starting polarities and you need 5-6 forma in it for said build :shepicide:.

Stack gas, electric, proc and rate of fire. You can lock down entire crowds of ancients on your own. (I haven't forma'd it. And stances help a lot now. Should only need 2-3 forma)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 28, 2014

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Step aside boys, Ilovecats has some competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneumatic Toaster
Mar 23, 2008
13.5 is up

Nothing particularly interesting, except that Bladestorm now has ninja clones, and crit over 100% actually does red crits now, for real.

Also, some new lovely armor, and interceptions leaked out of earth maps.

DE posted:

Changes to Crit calculations:

We have made changes to the way Criticals work on weapons that have been modded to have a crit chance greater than 100%. You may recall the existence of ‘red crits’ from many updates ago, which occurred with no clear formula other than “Synapse!”. Here is some clarity into the new system:

The brief:

A weapon with a critical chance greater than 100% will receive 2 calculations:

1) a guaranteed critical damage value - this normally appears as a yellow value.
2) a secondary red crit chance based on the remaining percent- this will appear as a new RED crit if successful!

This means:
If your rate is 125% you get one guaranteed crit and a 25% chance of a red crit.

If this Second Crit occurs, you will see a deadly Red crit value!

DE posted:

Changes:
Miter base damage has been increased along with the flight speed and proc chance of charged shots
Increased Fatal Attraction's range and damage at Rank 4 and 5.
The Fatal Attraction precept will now wait until enemies are within range before the pull ability is initialized.
Tweaked the positioning on the Leg Armor accessories for a number of Warframes.
Added in an additional range based visual effect on Molecular Prime that should help with distinguishing the distance of targets affected by the ability.
Tweaked the Excalibur Prime Channeling visual effects.
Specters will now re-generate Energy over time now so as to allow them to continue to use Powers over long amounts of time.
Player movement is now prohibited at the start of Conclave rounds.
Tweaked the sound effects for the Skana Prime.
Reduced the amount of damage dealt to attacking players when using Reflection in PvP matches.
Tweaked the visuals on Valkyr's Immortal Skin.
Tweaked the sound effects on the Moa Laser Disc gun explosion and Drone Explosion.
Reduced required scans for Grineer Rollers.
Improved the animations for the Greatsword and Axe animation sets.
The first round of Interception missions will now be easier for Solo players with enemies spawning throughout the mission. The difficulty will remain the same when playing with 2-4 players.
Adjusted the positioning of Chest Armor on Ember, Banshee, Valkyr, Zephyr, Vauban, Saryn, and Nyx.

Fixes:
Fixed issues with many Sentinel precepts having their priority subverted by other slotted precepts. Example, if you ever noticed your Djinn would never seem to cast Fatal Attraction, it is likely because it was slotted in the 2nd/3rd/4th Precept Slot and was not properly prioritized.
Fixed a number of crashes.
Fixed a number of localization issues.
Fixed an issue with players being unable to exit Conclaves properly.
Fixed an issue with the Invite Button not appearing correctly when playing Key lobby missions.
Fixed an issue with the Codex not properly listing the correct amount of Mods present in the player’s inventory.
Fixed an instance of Molecular Prime energy color not appearing correctly on client.
Fixed an issue with Molecular Prime not working correctly in PvP matches.
Fixed an issue with enemies attempting to pursue players after a successful extraction.
Fixed an issue with incorrect Lotus Voice Overs playing during Dark Sector Conflicts.
Fixed an issue with unequipped Sentinels still adding points towards Conclave ratings.
Fixed an issue with incorrect credit values being shown when depositing very large amounts of credits into the Clan Vault.
Fixed an issue with AI being unable to navigate up small ledges in the Shipyards tileset.
Fixed an issue with Shock Camo pack skins not properly utilizing custom Energy colors.
Fixed an issue with the Hikou Holster not properly utilizing custom Energy colors.
Fixed an issue with AI getting stuck behind certain crates and boxes on the Forest Defense Tileset.
Fixed an exploit which could cause players to gain inordinate amount of credits when selling items.
Fixed Seismic Palm and Fracturing Wind being erroneously labeled as "Sparring" which led to confusion on which weapons could use them. They are now labeled as “Fist” Stances.
Fixed a missing description for the Arcane Pulse Helmet.
Fixed an issue with Enemies remaining in their spawn area in Void Defense missions.
Fixed an erroneous description in Trinity's Energy Vampire ability.
Fixed issue with Ash being unable to use finishers on enemies that had been previously targeted by Bladestorm.
Fixed issue with Shock Camo skin not working on Snipetron Vandal.

Pneumatic Toaster fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 29, 2014