Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
New Flesh Tone paints to look the part of your Undead Horde, don't worry with your clothes, hygiene, and facial blemishes you are already half way there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
hmm yes perhaps an even application of liquid greenstuff coated with cadian fleshtone will hide this pox mark

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

I don't think you understand the people that play this game, or the target audience of those videos.

Didn't you get the memo? Plastic space mans are the height of fashion now. Neckbeards have to start wearing smart casual with fedoras so they don't look out-of-place with the supermodels and celebrities when they come into the store to buy their new Orks.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

I am a theater performer

How do you afford this hobby? One of my sisters has worked as a stage manager for years in New York and she doesn't make much. :smith:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

hmm yes perhaps an even application of liquid greenstuff coated with cadian fleshtone will hide this pox mark

Just be sure to seal it with dullcote afterwards

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Tadhg posted:

I'm incredibly thankful that cargo pants/shorts have replaced sweatpants as the foundation garment of gamers these days. I quit a game once because an older fatbeard was clearly "excited" for some reason, and sweatpants did gently caress-all to conceal that fact. Hasn't been a problem with the newer cargo people.

Jesus loving christ

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Safety Factor posted:

How do you afford this hobby? One of my sisters has worked as a stage manager for years in New York and she doesn't make much. :smith:

Don't work in New York. It does not matter what your job is.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

I live in Chicago. So it's cheaper, plus I have like real job. Also I don't have a poo poo ton of models, I have like Dark Vengeance, then some Necrons I've been buying on Ebay and now I have some Pink Horrors and some other daemon dudes. At most I have like 3k, and that's everything which I can now play with because of Come the Apocalypse allying.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Don't work in New York. It does not matter what your job is.

This.

Anyone else see that GW reversed the whole Heldrake has 360 degree thing back to having Hull Mounted. Lotta tears over that one. Also I like that they gave Orks a FAQ even though their book is out in a few weeks. Sisters got nothing though .

Oh and Space Wolves apparently lost all of their Psychic Powers.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 28, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Anyone else see that GW reversed the whole Heldrake has 360 degree thing back to having Hull Mounted. Lotta tears over that one. Also I like that they gave Orks a FAQ even though their book is out in a few weeks. Sisters got nothing though .

Not just Wolves, but everyone who had psychic powers that aren't in 'lolrandom chart' format.
Heldrakes getting nerfed takes the sting out of Crones being useless now. It'd suck if the Heldrake got to heel it's 360-degree torrent flamer when Crones only have a normal template. Suck it CSM, mine can still fire backwards! :dance:

I'm a little confused as to why anyone would bother using Sanctuary on GK vehicles, the 6+ invuln isn't really that good unless you roll forewarning with one of your other psykers and cast that on the vehicle too. 3++ Land Raiders and Stormravens, here I come :circlefap:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Greyknights kind of got a bit of a buff honestly with being able to take Biomancy, I don't think they previously could. All their units are Psykers so they'll always get a good amount of Warp Charge.

The biggest thing I see is that they have access to Telepathy.

Also, I don't think people realize that Grey Knights have more Psychic Warp Charge than they think.

If you combat squad a Grey Knight unit, for game purposes their treated completely seperate so you'd get 2 Warp Charge.

For some reason they put really weird wording in the Grey Knight Combat Squading. It makes it sound like it takes up another FOC chart the way they wrote it.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
Does the Hemlock Wraith Fighter get Psychic Shriek? It has one power from Telepathy. I think it does get the Psychic Focus as well, but I'm not sure if that is a bonus or overrides "this unit has just this power." If so, that's an alright buff to that thing.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Hollismason posted:

Dude, already been posted today. Like, a page or two before the last time you did this.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Von Humboldt posted:

Does the Hemlock Wraith Fighter get Psychic Shriek? It has one power from Telepathy. I think it does get the Psychic Focus as well, but I'm not sure if that is a bonus or overrides "this unit has just this power." If so, that's an alright buff to that thing.

Might just make it worth taking actually.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
So, just got done playing 3k Space Marines versus 1500 Orks & 1500 Tyranids in a 2 on 1.

The objective cards completely break the game. Every card they drew was giving them victory points for poo poo in their deployment zone, which I was never going to get to, and all of my cards were in their deployment zone as well.

Despite the fact that my Terminators, Honor Guard and Chapter Master handily kept the hordes at bay, with Warlordx2, First Blood, and 3 Objectives, I still lost by a whopping 18-4 because of the cards... :stare:

I don't want to get all butthurt on the internet over losing a game, because I don't mind losing, but the game had enough randomness with alpha strikes and, y'know, rolling dice every turn... The cards just essentially randomly assign a winner based on the luck of deployment.

edit: I conceded on turn 3.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

So, just got done playing 3k Space Marines versus 1500 Orks & 1500 Tyranids in a 2 on 1.

The objective cards completely break the game. Every card they drew was giving them victory points for poo poo in their deployment zone, which I was never going to get to, and all of my cards were in their deployment zone as well.

Despite the fact that my Terminators, Honor Guard and Chapter Master handily kept the hordes at bay, with Warlordx2, First Blood, and 3 Objectives, I still lost by a whopping 18-4 because of the cards... :stare:

I don't want to get all butthurt on the internet over losing a game, because I don't mind losing, but the game had enough randomness with alpha strikes and, y'know, rolling dice every turn... The cards just essentially randomly assign a winner based on the luck of deployment.

Yes but was the game thematic, and was the combat cinematic? Because that is all that really matters, right?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Von Humboldt posted:

Hemlock Fighter can summon Daemons...

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I think that the objective cards are a great idea in principle but I have zero problem believing that this is the sort of outcome that can result because, y'know, GW. I would love to have some better (amateur) game designers take a stab at making some homebrew cards and/or modifications to the card usage rules.

e: maybe while they're at it they can come up with some objective categories that aren't a hair away from being perfect synonyms for each other

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

JerryLee posted:

I think that the objective cards are a great idea in principle but I have zero problem believing that this is the sort of outcome that can result because, y'know, GW. I would love to have some better (amateur) game designers take a stab at making some homebrew cards and/or modifications to the card usage rules.

e: maybe while they're at it they can come up with some objective categories that aren't a hair away from being perfect synonyms for each other

It might be a cool variant to pick 10 (or so) cards along with your army, and those become your tactical objective deck. You don't always have the same objectives in your hand, but you can weigh them towards to good ones, and the ones your army is good at nailing.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question time: where can bastions be deployed? Valedor tyranid terrain apoc only?

LordAba fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 28, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Greyknights kind of got a bit of a buff honestly with being able to take Biomancy, I don't think they previously could. All their units are Psykers so they'll always get a good amount of Warp Charge.

They couldn't before, and they can't now. It's Sanctic, Divination, Pyro and the two Tele charts. Telekinesis is nice, but I don't think I'll use anything other than Divination/Sanctic personally.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Oh I thought that little card thing said they got it, they get Telepathy that's a pretty good discipline now, being able to give Shrouded to your dudes around you and such.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Boon posted:

Might just make it worth taking actually.
Yeah, you can roll up and Shriek, then pummel them with the Heavy D-Scythes. Pretty decent at pummeling troops with solid armor. I like the idea of this thing buzzing in and making a Riptide poo poo itself and then murdering Broadsides with Distort. (Actual use - Riptide takes a wound after Invulns, Broadsides are in cover and you don't roll sixes anyways.) That is, of course, if they qualify for it.

Hollismason posted:

Hemlock Fighter can summon Daemons...
How? They have one set power. Are they allowed to explicitly trade that in for a roll on an Eldar-allowed table? Am I missing something under the Psyker rules?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Tadhg posted:

I now have a title for my tuxedos, scotch, and cigars warhams event that I'll continue dreaming about and never actually run. :allears:

I really, really want to do this as well. Black tie, all painted armies. Bourbon and Cuban cigars.

Also, I must not have been paying attention because I've ALWAYS played my heldrake by shooting the flamer in a 90 degree arc from the front. The slight nerf to vector strike I don't really care much about.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Tadhg posted:

I now have a title for my tuxedos, scotch, and cigars warhams event that I'll continue dreaming about and never actually run. :allears:

It's now my goal in the next year to manage to get a game in with a fully painted army with a digital media batrep, be it video or photo. I can't swing a tux but I own a really nice suit, have a stash of cuban cigars and a scotch cabinet worth more than many nerd's armies.

e: ^^^ :hellyeah: :hfive: classy nerd friend

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Sounds like you shouldn't have been "holding them at bay" and should have been in their base killin their dudez!

I agree it can swing against you and that's part of the deal. However, just dont play the maelstrom missions if you don't like it. *shrug* I have had fun with them so far.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Ghost Hand posted:

Sounds like you shouldn't have been "holding them at bay" and should have been in their base killin their dudez!

I agree it can swing against you and that's part of the deal. However, just dont play the maelstrom missions if you don't like it. *shrug* I have had fun with them so far.

Is it just me or did jump infantry just get a lot more desirable because of this go-fish bullshit?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I like random objectives and the idea behind mission cards. I bet there's some nice middle ground you can house rule to play for beerhammer.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

I like random objectives and the idea behind mission cards. I bet there's some nice middle ground you can house rule to play for beerhammer.

The idea someone mentioned earlier about choosing a handful of maybe 10-15 cards that fit with your playstyle could help it out, otherwise you're just as likely to get the 'take the enemy objective' against a Tau gunline as they are to get the 'successfully cast a psychic power' one.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
The old Grey Knight Hammerhand power explicitly could be stacked, can the new +2 Str Sanctic Hammerhand stack as well? Nemesis Halberds being S8 AP3 hitting at Init 6 sounds hilarious.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I'm trying to think of how the intended aim of having the cards forge an awesome narrative could be helped out, because my immediate reaction to Ghost Hand's comment is, well, why WOULD the space marines in an awesome defensive position break out of it to go die like idiots, and why would they be penalized for not doing so? Yeah, if we get all realist, no-win scenarios happen all the time, but the goal should be to minimize feelbads.

If I think of it like I'm writing a 40K novel, which I assume is the sort of vibe they were going for, then there are reasons why that might happen--maybe you find out the enemy is transporting a special relic, or an imperial flyer goes down and you have to recover the classified data, etc. The thing is that you know if the heroes are going out to do that, they have an above-average chance of succeeding.

If there were some way that the cards could give you a rad bonus to doing the thing, that would be interesting. Something to reflect the sudden swell of heroic plot armor that you get. For objective-based mission cards, maybe a toughness bonus, save bonus, or something else given to any of your units that runs in the direction of the objective until you capture it or the mission is otherwise no longer in effect.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Tequila Ranger posted:

The old Grey Knight Hammerhand power explicitly could be stacked, can the new +2 Str Sanctic Hammerhand stack as well? Nemesis Halberds being S8 AP3 hitting at Init 6 sounds hilarious.

Not too sure, I do have fond memories of punching a Skullhamma to bits in a single assault phase in an apoc game by buffing my Paladins up to Str9+2d6 thanks to a Librarian, BHC and Brother Captain.

I'll be playing a 2500pt game in a few weeks against an Iron Hands player who loves throwing Imperial Knights on the table, and is likely to run a biker deathstar. What sort of stuff should I include in a GK list to deal with his stuff? A friend suggested that I should try for Invisibility to make his deathstar almost useless, which could be hilarious and rage-inducing for him, but I was tempted by the idea of 3++ Land Raiders.

If he does put those Knights on the field, I will use my Thunderhawk, so he can finally get a taste of what it's like to play against something he practically can't touch. The dude hasn't lost a single game since getting those Knights so it's about time to give him a taste of his own medicine, and with luck he'll use them less after he realises how much of a dick move it is to put stuff like that on the table every game. Fight fire with fire :smug:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Dropzone Commander uses something similar in the form of tactics/command cards. Your HQ basically has several 1 time use abilities you can activate during a turn. Better HQs have more abilities they can purchase or use more of them etc.

Game design is entirely outside the realm of GW's incapable staff, however.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

This is why the Tactics Warlord list exists. Didn't build a flexible enough army to grab Objectives on their side of the board? Make your Objectives worth more or discard more of them or get more of them!

Alternatively, just play to table 'em!1

1 = This will be how most broken Unbound armies will play most of the time.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Seriously is there some sort of way we could compile a long list of grievances, broken rules and issues over say the last two or three years and just write some sort of open letter to GW? I could go up to loving Nottingham myself and hand deliver the drat thing.

Warhammer 40k fb group - 'if your army got a nerf, just learn to play it in a new way you might remember why you started to play it!'

Yes as most people started Tyranids to get their poo poo kicked in every game

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Deathstar-ish slow grindly Space Marine lists are bad at capturing objectives, news at 11. I'm not sure how that means that Tactical Objectives are broken, perhaps your bad lists need to be changed to reflect the new game instead? How about you actually try things out and see what the gently caress is actually going on before you guys start claiming things need to be house ruled? Sorry that you wanted to beat up some Orks and poo poo and the actual "winning the game" part got in the way of your fun. Space Marines have access to a variety of fast scoring units (even Objective Secured units!) Outflankers, and deep striking Drop Pods. Your list was bad.

e: Also Jesus Christ you loving clowns, read the loving rules before you have multiple page arguments about poo poo. Psykers that come with specific powers instead of generating randomly on the table don't ever get any other powers, they don't get the Primaris, they can't loving summon Daemons, SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT IT

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 28, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Lord Twisted posted:

Seriously is there some sort of way we could compile a long list of grievances, broken rules and issues over say the last two or three years and just write some sort of open letter to GW? I could go up to loving Nottingham myself and hand deliver the drat thing.

Warhammer 40k fb group - 'if your army got a nerf, just learn to play it in a new way you might remember why you started to play it!'

Yes I'm sure the problem with GW is that they are blissfully unaware of what people's grievances with them are :rolleye:

I mean I can see where it might feel good and I'd put my name on such a letter just for shits but I'm not sure what you're planning to accomplish.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
So Ahriman can cast a witchfire three times per turn now, which is actually pretty awesome. He's still expensive and kinda fragile and a bit of a derp, but he at least gets a decent warlord trait and he's one of the highest-level psykers in the game. Thanks to Chaos Psychic Focus, he actually ends up with five powers, which means (given perfect rolls and enough warp charge backing him up) you can spam out a hilarious fifteen witchfires in a single turn with him. pew pew pew!

serious gaylord posted:

That never stops being funny though. Its what power gamers deserve.

And FAAC chumps deserve to get their poo poo kicked in time after time by competent players who actually know the rules of the game.

Ratflinger posted:

Someone looked at the Catacomb Command Barge and decided "Man, gently caress that thing". Which makes me a bit sad. Ghost arks also took somewhat of a beating, but they are still okay. Can not help feeling the roboman codex got a little less fun though with some units toned down and psychic stuff being flung about. Even if comp rules will keep it very much workable.

Necrons are still really great and I have no idea why you think the Command Barge isn't amazing. AV13, hit on Weapon Skill, gets to make Sweep Attacks AND shoot AND assault? Can soak Melta/Lascannon hits on the Overlord with a 4+ cover save? That thing is a beast.

BULBASAUR posted:

Are we feeling that psychics are the next big thing? Do take all comer lists now require somebody to 'debuff' and counter enemy spells?

Psykers are going to be a big deal in the new edition. If you don't have many psykers of your own you're largely consigned to watching the other guy cast spells, but that was basically the way it worked before, too- the only difference now is that a strong psyker army has a chance of slowing such a strategy down. I think you're going to want to go heavy on psykers or not at all; running a single Inquusitor/Primaris/Librarian to cast some buffs on your guys is gonna be a rather dicey proposition these days.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

If your opponent is not spamming summoning, what exactly are psykers doing that you really give a poo poo about?

Casting Invisbility or other buffs on stuff. Hitting you with strong witchfires like Psychic Shriek. loving up any psychic powers you try to cast. Summoning is one strategy, but hardly the only one.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Right now I'm more interested in hearing how the random objective cards pan out. So far I've heard nothing in between either praise for how fun they are or total slams for how they replace player actions with a deck of cards as the determiner of victory. They are going to be the real test of seventh edition, I think.

My impression so far is that the missions for Maelstrom of War are pretty good in that they provide a variety of ways to get cards in differing numbers and seem reasonably well-balanced. The cards themselves are mostly fine, although the ones that rely on destroying a specific type of unit (psyker, building, flyer) are obnoxious and probably shouldn't be in there.

The problem with them is essentially the "death spiral" that a lot of games can struggle with. When you score a card, you get rid of it and will replace it with a new card, which opens up more options for scoring additional points. This means that the player who is winning (i.e. completing the most cards) gets MORE cards and more options while the player who is behind is largely stuck with the (presumably uncompleteable) cards they have. You can discard a single card per turn, but this just isn't fast enough to keep up with the other guy a lot of the time and it's just too easy to get stuck with things that you can't or won't complete and quickly fall behind. Maelstrom missions need a better "comeback" mechanic to either slow down the winning player or give the guy on the bottom an advantage; I'm not entirely sure what would work best at this point, but for the system to really work I think it's probably needed, otherwise too many games will turn into a cascading blowout.

The ability to pitch any number of cards at the end of your turn might help, or having completed cards not automatically leave your "pool," or something else along those lines might be good enough. All in all the Maelstrom stuff is hardly unplayable, but with most of the problems with the standard missions fixed, there's not a really strong incentive to actually use them.

Tequila Ranger posted:

Blessings do not stack in the new edition, nor does Hammerhand have any text to allow it to do so. You're stuck with "only" S6. (I am really sad to see Might of Titans go, though- I loved that spell. gently caress you, Dreadnought, my squad of Purifiers is gonna wreck your poo poo!)

Phyresis posted:

e: Also Jesus Christ you loving clowns, read the loving rules before you have multiple page arguments about poo poo. Psykers that come with specific powers instead of generating randomly on the table don't ever get any other powers, they don't get the Primaris, they can't loving summon Daemons, SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT IT

While I sorta agree with you here, the Hemlock specifically has access to Daemonology, which is why it's confusing.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

AbusePuppy posted:

Psykers are going to be a big deal in the new edition. If you don't have many psykers of your own you're largely consigned to watching the other guy cast spells, but that was basically the way it worked before, too- the only difference now is that a strong psyker army has a chance of slowing such a strategy down. I think you're going to want to go heavy on psykers or not at all; running a single Inquusitor/Primaris/Librarian to cast some buffs on you.

Good call. I'm feeling a bit better about it, since every army gets D6 chances at stopping an enemy space wizard doing something. That's basically a free shot at negating some of your opponent's dice rolling once or twice a game.

Lord Twisted posted:

I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but GW is a poo poo company and no amount of letter writing will stop it from being a poo poo company. You gotta love 40k despite the company, otherwise you should play a better game that keeps your blood pressure low.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 28, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Dropzone Commander uses something similar in the form of tactics/command cards. Your HQ basically has several 1 time use abilities you can activate during a turn. Better HQs have more abilities they can purchase or use more of them etc.

Game design is entirely outside the realm of GW's incapable staff, however.

So similar to Deadzone? I like the idea of having a small deck of cards that give you a pair of bonuses that you can choose to use wherever you need, it's a pretty cool game mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Right now I'm more interested in hearing how the random objective cards pan out. So far I've heard nothing in between either praise for how fun they are or total slams for how they replace player actions with a deck of cards as the determiner of victory. They are going to be the real test of seventh edition, I think.

I played a game with the cards tonight, and it was pretty good for most of it, but one or two of the cards were a little over the top. There's one that gets you D3 kill points for killing their warlord, on top of the point you already get, and then still gives you the points even if you killed him in some earlier turn. That's a bit too random. Another one gave D3+3 points for dominating all 6 objectives (easier now that everything is scoring) which is right and fine because it's really hard to do, but it's also a bit of insult to injury because if you're down to the point where the other guy can cover all 6, you're probably hosed anyhow. It took what was already a win (not for me) and made it a less fun win.

Also, the change to fortifications giving them hull points is pretty huge. It means that a couple of squads of lascannon HWTs or, say, a squad of meganobz can wipe out the Strongpoint in a single round. Which is fine, but it also sets off the vortex missiles inside, which is also hilarious and fine, but not everyone will feel that way when their 550 point building goes up.

I did have a commissar shoot down a Dakkajet with a bolt pistol though, so I really won the game in the end.

Fix fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 28, 2014

• Locked thread