Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So if I'm the liege of the Sunni caliph, how do I get the caliphate? You cannot revoke the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Torrannor posted:

So if I'm the liege of the Sunni caliph, how do I get the caliphate? You cannot revoke the title.

Stab him, then stab his son, then stab his brother, then keep stabbing until you inherit his titles. (At this point, I think the Caliphate actually gets destroyed but you'll be freely available to create it provided you meet the requirements.)

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
The Caliphate is a hereditary title that can only be held by the male descendants of the Prophet Muhammad. You can't usurp it; if you want to become the Caliph, you have to play the marriage game to get a character of your dynasty who is also eligible for the Caliphate, then assassinate people until you inherit. Depending on the circumstances this can often be very very difficult!

Edit: or what Allyn said! I've never seen the Caliphate get totally destroyed, so I had no idea you could recreate it.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Talky posted:

The Caliphate is a hereditary title that can only be held by the male descendants of the Prophet Muhammad. You can't usurp it; if you want to become the Caliph, you have to play the marriage game to get a character of your dynasty who is also eligible for the Caliphate, then assassinate people until you inherit. Depending on the circumstances this can often be very very difficult!

Edit: or what Allyn said! I've never seen the Caliphate get totally destroyed, so I had no idea you could recreate it.

I think maybe it's in the religion tab where Pagans get the option to reform, there are a number of different ways to reform the Caliphate. I'll have to double-check the specifics when I get home from work, but it's something like 1000 Piety if you're Sayyid and the Caliphate doesn't exist, or you have to hold certain religious sites (Mecca, Baghdad, others??) as an alternative to having the Sayyid trait.

If you're a non-Sayyid Muslim you'll have to control certain holy sites and pay a bunch of Piety to make yourself Caliph, essentially.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Talky posted:

Strictly speaking you don't have to be a Sayyid, although that does make it a lot easier. The requirements are:
1) Either Mirza, Sayyid, or have 1000 piety, and
2) Either a Sayyid with 1000 piety (essentially meet two of the requirements from (1)), or control Mecca and Medina, or control Jerusalem, Damascus and Baghdad.

Mostly efb but those are the specifics :) Also in my console killing for all this I actually found that from the 1066 start, the Hashimids are in line to inherit for some reason, and since they're lande in the Fatimids' realm, you'll lose the duchy of Baghdad when the last Abbasid dies. And then when the last Hashimid dies, the Fatimid Caliph inherits. Including the Sunni Caliphate. So he becomes Caliph of both Sunnis and Shias at once. :pwn: One for Darkrenown to flag up, probably :shobon:

Allyn fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 27, 2014

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Ofaloaf posted:

e2: Oh jesus, there's people complaining that the butterfly effect would likely wave the Rise of Islam out of existence. Is this it? I'm slowly working backwards from the last page.

I only read the first few pages back when it was first linked. This sounded reasonable, from the first page. I can't believe they're still listening to that guy who wouldn't stop ranting about the butterfly effect. Jesus Christ already. The base game still has the Timurids invade ~500 years after the 867 start, we should be able to handle the rise of Islam when we start in 220.

quote:

Islam can go really oddly in this. In my test plays, the following have happened:

Mohammad dies in battle against the Ghassanids (Causing a premature schism)

The Arabs face a crushing defeat against the Sassanids (and are consumed)

When the Islamic Schism occurs, the Shi'ites are triumphant and the Sunni's are eliminated. (First non-dynastic Caliph succession)

The Caliphs decide to center the Ummah around Africa, cross into Axum, and leave the middle east to the Christians. (Which eventually does fall to the Sassanids)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ofaloaf posted:

Oh cool, they're also going with Julius Nepos as the true last Western Roman Emperor, so even in 480 you can get all excited about being TRUE ROMANS and all that balls.

Isn't he the guy whose name is the origin of the word "nepotism"?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Wait, so they have Mohammed the Prophet as a playable, landed character?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
It had so much fun promise... :negative:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm just hoping they release one version of the mod, or if it all falters and nothing's ever openly released then somehow the drat thing's leaked. One of the people working on it mentioned a test game where he successfully migrated, as the Jutes, to Spain-- wanting to see how they did made migrations go is driving me nuts.

Angstrom Gothington
Feb 19, 2007

Raise your arms in the big black sky, raise your arms the highest you can, so the whole universe will glow.
I thought I'd relax and play a nice and unambitious Norman Catholic Brittany game, but all the cards fell just right for my hellspawned great-grandson of Haesteinn and I couldn't resist going MAXIMUM ANTICHRIST on poor unsuspecting Europe :(.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Is it at all really possible to create Israel and/or the Third Temple? I started in Khazaria but barely made it one generation before the Yagbuid Sultanate wrecked my poo poo, and I could see inbreeding getting to be a real problem since that one Jewish county in Africa got wiped out about five years in (I think they're too far away for marriage though).

It's worth mentioning that I suck out loud at this game. Is it me, or is playing as a Jewish dynasty just impossible?

RE: the betrothal/marriage argument from a couple pages back, I swear I used to get a "Betrothed Can Marry" alert when both were of age that would allow me to send a marriage request without breaking the betrothal, but it stopped doing that either from some update or when I got a DLC bundle.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Raserys posted:

It had so much fun promise... :negative:

Yeah its become heavily bogged down with them trying to add feature after feature and the word butterfly effect is used so much its lost all meaning.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Sex Hobbit posted:

Is it at all really possible to create Israel and/or the Third Temple? I started in Khazaria but barely made it one generation before the Yagbuid Sultanate wrecked my poo poo, and I could see inbreeding getting to be a real problem since that one Jewish county in Africa got wiped out about five years in (I think they're too far away for marriage though).

It's worth mentioning that I suck out loud at this game. Is it me, or is playing as a Jewish dynasty just impossible?

The trick to surviving as Khazaria is to use your starting troops and money to beat the poo poo out of the Cumans and the rest of Tartaria basically immediately. Don't even attempt to start conquering south until you have a solid power base.

Alternatively, start as the Abbasids/Saffarids and conquer Khazaria, move your capital to the one Jewish province, then convert to Judaism.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Sex Hobbit posted:

RE: the betrothal/marriage argument from a couple pages back, I swear I used to get a "Betrothed Can Marry" alert when both were of age that would allow me to send a marriage request without breaking the betrothal, but it stopped doing that either from some update or when I got a DLC bundle.

There's a succession LP of Khazaria going right now that might be helpful. Also, I had that betrothal problem too. I don't know how it got turned off, but on the right side of the screen, where it has the thing that shows armies and demesne and whatnot, there's a disabled alerts list. Under the disabled alerts tab, I saw "Bethrothed can married" and had to click that to re-enable it to get betrothals back to normal.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

fool_of_sound posted:

The trick to surviving as Khazaria is to use your starting troops and money to beat the poo poo out of the Cumans and the rest of Tartaria basically immediately. Don't even attempt to start conquering south until you have a solid power base.

Alternatively, start as the Abbasids/Saffarids and conquer Khazaria, move your capital to the one Jewish province, then convert to Judaism.

It's basically the same as the Zoroastrian start then: You're surrounded by people who hate you and your only potential ally is a tiny little speck that will probably die before you reach them, so start murdering your enemies before they attack you, then keep doing so instead of giving them a chance to rest up and hit back. Or start as Yaq'ub, murder everything, and convert.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

How do you ever find anyone to marry as a Jew or Zoroastrian? The initial dating pool is pretty small even as a Pagan, but Jewish women barely seem to exist at all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Angela Christine posted:

How do you ever find anyone to marry as a Jew or Zoroastrian? The initial dating pool is pretty small even as a Pagan, but Jewish women barely seem to exist at all.

"Present Debutante."

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Angela Christine posted:

I keep hitting "Present Debutante" until I find someone who doesn't suck horribly.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah I was working on taking over the Cumanian provinces to the north that I had de jure claims on; the Yagbuids waited until I was out of starting troops and cash to Holy War for a huge chunk of territory in the middle. I might take your second suggestion when I fire it up again.

edit- I admit I'm kind of addicted to impossible starts... someday I WILL reform West African Paganism...

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 28, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Angela Christine posted:

As a Zoroastrian? Marry your sister. Marry your sons and daughters to each other. Concubines, take from vassals or invite to your court from the Muslim courts since there tend to be a few Zoroastrian women here and there. Or take some of the many, many women you'll capture while sieging Muslim holdings in holy wars, I suppose.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is the new launcher working for anyone in linux?

I just tried it here (Mint 16): it opens fine, but then just halts if I click anything on it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The game has started popping up a message window whenever a siege event happens (supplies smuggled in, etc.). I don't think I changed any message settings, and I don't see anything about siege events in the message options window. The popups are pretty annoying, how can I get rid of them?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Ofaloaf posted:

e: The gently caress is this rising and falling nations idea they're bandying about? Countries should rise and fall based upon the mechanics already in the game. What are they changing to make it more static?

Are they lifting this from Great Invasions? It didn't make a whole lot of sense there either.

Determinists are weird.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Strudel Man posted:

Some of them are in text1.csv. But you can make your own fairly easily just by making a new localisation file with lines

king_[culture];[English];[French];[German];;[Spanish];;;;;;;;;x
king_female_[culture];[English];[French];[German];;[Spanish];;;;;;;;;x

For the versions of each culture.

You can also affect different governments with (for example)

city_duke_[culture]

Or religions with

count_[religion]

I believe it's possible to stack everything for something super-specific like

temple_king_female_norman_fraticelli

But I'm not sure whether the culture or the religion should go first, in that case.

Thanks! That worked! Do you have any idea how to adjust titles for princes (heirs, sons of kings, etc.)?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

The game has started popping up a message window whenever a siege event happens (supplies smuggled in, etc.). I don't think I changed any message settings, and I don't see anything about siege events in the message options window. The popups are pretty annoying, how can I get rid of them?

Patches will (usually) reset message settings. Right click on one of them, and you can hide them.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

DrPop posted:

Thanks! That worked! Do you have any idea how to adjust titles for princes (heirs, sons of kings, etc.)?

Found this in the localisation files, which should hopefully give you what you need (or at least a start):

code:
title_prince;Prince;Prince;Prinz;;Príncipe;;;;;;;;;x
title_prince_iranian;Shahzada;Shahzada;Shahzada;;Shahzada;;;;;;;;;x
title_prince_female;Princess;Princesse;Prinzessin;;Princesa;;;;;;;;;x
title_prince_female_iranian;Shahdokht;Shahdokht;Shahdokht;;Shahdokht;;;;;;;;;x

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

SeaTard posted:

Patches will (usually) reset message settings. Right click on one of them, and you can hide them.

I didn't apply a patch, that's the weird thing. Nothing comes up when I right click on the message, and I don't see anything relating to siege events in the message options window. :confused:

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

I've always wondered who sets up the default message settings, cause they're almost always awful. I suppose it could just be multiplayer bias on their part...but they don't make terribly much sense even then.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Jedit posted:

Isn't he the guy whose name is the origin of the word "nepotism"?

Nope. It actually has way more interesting origins.

EDIT:

I'm (jokingly) certain the guy who sets up default message settings is also responsible for making Terrain mapmode the default one over Political.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Quick, who makes for a good Ireland-like tutorial land for Muslims, Old Gods or vanilla?

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

YorexTheMad posted:

Quick, who makes for a good Ireland-like tutorial land for Muslims, Old Gods or vanilla?

In vanilla (1066 start) the best tutorial lands for Muslims IMO are the Sheik who owns most of the isle of Sicily, and the Zirids - who own the coast of Tunis, but start with the title of King of Africa.

In Old Gods, Saffarids are a really good one, it's nice and easy to unify the kingdom of Persia, and then you have opportunities West and East.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

AdjectiveNoun posted:

In Old Gods, Saffarids are a really good one, it's nice and easy to unify the kingdom of Persia, and then you have opportunities West and East.

Until the Ghaznavids decide to kick down your door with their event doomstack.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Old Gods Hashimids are pretty alright, too. You have to watch out for if the Abbasids blob up and decide to come knocking, but there's plenty of opportunity to expand early on. If all else fails you can always swear fealty to the Abbasids and then take them over from the inside.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
The Sicily start looked hopeless with Apulia around the corner until I realized I could borrow Jewish money even as a Muslin. Maybe I have a shot after all.

Mechanics question: Muslim rulers can hold temples, but is there any reason why they should?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

YorexTheMad posted:

The Sicily start looked hopeless with Apulia around the corner until I realized I could borrow Jewish money even as a Muslin. Maybe I have a shot after all.

Mechanics question: Muslim rulers can hold temples, but is there any reason why they should?

Having more holdings in your capital is always good. Temples generate more income at game start, though the church town upgrades are worse than the castle town upgrades, so after a few centuries the castles will provide more money. Temples have a useful mix of heavy infantry and archers (and a few light infantry), much better than towns. You should always hold all mosques in your capital county. You also get piety for every temple holding you hold as a Muslim. And if you are the Caliph, holding a holy site will increase your religion's moral authority by 5%.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

YorexTheMad posted:

Duchy of Oman, 867 start: Are You An Ibadi Enough Dude to Rescue the President?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Shadeoses posted:

Wait, so they have Mohammed the Prophet as a playable, landed character?

Oh yes.. He can even become Jewish instead :happyelf:. I tried to work on it but people kept shooting me down with dumb BS like "Islam should only succeed 10% of the time" and "I know you keep saying you just started writing the events but you haven't shown any alternate paths, what gives?" These same people keep advocating for Rome to be easily restored or the Franks should be historically power yet Islam should be a weak heresy with little to no chance of succeeding. I really wanted this mod to succeed.:smith:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

How do you go about getting new lands - every time I do it, I get smacked down, hard.

I'm currently playing as Navarra - was able to get all of Navarra under my control, but I don't seem to have any luck grabbing hold of any of my neighbours, whereas Castille ha been growing ever larger.

I'm not facing a game over because my dynasty is all over Spain, but I'd still like to keep my Kingdom going, especially as I've managed to make it Elective Absolute Cognatic (have a genius daughter - she needed to inherit. Pondering going on a murder spree through everyone who isn't in a matrilineal marriage, or is an ambitious bastard)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Oh yes.. He can even become Jewish instead :happyelf:. I tried to work on it but people kept shooting me down with dumb BS like "Islam should only succeed 10% of the time" and "I know you keep saying you just started writing the events but you haven't shown any alternate paths, what gives?" These same people keep advocating for Rome to be easily restored or the Franks should be historically power yet Islam should be a weak heresy with little to no chance of succeeding. I really wanted this mod to succeed.:smith:

Sounds like they want a Greco-Persian AltHistory Jerkoff mod more than whatever it is they're pitching this as.

e. lemme guess, the Persian Zhayedan cultural retinue have straight 10s in every phase of battle and access to the Retreat & Ambush tactic.

• Locked thread