Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Motronic posted:

First of all, I said low end torque. Second of all LOL at "considerably". Do you seriously not remember post emissions V8s of the 70s and 80s? They're almost all a travesty, Ford or otherwise.

For example: the 302 Windsor was a blazing 200 HP (if it held together at 4600 RPMS) and didn't make 300 ft-lbs of torque until 2600. And that was in 1967. It dropped to as low at 122 HP in the mid 70s once they cut off it's clean air supply and any chance at free flowing exhaust.

Numbers barely recovered (across the board) on V8s until fuel injection.

I absolutely do remember. I had two late-smog-era 305 Chevrolets. All hundred and sixty-five horsepower in a two and a half ton car.

That said, straight sixes were not magically immune from the emissions strangulation. A friend had a late seventies Ford truck with a 300 and a four speed, and the thing was just a dog, as much as the V8s, and I'd say even more so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I'd like to thank Motronic for making that argument much more eloquently than I ever could.

Buy that truck, drop it about an inch, and put some sweet 5-spoke mags on it. :hellyeah:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'd like to thank Motronic for making that argument much more eloquently than I ever could.

Buy that truck, drop it about an inch, and put some sweet 5-spoke mags on it. :hellyeah:

I drove it... Brakes were soft, and it made a rather odd grindy noise when I let off the gas and coasted. Engine looked and sounded decent. Steering was a bit loose.

I'm still debating this vs the Crown Vic... Although it was nice to drive a stick again.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Buy that truck, drop it about an inch, and put some sweet 5-spokeslot mags on it. :hellyeah:

There, fixed.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

I drove it... Brakes were soft, and it made a rather odd grindy noise when I let off the gas and coasted. Engine looked and sounded decent. Steering was a bit loose.

I'm still debating this vs the Crown Vic... Although it was nice to drive a stick again.

It needs brake hoses and a full bleed, the gearbox is low/empty (could be an issue if it's been driven like that for a while which would present a driveline lash) and the steering being loose is a simple adjustment in most cases. If you can't do these things you should not be looking at buying a car of that age. (in fact, based on your obsessive posting about trivial issues on YOUR STUDEBAKER I'd suggest not doing so)

Lord Zuthulu
Jun 29, 2006
Zuthulu want more brownies - NOW!

shame about the automatic and stereo.

quote:

I WAS GOING TO FIX THIS PROJECT UP MYSELF BUT IT TURNS OUT I DONT HAVE THE TIME OR KNOWLEDGE TO DO IT

at least he's honest

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Lord Zuthulu posted:

shame about the automatic and stereo.

Me and everyone else following the Bricklin thread would tell you these two things will be the least of your worries. Also, $17,500 seems way to much for even one is pristine condition (which this one isn't)

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 27, 2014

Lord Zuthulu
Jun 29, 2006

Dr.Caligari posted:

Me and everyone else following the Bricklin thread would tell you these two things will be the least of your worries. Also, $17,500 seems way to much for even one is pristine condition (which this one isn't)

Don't worry, it's 17,500 Canadian dollars!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Q_res posted:

There, fixed.

Damnit. That's exactly what I meant too. Good lookin out.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Not on my phone anymore so posting this.

I am very tempted.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Vim Fuego posted:

I am very tempted.

Why are you still sitting there

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Huh. It's a real car. I worked as a bag room guy at a country club as a teen, and while we were loading up carts before a tournament a guy showed up in a black and red Pantera and slipped me 50 bux to valet it.

I was 15 and without license but knew how to drive so I didn't crash it, thankfully. I always just assumed it was a kit car or something.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Vim Fuego posted:

I am very tempted.

NOW, GO.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I know where to find a complete, original, but disassembled '71 Pantera... If only I could talk the owner into selling it...

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Vim Fuego posted:

I am very tempted.

If that thing isn't rusted to poo poo, that is a great price.
Panteras are up about 50% in the last 10 years. I predict as classic Italians continue to reach stratospheric levels, these psuedo Italians should continue to appreciate as well.

Edit: Looking more closely, its a bit of a basket case. Still, at anything below $30K it would be a great deal.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 27, 2014

Lord Zuthulu
Jun 29, 2006

nullscan posted:

I always just assumed it was a kit car or something.

Well with 70s Italian build quality it practically is a kit car, amirite?

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
The purple e30 I posted last week was apparently parked for years which explains why the body looked nice and the floor like fine jarlsberg. Also, the unibody had a deep crack with severe flaking two inches behind the driver side LCA mount.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/ottawa/1986-toyota-mr2-coupe/596221850

Hopefully this hasn't sold yet and isn't rusted to poo poo like the last 10 <$1000 dollar vehicles i've looked at. AI could use more MR2 threads.

jcutner
Aug 6, 2006
sup

Dr.Caligari posted:

ha, that guy actually lives on my parents street, just a few houses down! i've seen him haul that car back and forth in a trailer then load it into his garage
took a few double takes before i realized it was a bricklin when i first saw it

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Tai-Pan posted:

If that thing isn't rusted to poo poo, that is a great price.
Panteras are up about 50% in the last 10 years. I predict as classic Italians continue to reach stratospheric levels, these psuedo Italians should continue to appreciate as well.

Edit: Looking more closely, its a bit of a basket case. Still, at anything below $30K it would be a great deal.

Yeah, basket case is what I thought when I first saw it posted a couple months back. What indicates that to you? To me the biggest indicia were those seats, which are like the cheapest poo poo bucket seats that you see in every redneck project vehicle. That and he's asking like 30k less than any other panteras I could find for sale. And it's a pantera.

I dunno, if I were going to buy one I would want like this with the pre-73 bumpers.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Vim Fuego posted:

Yeah, basket case is what I thought when I first saw it posted a couple months back. What indicates that to you? To me the biggest indicia were those seats, which are like the cheapest poo poo bucket seats that you see in every redneck project vehicle. That and he's asking like 30k less than any other panteras I could find for sale. And it's a pantera.

I dunno, if I were going to buy one I would want like this with the pre-73 bumpers.

Eh, nothing specific exactly. The battery isn't strapped correctly, there appear to be random wires running off the battery, the plastic vent bits in the frunk are missing. The bolts on the steering wheel look rusty, the footwell panels are missing, original seats and wheels are gone, the door panels look warped, that mesh intake thing on the front doesn't look original.

Now, that said, the weak points on these cars are EXTREMELY well known and, rust aside, everything I mentioned is easily addressed. The car just gives off a "not maintained" vibe.
Given that you can find a "maintained not restored" example for ~$45k I wouldn't spend $38k for one that need thousands in work.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'

Thinking about getting this bad boy soon. It will probably be another terrible life decision but hey, I can't NOT buy cars.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Tai-Pan posted:

Eh, nothing specific exactly. The battery isn't strapped correctly, there appear to be random wires running off the battery, the plastic vent bits in the frunk are missing. The bolts on the steering wheel look rusty, the footwell panels are missing, original seats and wheels are gone, the door panels look warped, that mesh intake thing on the front doesn't look original.

Now, that said, the weak points on these cars are EXTREMELY well known and, rust aside, everything I mentioned is easily addressed. The car just gives off a "not maintained" vibe.
Given that you can find a "maintained not restored" example for ~$45k I wouldn't spend $38k for one that need thousands in work.

I highly doubt it has much rust, as that is not as much of a issue here in the PNW. But you do have to remember that Roy WA is pretty country, so it probably has some suspect fixes that have been done to it over the years.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Ok, so this is actually a terrible car thing.. poor RX :cry: Isn't cutting large chunks out of the wheel wells severely compromising the structure, even for a car thats 'race use only'?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/4482267982.html

Now this IS something awesome:

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 28, 2014

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Dr.Caligari posted:

Ok, so this is actually a terrible car thing.. poor RX :cry: Isn't cutting large chunks out of the wheel wells severely compromising the structure, even for a car thats 'race use only'?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/4482267982.html

I don't know anything about anything but that looks dicey as hell.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Pretty sure they are like that stock, but it should usually has a plastic cover over those openings.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Pretty sure they are like that stock, but it should usually has a plastic cover over those openings.

GIS seems to prove this correct. I figured that area would play a role in being support in the event of a front end collision.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, no, that area is definitely solid metal on a stock FB RX-7. Removing that area is fairly popular on a lot of older imports though because it allows you to run much wider tires than stock and have more space for I/C piping and all that. The loss in chassis rigidity is fairly negligible, most of the stress is on the shock-towers and back, and there's still frame rails running forward of the towers to keep the front end nice and tight.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Good thing that's an FD.

(I have no idea what FDs look like there, but I know what chassis it is)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Son of a bitch :doh:. I have no idea why I thought that was an FB, probably so used to seeing a V8 crammed into first-gens that my brain just ran with that assumption without noticing the little details (like, you know, the title of the ad).

You're right, FDs do just have a plastic cover there.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 28, 2014

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dr.Caligari posted:

Now this IS something awesome:

Good god, the colors!

blk
Dec 19, 2009

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Someone pissed off dad.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Those manuals were rare-ish. It wouldn't surprise me if the Crossfires hold their value for a good long while. Going up in value isn't out of the question, but we are talking decades.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Tai-Pan posted:

Those manuals were rare-ish. It wouldn't surprise me if the Crossfires hold their value for a good long while. Going up in value isn't out of the question, but we are talking decades.

No amount of time will fix the Crossfire's "making GBS threads Dog" profile.

Milquetoaste Shit
Sep 24, 2013

Octopus Magic posted:

No amount of time will fix the Crossfire's "making GBS threads Dog" profile.

Easy there Jeremy Clarkson we all watch top gear too. I think it will be future classic. Limitedish production? Check. Coupe? Check. Sporty? Check. Yea this is a no brainer.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Milquetoaste poo poo posted:

Easy there Jeremy Clarkson we all watch top gear too. I think it will be future classic. Limitedish production? Check. Coupe? Check. Sporty? Check. Yea this is a no brainer.
Unequivocal piece of poo poo? Check.

I'm sure it will have a following, but so did the Pinto, and every other piece of ... Well, Milquetoast poo poo.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

The styling is typical awful Chrysler, targeted towards the Thunderbird retro-coupe crowd, it's not a very good performing car for price it came new compared to its competition (G35s coupes, 3 Series), the hatch is useless and too narrow, and they're more or less already forgotten six years later (for the aforementioned reasons). The car was a huge flop that ended up on overstock.com in case you forgot.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
It was way overpriced for what it was as well. Building them in Germany and shipping them here was classic Daimler mismanagement.

And they killed the firepower for that turd which makes it hurt note.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

It looks ok from the outside, I think, but that center console is just god-awful and so is the gear stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

It's a parts bin Mercedes....nobody wants or likes them. It will eventually be collectible in the way a 1990 Oldsmobile Trofeo is collectable: through apathy from the general populace and rarity. It will still be worthless however.