Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Centripetal Horse posted:

This is fun, good work. Unfortunately, Rod Stewart's Tonight's the Night absolutely dominated around the time of my conception. However, if I go back two weeks, I get Rock'n Me by The Steve Miller Band, which is much better.

Edit: Hahaha, my little sister was fertilized to Funkytown by Lipps, Inc.

Thanks. I posted the site on reddit, and it got to the front page. Blew the gently caress up. Completely crashed my $5 droplet on DigitalOcean. I had to upgrade to the $40/month one and strip a bunch of logging code that I was really proud of to get it to stop being so loving awful. This is what my Google Analytics page looked like this morning:

It was even blogged about by Esquire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
That's awesome! I also saw it on /r/Music as the top-voted post with around 3000 upvotes. Congrats on the traffic!

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

musclecoder posted:

That's awesome! I also saw it on /r/Music as the top-voted post with around 3000 upvotes. Congrats on the traffic!

Thanks. I don't even know what those numbers mean. My day job is security guard. I'm way out of my league help me please oh god.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Literally Elvis posted:

Thanks. I don't even know what those numbers mean. My day job is security guard. I'm way out of my league help me please oh god.
It means MONETIZE THAT poo poo MAN, ads or something, I don't know. But congrats regardless!

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

Literally Elvis posted:

I would re-order the social media share buttons to be above the video. I was going to suggest you add them, and then noticed they were already there and I just didn't see them. Maybe larger / more prominent buttons?

If you're running your own mysql for this, and you haven't configured it at all, I recommend running the mysql tuner script ( http://mysqltuner.com/ ) and doing what it tells you to; adjusting your cache sizes and making sure you have correct indexes will drastically help with query times.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Literally Elvis posted:

This stuff spread fast. A Facebook friend already posted a Dutch version. You should revenue this fast.

http://geboortedaghit.nl

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Grawl posted:

This stuff spread fast. A Facebook friend already posted a Dutch version. You should revenue this fast.

http://geboortedaghit.nl

Google are being dicks about an AdSense account I had forever ago, so I might be able to get that in a few weeks if I'm lucky. Amazon declined to let me be an associate. iTunes hasn't gotten back to me.

If I had known it would be this popular, I would have secured the monetization techniques first, but as of now I'm sort of hosed. Hopefully this is good for my resume. v:shobon:v

(edit: got some ads on the site now, here's hoping?)

On a side note, this site really did blow up. It's been featured on AskMen, Complex, The Daily Dot, Time.com, a Cnet podcast, and Esquire.

What are the odds that any/all of this would be good for my career, by the way? This is literally the first website I've ever made.

Literally Elvis fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 28, 2014

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride

Literally Elvis posted:

What are the odds that any/all of this would be good for my career, by the way? This is literally the first website I've ever made.

You're going to be the next Mark Zuckerberg.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Cryolite posted:

You're going to be the next Mark Zuckerberg.

I didn't mean to come off as douchey or arrogant or anything. I'm just not sure if something goofy like this has any real appeal to employers.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Literally Elvis posted:

I didn't mean to come off as douchey or arrogant or anything. I'm just not sure if something goofy like this has any real appeal to employers.
Spun right, yes. It's a story you can tell in an interview - a very good one, at that.

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride

Literally Elvis posted:

Oops, sorry, didn't mean to come off as an rear end. I meant it in the most encouraging way possible. :)

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Literally Elvis posted:

I got my current job by showing them The Awful Yearbook. Showing them a "successful" project that you completed on your own is a great thing for a resume or interview, I don't think it matters if it's kinda goofy.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I got my first internship because I talked about how I started my own rom downloading website - illegal content and all. It's a conversation starter and shows you're actually interested/motivated by technology and have put in some amount of effort outside of the norm. We, as people doing the hiring, love that.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Taking a break from some of the harder math stuff to throw together a UI for labelling vehicle data. Summarily, the air force UAV dataset contains a ground truth, but it sucks dick. Average 'center' can be as far off as 100 pixels from the real vehicle. Since I'm not one to label 12,000 tracks by hand across 1TB of images, I made a backend that breaks things down into small chunks for processing by an army of undergraduates and the interface to add centers and forward vectors.

There's still some usability stuff to be considered, like keyboard shortcuts and auto-switching from normal to create mode, but it works well enough for me to make a few hundred labels.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Literally Elvis posted:

Google are being dicks about an AdSense account I had forever ago, so I might be able to get that in a few weeks if I'm lucky. Amazon declined to let me be an associate. iTunes hasn't gotten back to me.

You can always use Project Wonderful.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Sony has a nice PSN app for iOS and Android called Kyoutou Guild. Basically it lets you ask your friends or the public for help if you're stuck in the (few) supported games. It's a nice little app. It's actually native, rather than a web app like the official PSN one, but the UI is pretty nuts. It has a card/ticket based system, and weird list grids for managing them. If nothing else though, it works just fine on my iPhone and iPad.

However, in their faq they specifically call out Windows Phone, and say it's not supported. Well, I am a Windows Phone/Windows 8 developer, so I love a challenge.

I'm mapping their API right now, and it's pretty strange. While the PSN API uses OAUTH2 for managing user authentication, this uses a session id key, which gets passed in with every post/get. Why? I don't know :shrug:. You don't even refresh the id, it's the same one no matter what. Right now I have it logging in, but I still have a long way to go.

When you first launch their app, before you can log in, it downloads "assets" to your phone. It's calling these links, which don't require any authentication to poll, getting some JSON and downloading everything to the phone. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle this; I think I'm going to set up a SQlite database to manage/update them, and either download them when I need to, or do what they do and put it on the initial load.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
And suddenly you end up accidentally accessing the entire PSN payment system and discover the admin account has the default password.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

DSauer posted:

And suddenly you end up accidentally accessing the entire PSN payment system and discover the admin account has the default password.

You can't access payment stuff, but if you want to download games and movies from the PSN directly on your computer you can. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but as of a year ago with the PS3 all of those ajax calls to populate the PSN store with items were done with zero authentication, and they included the package links with them. There were Windows apps out there that let you search and download them directly. Of course, they are encrypted and you still need to be authenticated to run them, but in terms of their APIs, they just don't seem to care.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Not to mention this thing.

Wilko
Dec 3, 2013

:toot:
I've been working on a node based noise editor for Unity for a few weeks on and off. Its using LibNoise to run all the noise generation and operations. I've rewritten a lot of the node-linking today so that it isn't complete shite and it lets nodes multi-link to other nodes from their outputs now.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Literally Elvis posted:

I got a job offer recently because I made a twitter bot that found people that used the word "legos" and reminded them that they're not legos, they're LEGOŽ Brand Building Blocks/Bricks (I then got contacted by LEGO's global marketing manager who asked me to knock it off because although they need to stop their trade-mark from being genericized, they for sure don't want to get into a fight about it with their customers).

Literally any project you can show is awesome, and this is one that has been shared around a lot, you should be super happy about it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Literally Elvis posted:

Thanks. I posted the site on reddit, and it got to the front page. Blew the gently caress up. Completely crashed my $5 droplet on DigitalOcean. I had to upgrade to the $40/month one and strip a bunch of logging code that I was really proud of to get it to stop being so loving awful. This is what my Google Analytics page looked like this morning:

It was even blogged about by Esquire.

I just saw this pop up on my facebook feed. I bet its an awesome feeling to see a random project get that type of exposure. How goes the effort to monetize it?

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Literally any project you can show is awesome, and this is one that has been shared around a lot, you should be super happy about it.

Two class projects of mine for the BeagleBoard and BeagleBone Black platforms have turned into tens of thousands of dollars in side consulting work, a series of magazine articles, and an offer to write a book. :ssh:

You'd be surprised how many opportunities exist that allow you to :10bux: your projects outside of the usual "slap ads on it to harvest pageview numbers". I'd start with contacting any large-ish site that has mentioned your project and try to network from there. They can introduce you to other people who can potentially offer you new opportunities. Flex those entrepreneurial muscles and make the most of your 15 minutes of fame!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

We're finally approaching final art, in Hot Tin Roof:

The artists are still going back and forth on it, and I'll be arguing for removing all the circular elements in the dump texturing - bring it more in line with the work they just did on the revolver:

... but at this point, we're talking refinement that most people won't even consciously notice. More angularity on the trash bags and trash cans, strip any remaining circular screwheads or circle logos on the trash, harden edges a bit, etc. We're dang close.

We've got the first "dungeon" grayboxed out and playable, which we'll be showing at Denver ComiCon in 2 weeks. The artists are plugging in the final art seen above, I'm working on the Dialoguer system that'll power our conversations AND cinematics / I'm scripting that this week, and then next week is basically just playtesting and refinement. Then our first proper user test with final art et al, at Denver ComiCon. Woo! :neckbeard:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 1, 2014

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

I just saw this pop up on my facebook feed. I bet its an awesome feeling to see a random project get that type of exposure. How goes the effort to monetize it?

Amazon Associates declined my application:

Amazon posted:

A part of our criteria is that your site has to be established with enough unique content. We rejected your application due to one or more of the following reasons.

- Lack of content which is original and beneficial to your visitors
- Pages that are mainly empty when advertisement content is removed websites containing mostly images, videos, or Flash animations will not be approved

Unfortunately, we arent able to review an application once its been rejected.

Google Adsense was all borked because I had an account way back in high school and it was going to take a few weeks to make right all the issues with the account, so in a desperate effort to stop getting questions about monetization, I put Chitika ads on the site. They advertise themselves as "the #1 Adsense Alternative", and creating an account was super easy. I'm pretty sure they're meant for really low-traffic sites because their main selling point seems to be the lower payout threshold. Anyway, this is what the dashboard thing on Chitika looks like:

v:shobon:v it'll pay for the hosting and a couple of beers, at least.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
A donate button probably would've been more profitable.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Factor Mystic posted:

A donate button probably would've been more profitable.
Almost certainly, but lessons learned. I had zero clue or notion that the site would be at all popular, and when it did become popular, it crashed. I thought putting a donate button or ads during the first two or three days it was up would be a dick move, or seem like a blatant request to friends and family that I shared the site with.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

Literally Elvis posted:

Almost certainly, but lessons learned. I had zero clue or notion that the site would be at all popular, and when it did become popular, it crashed. I thought putting a donate button or ads during the first two or three days it was up would be a dick move, or seem like a blatant request to friends and family that I shared the site with.

You could just put a gittip which generally tends to come off as a little bit less beggy since it's not like a normal donate button.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Literally Elvis posted:

I used to think that too, but it turns out people who don't want to give you money will ignore it, and people that do will use it, and it's not that big of a deal.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Shalinor posted:

We're finally approaching final art, in Hot Tin Roof:

I don't want to come off as overly negative but what's with the scale and art direction here? In some of the other examples rooms were necessarily large and open to facilitate platforming, but the basic details were still in scale. So the doors had some head clearance but were not overly large. Here you have trash bags bigger than the player and a fence that is a story and a half high. For the art, I was kind of expecting the blocky characters to live in a similar environment to make it all mesh (that's just a personal anticipation but I don't think it's one that'd be unexpected). Right now the characters feel really small and out of place, and then there's what appears to be a bouncy castle in the background that is yet another style with hand drawn smudgy details, then behind that a totally "normal" skyline where an opportunity was missed I think to give it some environmental character. Include the particle spewing lit torches attached to a wood fence and the style just seems all over the place. I apologize for being harsh but I can't really get my head around what this is trying to express.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

JossiRossi posted:

I don't want to come off as overly negative but what's with the scale and art direction here? In some of the other examples rooms were necessarily large and open to facilitate platforming, but the basic details were still in scale. So the doors had some head clearance but were not overly large. Here you have trash bags bigger than the player and a fence that is a story and a half high. For the art, I was kind of expecting the blocky characters to live in a similar environment to make it all mesh (that's just a personal anticipation but I don't think it's one that'd be unexpected). Right now the characters feel really small and out of place, and then there's what appears to be a bouncy castle in the background that is yet another style with hand drawn smudgy details, then behind that a totally "normal" skyline where an opportunity was missed I think to give it some environmental character. Include the particle spewing lit torches attached to a wood fence and the style just seems all over the place. I apologize for being harsh but I can't really get my head around what this is trying to express.

This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking, but way more eloquent.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

JossiRossi posted:

I apologize for being harsh but I can't really get my head around what this is trying to express.
There's currently a disconnect between the 3D assets and the characters, not to mention the particles for the torches aren't aligned at all with the new art. There's ALSO a disconnect right now in the texturing, where you'll see round bolts and other elements that need to be squared in the textures, which we've solved in the recent gun art, but most of the world texturing was done just before that. That's all stuff we'll be addressing post-ComiCon. The art style is currently close-but-not-quite for what we're looking for. The sky is another first-take on skyboxes for the world, though I doubt we'll touch it until the rest is feeling cohesive. It's just iteration from here.

Scale's a bit weird. Trash cans and the like are always going to be a bit over-sized, because we want them to be interesting platforming elements in addition to detail elements, and having things slightly bigger kinda adds to the comical bent anyways. Even so, you're right, the trash bags are way too big as it stands, and the trash can's a bit of an issue for other reasons. We're considering taking both out of the game entirely, and going with boxes of trash instead - bags just don't look right in a square world. That's another post-ComiCon thing.

That fence, however, is the barrier fence around the dump, and it is all tall as it should be (about 1 story / 10 feet). Remember that stories (is that the right plural for height "story"? huh) in game terms aren't measured in player height, but in jump height. Almost all platformers have hallways that are too-tall seeming for this reason, if you look at the layouts logically, because there are a lot of very good design reasons that make jump height almost alway be 2x-3x standing height despite that making no realistic sense. You're right that it reads weirdly regardless, probably because the style is that of a neighborhood fence. I doubt it'll be an issue once trash is probably piled up in the background, but we'll at least need to replace the gate with something more in keeping with a 10+ foot barrier fence.

The bouncy castle, I can't speak to. It isn't small, it's huge, and we're in no way attempting to imply the character is tiny. It's just a gigantic bouncy castle. Stylistically, we'll wait and see how it fits once the rest is done, though it's always going to be a bit different due to the material differences / needing to appear soft by comparison.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 3, 2014

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

I understand if the art is not where it needs to be for the final project, but I sort of have concerns that this particular shot indicates straying away from the things that make HTR appealing to me.

These two screenshots are supposed to be of the same game.

But they do not look like it. To be totally blunt, one of them I would buy, and the other I would pass over.

I don't want to seem flippant about the amount of words that you responded with (going to go over and make sure this next comment is fully true) but I think just those two images side by side really illustrates the issues I feel with art direction/consistency.

There's a lot of nitpicks I can forgive with proper implementation of style. Such as comically big bouncy castles, or large junkyard fences, as long as the world meshes and just clicks. If soft textures are making the bouncy castle stick out, maybe have it be a blocky castle that moves in a bouncy way to counteract to required rigidness of the style. I feel like ultimately stylistic sacrifices are being made and it's a detriment to the overall effect.

I know if might be from a while back, and may still be in the game, but that first screenshot says everything about HTR that I think it needs to. It has character, style, a clean design, and is interesting to explore visually while not being distracting. All of which unfortunately appears to have been lost in the latest screenshot.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I do think the first screenshot errs a bit too much towards "My first Blender project", but the second one is just unreadable. It's too dark, and it's a mish-mash of art styles that make it hard to distinguish foreground from background. Perhaps it looks better in motion.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

JossiRossi posted:

I understand if the art is not where it needs to be for the final project, but I sort of have concerns that this particular shot indicates straying away from the things that make HTR appealing to me.

These two screenshots are supposed to be of the same game.

But they do not look like it. To be totally blunt, one of them I would buy, and the other I would pass over.

I know if might be from a while back, and may still be in the game, but that first screenshot says everything about HTR that I think it needs to. It has character, style, a clean design, and is interesting to explore visually while not being distracting. All of which unfortunately appears to have been lost in the latest screenshot.
You're going to have to trust that we're making the right calls, basically. That first screenshot? One very notable IGF judge reported that he loved the game on a whole, but couldn't tell what was finished art and what was placeholder, which is why he voted us down. HUGE red flag.

The final game's art style, or at least the world art style, will thus be different from the prototype. We've gone back and forth on that particular issue a bunch, and couldn't find a version of the style that looked "finished" without pushing it in this direction. Some folks won't like that, others will (general twitter feedback thus far: "I didn't think the final game would look anywhere near this good!"), and hopefully everyone will enjoy the game regardless. EDIT: Though, again, it's still a work-in-progress. I don't think there's a single asset in that screenshot that we consider perfect.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 4, 2014

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Shalinor posted:

You're going to have to trust that we're making the right calls, basically. That first screenshot? One very notable IGF judge reported that he loved the game on a whole, but couldn't tell what was finished art and what was placeholder, which is why he voted us down. HUGE red flag.

The final game's art style, or at least the world art style, will thus be different from the prototype. We've gone back and forth on that particular issue a bunch, and couldn't find a version of the style that looked "finished" without pushing it in this direction. Some folks won't like that, others will (general twitter feedback thus far: "I didn't think the final game would look anywhere near this good!"), and hopefully everyone will enjoy the game regardless.

All I can say is I think you are throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Instead of reiterating and refining the issues that seemed unfinished at IGF you appear to be remaking the visuals from scratch but without the benefit of the previous strong and interesting art direction. I understand what the judge meant, there are too many flat surfaces of single colored shades. But instead of killing the shape, style, and character of the world it could have been textured, decaled, and detailed in ways that kept the same strengths but removed the "First Blender Project" feel.

To horribly co-opt a quote, "The plural of tweet, is not data." Chances are anyone following you will already be bent towards uncritical appraise. Anyone can tweet, "Looks great!" but you simply can't delve into the issues of readability, consistency, and other philosophies that will actual be valuable in terms of review.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

In an ideal world, we would have kept experimenting forever, until it was absolute perfection. Unfortunately, we had to make a call and move on, because we're running on limited budget - and within some standard deviation of the above is where that call will land us, come ship. Hopefully, you'll like what we end up with. The downside with open development is sometimes, folks read too much into in-development art, so could be the bits you're hanging up on won't be in final, or could be you'll still dislike it, hard to say.

... but we WILL ship. If we hadn't made the call? Blown budget, no game, dead. Nothing will ever be perfect, but delivering a fun and finished product to our backers definitely rates higher on that scale than yet another "So we've transitioned to nights and evenings..." Kickstarter implosion. ;)

EDIT: One cool thing is, because of a recent (small) investment from an Angel, the artists are putting in more time as we ramp into final production. That gives us more bandwidth for experimentation. I seriously doubt we'll skew MASSIVELY in terms of art direction, but it does mean we're not totally locked in. Also, I'm passing this feedback all back to our artists, so we'll see what happens. (I am not an artist)

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 4, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I do think the first screenshot errs a bit too much towards "My first Blender project", but the second one is just unreadable. It's too dark, and it's a mish-mash of art styles that make it hard to distinguish foreground from background. Perhaps it looks better in motion.

I think the first one looks just like Grim Fandango which is a good thing :colbert:

That said it sounds like Shalinor's got a grip on things.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

JossiRossi posted:

To horribly co-opt a quote, "The plural of tweet, is not data."

Agreed, this was horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

Agreed, this was horrible.

I know :(