Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Brawnfire posted:

Oh, so it doesn't do anything physical.

It just affects your brain. :confused:

Actually, now Vulcans sort of gross me out. At least if a Klingon does something to your body, it's because they hate you and want you to stop breathing. Who knows what supercilious reasons Vulcans might come up with that altering your cerebral state is "good" for you and not, in fact, an even more disgusting act of violence.

Brawnfire literally thinks severe pain and possible brain damage/death is less disgusting than telepathic waves inducing a sleep state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
If I was manning a guard post or something I sure as gently caress would rather be nerve-pinched than have my skull caved in, but I guess I'm just some skeevy pinko liberal or something.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Brawnfire posted:

Oh, so it doesn't do anything physical.

It just affects your brain. :confused:

Actually, now Vulcans sort of gross me out. At least if a Klingon does something to your body, it's because they hate you and want you to stop breathing. Who knows what supercilious reasons Vulcans might come up with that altering your cerebral state is "good" for you and not, in fact, an even more disgusting act of violence.
It seems like Vulcans have to put some effort into it to actually enter a state of telepathic communion with you when they could gently caress with you. The neck pinch seems like it's basically a psychic taser without the electric stuff; presumably they just send a big old "Sleep now, rear end in a top hat" signal into your nervous system, which is simpler than establishing communication.

I'm imagining a vulcan martial art which is all positioning and cautious movements with the end game being the neck pinch. Maybe that's what suus mahna is.

It also may not be telepathic, didn't Data do it?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah, it's a physical thing because Data did do it in Reunification and he sure as hell wasn't telepathic.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Apple Jax posted:

Mildly related--I feel like I read somewhere that the Vulcan nerve pinch isn't actually doing anything physical to the victim but instead is like some version of the mild meld that puts the person to sleep. Sperg Alpha doesn't mention it...Maybe it was in Nimoy's "I am Not Spock"/"I am Spock"? It's been some 15 years since I read those so I seriously can't remember.

That's what I always believed...

Until they showed Data doing it.

edit: beaten to the punch, but here is a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yxgLMHjGoE#t=22

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

But then again, McCoy tries and fails. And he has Spock's katra all up in his poo poo.

Maybe being liquored up on Jim Beam makes it harder to perform?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Brawnfire literally thinks severe pain and possible brain damage/death is less disgusting than telepathic waves inducing a sleep state.

I live in a grim world-line.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I would really have liked for the transporters to gently caress up imperceptibly once in a while. You know, misalign the capilliaries in your fingers kind of thing. You're fine for a while, but eventually your fingers discolour, go numb, and it's off to loving sickbay for the fifth time this year, goddamn it I'm never using transporter room 16 again.

I'm down with the transporter giving people Raynaud's Phenomenon.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

But then again, McCoy tries and fails. And he has Spock's katra all up in his poo poo.

It's a strength thing. McCoy can't do it because katra or not, he's still a weedy human. Vulcans are stronger than humans and Data being stronger than a Vulcan is what let's them do the move.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well if it isn't the transported Mr. McGregg!

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

jng2058 posted:

It's a strength thing. McCoy can't do it because katra or not, he's still a weedy human. Vulcans are stronger than humans and Data being stronger than a Vulcan is what let's them do the move.

Didn't Archer do it?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Burning_Monk posted:

Didn't Archer do it?

Yes, also Picard, Odo, and Seven of Nine.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cat Hatter posted:

Yes, also Picard, Odo, and Seven of Nine.
Odo and Seven were probably stronger than a human (or could easily make their muscles better in Odo's case, I guess). Picard, I don't know, maybe his weirding training on Arrakis helped.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Maybe Bones is just loving poo poo at it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

The key to the Vulcan Nerve Pinch is an underlying and basic respect for the Vulcan philosophy of logic over emotion.

Bones has no such respect.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Emony's full quote about Bones is actually "He had the hands of a surgeon, but weak rear end grip strength".

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

jscolon2.0 posted:

Emony's full quote about Bones is actually "He had the hands of a surgeon, but weak rear end grip strength".

Man that callback/forward was the best part of STID.

Shame about that.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

jscolon2.0 posted:

I'm sure his rear end-gripping strength was pretty good, though.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Archer (the show) plays the whole getting knocked out thing straight and it's awesome.

Try not to be unconscious for too long because it's super bad for you.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm sure his rear end-gripping strength was pretty good, though.

Good enough for a Trill gymnast, apparently.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Sash! posted:

Try not to be unconscious for too long because it's super bad for you.

I'm unconscious for like, seven hours everyday :ohdear:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Actually, the Vulcan nerve-pinch is just a more logical, elegant, and refined version of the double-handed whammy punch to the shoulderblade that everyone uses to knock people out.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Apple Jax posted:

I posted about this project I was working on about a year ago here, but my small studio just launched a kickstarter for it today and I'm gonna shamelessly post it:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/571735034/icarus-proudbottom-starship-captain

If any of you know of Artemis Bridge Simulator, its going to be a bit like that that in a single player experience. Sorta a dialogue driven adventure game and bridge simulator with combat, exploration, puzzle-solving, dialogue trees and all kinda of fun stuff.

ANYWAY, I included this thread's favorite stupid Trek joke at the end of the kickstarter video, so GO FREAKING WATCH IT.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/571735034/icarus-proudbottom-starship-captain

A lil history: The first two "Icarus Proudbottom" games (Curse of the Chocolate Fountain & Teaches Typing) were actually for Something Awful Game Dev competitions!

OldSenileGuy gave me the OK to post this so please no ban I

God drat, I knew you were cool but I didn't know you were this loving awesome. You have sixteen of my credits!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm amazed you Vulcan apologists buy the "harmless incapacitating" thing hook line and sinker. Do YOU know what a Vulcan mind can do to the fragile human psyche? Can you be entirely sure Spock isn't burning out important sections of brain tissue with every gentle nudge towards unconsciousness? These Vulcans played god with our people for far too long for me to suddenly take their mystical bullshit at face value. I'd rather my brain be pulped by a sustained PHASER burst than let some pointy-eared wizard mess around in it. You're all so credulous it's sickening; why, I think the Mirror Cochrane had it right all along.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

What do you expect? Dammit, he's a doctor not a vice grip!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Apple Jax posted:

I posted about this project I was working on about a year ago here, but my small studio just launched a kickstarter for it today and I'm gonna shamelessly post it:

If any of you know of Artemis Bridge Simulator, its going to be a bit like that that in a single player experience. Sorta a dialogue driven adventure game and bridge simulator with combat, exploration, puzzle-solving, dialogue trees and all kinda of fun stuff.

ANYWAY, I included this thread's favorite stupid Trek joke at the end of the kickstarter video, so GO FREAKING WATCH IT.

A lil history: The first two "Icarus Proudbottom" games (Curse of the Chocolate Fountain & Teaches Typing) were actually for Something Awful Game Dev competitions!

OldSenileGuy gave me the OK to post this so please no ban I

Game looks really cool. I shared it on twitter with some of my trekkie nerd buds. That should hopefully bring a few bucks in.

I love how Icarus fumbles the stardate in the beginning and thinks he's a badass when he cuts off the klingon.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

Now Captain Kirk, that guy is a fighter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pighpPCNPU

Saw this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAWnDksru4g) in the related videos and it made me appreciate how loving awesome TOS is

Bicyclops posted:

But actually that second thing is what looks bad whereas the choreographed dance fighting that permeates throughout most fiction (and is created by fight choreographers and not writers) makes better viewing.

I think realistic looking fight scenes can be made to be compelling, like in the Bourne movies.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Gau posted:

God drat, I knew you were cool but I didn't know you were this loving awesome. You have sixteen of my credits!

Ha, thanks! You guys rule for backing it! Unfortunately it looks like random chance has not operated in our favor and we won't come close to our goal.

Our past (much smaller) games were made in our free time while holding down other full time jobs (if we got funded we would have worked on this full time). Now, maybe we might still work on this on a much MUCH smaller scale, but who knows!

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Don't give up on it! Post more updates. Encourage people to share/tweet/snapgram. You've already made a ton of money!

(I really want this game to happen.)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Gau posted:

Don't give up on it! Post more updates. Encourage people to share/tweet/snapgram. You've already made a ton of money!

(I really want this game to happen.)

It's kickstarter, they haven't made any money unless they get the full amount.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Apple Jax posted:

Ha, thanks! You guys rule for backing it! Unfortunately it looks like random chance has not operated in our favor and we won't come close to our goal.

Our past (much smaller) games were made in our free time while holding down other full time jobs (if we got funded we would have worked on this full time). Now, maybe we might still work on this on a much MUCH smaller scale, but who knows!
You seem to have made about 1/6th of your needed funds, in 1/6th of the relevant time. I would encourage you to keep hustling. Perhaps you could find other communities of Trekkie enthusiasm? Or a goon kickstarter thread in Games or something, IDK. Nonetheless I would not give up on your dream just yet. If you aren't spamming FB and twitter, get on that poo poo. Or Pinterest, or Neo-DWARFNET or whatever the kids use these days. If it wasn't for the obvious downside I'd even say hit up any official Trek forums laying around.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It certainly does :flaccid:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Have you posted it on reddit? They will usually spread it around to all their dumb friends.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Your project would be fully-funded by now if you would just accept FedCred, the decentralized cryptocurrency of the 24th century.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
We already exhausted our media (4 major gaming site reviews and a few minor). And I actually did try to get some Trek sites to write about us but none got back to me. With these types of kickstarters you make most of your pledges in the first few days. Anyway, I appreciate all of your concern!

Anyway, I don't want the thread to turn into Kickstarter chat. PM me if you want more info!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

I kinda figured the big-rear end collar was throwing him off, and/or he lacked the coordination to pull it off. McCoy was kinda fumbling the whole way through.

I also remember reading somewhere that it was supposed to be some kind of vibration thing, where the technique involved vibrating your fingers super-fast or something at a certain frequency, and that was how Data was able to pull it off. I don't know how actual or legit that is though.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I would really have liked for the transporters to gently caress up imperceptibly once in a while. You know, misalign the capilliaries in your fingers kind of thing. You're fine for a while, but eventually your fingers discolour, go numb, and it's off to loving sickbay for the fifth time this year, goddamn it I'm never using transporter room 16 again.

Considering the complexity of the brain, with that kind of margin of error a few misaligned capillaries would probably be the least of your concerns!

Cojawfee posted:

It's kickstarter, they haven't made any money unless they get the full amount.

Its been a couple of years so I don't remember the exact numbers, but I remember seeing some stats from them which indicated almost all funded projects exceed their goals by ~20% of the deadline, and I doubt that's changed much.

I went in on the $11 tier anyway though, game looks cool as hell. :pray:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Speaking of Robert Picardo, did anyone back up the GIF archive before we discovered the terrible secret of the Star Trek thread?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'm trying to get it pinged CFCwide (EVE assholes) but sadly my power isn't was it was...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

Apple Jax posted:

You've got some serious competition on Kickstarter now, Levar Burton just launched one to bring back Reading Rainbow
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/readingrainbow/bring-reading-rainbow-back-for-every-child-everywh

for only $10,000 you can wear (but not keep) the original Geordie visor!

• Locked thread