Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Ensign Expendable posted:

French toast and a pale ale is dinner, right?

Absolutely. Mix it up with Guinness every so often for special occasions (or because your iron intake is low).

Just got back from an excellent dinner at a friend's place. His wife went to bed early (they have a very young wee boy) and the two of us stayed up drinking wine and watching terrible sci-fi. I'm back at my place now, had some tea, got my tobacco, my 12 year Highland Park single malt, and it's time for yet another Firefly rerun on Netflix because :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

quote:

Only downside is knowing I will eventually need to look for a job to avoid starvation (but that's many months away with how much I saved up from the last 18 months work). Oh well, time for another drink.

You should really get on unemployment ASAP if you haven't already. It stretches your savings out a reeeaaally long time.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pharmaskittle posted:

You should really get on unemployment ASAP if you haven't already. It stretches your savings out a reeeaaally long time.

This. I would have been able to live on the dole for like, 11 months, if I did my unemployment sooner.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Last time I was on unemployment I got a job like a month later. Not really needing a job does wonders for the interview process; no anxiety. Down side is only having a month off.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

JEEVES420 posted:

Last time I was on unemployment I got a job like a month later. Not really needing a job does wonders for the interview process; no anxiety. Down side is only having a month off.

Not needing a job does wonders for your mind, as you come to recognize the poo poo you actually LIKE doing to be productive.

Also realizing that you can totally eat steak and cider everyday and no one will stop you from marathoning that Netflix queue.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Wasabi the J posted:

This. I would have been able to live on the dole for like, 11 months, if I did my unemployment sooner.

Just got my work to send me the separation notice last week, but planning to apply tonight. How involved is the process, and how long until checks start coming in?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Remember also that depending on your industry, people are going to ask some questions if you haven't worked in a while. Like what the hell you were doing. A lot of companies toss a resume if it shows you haven't worked in 6-12 months, too.

Not saying this is the case, but just a warning... don't want to gently caress yourself over.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

1redflag posted:

Just got my work to send me the separation notice last week, but planning to apply tonight. How involved is the process, and how long until checks start coming in?

I live in Mississippi and was able to do it entirely online including direct deposit and go in to an actual office to verify that I was in fact still unemployed and looking for work. Here, you have to document having applied to at least three different jobs every week. I got a little less than $200 a week. Luckily, I was only out of work for like two or three months, but I wouldn't have made it without the unemployment checks.

Ed: I didn't answer your question about how long it takes because I don't really remember. A week or two after you apply, I think?

Pharmaskittle has a new favorite as of 02:35 on May 22, 2014

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just hosed up my elbow during Krav Maga class, so now I'm home and icing it with a full bottle of beer while drinking from another bottle. Ah, sweet pain relief.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

1redflag posted:

Got poo poo-canned from work last month with 3 months severance and have been living the dream since. Wake up when I want with a bong rip to meet the day,

Not to harsh your *buzz* on purpose, but... you might want to stop with the weed, especially if you're looking for a new job. Unless you live in a state where it's legal and/or no one gives a poo poo.

Bukowski
Dec 28, 2009

hammulder
The best bachelor purchase to start a summer was the 3 cartons of marlboros I picked up after visiting friends in Houston that will hopefully last until September :getin:

Fuckin Canadian tobacco prices I feel like a cig millionaire ahahahaha

120 dollars for 600 cigarettes... I want to build a time machine and show my high school self how big im gonna hit it

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

1redflag posted:

In Texas 3-4 weeks. There is a process where you apply, they contact your employer (this what usually takes the longest as they have no reason to not drag their feet), then they contact you again, if there is any dispute then they contact the employer again then you. After that it was a week and every week after that.

Echoing the too long out of work and its looked down on...and the weed if you're in an industry that cares.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JEEVES420 posted:

Echoing the too long out of work and its looked down on...and the weed if you're in an industry that cares.

I had it come up in my interviews, but once I explained things I had no issue getting an offer after.

Even if the job I have now underpays the poo poo out of me because I ended up giving myself more interesting work when I ran out of stuff to do. I wish I was full-blown selling again.

E: The issue was getting the drat interviews. I found linkedin to be best for that, for some reason I got less trashed resumes from there.

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 05:29 on May 22, 2014

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

whatshesaid posted:

Not to harsh your *buzz* on purpose, but... you might want to stop with the weed, especially if you're looking for a new job. Unless you live in a state where it's legal and/or no one gives a poo poo.

Thanks, dad.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Bukowski posted:

The best bachelor purchase to start a summer was the 3 cartons of marlboros I picked up after visiting friends in Houston that will hopefully last until September :getin:

Fuckin Canadian tobacco prices I feel like a cig millionaire ahahahaha

120 dollars for 600 cigarettes... I want to build a time machine and show my high school self how big im gonna hit it

I checked this before looking to see if I could snag some cartons when I visited home in the deep south, so be careful- supposedly you're only allowed to 200 cigarettes per person with the tobacco allowance that you can bring across tax free.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I love my four on three off shifts. Tonight is wine and wings. Tomorrow is whisky and Wolfenstein. I don't know how it gets better. Maybe a cigar?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

1redflag posted:

Thanks, dad.

I don't smoke, but guess how I learned the other part?

Yeah, learn from my mistake, that way at least one person does :v:

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

TheKingslayer posted:

I love my four on three off shifts. Tonight is wine and wings. Tomorrow is whisky and Wolfenstein. I don't know how it gets better. Maybe a cigar?

Cigars aren't alliterative enough, has to be weed. Sorry, them's the rules

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

TheKingslayer posted:

My favorite shift was M/T/T/F 10am-9pm. It was a lovely job but after two days there was a day off so it made it tolerable.

Worst was M/T/W/F, man did I call in so many Fridays for 4 day weekends.

I wish all jobs were four tens, as I get older the jobs are turning into five tens :(

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Grrl Anachronism posted:

I checked this before looking to see if I could snag some cartons when I visited home in the deep south, so be careful- supposedly you're only allowed to 200 cigarettes per person with the tobacco allowance that you can bring across tax free.

Brought back 800 Lucky Strike Filtereds from Afghanistan, no problem. :getin:

Too bad I was forced to quit immediately due to debilitating COPD.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

debilitating COPD.

...How old are you??

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

whatshesaid posted:

...How old are you??

Old enough to get respiratory problems from smoking, apparently. If the dude is smoking Luckys, that goes double.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Everyone knows the whole "welfare queen" fallacy. I know unemployment is a totally legit "safety net" but I also believe that even those who are totally taking advantage and laying around getting drunk and high, for months on end totally deserve it just as much as anyone else.

Like really, you tell them the reasons why you need it, but a totally legit reason would be "I've worked my rear end off for god knows how long. Each day I dread the commute to and from work, more and more. My boss was a dick, my co-workers were assholes, I'm tired, angry, somewhat depressed and simply fed up. I need this."

We owe it to ourselves as a society to allow for each citizen to live for 2-8 months every 6-10 years or so, in a lackadaisical stupor.

Employed for unemployment 2014!!!

cname has a new favorite as of 21:29 on May 23, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Old enough to get respiratory problems from smoking, apparently. If the dude is smoking Luckys, that goes double.

The garbage burning, the dust and poo poo filled air of Afghanistan didn't help.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

dregan posted:

Cigars aren't alliterative enough, has to be weed. Sorry, them's the rules

If only work didn't drug test :(. I've never been stoned, but I'd like to see what the fuss is about.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

TheKingslayer posted:

If only work didn't drug test :(. I've never been stoned, but I'd like to see what the fuss is about.
since this thread is supposed to be for lifehacks too: Unless you are a weird mutant (you can just buy drug test strips from amazon less than a buck each to confirm), if you are capable of pissing clean to begin with, then smoke a reasonable amount of marijuana, you will piss clean in two days or less. That's just normal piss too, obviously you can speed things up by several halflives by drinking lots of water in the few hours before your test.

in other words, you can safely smoke every other day, the crazy "weed is fat soluble and sticks around for weeks nobody knows what happens it's all individual" stuff only happens if you're a burnout

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

TheKingslayer posted:

Holy poo poo.

That being said, the experience is different for everyone. My first few times trying it, I didn't see what the big deal was. I just got sleepy and wanted a drink. It wasn't fun until I re-visited it again in my early 20's. At that point, smoking up and watching the Wiggles was a life-changing experience. It went something like:

GREG: Did you just tickle me, Captain Feathersword?

CPT. FEATHERSWORD: Oh, no, Greg.

ME: YOU'RE GOD drat RIGHT HE DID!

titties has a new favorite as of 06:51 on May 24, 2014

Hamagic
Jul 2, 2008

Straker posted:

since this thread is supposed to be for lifehacks too: Unless you are a weird mutant (you can just buy drug test strips from amazon less than a buck each to confirm), if you are capable of pissing clean to begin with, then smoke a reasonable amount of marijuana, you will piss clean in two days or less. That's just normal piss too, obviously you can speed things up by several halflives by drinking lots of water in the few hours before your test.

in other words, you can safely smoke every other day, the crazy "weed is fat soluble and sticks around for weeks nobody knows what happens it's all individual" stuff only happens if you're a burnout

I have never been drug tested (for work) in over 10 years of employment through about 7 different jobs in Phoenix and NYC. Most service industries don't test and unless you're going for something majorly corporate you're probably in the clear. Attitudes are relaxing in the US and especially in major cities. I've worked in corporate retail offices where I would smoke out with my bosses on occasion. If you're a heavy but responsible weed smoker you really have to think if a place that drug tests is going to be the right fit for you to begin with.

Oh Adaira
May 7, 2008

Casual Tabby
Any employer that wants to drug test you is not somewhere you should want to be employed.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

Hamagic posted:

I have never been drug tested (for work) in over 10 years of employment through about 7 different jobs in Phoenix and NYC. Most service industries don't test and unless you're going for something majorly corporate you're probably in the clear. Attitudes are relaxing in the US and especially in major cities. I've worked in corporate retail offices where I would smoke out with my bosses on occasion. If you're a heavy but responsible weed smoker you really have to think if a place that drug tests is going to be the right fit for you to begin with.

My state has a ban on company-wide and random drug testing so the only time you have to worry about it is when you're trying to get hired somewhere, and even then only if it's a job at a corporate/government place or big chain, usually. I've smoked with my managers during work hours at most of my jobs, it rules.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Straker posted:

Unless you are a weird mutant (you can just buy test strips from amazon less than a buck each to confirm)

It took me a while to wrestle this statement into the context that you (I think) actually intended. :cthulhu:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Turfahurf posted:

My state has a ban on company-wide and random drug testing so the only time you have to worry about it is when you're trying to get hired somewhere, and even then only if it's a job at a corporate/government place or big chain, usually. I've smoked with my managers during work hours at most of my jobs, it rules.

Pretty much the same in CT. They can test you before hiring if they notify you in advance, but random testing is only allowed if it's a safety thing (driving, heavy machinery, etc.) or required by federal law. One of my friends works for the MTA as a track worker and they only test people if there's an accident.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I live in the most southern part of Alabama and work for a medical billing/programming company. So they just draw names out of a hat for drug testing. I've been there a year and not been tested, but I know the moment I do anything, I'm getting testing.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007

Oh Adaira posted:

Any employer that wants to drug test you is not somewhere you should want to be employed.

So, no one should enter health care? Or emergency response professions? Airline pilots? Etc., etc.?
You kids who are free to live it up, please do, in honor of those of us who can't. Ever. For life.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

It took me a while to wrestle this statement into the context that you (I think) actually intended. :cthulhu:
whoops! you're right, I meant the easiest way to know when you will pass given fairly standardized behavior is to just test yourself a few times a day.

whatshesaid posted:

So, no one should enter health care? Or emergency response professions? Airline pilots? Etc., etc.?
You kids who are free to live it up, please do, in honor of those of us who can't. Ever. For life.
right, a lot of people get tested if someone else fucks up, my post was intended for any nurses etc who may be reading and miss smoking :)

djbaseball24
Nov 27, 2006
i just got robbed at gunpoint, so I spent today and yesterday getting completely shitfaced on cheap beer. Bastard stole everything.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

djbaseball24 posted:

i just got robbed at gunpoint, so I spent today and yesterday getting completely shitfaced on cheap beer. Bastard stole everything.

I CAN'T be the only one that needs more details here... Sooooo, what exactly happened? I have a long and boring shift ahead of me, so feel free to embellish anything you need to, to make it more entertaining to read...

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Jut finished 24 hours coding over 2 days.

Now I have whisky and damnit I am getting drunk on a Tuesday night.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Turns out bread goes from perfectly fine to moldy as gently caress basically overnight, so I just ate some peanut butter and jelly with a spoon. Not because I don't have any money, mostly because I didn't feel like getting off my rear end and going to buy more bread...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

kastein posted:

Turns out bread goes from perfectly fine to moldy as gently caress basically overnight, so I just ate some peanut butter and jelly with a spoon. Not because I don't have any money, mostly because I didn't feel like getting off my rear end and going to buy more bread...

Scrape the mould off.

• Locked thread