Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Name some G1 toys that have shoulders, elbows, hips, and knees that are actually useful and we'll talk. Ratchets are useless if they don't aid posability.

Also this - Hun-Grr as mentioned before, Snapdragon, Scattershot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So AoE toys are out in the UK. To a toy, they are all the quick change one flip ones. Oh well, I didn't want to look at good toys anyway.

In other news, I picked up Skrapnel. He is now doing double duty as Bob for Sunstreaker. :3:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm just going to be disappointed that if by year's end we still do not have a Generations Huffer yet a billion ugly gray primes and mispainted abominations.

Huffer is the last 1984 guy to need a classicsverse dude. I would take an orange Swerve at this point just so there could be a Huffer.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm just going to be disappointed that if by year's end we still do not have a Generations Huffer yet a billion ugly gray primes and mispainted abominations.

Huffer is the last 1984 guy to need a classicsverse dude. I would take an orange Swerve at this point just so there could be a Huffer.

What's wrong with the Botcon one again?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Why cookie Rocket posted:

What's wrong with the Botcon one again?

It's a Botcon exclusive and therefore not "real", in the sense that it's unreasonably expensive and rare.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

DoctorWhat posted:

It's a Botcon exclusive and therefore not "real", in the sense that it's unreasonably expensive and rare.

This, also it doesn't go with any of the upgraded minibot molds. Like Cosmos, Bumblebee, and Swerve all can do poo poo the Cybertron scouts can't.

The other guys are either Ultras or Deluxes and in many cases entirely unique molds for that specific line. I've got the PCC Huffer and there's the Cyberverse Prime Huffer. But when we're getting a brand new Brawn and Outback for Legends as well as guys like Gnaw and Skrapnel, it really begs the question of why not huffer?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

I realize that we have our own budgets but on the TF price scale $60 for such a niche character is kind of a bargain. I mean considering what you'd have to pay for a halfway decent version of much more popular characters (Galvatron, Ratchet).

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I realize that we have our own budgets but on the TF price scale $60 for such a niche character is kind of a bargain. I mean considering what you'd have to pay for a halfway decent version of much more popular characters (Galvatron, Ratchet).

Look, as far as I'm concerned BotCon toys are just sanctioned customs - hell, some BotCon toys are LITERALLY sanctioned customs. They're not worth considering as part of any actual toylines and I'd rather they not try to be.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

DoctorWhat posted:

Look, as far as I'm concerned BotCon toys are just sanctioned customs - hell, some BotCon toys are LITERALLY sanctioned customs. They're not worth considering as part of any actual toylines and I'd rather they not try to be.

Pretty much this.

I mean are you satisfied with the Botcon Scorpinok who is just a measly retooled Ultra figure and stands(literally) in the shadow of the G1 figure. I'd rather have a Titan class duder for him that towers over lesser incarnations.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

The_Doctor posted:

So AoE toys are out in the UK. To a toy, they are all the quick change one flip ones. Oh well, I didn't want to look at good toys anyway.

In other news, I picked up Skrapnel. He is now doing double duty as Bob for Sunstreaker. :3:

In the UK the generations figures are apparently store exclusives, Argos iirc

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

This, also it doesn't go with any of the upgraded minibot molds. Like Cosmos, Bumblebee, and Swerve all can do poo poo the Cybertron scouts can't.

What can they do that Armorhide can't?

DoctorWhat posted:

If you can't afford them, that's fine. If you're annoyed because they should be more widely available, I get that. But a lot of them are fantastic recolors/retools, and it seems weird to try to pretend they are somehow inherently flawed because they're Botcon exclusives.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

What can they do that Armorhide can't?

If you can't afford them, that's fine. If you're annoyed because they should be more widely available, I get that. But a lot of them are fantastic recolors/retools, and it seems weird to try to pretend they are somehow inherently flawed because they're Botcon exclusives.

The second thing. I don't see the drat point of them. They infuriate me just by existing. Maybe that's weird dumb baby garbage but it's hard enough getting ahold of retail figures in the current climate, much less convention exclusives.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I understand that frustration. On the other hand, Botcon Octopunch is so goddam awesome. You're taking a lot of "throw the baby out with the bathwater" stances lately, DoctorWhat. Open up, this is a safe place, what's really bothering you?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Gammatron 64 posted:

I was a dumbass and broke one of the spines off mine the instantly I took him out of the package. :(

Thank god I wasn't the only one who broke one of those things off.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I understand that frustration. On the other hand, Botcon Octopunch is so goddam awesome. You're taking a lot of "throw the baby out with the bathwater" stances lately, DoctorWhat. Open up, this is a safe place, what's really bothering you?

I just said what's really bothering me:

THERE ARE TOYS COMING OUT AT RETAIL THAT I CAN'T FIND AND IT MAKES ME ANGRY! AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHH! I'm a nervous wreck because TRU Times Square is never gonna have MP Grimlock, or if it does they'll get cleaned out while I'm in Britain and I don't have a chance to get it or something, and I'M FURIOUS ABOUT IT!!!

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I'm really anxious about MP Grimlock, especially since TRU has already raised his price $20 since he came out :(

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

DoctorWhat posted:

THERE ARE TOYS COMING OUT AT RETAIL THAT I CAN'T FIND AND IT MAKES ME ANGRY! AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHH! I'm a nervous wreck because TRU Times Square is never gonna have MP Grimlock, or if it does they'll get cleaned out while I'm in Britain and I don't have a chance to get it or something, and I'M FURIOUS ABOUT IT!!!

Let us all agree to clean out the motherfuckin' TRU exclusive Masterpiece Grimlocks if spotted online or in retail.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

strangehamster posted:

Let us all agree to clean out the motherfuckin' TRU exclusive Masterpiece Grimlocks if spotted online or in retail.

That just makes it someone else's problem! :negative:

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

DoctorWhat posted:

That just makes it someone else's problem! :negative:

If it makes you feel any better you can have unlimited access to year of the horsey platinum starscream.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

DoctorWhat posted:

I don't like any of the G1 molds because they're ugly, unposable, simplistic 30 year old piles of plastic and metal, what does that make me?

It makes you me. Pretty much all the G1 toys I like are the ones that were not designed by Takara (I'm lumping Predaking in there because of the lawsuit and all).

The Taint Reaper posted:

Why do they keep putting classics molds with movie guys? They're making me buy movie guys to get the classics molds. This is a heinous crime.

And if Hasbro repaints the most expensive Grimlock into T-Wrecks, I won't know what to do. I can feel it, they've re-used every single stupid dinobot name ever already. The last one that has not been used is T-Wrecks.

And you have to buy the guy named T-Wrecks, it's like a rule.
The only solution is to kill yourself.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm with you Brother, except replace Grimlock with Generations Cosmos and Kre-o Menasor and Computron.

Also to whomever wanted to know about super articulated G1 figures: Jetfire (with elbow, neck, shoulders, hips, knees and wings; and totally counts :colbert: ), the cassette bots, shockwave (sorta), and perceptor.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Anora posted:

Jetfire (with elbow, neck, shoulders, hips, knees and wings; and totally counts :colbert: )

Of course it counts, the Takatoku VF-1 was the gold standard for perfect transformation Valkyries for years, only finally having the crown snatched from it by the near-perfect Yamato 1/48 in 2003. And even then, one could make the argument that the "chunky munky" VF-1 was still a superior toy in terms of just play factor.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
The original Optimus Prime has pretty good articulation, too. Knees, legs (backward only), wrists (technically), elbow joint, elbow swivel, shoulder rotation, shoulder hinge back. Much better than his Powermaster successor.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I used my G1 Prime's leg articulation to make him do M. Bison's Scissor Kick. it was Prime's super special secret move :v:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I know it is a cheat, but G1 Jetfire had articulation in spades

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Garry Chalk was in the new Godzilla movie! Neat. I wonder if their filming in Vancouver had anything to do with that...

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

His name is Sludge and he can spin, and when he spins he spins like this:

What now, motherfucker?! :black101:

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
that horrified anime figure really makes that picture.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I like how I can grab the shittiest beast wars figure and have it pull off the best poses because of their ball joints. It's one of the reasons I like beasties first.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Got Tailgate and Skrapnel in the mail today, these guys have some deceptively complicated transformations. I thought Tailgate in particular was going to just go the "just tug on the limbs a bit until it turns into a robot" route like with Swerve, but the little guy is surprisingly fiddly.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

3 posted:

Got Tailgate and Skrapnel in the mail today, these guys have some deceptively complicated transformations. I thought Tailgate in particular was going to just go the "just tug on the limbs a bit until it turns into a robot" route like with Swerve, but the little guy is surprisingly fiddly.

It's a shame Tailgate's roof impedes him at both ends. Have it up, you can't turn his head or move his shoulders without it in the way. Have it down and it gets in the way of his legs. It should have folded in half behind him.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Ka0 posted:

I like how I can grab the shittiest beast wars figure and have it pull off the best poses because of their ball joints. It's one of the reasons I like beasties first.

I like how I can grab almost any G1 figure and it will actually have hands instead of a tailarm or a mouthfist or clamping insect legs or some bullshit.

None of the lines are flawless, but they all owe their existence to G1. Experience, lad, you should learn to appreciate it.

That said, the people who pay $1000 for stuff like Star Saber and Overlord are still nuts.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
MP Grimlock's up, 80 bucks
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=31372196

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Keldroc posted:

I like how I can grab almost any G1 figure and it will actually have hands instead of a tailarm or a mouthfist or clamping insect legs or some bullshit.

Beast Wars Neo is all shellformers.

Armada is playschool pokeformers.

DOTM toys are composed of 100% pure unpainted grey plastic.

TFP is all hollow limbs.

Energon is all transparent neon.

I don't know what has gotten into this thread but I'm hoping this post will help us burn through all the dumb stereotypes about each line of TFs so we can move on.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Wow, mine was 60. I suppose it makes sense to raise it, that fucker Acid Storm was still shelfwarming at 75.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 28, 2014

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Wow, mine was 60. I suppose it makes sense to raise it, that fucker Acid Storm was still shelfwarming at 75.

They did the same for MP Soundwave, didn't they? Raised it by $20 after a few days?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

TRU does it with anything that moves. They are scum.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

DOTM toys are composed of 100% pure unpainted grey plastic.
Unrelated but I wish I had archives so I could compare the reaction to DOTM toys to the reaction to AOE toys. I have this feeling everything about AOE is going to be better and then it is going to somehow do worse at the box office.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Spiderdrake posted:

Unrelated but I wish I had archives so I could compare the reaction to DOTM toys to the reaction to AOE toys. I have this feeling everything about AOE is going to be better and then it is going to somehow do worse at the box office.

This is my feelings as well. Like they finally made a good transformers movie and nobody saw it.

therealjon_ posted:

TRU does it with anything that moves. They are scum.

Ask me about paying 25 dollars MSRP for Generations Deluxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

They did the same for MP Soundwave, didn't they? Raised it by $20 after a few days?

I don't recall. I found my MP Soundwave at a Toysers for $120.