Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
My perspective is that I like hitting things with swords and maces, and whatever other vaguely weaponizable implement I can manage to swing at someone's face :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Dark is bad because the DS1 DLC showed it turns people into weirdo freaky monsters.

Or is it good because then you have more things to hit with a sword??

HMMMM

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

animatorZed posted:

My perspective is that I like hitting things with swords and maces, and whatever other vaguely weaponizable implement I can manage to swing at someone's face :)

Yeah whatever the lore is, throughout all the ages, the games are letting us see a couple moments in time where an undead person whooped on a bunch of scary-rear end monsters and stuff. I eagerly await the third installment.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Fister Roboto posted:

All of you arguing about the story of DS2 are completely missing it. It's actually very simple. It's the story all about how your life gets flipped, and turned upside down, and you eventually become the monarch of a place called Drangleic.

I'll tell you a story all about how
my soul memory flipped upsidedown.
I'd like to take a minute, just let me say it
and I'll tell you how I became monarch of the ruins of Drangleic.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 28, 2014

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Ok why the gently caress are so many people summoning red phantoms in the Iron Keep Bridge in NG+ while rolling with 2 white phantoms just to gank them over and over?

Normally I'd think it's just someone trolling but I've tried dueling for like 2 hours today and like 1/3 of the summons would end up 1v3 with them just stomping me.
What is even the point of this? Soul grinding?

(and no, they aren't summoning red phantoms like in a fight club)

Lalus
Jul 12, 2009
My new favourite activity is to put down the small soapstone near the first iron keep bonfire. If I get summoned to a gank squad then throw lifedrain patch on the host and his buddy. The dumbfucks keep walking into it. That extends to summoning the shades that are part of gank squads and dropping it on them when they spawn in. Gank squads must die!

Edit - Nice timing there

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Does a red soapstone invader get anything for winning?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Daynab posted:

Ok why the gently caress are so many people summoning red phantoms in the Iron Keep Bridge in NG+ while rolling with 2 white phantoms just to gank them over and over?

Normally I'd think it's just someone trolling but I've tried dueling for like 2 hours today and like 1/3 of the summons would end up 1v3 with them just stomping me.
What is even the point of this? Soul grinding?

(and no, they aren't summoning red phantoms like in a fight club)

Same thing happened in Dks. People like to gank.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cyberventurer posted:

Does a red soapstone invader get anything for winning?

Souls and a token of spite.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Same thing happened in Dks. People like to gank.

Sure but one squad in particular was there for like one hour. It can't possibly be fun to just summon -> roll up on someone and murder them within 10 seconds.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
You severely underestimate how dickish this community can be.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Daynab posted:

Sure but one squad in particular was there for like one hour. It can't possibly be fun to just summon -> roll up on someone and murder them within 10 seconds.

They have the exact same motive as the average invader.

gently caress people over.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Daynab posted:

But... delicious pubby tears!!

Sven
Oct 4, 2005

Lalus posted:

My new favourite activity is to put down the small soapstone near the first iron keep bonfire. If I get summoned to a gank squad then throw lifedrain patch on the host and his buddy. The dumbfucks keep walking into it. That extends to summoning the shades that are part of gank squads and dropping it on them when they spawn in. Gank squads must die!

Edit - Nice timing there

Haha, i think you might have done this to me. Repeatedly.

Whix
Oct 2, 2008

IT GOES BOOM!

skasion posted:

Drakekeeper? Royal Swordsman? Ironclad?

Actually i went for this:

Lalus
Jul 12, 2009
Ganksquads are terrible players who think its some sort of trolling to kill the reds. Theres shitloads of them on the iron keep bridge. Last one, the host summoned in a red and expected us two whites to help gank. I caught the other phantom with lifedrain in the archway so he had to run and heal. The host was then solo with the red and got his rear end handed to him. Last time I heard on his voice chat was "help me motherfuckers" just before he died :allears:

I'm also a fuckin lovely bastard juden bitch

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Daynab posted:

I guess it would depend on the execution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxu--N3hm-U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKOTXadWRtg

e: okay, not DS2 videos, but I haven't seen that many funny DS2 ones yet.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

neetengie posted:

gently caress it man, lets go bowling

Also, what's a good weapon to dick around with that isn't widely used?

Dark scythe of Nahr Alma or whatever does enough damage with a buff to be useable. Not great, but fun. Also the silverblack weapons, the spear especially (the sickle's alright too but it's just the Nahr Alma scythe but less so). The spear is legit good. Don't see many helix halberds, and it is also good.

Scythes, spears, and claws are basically the things you never see. There's no reason for it with spears either, they're perfectly fine (although I guess not as good as syan halberd so that's probably the reason).

Whix
Oct 2, 2008

IT GOES BOOM!

Lalus posted:

Ganksquads are terrible players who think its some sort of trolling to kill the reds. Theres shitloads of them on the iron keep bridge. Last one, the host summoned in a red and expected us two whites to help gank. I caught the other phantom with lifedrain in the archway so he had to run and heal. The host was then solo with the red and got his rear end handed to him. Last time I heard on his voice chat was "help me motherfuckers" just before he died :allears:

I'm also a fuckin lovely bastard juden bitch

Yeah i usually just watch when i see the host summon a red. I've been summoned as red when he had 2 more guys with him, so gently caress you host.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I hope it gets patched out BUUUT roll parrying solves a lot of ganker problems.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Improbable Lobster posted:

In West Tseldora, born and raised
In the quicksand is where I spent most of my days
Chillin' out, maxin' and petrifyin' some fools
while the mages shootin' magic at some ghouls
when a couple of undead who were up to no good
started making trouble in my neighborhood
I got in one little fight and the Duke got scared
and said, "You're gonna go kill the Lords to be heir."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Scythes, spears, and claws are basically the things you never see. There's no reason for it with spears either, they're perfectly fine (although I guess not as good as syan halberd so that's probably the reason).

The bone scythe is fun to mess around with but it's pretty weak all in all.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

It took forever to get my Yellow King hat, but my goofy-rear end poisonmancer is complete.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Improbable Lobster posted:

Honorable Prince, take your throne. And do fresh things, if it please.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
What would you guys think is better for a murakumo pyro build(50 29 12 20 20 20 20 x x), fth or int? I'm bandit so I'd get more bang for my buck with fth, but stuff like camouflage, soul great sword, etc does sound enticing over well, great magic barrier.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Martman posted:

But... delicious pubby tears!!

Any and all bullshit from the game or from its players is justified because :darksouls: and they should just suck it up. or something.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Flytrap posted:

I abuse the copy glitch maliciously in DeS for just that reason. I always have at least 99 of every upgrade material I find.

Does one of these exist for dark souls 2? I wanna upgrade all the poo poo that I actually want to use but most of it requires twinkling or petrified dragon bones which are both decently rare and scarce so I don't really ever have enough to spare for upgrading anything more than one item once in a while.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Any and all bullshit from the game or from its players is justified because :darksouls: and they should just suck it up. or something.

drat skippy.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I hope it gets patched out BUUUT roll parrying solves a lot of ganker problems.

Eh, not really. Most gankers I've found are people spamming magic or avelyns, which you can't really parry.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Vanderdeath posted:

In West Tseldora, born and raised
In the quicksand is where I spent most of my days
Chillin' out, maxin' and petrifyin' some fools
while the mages shootin' magic at some ghouls
when a couple of undead who were up to no good
started making trouble in my neighborhood
I got in one little fight and the Duke got scared
and said, "You're gonna go kill the Lords to be heir."

Well done. Sang it in my head.
-
Do a lot of you have the voice enabled? I know I turned that off immediately. I prefer gestures.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Bob NewSCART posted:

Does one of these exist for dark souls 2? I wanna upgrade all the poo poo that I actually want to use but most of it requires twinkling or petrified dragon bones which are both decently rare and scarce so I don't really ever have enough to spare for upgrading anything more than one item once in a while.

Ascetic the aerie and kill lizards to get a bunch of both.

Bring lightning spears, GRS, or some other way to one shot them from range or you'll be cursing their very existence, though. Actually, that will probably happen regardless. Run through and kill the dragons first, then come back to get the lizards.

But back to Demon Souls. The 1000 different types of upgrade ores, combined with the fact that they tended to weight a ton, combined with the fact that you had limited item burden, all came together to create a really frustrating system.

Item burden, and world/character tendency were the really awful parts of Demon Souls. I still think its a fantastic game, but man those systems were terrible.

e: Oh man, I just remembered the fixed number of crystal lizard spawns. I'd blocked that one out of my memory.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Wow a lot of plot chat today! I think a big problem with plot analysis is that a lot of the fire/dark/nothingness/whatever makes no sense at all if you try taking it literally rather than more of a thematic element. The age of fire as a theme is when things flourish and prosper, the age of dark as a theme is when things settle into a deep calm, and the word dark itself seems to serve more as a counterpart to fire rather than any set idea, shown by dark meaning different things when talking about Manus or the age of darkness or humanity or a metaphor for suffering and madness. Fire is power and greatness, dark is the absence of these qualities.

The Japanese just aren't huge fans of literalism I guess.

e: Agdayne seems to have sort of a dig at this sort of analysis as well with his truth/fiction line.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I don't get why people hate item burden so much. It's a boring mechanic, but as long as you dump excess ore and weapons onto Thomas when you return to the Nexus it's never gonna come up, especially if you make sure to keep the Ring of Herculean Strength handy.

World Tendency is a good mechanic but not the best implemented. Everything as it is is fine imo, it just needs more ways to control how tendency changes. That you have a limited number of chances to raise tendency into white is unfortunate. That said, it's not even remotely a big deal because all the stuff locked behind WT are completely optional items and in some cases are not even good.

Character Tendency I don't know why you'd complain about. It barely has any effect; three weapons scale with it, there's a sidequest chain available for PB, and you get a small damage bonus at PW.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bob NewSCART posted:

I think one might exist, though I've never looked into it. While twinkling is rare, Petrified Dragon bones drop quite often from the Dragon Acolytes(?) behind the paintings, etc. at the back of Aldia's Keep. Perhaps I was just lucky, but I farmed there using only one ascetic and I got bones from ~50% of the mobs (in other words, quite a lot). There's also the crystal geckos in the Dragon Aerie, as well as dragon loot and stuff lying around. The dragons can be easily cheesed with ranged attacks, so it's a nice place to farm those things.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Genocyber posted:

I don't get why people hate item burden so much. It's a boring mechanic, but as long as you dump excess ore and weapons onto Thomas when you return to the Nexus it's never gonna come up, especially if you make sure to keep the Ring of Herculean Strength handy.

Because it doesn't add anything to the game.

The question about a game mechanic shouldn't be "is it tolerable enough to not be completely obnoxious" but rather "does this in any way enhance the gameplay experience?" If you can't say yes, then it shouldn't be there.

Sin is largely a more interesting implementation of character tendency, and world tendency should absolutely not have been implemented in a way that would lock you out of optional items given that it's otherwise supposed to be a super malleable game mechanic. The idea of intentionally cultivating levels for specific purposes is neat, but the implementation was loving miserable.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I've only come across a handful of ascetics throughout my whole play through, and I just beat the looking glass knight. Is there anywhere you can get a meaningful amount?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Bob NewSCART posted:

I've only come across a handful of ascetics throughout my whole play through, and I just beat the looking glass knight. Is there anywhere you can get a meaningful amount?
The Chasm in the Pilgrims covenant.

Your Computer posted:

I think one might exist, though I've never looked into it. While twinkling is rare, Petrified Dragon bones drop quite often from the Dragon Acolytes(?) behind the paintings, etc. at the back of Aldia's Keep. Perhaps I was just lucky, but I farmed there using only one ascetic and I got bones from ~50% of the mobs (in other words, quite a lot). There's also the crystal geckos in the Dragon Aerie, as well as dragon loot and stuff lying around. The dragons can be easily cheesed with ranged attacks, so it's a nice place to farm those things.
Same here, I got a ton of PDB's by just farming Aldia's Keep.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Furthermore on not taking things literally, I think the transitions between areas are not supposed to be literal distances or some manifestation of madness or ~spacetimedistortion~ but rather an approximation of spreading things way the hell out without the tedious slog between them as a sort of compromise between world-building and gameplay.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bob NewSCART posted:

Info like this is easy to get at the different wikis (unless you're against that stuff) like here. Long story short; two NPC's sell 10 each, Gandahl (after joining) and Navlaan (after doing/skipping quest)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Anyone in NG+ around 3.5 SM have the Shadow Hat and leggings for trade? I'm up to 18 kills and I can't muster up the will to do the run to the ship again. I think FROM went a little batty with the drop rate on these sets.