Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

Macro could use some more words, I think.

Unrelated:

http://www.people-press.org/2014/05/19/for-2016-hopefuls-washington-experience-could-do-more-harm-than-good/

Didn't realize atheism was still so massively unpopular in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Sir Rolo posted:

Didn't realize atheism was still so massively unpopular in America.

It is, and depending on where you live, its a pretty unpopular thing to be vocal about and you will get questions about your morals and lack thereof decently often. Now, this is not really all that big of a deal, but you can see how reddit atheists get their fuel if they are from the bible belt or other conservative areas and do legitimately get harassed by family and friends for not being religious.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It is, and depending on where you live, its a pretty unpopular thing to be vocal about and you will get questions about your morals and lack thereof decently often. Now, this is not really all that big of a deal, but you can see how reddit atheists get their fuel if they are from the bible belt or other conservative areas and do legitimately get harassed by family and friends for not being religious.

Yeah, I've had more than a little of this, and in a NE US city. One time I got into a discussion with someone in which they asked me what my "purpose" in life was. I could only explain that I felt life had no inherent purpose beyond the biological foundations already extant. This was followed by telling me it was because I don't believe in God, and that if I believed in God I would serve Him and my purpose would be to go to Heaven. It was weird, because I wasn't sure what she expected me to say, exactly. I wasn't about to start believing in God, and I wasn't about to attack her beliefs to feel righteous in my own.

So I just shrugged.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah, I've had more than a little of this, and in a NE US city. One time I got into a discussion with someone in which they asked me what my "purpose" in life was. I could only explain that I felt life had no inherent purpose beyond the biological foundations already extant. This was followed by telling me it was because I don't believe in God, and that if I believed in God I would serve Him and my purpose would be to go to Heaven. It was weird, because I wasn't sure what she expected me to say, exactly. I wasn't about to start believing in God, and I wasn't about to attack her beliefs to feel righteous in my own.

So I just shrugged.

Isn't saying your "purpose" is to go to heaven the saddest thing ever? Like, there's nothing you can hope to accomplish in life, so you're just waiting to die for something good to happen? This manages to be both anti-human and anti-Christian.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Jurgan posted:

Isn't saying your "purpose" is to go to heaven the saddest thing ever? Like, there's nothing you can hope to accomplish in life, so you're just waiting to die for something good to happen? This manages to be both anti-human and anti-Christian.

I'm not sure if it's better or worse than "I'm part of a convoluted and incomprehensible divine plan"

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

seiferguy posted:

Could be both!

Anyway here's some insane anti-vaccine stuff a coworker posted:

I'm 260 years old and was personally vaccinated for smallpox by Edward Jenner.

Take that, ant-vaccers! :smug:

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

seiferguy posted:

Could be both!

No one could possibly believe this.

I think anti-vaxxers are morons but I refuse to believe that there's any more than two dozen of them that buy this.

I like that they don't cite a single thing in this that would make Rogers a liberal.

MisterBadIdea fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 27, 2014

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

IceAgeComing posted:

Take that, ant-vaccers! :smug:

Ants don't get vaccinated.

There are no autistic ants.

Makes you think...

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Could be both!

Yes, but he was a wizard, so...

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

seiferguy posted:

Could be both!

I'm surprised this didn't use the Count of St. Germain.

That's TWO people who lived past 200 years! So my kid doesn't need a mumps shot!

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

MisterBadIdea posted:

I like that they don't cite a single thing in this that would make Rogers a liberal.

I just did a quick search and the only people claiming that he is liberal are conservative websites that point to the fact that he subscribed to the young turks and he didn't mention god in his manifesto. Because for some reason those make you liberal because everyone knows there are no religious liberals and you can't just subscribe to a youtube channel for the hell of it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

MisterBadIdea posted:

Um, Hollywood father.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

MisterBadIdea posted:

He murdered people and only liberals are depraved enough to murder people therefore he's a liberal.

-Actual logic my dad has used in our dinner table arguments in the past.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Guys I drink a fifth of wisky every day. Did I mention I'm a thousand?

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Out of curiosity, I did a Google search to see the lengths people will go to blame atrocities on anyone but conservatives. And naturally, I didn't have to look far:

quote:

Why do Drunk Democrats, still try to align Liberal Timothy McVeigh with Conservatives ?
Timothy McVeigh was a Self Admitted Agnostic. Agnostics are Liberals that deny the Holy Sanctity of Jesus Christ as GOD and Savior. Agnostics also hold true to Global Warming and Evolution. Since Evolution ties Human Beings to Rocks...you would have to be a Democrat Rock to believe that the Agnostic McVeigh was ever a Conservative.

quote:

What horrible events from growing up could possibly tip a kid to blow up a Federal Building killing innocent men, women and children? In looking at the early years of Timothy McVeigh, the inescapable conclusion is his being raised by two of the most violent elements of our society: Democrats and Unions.

From listening to Bill Clinton and the left wing “blame Bush” crowd, one would assume that only a youth spent with a right wing, gun toting, NRA loving, pickup driving, redneck Republican daddy could do the kind of damage required to mold a young mind to behave like… like… Bill Ayers? Blowing up government buildings and all.

quote:

While liberal news outlets such as MSNBC were cynically exploiting the April 19 anniversary of the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing by attempting to tie the terrorist attack to the anti-government sentiments of the modern-day Tea Party movement, investigative reporter Jayna Davis was setting the record straight in an exclusive interview on the AIM radio show, Take AIM. The Oklahoma City bombing was an Arab/Muslim terrorist attack on the United States, she says.

Davis, author of a blockbuster book on the attack, The Third Terrorist, has examined and presented the evidence showing that Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh was in fact a front man for Middle Eastern terrorists. The third terrorist, in addition to the two, McVeigh and Terry Nichols, who were convicted, was an Arab. This was the mysterious “John Doe” who was never found. But other members of an Arab terrorist network were involved, she says.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Extramarital affair - 2% more likely. Sampling error/trolling, or genuine sentiment?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I got a great one today.

I got this from a PA when I went in for a check up

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Extramarital affair - 2% more likely. Sampling error/trolling, or genuine sentiment?

Welp the philandering is out in the open now so at least he won't be run out of office in disgrace over it halfway through his term.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Also, it makes the candidate marginally more likely to be Bill Clinton.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The way this graph is formatted bothers me so drat much. PUT NEUTRAL IN THE loving MIDDLE YOU TWITS

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I dunno, I think I'd appreciate a president who had an extramarital affair and was up-front about it, it would make me feel like they were more... human? Susceptible to error, but willing to rectify it? I know my own marriage hasn't always been a good, solid Christian one, so presidents who play that part make me feel almost condescended to. I like people who are more "real" in political positions.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

I can sort of see being suspicious of a man who is incredibly driven to acquire power over others, but "getting a bunch of crazy sex" does not appear anywhere on the list of things he would like to do with that power. A guy like that is probably either a saint or some kind of deeply ruthless motherfucker.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Thermos H Christ posted:

I can sort of see being suspicious of a man who is incredibly driven to acquire power over others, but "getting a bunch of crazy sex" does not appear anywhere on the list of things he would like to do with that power. A guy like that is probably either a saint or some kind of deeply ruthless motherfucker.

No, the deeply ruthless motherfucker is still gonna have his affair, he'll just kill the girl to keep it quiet.

usbombshell
Oct 29, 2004

Boom!
I have to stop reading my local news personality's FB pages (a public page):

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
An oldie but goodie:

Thanks Obama. :mad:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hundreds of thousands of people dead in 2011 thanks to Obama's invention: health care

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mo_Steel posted:

An oldie but goodie:

Thanks Obama. :mad:

I'll have to dig through my old posts but I did an effort post on this. Malpractice used to be a major problem. The medical industry, especially anesthesiologists, acted like adults, made some common sense reforms and now the number of deaths is far lower.

vyelkin posted:

Well, the first and foremost rebuttal should be that gun control isn't simply about murder but also about suicide and accident prevention.

2010 was the latest year I could find statistics for, and in 2010 31,672 Americans died from overall firearms use, whether homicide, suicide, or accidental. Even assuming the chart in the article you linked is accurate, that puts overall firearms juuust below accidental poisoning. Then, of course, you get into the debate about how gun control is also a form of suicide prevention, since 3 out of 5 gun deaths are suicides, and simply having a gun in your home increases your risk of suicide by anywhere between two and ten times, depending on age and storage method.

That's just the tip of the iceberg, but it's a good place to start.

e: actually I found some 2011 statistics: 32,163 gun deaths in the US in 2011.

Walter posted:

Okay, first, all data was found here.

That chart is way off, and cherry picks "gun violence" to "homicides" only, when the rest of the statistics are "deaths." It ignores suicides, easily the largest single proportion of firearms-related deaths.

That is a really good example of the deceptive use of charts and data by people with an agenda. It also lumps "death from unintentional injury" from pretty much every cause together, which includes > 600 firearms-related accidental fatalities.

Here're some data from reports of firearms-related incidents in the US from 2010. Data taken from the above link.

All firearms fatalities, 2010 (US) (total number = 32,016)

All firearms non-fatal injuries, 2010 (US) (total number = 73,883)

All firearms-related incidents, 2010 (US) (total number = 105,899)

In other words, firearms are overwhelmingly used for either suicide, killing people, or in assaults that cause injury. I didn't even bother to try to find stats for incidents in which a gun was flashed. Probably too many to get an accurate read.

Also, considering that we're actively trying to reduce the behaviors that contribute to deaths from every one of those other categories, you could ask your friend if he's somehow suggesting that we should just stop worrying about gun deaths altogether? If we're going to work to reduce fatalities in all those situations, shouldn't we be trying to address gun-related fatalities as well?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The 195 Thousand figure is from a 2004 study by Healthgrades a private company that rates hospitals.

I'm just picking through the studies trying to find relevant data. Their methodology probably changes from year to year

http://www.healthgrades.com/quality/archived-reports

Here's the 2004 study:
https://www.cpmhealthgrades.com/CPM/assets/File/PatientSafetyInAmericanHospitalsReport2004.pdf
"Using this finding and excluding obstetric patients, we calculated that an extra $19 billion was spent, and over 575,000 preventable deaths occurred, as a direct result of the 2.5 million patient safety incidents that occurred in U.S. hospitals from 2000 through 2002."
191,000 per year I think they're using their medicare data to extrapolate to the entire US healthcare system.

Patient Safety Incidents and Their Attributable Mortality and Excess Charge Among
Medicare Beneficiaries by PSI from 2000-2002
Actual Number of National Incidents: 1,141,472
Number of Deaths Attributable to a PSI (Attributable Mortality**): 263,864
87,954 per year.

2005 Study:
https://www.cpmhealthgrades.com/CPM/assets/File/PatientSafetyInAmericanHospitalsReport2005.pdf
2001-2003 Total Patients with one or more patient safety incidents: 1,112,536
2001-2003 Total Deaths with one or more patient safety incidents: 298,865
99,621 per year

2006 Study:
https://www.cpmhealthgrades.com/CPM/assets/File/PatientSafetyInAmericanHospitalsStudy2006.pdf
2002-2004
1,239,001 Total Incidents
304,702 Associated Mortality
101,567 per year

2007 Study
https://www.cpmhealthgrades.com/CPM/assets/File/PatientSafetyInAmericanHospitalsStudy2007.pdf
2003-2005
1,160,184 Incidents
284,798 Deaths
94,932 per year

2008 Study
https://www.cpmhealthgrades.com/CPM/assets/File/PatientSafetyInAmericanHospitalsStudy2008.pdf
2004-2006
1,123,497 Incidents
270,491 Deaths
90,163 per year

2009 Study
https://www.cpmhealthgrades.com/CPM/assets/File/PatientSafetyInAmericanHospitalsStudy2009.pdf
2005-2007
864,765 Incidents
97,755 Deaths
32,585 per year,
It looks like they way "Failure to Rescue" is defined has been changed because the numbers changed dramatically.
"Additionally, HealthGrades modified the failure to rescue patient group by excluding cancer patients–
patients having any ICD-9 code between 140.0 and 208.9 or between 230.0 and 239.9. (AHRQ now
refers to failure to rescue as death among surgical inpatients with serious treatable complications.)
HealthGrades also removed hospitals in the U.S. territories and Puerto Rico from the data set."

2010 Study
https://www.cpmhealthgrades.com/CPM/assets/File/PatientSafetyInAmericanHospitalsStudy2010.pdf
2006-2008
908,401 Incidents
99,180 Deaths
33060 Per year

2011 Study
https://www.cpmhealthgrades.com/CPM/assets/File/HealthGradesPatientSafetyInAmericanHospitalsStudy2011.pdf
2007-2009
667,828 Incidents
79,670 Deaths
26,556 Per Year

Here's the 2012 study:
https://www.cpmhealthgrades.com/CPM/assets/File/HealthGradesPatientSafetySatisfactionReport2012.pdf
2008-2010
254,200 Incidents
56,367 Deaths
18,789 Per Year

Edit: The study changes format from year to year but I'm going to try to get this all straightened out.
Edit2: Got all the studies summarized. It's not possible to directly compare one study to another because the way incidents are defined changes from year to year.

So look at these two, we had a huge public health problem. We did a lot of research, developed programs and increased education. Over time the problem got fixed. Let's do that with gun violence!

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 28, 2014

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
I think someone pointed out that they left handguns out as it dwarfs the rest.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Save that graphic as the right has been pushing Tort Reform(stop suing my doctor friends QQ)

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I got a great one today.

This is the craziest thing I've seen so far. I'm vegetarian and all but limit my cheese? No thanks.

edit: Wait, what? Why would you encourage tempeh, but discourage soy/edamame

Pong Daddy fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 28, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Pong Daddy posted:

This is the craziest thing I've seen so far. I'm vegetarian and all but limit my cheese? No thanks.

edit: Wait, what? Why would you encourage tempeh, but discourage soy/edamame

I'm guessing that organic tempeh won't be GMO. That's probably the entire reason soy is discouraged.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I got a great one today.

What is a PA? Please tell me it's not a health certification.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

What is a PA? Please tell me it's not a health certification.

Physician Assistant, similar to an Advanced Practice Nurse. A mid-level practitioner(between nurse and doctor)

I may be wrong, I didn't work in licensing for long.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

I'd wager 50/50 split between the two if they used a low-annoyance method of sampling. There's people who won't give legitimate survey answers no matter what the stakes, but there are plenty of people who go, "yeah, the president having an affair is awesome. It A. legitimizes my own desires, B. proves he's a go-getter who doesn't stop, or C. proves he's a strong manly man who will work like a man in Washington. People have really dumb reasons for believing things. But there's no way that's only sampling.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013

seiferguy posted:

Could be both!

It's worth noting that the Bible contains characters who lived to be 700-900 years old, which is also the type of stuff the readers of these memes believe.

(at least in Oregon's case, I've read that many anti-vaxxers are Christian wackos)

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm not sure if it's better or worse than "I'm part of a convoluted and incomprehensible divine plan"

Easy: we are here to be greedily digested by an amoral universe.

VitalSigns posted:

Hundreds of thousands of people dead in 2011 thanks to Obama's invention: health care

Had a friend visiting from Canada ask, in pure innocence coming from an outsider perspective, why everyone hates Obama. Guy form my hometown (who has somewhat but not irredeemably absorbed some of the "mah guns!" rhetoric) stammered in surprise a minute, finally said something like "oh, he passes all these lovely laws!" She followed up, not at all realizing she was shattering the fantasy: "Oh, like what?" Later I explained to her the Sitch, but for the moment it was a pretty funny and awkward moment of all eyes being torn from the pool.

Solution to the populism problem: invite naïve foreigners to hang out more.

Lemma fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 28, 2014

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nibbles141 posted:

I think someone pointed out that they left handguns out as it dwarfs the rest.

If you check the statistics, you'll be surprised to note that 496 represents every single bludgeoning death in the year 2011, with weapons ranging from baseball bats to bricks, all represented by that hammer. So, they made sure that only killing with a specific type of rifle was counted, but for some reason were peachy keen to lump every single bludgeoning death under "hammers" and every stabbing under "kitchen knives". Gee, I wonder why they feel that sort of selective specificity would be necessary.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Fulchrum posted:

If you check the statistics, you'll be surprised to note that 496 represents every single bludgeoning death in the year 2011, with weapons ranging from baseball bats to bricks, all represented by that hammer. So, they made sure that only killing with a specific type of rifle was counted, but for some reason were peachy keen to lump every single bludgeoning death under "hammers" and every stabbing under "kitchen knives". Gee, I wonder why they feel that sort of selective specificity would be necessary.

The FBI has a nice break down of all the weapons in homicides and breaks the numbers down by weapon to a pretty detailed degree. The "guns" quoted there isn't even all "long guns" it's just rifles. Shotguns (using 2011 numbers which is where that image get's it's number from) are a further 356 deaths. Hilariously though there are options for both "other guns" and "Not specified" on the list. So as others have said, they no only left out handguns (6,220 deaths that year) but also 3 more categories that had higher death counts. That's about as dishonest as you can get.

This is also just homicides and doesn't include any other incidents of violent crime where a gun or other weapon is used. Others have posted those number though and it's pretty clear that you have to lie to try and make guns seem that harmless compared to everything else.

Link to page: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-8

EDIT: Page for general violent crime stats: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/violent-crime/murder

Crain fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 28, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

I dunno, I think I'd appreciate a president who had an extramarital affair and was up-front about it, it would make me feel like they were more... human? Susceptible to error, but willing to rectify it? I know my own marriage hasn't always been a good, solid Christian one, so presidents who play that part make me feel almost condescended to. I like people who are more "real" in political positions.

I remember hearing a report when the Clinton Got a Blowjob scandal was in full force that some reporters were asking other nations' people what they thought about it. The thing that sticks in my mind was a bunch of Russians saying they wished that their president did that sort of thing. They were stuck with a stodgy old guy that didn't do much while Clinton was still young and energetic enough to have an active sex life.

Similarly I remember radio shows going over sets of drug habits and pointing out that a lot of leaders that Americans think were pretty damned good had some...uh...habits...or used drugs when they were younger. This expectation of total moral purity in politicians is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chorrax
May 11, 2007

:wotwot:
Ohhh man my aunt just posted this gem:

...because Jews didn't have guns in the 20s-30s, it was easier to commit genocide, I guess?

its insane how people think we live in this nightmare world and we need our guns to protect us from "them" and our president is trying to take away our guns (he isn't).

It's like a whole section of society has excessive paranoia that cripples their ability to view reality properly. (hence this thread I guess)