Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ethan_Alan
Apr 8, 2008

I am threatened by non-violence
Four pages and not one mention of this? Shameful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q6brMrFw0E

Look upon your beliefs, Xenocides, and despair!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

If I convert can I have one or more naive young wives raised to be obedient because

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

Ethan_Alan posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46PXaJxzuDE&sns=em

this p. much the only good thing to come out of mormonism

hail galactic satan

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
This guy on a bike said he wanted to talk about mormon and I said No, I'm Catholic and he said it again like oh come on man you got time to talk to a mormon over here. No again, and he gave me the dirtiest look before riding off, with his beard and his bike, at like 11pm on a freeway intersection, probably wondering why he didn't save my ancestor soul

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

gently caress the ROW posted:

This guy on a bike said he wanted to talk about mormon and I said No, I'm Catholic and he said it again like oh come on man you got time to talk to a mormon over here. No again, and he gave me the dirtiest look before riding off, with his beard and his bike, at like 11pm on a freeway intersection, probably wondering why he didn't save my ancestor soul

was he wearing a helmet i always lol when i see these niggas w/helmets added to the costume

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Ilikedirt posted:

was he wearing a helmet i always lol when i see these niggas w/helmets added to the costume

He had a helmet and a drat backpack

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
u know what makes ur religion super appealing, dressing your missionaries up like literal schoolchildren, also make sure theyre so white u can smell the hotdog water from miles around

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
so their heaven is set up like a free to play pay to win game

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
These people are goddamn retards. If you're going to believe in poo poo this goofy and contrived you might as well go whole hog and run around with a sword pretending to fight orcs.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

gently caress the ROW posted:

He was a fake. Our missionaries don't have beards.

Ethan_Alan posted:

I have always loved that eerie soundtrack. The details are almost all wrong but they got some of the general stuff right. Many of the things they say Mormons believe are actually speculation some members believe. Whoever their ex-Mormon consultant was he seems to have been ultra-orthodox about every theory bandied about for fun.

Grognan posted:

gently caress mormons, their religious education on sexual morals fucks up a lot of people.

Here I was thinking we hosed less people because of them.

Daedra posted:

so do i go to heaven even if i dont believe if your dumbass religion because if so im down

No, you go to a heaven....possibly after spending a few lifetimes in hell. Whether you go to hell depends on a number of things. The best way to find out is to ask yourself: Am I an rear end in a top hat?

Ilikedirt posted:

u know what makes ur religion super appealing, dressing your missionaries up like literal schoolchildren, also make sure theyre so white u can smell the hotdog water from miles around

We tried painting their skin black to increase interest but it backfired unpredictably with a lot of whinging about "blackface" and stuff like that.

Tujague posted:

These people are goddamn retards. If you're going to believe in poo poo this goofy and contrived you might as well go whole hog and run around with a sword pretending to fight orcs.

Planning to be a God is more fun.

Ethan_Alan
Apr 8, 2008

Xenocides posted:

I have always loved that eerie soundtrack. The details are almost all wrong but they got some of the general stuff right. Many of the things they say Mormons believe are actually speculation some members believe. Whoever their ex-Mormon consultant was he seems to have been ultra-orthodox about every theory bandied about for fun.

Please O son of Elohim, tell us which parts are wrong and are not in the book of mormon. Also how long did it take you people to overcome your religion's inherent racism of native americans? Was it in the 70s like it was with the neutral, negroid race?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Ethan_Alan posted:

Please O son of Elohim, tell us which parts are wrong and are not in the book of mormon.

Only part of that video is even about the Book of Mormon so.....most of it. I have neither the time nor the desire to do a line-by-line critique of the video. It would be long and boring and most people would not bother to read it. Many people have done such critiques and many are posted on the internet and are easily found using the magic of Google if you are actually interested in the topic and are not just trying to pick an internet fight.

Ethan_Alan posted:

Also how long did it take you people to overcome your religion's inherent racism of native americans?

Let's see. The Book of Mormon defines them as a chosen people who will rule the Americas once the time of the Gentiles (mostly white people) has passed and the Book of Mormon was published before the church was formed.

A little research such as a single Google search would have helped you come up with a better :iceburn: but :effort:

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Xenocides posted:

I have neither the time nor the desire

1 Peter 3:15 posted:

Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect

Ethan_Alan
Apr 8, 2008

Xenocides posted:

Let's see. The Book of Mormon defines them as a chosen people who will rule the Americas once the time of the Gentiles (mostly white people) has passed and the Book of Mormon was published before the church was formed.

Sorry orgazmo, putting native americans on a pedestal is still removing their own agency and claiming that they're the lost tribe of israel dismisses their own cultural heritage and history. That's pretty racist. Try again.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

morgoons

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

mormogoons

naem
May 29, 2011

Hosanna unto you oh Kevin

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Sierra Nevadan posted:

Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect

Yes, if they ask why you have a hope in Christ. I am confident that scripture is not intended to be broad enough to cover mandatory in-depth critiques of bad Hanna-Barbara knockoff cartoons.

Ethan_Alan posted:

Sorry orgazmo, putting native americans on a pedestal is still removing their own agency and claiming that they're the lost tribe of israel dismisses their own cultural heritage and history. That's pretty racist. Try again.

I have spoken with a number of Native Americans and some of them, on finding out I am LDS, ask what our beliefs are about the Native Americans. I share them. Many of them do not agree with our conclusions. Some thought I was a little (or a lot) nutty. Some have just been amused. Some took it as a compliment. A few even wanted to know more. They have never been offended though. So, if the first time it is taken as offensive is by a white basement-dweller with a grudge how seriously should I take it?

Show us on the doll where the Mormonism touched you.

DeKalb
May 30, 2007

Hecho en West Germany
Love, GP
http://cesletter.com/Letter-to-a-CES-Director.pdf

If you have time to read through this (it's long, it took me a few hours but it was well worth it even though I have no Mormon connections at all), what do you think of it?

naem
May 29, 2011

It was the doll where a pagan Antichrist mystery cult claimed to be Christian

Ethan_Alan
Apr 8, 2008

Xenocides posted:

Yes, if they ask why you have a hope in Christ. I am confident that scripture is not intended to be broad enough to cover mandatory in-depth critiques of bad Hanna-Barbara knockoff cartoons.

I have spoken with a number of Native Americans and some of them, on finding out I am LDS, ask what our beliefs are about the Native Americans. I share them. Many of them do not agree with our conclusions. Some thought I was a little (or a lot) nutty. Some have just been amused. Some took it as a compliment. A few even wanted to know more. They have never been offended though. So, if the first time it is taken as offensive is by a white basement-dweller with a grudge how seriously should I take it?

Show us on the doll where the Mormonism touched you.

But that's just it, isn't it? You don't have a hope in christ, because to you Jesus is a loving martian. Which is all well and good except you use word salad and oratory blandness to confuse people into believing that you're just another run of the mill christian sect, not the malignant tumor of society that you are. And since you can't understand how your otherization of native americans is discriminatory then let's move onto gays and women allowed in the clergy. Why does your church not only prohibit women and gays from church leadership (most mormon churches exclude gays from practicing at all), it also goes out of it's way to restrict the rights of gay people in broader society with legislation like prop 8.

So how about you show us on the doll where the gay touched you.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

DeKalb posted:

http://cesletter.com/Letter-to-a-CES-Director.pdf

If you have time to read through this (it's long, it took me a few hours but it was well worth it even though I have no Mormon connections at all), what do you think of it?

I have read through it before. I also recommend the rebuttal from LDS sources (though not official). I have no idea about this guy's counter-rebuttal but it might be good. I find the LDS rebuttal convincing on most points (except one where I think they went the wrong way to explain something) but then I know many of those who helped write bits of it and like them and I am not unbiased. I am convinced the LDS faith is true, mostly due to my contact with the divine.

It is a decent layout of many of the most common claims as to why the LDS church is wrong. It is a list of talking points from critical books and websites that has been around for decades. Some of it looks straight out lifted from them complete with sarcastic phrasing.

I feel for the guy if he is telling the truth. It is hard to face something that rips apart your worldview or even just casts doubts on it. I have faced the same kinds of problems but mine were theological and not historical. I find the historical evidence makes my faith plausible but does not prove it.

Anyway, enough serious posting from me.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
pretty funny for a serious post

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Xenocides do you believe this happened

because let me tell ya: it didnt

Ethan_Alan
Apr 8, 2008

^^^Best part is that's supposed to be indiana or some poo poo.

Xenocides posted:

I am convinced the LDS faith is true, mostly due to my contact with the divine....Anyway, enough serious posting from me.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
As a TBM, it is Xenocides's job to paint anyone who has legitimate criticisms of the church as a rabid anti-mormon. He's already proven himself to be a racist, ignorant, rapist-apologist.

Or a funny gimmick account, i can't really tell at this point.

edit: ewww one of his posts is touching mine :ohdear:
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Console Role Player fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 28, 2014

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Ethan_Alan posted:

But that's just it, isn't it? You don't have a hope in christ, because to you Jesus is a loving martian. Which is all well and good except you use word salad and oratory blandness to confuse people into believing that you're just another run of the mill christian sect, not the malignant tumor of society that you are.

So because I prefer to be exact when describing something compared to your histrionic "Mormons Martians are coming to rape us all!" sensationalism I am the one obfuscating reality? Out of morbid curiosity how are you wanting to excise said tumor?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

all religions are dumb but mormonism is super dumb because all the magical bullshit supposedly happened relatively recently and people still believe it

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

Xenocides posted:

I find the historical evidence makes my faith plausible but does not prove it.

You're posting calmly and responding well so I'll not start GBSing on you but your ability to reason is severely lacking because you grew up in the church that teaches that faith is more important than fact. This is a big part of why cults like scientology, heaven gate and mormonism are bad. They destroys people ability to function and progress at full potential because they literally cannot follow logical arguments.

edit in bold

brick cow fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 28, 2014

baw
Nov 5, 2008

like just imagine if that poo poo with the golden plates happened in like 1996. would you still be a believer

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

where is the historical evidence that a tribe of israel migrated to the americas (lol) apparently building cities copied directly from the future postclassic 13th century maya in the american midwest (lol) and then were visted by jesus (lol). id like to see this evidence as latin american history is my field and if this were true id be very cool and famous

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 28, 2014

baw
Nov 5, 2008

there isn't any it's so goddamn stupid. seriously, you have to have some major intellectual blind spots (this is my polite way of saying you're an idiot) in order to believe the first goddamn thing about mormonism

Ethan_Alan
Apr 8, 2008

Xenocides posted:

So because I prefer to be exact when describing something compared to your histrionic "Mormons Martians are coming to rape us all!" sensationalism I am the one obfuscating reality? Out of morbid curiosity how are you wanting to excise said tumor?

Haha I'm being histrionic by pointing out that Mormon Jesus is from the moon? I don't think so. And you want to know how you're obfuscating reality?

Xenocides posted:

I am convinced the LDS faith is true, mostly due to my contact with the divine

That's how you obfuscate reality, dude. And a good start at excising the mormon cancer from our country is to (rightly) label you a loving cult right alongside scientology, and then to shame you all so that you never try any attempt at public policy ever again.

But while you're here, tell us about why you think the church is right in denying gay people the right to get married.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Ethan_Alan posted:

label you a loving cult right alongside scientology, and then to shame you all so that you never try any attempt at public policy ever again.

this is a dumb game to play because the only difference between a cult and a religion is the size of the membership

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

baw posted:

all religions are dumb but mormonism is super dumb because all the magical bullshit supposedly happened relatively recently and people still believe it

Ethan_Alan
Apr 8, 2008

I agree, but the social stigma with that word severely damages an organization's credibility and brings their political capital down to zero. Imagine if scientology had the same clout and influence the mormon church has. And the larger a church's membership, the better chance is has of splintering, which is also a net positive in my mind.

I want Mormonism to be as influential to our society as scientology is, that's the point I'm trying to make.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Xenocides do you believe this happened

because let me tell ya: it didnt

Your ability to tell a historical photograph from an inaccurate artistic depiction of something is truly amazing.

Console Role Player posted:

As a TBM, it is Xenocides's job to paint anyone who has legitimate criticisms of the church as a rabid anti-mormon. He's already proven himself to be a racist, ignorant, rapist-apologist.

You left out Nazi.

baw posted:

So supernatural occurrences are more plausible as long as they happened a long time ago. I have heard this argument before but I have never heard a good reason for it. Got one?

Ethan_Alan posted:

Haha I'm being histrionic by pointing out that Mormon Jesus is from the moon? I don't think so. And you want to know how you're obfuscating reality?

If you can cite me an LDS source claiming that Jesus was born or created on the moon I will recant my faith and allow you to have a person of your choice sodomize me. That work for you? Otherwise I am going to stick with my "you being histrionic" theory.

Ethan_Alan posted:

I want Mormonism to be as influential to our society as scientology is, that's the point I'm trying to make.

Good luck with that. Our doom has been endlessly prognosticated with grave surety since about 1830. So far it hasn't happened. Maybe you will get lucky.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

where is the historical evidence that a tribe of israel migrated to the americas (lol) apparently building cities copied directly from the future postclassical 15th century maya in the american midwest (lol) and then were visted by jesus (lol). id like to see this evidence as latin american history is my field and if this were true id be very cool and famous

There isn't any but I don't base my beliefs on what things in the Book of Mormon looked like by those using liberal amounts of artistic license. In the text all we know is that the events depicted happened near a temple with no description of what architectural style the temple was built in.

brick cow posted:

You're posting calmly and responding well so I'll not start GBSing on you but your ability to reason is severely lacking because you grew up in the church that teaches that faith is more important than fact. This is a big part of why cults like scientology, heaven gate and mormonism are bad. They destroys people ability to function and progress at full potential because they literally cannot follow logical arguments.

edit in bold

I was never taught that faith is more important then fact. I was taught that there is value in religious conviction if accompanied by personal divine validation. The only time I am told I am irrational is when I am talking about my faith and even then only on the internet. Perhaps I am just crazy in one particular aspect of my life. Well, it's a glorious and fun madness if that is the case and everything else suggests I am sane....well except being a goon. Everyone has their idiosyncrasies.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Xenocides posted:

So supernatural occurrences are more plausible as long as they happened a long time ago. I have heard this argument before but I have never heard a good reason for it. Got one?

no they're all dumb but the gullible morons who founded your religion should have known better

and as far as the gullible morons who continue believing them? :wtc:

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

Xenocides posted:

I was never taught that faith is more important then fact. I was taught that there is value in religious conviction if accompanied by personal divine validation. The only time I am told I am irrational is when I am talking about my faith and even then only on the internet. Perhaps I am just crazy in one particular aspect of my life. Well, it's a glorious and fun madness if that is the case and everything else suggests I am sane....well except being a goon. Everyone has their idiosyncrasies.

You don't understand that you don't know the meanings of the "faith" and "fact". It's common cult behaviour to use everyday words and convolute their meaning so the members can't communicate or thing logically.

Ie. fast sunday 20-40 people once a month have told you "I know this church is true. I know joseph smith is a prophet- *emmotion story*" Because of the lifelong repetition and the emotional context it's put in you literally have a different definition of the word "know" than people that are not mormon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
Hey Xenocides. What's your church's stance on genocide and murder?

Oh, yeah.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Meadows_massacre
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_atonement

Isn't being a goon like against the mormon religion or something? Do you have to explain goatse to your bishop whenever you're repenting for your numerous sins and transgressions? Or are you just another mormon hypocrite?

• Locked thread