Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Zorak posted:

Temujin starts his life as the son of a low-class hunter in a steppes consumed by tribal warfare, loses his extended family and is made an outlaw, and ultimately sold into slavery. By force of will and a revolutionary view of transforming and ending the Steppe's endless cycle of tribal strife, he defeats and consumes all the various tribes of the Steppes, transforming what was a multiple loose tribal associations of hunters raiding each other into a unified state based on meritocracy with then-strange things like religious freedom, a non-repressive multi-cultural society, a unique martial code, and what amounted to an executive royalty that actually was beholden to law. There's a reason why there's a joke that the Mongolians are the exception to basically everything about ancient civilizations; they never even bothered to adopt large scale agriculture beyond free-range herding.

Would the rules work with this? "If Genghis Khan would deal lethal damage to a creature, you may gain control of that creature instead."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Would the rules work with this? "If Genghis Khan would deal lethal damage to a creature, you may gain control of that creature instead."
I believe the templating would be "If a creature dealt damage by Genghis Khan this turn would die, you may gain control of it instead," but yeah, you could do that within the rules of the game.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

revengeanceful posted:

I believe the templating would be "If a creature dealt damage by Genghis Khan this turn would die, you may gain control of it instead," but yeah, you could do that within the rules of the game.

This needs a "and remove all damage from it" clause or it would cause an infinite loop.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

revengeanceful posted:

Presuming that the wording would be more inclusive "if a creature you don't control...", it wouldn't work. Because it would die again after you got it under your control.

"If a creature you don't control dealt damage by Genghis Khan this turn would die, you may exile it then return it into play under your control instead" seems like it would fix some issues.

VV: That actually really works better I think.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 27, 2014

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Isn't the standard template something like "When a creature dealt damage by ~ this turn dies, return that creature from the graveyard to the battlefield under your control."

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
"If a creature dealt damage by Ghenghis Khan this turn would die, you may regenerate it and take control of it instead."

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Serperoth posted:

Presuming that the wording would be more inclusive "if a creature you don't control...", it wouldn't work. Because it would die again after you got it under your control.

"If a creature you don't control dealt damage by Genghis Khan this turn would die, you may exile it then return it into play under your control instead" seems like it would fix some issues.

Now give it reach, and a tap ability to deal 2, damage to target creature.

:getin:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
If they made a not-Genghis with an ability like that, they could just model it after Charisma, which would both be a much simpler template and a Time Spiral-esque wink at an older card.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago
But come on, we've already got not at all confusing printed text for this:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Again, I kind of don't want to see a Genghis Khan card because I don't think it could really live up to the man himself. For good or not, he was an extraordinary person.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Elyv posted:

Again, I kind of don't want to see a Genghis Khan card because I don't think it could really live up to the man himself. For good or not, he was an extraordinary person.

Yeah, pretty hard to beat that out.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I don't think there will be a direct Genghis analog, or at least not one that's explicit and obvious. The new block is bottom-up, so while it might borrow a lot of Mongolian trappings, the main goal is not to emulate Earth cultures in the same way that Innistrad and Theros did.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

homerlaw posted:

Isn't the standard template something like "When a creature dealt damage by ~ this turn dies, return that creature from the graveyard to the battlefield under your control."

Right, but Genghis didn't reanimate undead armies, he would present his enemies with the ultimatum "join me or fight me."

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Right, but Genghis didn't reanimate undead armies, he would present his enemies with the ultimatum "join me or fight me."

Sounds like a sort of a Desecration Demon effect.
"At the beginning of each combat, target opponent may choose a creature they control. If a player does, tap ~ and gain control of that creature."

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
Maybe with an option for the opponent to pay mana/life or tap other creatures to avoid it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

rabidsquid posted:

Decks running Thoughtseize are such a large portion of the field that it happens more than people who run Thoughtseize thinks it does, just by volume. You (the general you I have no idea what you play) might not be casting them that much but people really do not like discard and so they remember it, and when you consider what a huge portion of the field it is, you end up with this.

I run B/W Midrange, so I have a full set of them in play. Turn 1 Thoughtseize happens not super irregularly, but not nearly as often as some people like to think it does.

I think the effect of seeing a Swamp in the opening play is similar to the sensation old school players get when they see two untapped blue mana sources.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Congratulations! What kind of matchups did you win and lose with it? Were you running The Mimeoplasm or Underworld Cerberus kill? Any particularly funny stories to share?

The Mimeoplasm, with a sideboard 3rd Cabal Therapy. I like it in matchups where I wouldn't mind casting it with excess mana from the hand, and/or if you need 2 guesses at their hate card post library flip, such as against Mindbreak Trap, Flusterstorm, Misdirection, etc.

3 losses: Sneak & Show (didn't see deck game 1 due to Force and Pact loss, got Blightsteel Colossus'd game 2), Deathblade (missed 80% outer game 1, got Surgical Extraction'd game 2), and that :psyduck: Bant control deck(Savannah and Daze!) that had 11 sideboard cards for the matchup(!!) and killed me with Judge's Familiar(!?!!?!!)

A no-show and 6 wins against Merfolk, Shardless Food Chain, Burn, Death&Taxes, MonoR Sneak Attack, and Sneak & Show.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Angry Grimace posted:

I think the effect of seeing a Swamp in the opening play is similar to the sensation old school players get when they see two untapped blue mana sources.

Ha ha, so true. I also still ask my Standard opponents to this day who are playing if my spell resolves, even when they have no untapped mana, just from ancient Force of Will-related PTSD.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sarcastro posted:

Ha ha, so true. I also still ask my Standard opponents to this day who are playing if my spell resolves, even when they have no untapped mana, just from ancient Force of Will-related PTSD.

I do this but go "deedly-doot, deedly-doot" while waving my horizontally-held spell six inches above the table because I played too much DotP.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
Bug fixes in the new MTGO update this week. :allears:

quote:

General
Improved: Multiple performance enhancements were made to resolve lag issues with multiplayer games and games with large numbers of permanents.
MOCS: May 2014 (Season 6) Bayou promo will be granted to all players with 15 or more May QPs.
MOPR: May 2014 Event Participation Promo (Pain Seer) and Store Activity Promo (Tormented Hero) will granted.
Added: Serbia and Montenegro have been separated in the country list.
Added: UK: Balliwick of Jersey and UK: Balliwick of Guernsey have been added to the country list.
Update: France VAT has been updated to 20%.

Card Rules
Fixed: Godhunter Octopus can no longer attack when its controller has an enchantment but the defending player does not.
Fixed: Damage from Wildfire Cerberus’ monstrous ability is now properly prevented by damage prevention abilities such as Stonewise Fortifier.
Fixed: Athreos, God of Passage no longer triggers from creature cards that aren’t creatures when destroyed.
Fixed: Soldier tokens created by Launch the Fleet now use the proper artwork.
Fixed: Bassara Tower Archer has had the word “Removed” removed from its art box.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Chorocojo posted:

Whenever I see these updates I'm always baffled at how basic some of the rules bugs are, especially when they involve the most recent sets and cards that are much more structured and straightforward rules-wise than the quirky weird bullshit on old cards from before they knew what the hell they were doing. I mean, Godhunter Octopus is such a painfully basic templating that they've done numerous times before, and yet they still hosed it up in the rules engine on the first go?

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 28, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Whenever I see these updates I'm always baffled at how basic some of the rules bugs are, especially that they involve the most recent sets. I mean, Godhunter Octopus is such a painfully basic templating that they've done numerous times before, and yet they still hosed it up in the rules engine on the first go?

While that type of effect is common, the exact kind Godhunter Octopus uses is new, so it's a new effect from a coding perspective. I imagine it's something like that, anyway.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

While that type of effect is common, the exact kind Godhunter Octopus uses is new, so it's a new effect from a coding perspective. I imagine it's something like that, anyway.

Okay, bear with me for a second. It's kind of like the code we used for Floodtide Serpent, but instead of checking the controller...

Sounds good, move on to the next card.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Chorocojo posted:

Wait, they actually fix artwork for tokens? Then why haven't they addressed any of the token mismatch tickets I've sent in for like the past year? Argh!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Chorocojo posted:

Fixed: Bassara Tower Archer has had the word “Removed” removed from its art box.

I have got to know why that was there. I shrugged it off as a bug of using the beta client in a release event (it was the first time using MTGO in months). That "removed" graphic has got to be there for some kind of internal testing reason, right?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Zorak posted:

Wait, they actually fix artwork for tokens? Then why haven't they addressed any of the token mismatch tickets I've sent in for like the past year? Argh!

I'm pretty sure that one was fixed because it was making enchantment 1/1 soldiers instead of non-enchantment ones. Which can matter with Nyx Infusion and Feast of Dreams in the format.

I really wish lingering souls would make its proper tokens instead of Oyobi ones.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I just downloaded MODO for the first time, should I stick with the old client? I did the beta without realizing it but everyone always complains about it. I'm trying to do one of the new player phantom drafts just to get the hang of the client, and I just won both game 1 and game 2 of the first round, but it says my match is still in progress. Is that normal? It's up to 35 minutes and still says the other guys' game 2 is in progress is well. I'm just worried after reading the bad stories about crashes.

edit: nevermind, now it's going. That's dumb.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sarcastro posted:

Always be sure to say "storm count #" after every spell you play in standard too.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I just downloaded MODO for the first time, should I stick with the old client? I did the beta without realizing it but everyone always complains about it. I'm trying to do one of the new player phantom drafts just to get the hang of the client, and I just won both game 1 and game 2 of the first round, but it says my match is still in progress. Is that normal? It's up to 35 minutes and still says the other guys' game 2 is in progress is well. I'm just worried after reading the bad stories about crashes.

As far as I know it's just slow to update regardless of what you do.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Mortimer posted:

Always be sure to say "storm count #" after every spell you play in standard too.

Be sure to get a count of the card types in graveyards, as well as check for threshold.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Also make sure to keep your graveyard correctly ordered, just in case.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Thank god they fixed the lag issues, EDH is finally playable again

I mean hopefully

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

I do not find the beta client to be as bad as some people find it. Yes it does take a long time to "load decks" when I log in. That has cost me a draft a couple of times when I have DC'd.

Generally the interface is better than the older one and it can only get more stable as they work on it.

Edit: mobile phone grammar.

DoctorOozy fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 28, 2014

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kabanaw posted:

Also make sure to keep your graveyard correctly ordered, just in case.

I do this because I'm a broken person who thinks maintaining proper graveyard order is fun and interesting.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Yes that seems to be normal and yes it's dumb.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

cheetah7071 posted:

I do this because I'm a broken person who thinks maintaining proper graveyard order is fun and interesting.

I do this because I used to play the card "Question" in YuGiOh a decade and a half ago. :v:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
So a local store that has been around for a long time has revamped its website with Crystal Commerce. He is buying singles like crazy. This is about 9 months after a competitor opened, and most of the more competitive players have migrated to the new store. His buylist prices are crazy high. Crazy. He is paying 10-20 cents per common for most commons. Insane! I have a foil LOTV i'm looking to move, his buylist is $238 cash. Thats like $65 higher than CFB. He's buying at like 80-90% of TCG low. Everyone in our little community is rushing to cash out bulk to him, but I feel bad. He can't possibly make money buying singles at the prices he is. If he keeps accepting these buylists its going to crush him. Like, 35 cents for a Theros satyr token? Seriously? Fine I have 10.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 28, 2014

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

jassi007 posted:

So a local store that has been around for a long time has revamped its website with Crystal Commerce. He is buying singles like crazy. This is about 9 months after a competitor opened, and most of the more competitive players have migrated to the new store. His buylist prices are crazy high. Crazy. He is paying 10-20 cents per common for most commons. Insane! I have a foil LOTV i'm looking to move, his buylist is $238 cash. Thats like $65 higher than CFB. He's buying at like 80-90% of TCG low. Everyone in our little community is rushing to cash out bulk to him, but I feel bad. He can't possibly make money buying singles at the prices he is. If he keeps accepting these buylists its going to crush him.

Use your fat stacks from cashing out to throw him a nice Going Out of Business party in 3 months.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Toshimo posted:

Use your fat stacks from cashing out to throw him a nice Going Out of Business party in 3 months.

Yeah I guess. I don't care all that much and I don't see any reason not to cash out of poo poo. We've all speculated for a long time he is an awful business person, I guess this confirms it. It is just funny, he didn't turn the heat on all winter because he couldn't afford it, but now he's buying out everything under the sun for prices way better than any buylist i've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Can I send you a box?

• Locked thread