Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

VitalSigns posted:

Why would you do this. Isn't there a gun thread to tread over the actual arguments that come around and burn this and other threads to the ground every few months?

I'm not trying to derail, I'm not here to argue with anyone. I just want answers to my questions, I won't reply to anyone who provides them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

http://youtubedoubler.com/cx4s

e: uh this actually turned out pretty good :stare:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

This is surely bad for Texas but I have a hard time not celebrating any misfortune to befall dewhurst so I guess I'll take my joy at others' pain where I can get it.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MaxxBot posted:

I'm not trying to derail, I'm not here to argue with anyone. I just want answers to my questions, I won't reply to anyone who provides them.

And neither will anyone else, and also I can pull golden unicorns that poo poo rainbows straight out of my rear end in a top hat!

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Is it that inconceivable that I want to hear the argument of people that disagree with me? I understand that a gun control argument would derail this thread. That's why I simply want people to tell me their reasoning while I sit here and listen. I want to understand your position without ruining the thread by starting a gun control argument. I do not feel some obligation to defend my side of the argument, I just want clarity on what exactly you are supporting and what policies you want enacted.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

MaxxBot posted:

Is it that inconceivable that I want to hear the argument of people that disagree with me? I understand that a gun control argument would derail this thread. That's why I simply want people to tell me their reasoning while I sit here and listen. I want to understand your position without ruining the thread by starting a gun control argument. I do not feel some obligation to defend my side of the argument, I just want clarity on what exactly you are supporting and what policies you want enacted.

Massive mental health reformation, poverty legislation, and more spending on actual firearms research. Most gun bans I'm iffy on since we have zero data but I'd support an all around hand gun ban even though its so laughably unfeasible I might as well ask for a dissolution of the electoral college system replaced by a multiple runoff system for elections. All that said, I don't loving care anymore to have gun debates. The gun people have won, end of story. Its not going to improve unless we get a modern Black Panther type group of armed minorities.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

MaxxBot posted:

You realize there is a thread on the shooting? You basically just destroyed this thread. :sotw:

Hell, delete your post and start a gun control thread, it will be fun! You can simply post the OP and you will never have to argue anything else in the thread, because other people will do it for you. It doesn't matter if you post or not, everyone else on the goddamn planet is going to.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 28, 2014

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Shootings are actually really small localized events compared to the scale of the country, and I likewise don't support their dominance of barely related threads every time they happen.

Prosopagnosiac
May 19, 2007

One of us! One of us! Aqua Buddha! Aqua Buddha! One of us!

Doctor Butts posted:

It's in the NRA's best interest for this to keep occurring: how else can they convince exurbaners that they must be armed at all times?

This is literally true. After Sandy Hook, or drat near any other mass shooting from the past 15 years, gun and ammunition sales have spiked by some ridiculous percent.

This has caused ammo shortages nationwide, which leads to even further conspiracy theories from the people buying ammo en masse.

They live in constant fear that guns will be taken away, despite the fact that there have not been any nationwide gun laws enacted in over a decade, and no new ones in the pipes that have even the slightest prayer of passing. The thing is that while municipalities and states can try to ban guns, they'll meet resistance from the Supreme Court. Even if they were to pass them the guns will just be imported from red states with lax gun laws at a considerable markup by the smugglers.

The Tom Tomorrow cartoon remains as relevant as ever.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pohl posted:

You realize there is a thread on the shooting? You basically just destroyed this thread. :sotw:

No! We can still save it!

Uh, I want guns. Guns for everyone, everywhere all the time. I want the President sworn in on a 1911 pistol with a jubilant crowd firing wildly into the air. I want patriots to knock the teats out of babies' hands and wrap their tiny fingers around little derringers. I want trigger locks outlawed and mandatory loaded guns with super-light pulls on the floor of every nursery. I want the library to burn every book with a gun violence statistic to open up shelf space for a gun lending program. I want vaginal gun-dentatas to blow the dick off every rapist or even the unlucky dude with a forgetful paramour; it's the only way to equalize the sexes.

*Nervously eyes the still-darkened TFR signal*

Whew, I think we're safe.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Good Citizen posted:

This is surely bad for Texas but I have a hard time not celebrating any misfortune to befall dewhurst so I guess I'll take my joy at others' pain where I can get it.

I dunno man, seems like amputating a leg when a toe would have done. Woohoo the gangrene is gone I'll worry about the consequences tomorrow :confused:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

On the bright side, we'll finally get to see if accelerationism works.

*Checks skin color*
Whew, I'm not black or Mexican. I can handle this experiment.

Oh wait, poo poo, I'm into other dudes.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Maybe no one will be able to tell unless you're in some other dude at that exact moment.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Well, we can't judge people based on their actions and nobody can known what you think, so you should be ok.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That's right liberals, there's no need for you to discuss gun control. Let the pros handle it. :smugdog:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
Annette Bosworth wants everyone to know how awful the internet is.

I've googled her name and I'm having a difficult time verifying her claims. She also claims that these negative and misogynistic words have been written by liberals. So, anyone outside of the midwest and that is liberal is attacking her for simply being a woman.

This is what she had to say about foodstamps, she shared it on her facebook page:

quote:

“The food stamp program is administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture," the graphic reads. "They proudly report that they distribute free meals and food stamps to over 46 million people on an annual basis."

“Meanwhile, the National Park Service, run by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us ‘please do not feed the animals.’ Their stated reason for this policy being that … the animals will grow dependent on the handouts, and then they will never learn to take care of themselves,” the post continues. “This concludes today’s lesson. Any questions?”

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nah, we homosexuals can't hide our tells...like committing every spree shooting in history.

quote:

“Meanwhile, the National Park Service, run by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us ‘please do not feed the animals.’ Their stated reason for this policy being that … the animals will grow dependent on the handouts, and then they will never learn to take care of themselves,” the post continues. “This concludes today’s lesson. Any questions?”
:gop: Uh, yeah, I've got a few questions...

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

On the bright side, we'll finally get to see if accelerationism works.

*Checks skin color*
Whew, I'm not black or Mexican. I can handle this experiment.

Sacrifices have to be made, unfortunately. :smug:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

SedanChair posted:

That's right liberals, there's no need for you to discuss gun control. Let the pros handle it. :smugdog:

These guys are doing their part to bring guns to every corner of America. :fsmug:
God knows, these are the people I want representing me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtUOopHPlMc

There is another video where they go to Sonic. It clearly shows one of the guns pointing directly at a child, and one of the men complains that he feels like a child, almost like his mother was telling him what he could and couldn't do.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 28, 2014

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pohl posted:

Annette Bosworth wants everyone to know how awful the internet is.

I've googled her name and I'm having a difficult time verifying her claims. She also claims that these negative and misogynistic words have been written by liberals. So, anyone outside of the midwest and that is liberal is attacking her for simply being a woman.

This is what she had to say about foodstamps, she shared it on her facebook page:

Oh look a Chuck Asay cartoon has gained the gifts of life and speech.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

My God, they bitched and whined about one woman calling them dumbasses for the entire video, what tough guys. No persecution complex there.

But anyway, that video was so offensive. Did you see how many young children were in the area and yet all those adults eating at the restaurant went unarmed, unable to lay down a hail of covering fire to protect their young ones (stay down, Johnny!)? To say nothing of the babies' bassinet that didn't even contain a single pistol. Teaching that kid from day one to rely on others for defense rather than relying on himself to protect his bottle and pacifier.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Pohl posted:

These guys are doing their part to bring guns to every corner of America. :fsmug:
God knows, these are the people I want representing me.

There is another video where they go to Sonic. It clearly shows one of the guns pointing directly at a child, and one of the men complains that he feels like a child, almost like his mother was telling him what he could and couldn't do.

God, it burns. You know how to get me.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Gunchat doesn't kill threads, shitposters kill threads.

(gently caress off with gun chat)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Turnout in the Texas Dem primary was 1.4% and only 4.5% in the GOP primary. Great job, Texans!

Also, Ralph Hall, the 91 year old who spent all his campaign money on ham and chocolate, lost to a Tea Party challenger. :smith:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Tea Party has been utterly smashed into dust in every state, but Texas, and now they command the most influential and powerful office in the state. Amazing.

Of the 80K+ registered voters in town, only 700 voted. :thumbsup:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Too be fair it sounds like 3% of the electorate is determining who the most powerful person in the state is.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
And here I thought PA's 10% and 19.5% turnout (R and D, respectively) for its primary last week was bad.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Joementum posted:

Also, Ralph Hall, the 91 year old who spent all his campaign money on ham and chocolate, lost to a Tea Party challenger. :smith:

there is no justice in this cruel world

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
As a real life Texas Republican who was even one of the 12 people who voted, I wish we'd stop electing such lovely, crazy unqualified candidates. One of these days one of these guys is gonna lose the general election.

At least the right guy got the Railroad Commissioner nomination though.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Pohl posted:

“The food stamp program is administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture," the graphic reads. "They proudly report that they distribute free meals and food stamps to over 46 million people on an annual basis."

Well, that's one of the stated reasons. Another is that those animals then become used to human contact so they are unafraid to wander into cities where they will cause confrontations and risk injuring people who startle them when they are, for example, foraging in a dumpster next to your apartment. A consequence of not assisting these animals is that a non-zero number of them die each year to starvation.

It's a good comparison for assisting poor people if you believe we should let some of them starve to avoid the risk of them hurting us.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Oh look a Chuck Asay cartoon has gained the gifts of life and speech.

Bears are dicks. :colbert:

e: Whoa wait a second, why is this on her Facebook?

:psyduck: A Conservative quoting FDR positively?

e2: Wow that page is a treasure trove of terrible things,

quote:

Our Veterans Deserve Better. No one on active duty should ever "NEED" food stamps.

:airquote: NEED :airquote:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 28, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Frackie Robinson posted:

As a real life Texas Republican who was even one of the 12 people who voted, I wish we'd stop electing such lovely, crazy unqualified candidates. One of these days one of these guys is gonna lose the general election.

Uh, so does this maybe mean that Dan Patrick is too crazy for you, and you'll be voting Van de Putte in the general? :iamafag:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Uh, so does this maybe mean that Dan Patrick is too crazy for you, and you'll be voting Van de Putte in the general? :iamafag:

Might just leave Lt. Gov blank this time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lost in all this is that three of the most moderate Texas State Senators are gone. One got primaried from the right last night, and two more left to take positions with universities. They are going to be replaced by Tea Party nutjobs. The legislative agenda next year is going to be loving nuts.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

zoux posted:

Lost in all this is that three of the most moderate Texas State Senators are gone. One got primaried from the right last night, and two more left to take positions with universities. They are going to be replaced by Tea Party nutjobs. The legislative agenda next year is going to be loving nuts.

Um, did you not know how loving nutty your state has got? We've all been watching it slide. It's funny that the better things get in Texas economically, the worse they seem to get politically. So a bright promising future of invading Cuba.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I noticed thanks.

I think you will be surprised at how much more nutty it can get. We're talking full on school voucher programs, open carry on college campuses, 2 week abortion bans, etc.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Let's increase spending on abstinence only sex education and pay for it by taxing birth control.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

At least the LaRouche Democratic Senate candidate lost to the establishment Democratic Senate candidate for the honor of getting crushed by John Cornyn in the general :unsmith:

Oh and this was inevitable:

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 28, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Frackie Robinson posted:

Might just leave Lt. Gov blank this time.

I'm not trying to get into a whole thing here arguing about your politics but...

I have to ask: if you think Dan Patrick is not the right candidate for the job, why wouldn't you vote for the unambiguously better candidate?

Even just for tactical reasons, since in your post you appeared to be hoping he would lose the general and jolt the Republicans into nominating less openly racist theocrat types?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

zoux posted:

When people talk demographics they focus on the broad national picture that, with a certain set of assumptions, favors democrats. Diving in to the data though it is different on a state or district level. there is a strong self selective sorting going on that is making democratic areas more democratic and republican areas more republican. And what's more, the GOP areas are becoming more strongly republican at a faster rate than the democratic areas are becoming more democratic

So things like this, where red states go further off the deep end, is pretty much the natural end sate of the demographic trends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Also, Maya Angelou died

• Locked thread