Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah funny how New York got "cleaned up" by gentrifying all the scary minority neighbourhoods and making it harder for poor people to afford to live in the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Williamsburg went from an industrial shithole to being one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the city in a little over a decade. But yeah, the deregulation of rents is terrible and it is slowly strangling the city. There is a massive shortage of affordable housing and public housing has been massively defunded over the years. It's possible to live in a government owned building and have no kitchen for months because the budget is so low. If something isn't done to stop it, I can see the bubble bursting and a new era of scary NYC beginning.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We stayed in Jersey City (i think) when we visited three years ago. It was out by Silvercup Studios. The place was a loving warzone. There were 11 shootings in the neighborhood in the 5 days we stayed there.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Jeez, and here I am from Wisconsin.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Rhyno posted:

We stayed in Jersey City (i think) when we visited three years ago. It was out by Silvercup Studios. The place was a loving warzone. There were 11 shootings in the neighborhood in the 5 days we stayed there.

SilverCup is in Queens (Long Island City neighborhood, though technically still Astoria?) That area was also an industrial wasteland with a ton of hotels thanks to proximity to midtown and the presence of two film studios (Kaufman & Silvercup) but if you went back today you would see more than a dozen brand new luxury high rises that were all built/still being built within the last few years with more on the way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ToastyPotato posted:

SilverCup is in Queens (Long Island City neighborhood, though technically still Astoria?) That area was also an industrial wasteland with a ton of hotels thanks to proximity to midtown and the presence of two film studios (Kaufman & Silvercup) but if you went back today you would see more than a dozen brand new luxury high rises that were all built/still being built within the last few years with more on the way.

Long Island City! That's it.

What a poo poo hole.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Williamsburg went from an industrial shithole to being one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the city in a little over a decade. But yeah, the deregulation of rents is terrible and it is slowly strangling the city. There is a massive shortage of affordable housing and public housing has been massively defunded over the years. It's possible to live in a government owned building and have no kitchen for months because the budget is so low. If something isn't done to stop it, I can see the bubble bursting and a new era of scary NYC beginning.

The cops are feeling the budget crunch too, I read a few months ago that detectives aren't being paid overtime to work major cases to completion so they're just clocking out and moonlighting instead, and naturally more murders are starting to go unsolved because of it. Once the statistics even up from that and the news goes wide it'll be fun times.

Rhyno posted:

Long Island City! That's it.

What a poo poo hole.

In another decade or so those highrises are gonna be Peachtrees from Dredd.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

McSpanky posted:

The cops are feeling the budget crunch too, I read a few months ago that detectives aren't being paid overtime to work major cases to completion so they're just clocking out and moonlighting instead, and naturally more murders are starting to go unsolved because of it. Once the statistics even up from that and the news goes wide it'll be fun times.

In another decade or so those highrises are gonna be Peachtrees from Dredd.

The NYPD has always been pretty finicky when it comes to solving crimes though. If something isn't a slam dunk or a huge case, chances are they will not bother to see it through. They actively discourage people from filing reports of thefts and will regularly try to file it under "lost property". As for the NYPD budget... if only NYC hadn't spent so much of it on military grade equipment, vehicles and anti-air systems...

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

ToastyPotato posted:

The NYPD has always been pretty finicky when it comes to solving crimes though. If something isn't a slam dunk or a huge case, chances are they will not bother to see it through. They actively discourage people from filing reports of thefts and will regularly try to file it under "lost property". As for the NYPD budget... if only NYC hadn't spent so much of it on military grade equipment, vehicles and anti-air systems...

Or the sheer amount of spying it turns out they're doing on people they don't like. The NYPD is far too secretive of an organization now, Ray Kelly had been classifying his travel itinerary, even though as a public official that stuff was suppose to be public knowledge.

Plus with the current mayor depleting the surplus by paying the bills Bloomberg skipped out on, it's looking like making the city serving the whims of the financial elite wasn't such a great idea.

The praise Rudy gets for "lowering" crime in the city has always bugged me since crime started coming down under Dinkins, but people still have this vision of Dinkins as a mayor that just let criminals so whatever they want.

I've heard that Marvel and DC are moving their offices out to LA, which I think is sad, comic books were born in New York to see them move away is just sad. And I think Marvel moved Dare Devil out to San Francisco.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

KomradeX posted:

I've heard that Marvel and DC are moving their offices out to LA, which I think is sad, comic books were born in New York to see them move away is just sad. And I think Marvel moved Dare Devil out to San Francisco.

Marvel aren't going anywhere. DC are, which has caused a lot of editorially shake up since a lot don't want to move. And Marvel move characters temporarily to hype things up for "local audiences" and other marketing nonsense.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Edit: Oh thank god.

I know DC left NYC a short while ago, but that is seriously sad that Marvel is probably leaving now too. But again, with no one controlling rents, it is not surprising that tons of people are jumping ship. I would think Marvel would keep offices here if they are starting up 4 new series set to film in NYC though.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Oh that is good to hear that at least Marvel stayed behind. And DC just seems to be made of "great" decisions lately.

And yes rent in New York is too drat high. I would love of weer could get some rent control again but well I'd also like a million dollars and we all don't get what we want.

Is DC still set on only making animated movies based on New 52 content?

And I did watch an episode of Beware the Batman the other night in its 3am slot. I didn't think it was bad, not to big of a fan of the CGI animation though, the CGI used in Clone Wars was much better I feel.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

As bad as DC's new 52 stuff might end up being, it is better than Marvel's complete dedication to doing nothing but motion comics or super anime animated stuff. Marvel's animated track record is abysmal.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Well yeah Marvels stuff is mediocre to the extreme, I just wish DC would get back to doing really good movies instead of just barley tolerable ones that still beat Marvel.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ToastyPotato posted:

As bad as DC's new 52 stuff might end up being, it is better than Marvel's complete dedication to doing nothing but motion comics or super anime animated stuff. Marvel's animated track record is abysmal.

Well Marvel had good shows. Then they lost or got rid of said good shows.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
DC's animated stuff is, by track record, better than Marvel's, yes. This is a fact. Right now, DC would have to release a literal turd - just 22 minutes of a steaming poo poo, sitting on a grimy restroom floor - to be outdone by Marvel's piss-poor animated offerings.

But considering the last effort, a CGI show (which can be pretty expensive) about Batman (the character that always sells), got cancelled without even completing a full season? DC's animation is hosed. Even if they had come up with plans for a new show after getting the news that Beware the Batman would be getting cancelled, it wouldn't be coming out until next year at the earliest.

Marvel's animation might be crap, but at the moment they have a leg up on the Distinguished Competition by actually having some. Teen Titans Go notwithstanding, of course.

It's a sad state of affairs compared to just a few years previously.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I get the feeling that DC just wants to focus on their direct to video stuff.

Though that's fine by me. If they produce crap, I can just say "Oh well, better luck next time" since they release them often enough.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
DC's last DTV movie was poo poo too, though. At the moment cartoons based off of comics aren't doing so hot at all.

Well, except the new season of The Boondocks.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
DC's animated movies have been gradually declining in quality since Dark Knight Returns. I'd love to see an exorbitantly big budget adaptation of The Long Halloween done in the style of Triplets of Belleville, but it's a pipe dream. I think they're fine with doing pre-New 52 adaptations, but I'm sure The Killing Joke is another fan favorite, even if I don't think it lends itself to adaptation.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Teen Titans GO! is the only DC media i'm consuming and it's great.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I'm just kind of amazed that Marvel has never sought to adapt any of its big storyline into an animated film. DC has done it a bunch of times and the closest Marvel has come was adapting The Ultimates...

Oh I guess Planet Hulk as well. That was probably the only flat out adaptation that I think they even did.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Marvel's animation outings remind me of superhero movies from the 80s to the late 90s, where directors generally seemed to resent working from source material and tried to erase anything iconic about the characters and their stories.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm just kind of amazed that Marvel has never sought to adapt any of its big storyline into an animated film. DC has done it a bunch of times and the closest Marvel has come was adapting The Ultimates...

Oh I guess Planet Hulk as well. That was probably the only flat out adaptation that I think they even did.

Hulk vs Wolverine was based on their classic comic fight, too, though rather loosely. But yeah they seem generally uninterested in that concept. I'd say they want to save their big stories for MCU films but that doesn't really make any sense. Then again nothing about Marvel's animated stuff makes any sense these days so who knows man.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I just wish they'd stop those horrible anime movies

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

XboxPants posted:

Hulk vs Wolverine was based on their classic comic fight, too, though rather loosely. But yeah they seem generally uninterested in that concept. I'd say they want to save their big stories for MCU films but that doesn't really make any sense. Then again nothing about Marvel's animated stuff makes any sense these days so who knows man.

Deadpool managed to be goofy without being super irritating in that movie, too, which is something of a miracle.

I would kill for an X-Men show with the same level of metaplot and care (and budget) that was afforded to, say, JLU or Last Airbender. One that wasn't all about Wolverine, either. But if Marvel has the television rights again, I guess we can look forward to something with the same level of metaplot and care (and budget) as the original 80s Thundercats.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Im going through the first season of Teen Titans. Holy poo poo this show is amazing! It almost has everything I want in a Superhero show.

Makes me wan't to get some Teen Titans books.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

BigRed0427 posted:

Im going through the first season of Teen Titans. Holy poo poo this show is amazing! It almost has everything I want in a Superhero show.

Don't, unless you like seeing all the characters you like getting killed off.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Wan't George Perez a writer on the Titans in the 80s?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Or turned into sex objects.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

BigRed0427 posted:

If you want a book like the Teen Titans cartoon, you should pick up the 90's Young Justice books. It won't have Beast Boy or Cyborg, but you really don't want any books with them in it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

Just grab the X-Men/Teen Titans crossover one-shot. It's all downhill after that.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

:getin:

BigRed0427 posted:

Wan't George Perez a writer on the Titans in the 80s?
Perez did the art. Marv Wolfman was the writer (but they worked on the stories jointly after a while). That era is where the main story adaptations in the animated series come from.

Keep watching, season one is probably the weakest overall and if you enjoyed that then hoo boy are you in for a ride.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 28, 2014

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Aside from the YJ cartoon, my only other real experience with that group is a weird comic crossover they had in the 80s/90s. I remember it was in a lot of the DC comics I had as a kid. Something to do with a large group of people trying to protect some pregnant woman and Terra was angry. Idk, there was a girl with wings too, it kind of freaked me out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Season 2 of Ultimate Spiderman is on Netflix. I probably like it more than most of you, but its not terrible. Certainly better than Avengers Assemble.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Season 2 of Ultimate Spiderman is on Netflix. I probably like it more than most of you, but its not terrible. Certainly better than Avengers Assemble.
Well, any show is good when you're setting the bar below the ground.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Avengers Assemble is so goddamned bad. It manages to be so boring and I am pretty convinced they think their audience is filled with drooling morons. Adventure Time has handled story arcs and character development 100x better and that show is also directly marketed at little kids. Assemble is offensively lazy, especially in comparison to other competent comic book related shows.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's really amazing how they canceled EMH for it. Its hard to believe that AA is a Disney animation production.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Unfortunately, even EMH wasn't allowed to go out on a high note with the Loeb edict of NO MORE "PREVIOUSLY ON...", EVERYTHING DONE-IN-ONE poo poo.

I keep hoping for USM and AA to pull a 90s Iron Man or X-Men Evolution where the first season or two sucks but everything else is awesome.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

notthegoatseguy posted:

Unfortunately, even EMH wasn't allowed to go out on a high note with the Loeb edict of NO MORE "PREVIOUSLY ON...", EVERYTHING DONE-IN-ONE poo poo.

I keep hoping for USM and AA to pull a 90s Iron Man or X-Men Evolution where the first season or two sucks but everything else is awesome.

That's literally what I am hoping for too. I doubt it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Loeb needs to go get therapy and stop taking it out on everyone else.

• Locked thread