Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

alcharagia posted:

Bwahahaha are you making GBS threads me

He's essentially a Dancer normally, so yeah. He's hosed. This is way better than it could have been, at least he can heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Well then, guess he's going on the bench immediately once I clear Chapter 10 then!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You do need him to be at level seven for a gaiden chapter later I think. Just heal abuse him up if you care about it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Manatee Cannon posted:

You do need him to be at level seven for a gaiden chapter later I think. Just heal abuse him up if you care about it.

He already is. :v:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Not enough staves in Lyn mode. I don't think you can buy them until you hit the main game proper, and the one you get with Serra is only good for 330 experience.

E: Didn't see he started at L5. He's good then.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's definitely buyable staves, though I don't remember what chapter.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Chapter 10, last one of the prologue. That's where you grind everyone up on the boss.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
...As it turns out, this rom happens to be the one I used to play the Awful Emblem Proof of Concept map.

Whoops.

Edit: Some comical save futzing around later, I've gotten back to the regular game with no Awful Emblem in sight. Phew. New friends! I've got Eliwood the jesus christ, this guy is my Lord?:

Rebecca the Myrm who's Somewhat Worse than Sain:

Lowen the... Archer:

And Marcus the :stare: holy loving poo poo:

Edit 2: Return of Dorcas! And I've got a new guy, Bartre the Monk who's... better than Eliwood in every way.

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 27, 2014

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

alcharagia posted:

...As it turns out, this rom happens to be the one I used to play the Awful Emblem Proof of Concept map.

Whoops.

Edit: Some comical save futzing around later, I've gotten back to the regular game with no Awful Emblem in sight. Phew. New friends! I've got Eliwood the jesus christ, this guy is my Lord?:

I don't see a difference. :v:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

alcharagia posted:

Fun fact we discovered when I was putting monks on a map, their base stats are godawful. In fact, luck aside, you're looking at 'em. That is how bad every monk is before they get leveled up and get their faction bonuses. I could put a monk with Divine on the map, and it would get demolished by a shaman of roughly equal level.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Do you guys use the "Fix" patch for the randomizer or no? It's got a lot of features I'd rather not have, like buffing weak classes.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I did not. Anyway, new friends! I've got Hector the Oh God, why are all my Lords so lovely:

and Oswin, perhaps the most badass healer:

Bladesofskrm
Apr 30, 2014
I am playing the Fire Emblem: Awakening lately on my Nintendo 3DS emulator so the game can be easily played on my PC. Does anyone play this game that works just fine on a different emulator?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't even know there was a working 3DS emulator.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

^^ There isn't, that guy is just out of his mind.

Volt Catfish posted:

Do you guys use the "Fix" patch for the randomizer or no? It's got a lot of features I'd rather not have, like buffing weak classes.

Definitely do, because otherwise you will encounter bugs like negative stats and missing animations. Oh, and half your army might be extremely poo poo. Of course, if you want more of a challenge go for it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

alcharagia posted:

I did not. Anyway, new friends! I've got Hector the Oh God, why are all my Lords so lovely:

and Oswin, perhaps the most badass healer:

Lords are poo poo because they have no personal stat modifiers, their stats are entirely from their class (which only they are supposed to be, so you'd never know unless something like this happens). So you're seeing merc bases there. It also accounts for why your Matthew is so good, it's a thief's personal modifiers and growths on Hector.

Also yeah, that's a pretty baller Oswin.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The best part about Oswin is that, given that he was apparently a Knight originally, he has an invisible rank in Lances such that I have a melee-capable healer. :getin:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Wait, what the hell is going on with Hector's map sprite there? That looks like a myrm map animation, but it's using a merc sprite base...?

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Well, I got Lyn's group finally. Guess what? They all suck, and two of them are nomads :suicide: For those not counting, I now have five archers. The archer only run is real. Also, Lyn is a hector except she's so much worse than Mathhew it's not even funny.

I'm on the third map and already have 4. Hector and Eliwood are nomads, and Rebecca and Guy are archers. At this rate I may as well hope for Lyn to be an archer for the all bow lord run! :suicide:

Oh well, at least I have brigand Serra.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Amppelix posted:

^^ There isn't, that guy is just out of his mind.

Well, there's this: http://3dsemulator.org/

No idea if it's legitimate or not.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

Well, there's this: http://3dsemulator.org/

No idea if it's legitimate or not.
Nope.

The site itself is fine, but the program is a big bomb. Don't download that.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

Nope.

The site itself is fine, but the program is a big bomb. Don't download that.

My intuition served me well!

On another note, I started with Hector mode on the FE7 randomizer, and the first thing that happened was Matthew killing himself on a wall with his Devil Axe.

e: Hector mode with a myrmidon lord and no vulneries is too much for me.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 28, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Artix posted:

Wait, what the hell is going on with Hector's map sprite there? That looks like a myrm map animation, but it's using a merc sprite base...?

Speaking of Hector's sprites, I got Hector as a cavalier, and he has a cavalier sprite in battle when wielding lances. There's no animation at all for when he's wielding axes.

If I have him wield swords on the other hand...

He's a secret assassin! :black101:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
That's because he's a female cavalier! Another thing we stumbled into during AE development, the female cav sprites are in the game (even though there is no female cavalier - Isadora starts as a paladin), but they don't have an animation for swords, only lances. Which causes them to grab the assassin sprites instead because reasons...?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Whoever did this might wanna consider this in any updates. It's a little silly, especially if you go from Mage to female Mage like that Erk posted previously.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Artix posted:

That's because he's a female cavalier! Another thing we stumbled into during AE development, the female cav sprites are in the game (even though there is no female cavalier - Isadora starts as a paladin), but they don't have an animation for swords, only lances. Which causes them to grab the assassin sprites instead because reasons...?
Assassin is closer in the game's sprite directory to Female Cavaliers, thus the game goes for the closest option? :shrug:

GauchoNaut2085
Oct 23, 2010

Artix posted:

If I recall correctly, that's the female merc sprite. I think it was brought up in the romhack thread.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

A promising start!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

My only weapon is a one use iron axe.

An unfortunate end.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

A lot of the possibilities would probably make hard mode completely impossible for Hector, huh?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Some more updates on Fire Emblem IV's progress, showcasing the one thing I've been itching to show off: the Valkyrie staff. In the original game, it acts as a free revive for 50K a pop, which I don't find that interesting since most players will try to keep everyone alive. Instead, in this version, it unlocks doors*! Watch the video to see it in action.

The video also showcases the start of the first chapter of the Agusty storyline, the battle between Heirhein and Nodion. Before, Nodion only had 3 units to defend themselves, and the player started at Evans, which meant a lot of time wasted just moving pieces into place. Now the chapter starts right in the action, and Nodion has a bit more manpower. Although, if you're aware of what is supposed to happen, you don't need to keep everyone from Nodion alive, just the three named characters from the original. I don't think it's actually possible to save all the Nodion soldiers, anyway :v:

There's also some new graphics added in if you can spot them. The new spell animations are blatantly shown, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAFj08qGkAU

*does not actually unlock doors

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If there's one staff that doesn't need to be 5 uses, it's the FE3 version of the Again staff.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Can Of Worms posted:

Some more updates on Fire Emblem IV's progress, showcasing the one thing I've been itching to show off: the Valkyrie staff. In the original game, it acts as a free revive for 50K a pop, which I don't find that interesting since most players will try to keep everyone alive. Instead, in this version, it unlocks doors*! Watch the video to see it in action.

The video also showcases the start of the first chapter of the Agusty storyline, the battle between Heirhein and Nodion. Before, Nodion only had 3 units to defend themselves, and the player started at Evans, which meant a lot of time wasted just moving pieces into place. Now the chapter starts right in the action, and Nodion has a bit more manpower. Although, if you're aware of what is supposed to happen, you don't need to keep everyone from Nodion alive, just the three named characters from the original. I don't think it's actually possible to save all the Nodion soldiers, anyway :v:

There's also some new graphics added in if you can spot them. The new spell animations are blatantly shown, though.

Ah Can, no matter what you have to show, it never upsets me, it only makes me dream wondrous dreams.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Opens doors? What the hell is this guy tal...

:stare:

:golfclap: Wow, that's amazing.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Can Of Worms posted:

Dancers must feel so inadequate right now.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I know it's probably impossible to implement, but it would be kind of funny if the Valkyrie staff summoned "einherjar" in the form of the soldiers you'd lost, and used them as an attack. Have the staff do damage equal to the combined strength/magic ratings of all your dead teammates. If no one's dead, it does nothing, but if everyone's dead it's the single highest damage attack in the game by a country mile. Would torment the typical player who needs to keep everyone alive, but would give you consolation for continuing to play after a death.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Lotish posted:

I know it's probably impossible to implement, but it would be kind of funny if the Valkyrie staff summoned "einherjar" in the form of the soldiers you'd lost, and used them as an attack. Have the staff do damage equal to the combined strength/magic ratings of all your dead teammates. If no one's dead, it does nothing, but if everyone's dead it's the single highest damage attack in the game by a country mile. Would torment the typical player who needs to keep everyone alive, but would give you consolation for continuing to play after a death.
Holy poo poo, that sounds amazing.

I mean, I'd never use it because I'm a baby and I restart when someone gets ganked, but it would sure make ironman runs interesting.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
That's a really cool idea, but it'd probably have the same problem as the vanilla Valkyrie staff, where most players would never use it because they'd reset on death.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Chapter 14 is hard because I have to rescue Erk who comes in with no weapons. Also is there a reason to deploy Merlinus ever?

Oh, and I have only the one new friend, Guy the I Thought Guys Couldn't Ride Ponies?:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

alcharagia posted:

Chapter 14 is hard because I have to rescue Erk who comes in with no weapons. Also is there a reason to deploy Merlinus ever?

Oh, and I have only the one new friend, Guy the I Thought Guys Couldn't Ride Ponies?:

Deploying Merlinus is the only way you can send stuff to your storage. Or get stuff from it. Also he levels up for every map you deploy him on and when he hits 20 he promotes and gets to move.