Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Tequila Ranger posted:

The old Grey Knight Hammerhand power explicitly could be stacked, can the new +2 Str Sanctic Hammerhand stack as well? Nemesis Halberds being S8 AP3 hitting at Init 6 sounds hilarious.

They FAQ'd that Hammerhand couldn't be stacked back in 5th edition. So no, the new one cant stack.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Phyresis posted:

e: Also Jesus Christ you loving clowns, read the loving rules before you have multiple page arguments about poo poo. Psykers that come with specific powers instead of generating randomly on the table don't ever get any other powers, they don't get the Primaris, they can't loving summon Daemons, SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT IT
Asking for clarification on one rule about four days into a new edition, getting two responses - multiple page argument. Gotcha. :rolleye:

AbusePuppy posted:

So Ahriman can cast a witchfire three times per turn now, which is actually pretty awesome. He's still expensive and kinda fragile and a bit of a derp, but he at least gets a decent warlord trait and he's one of the highest-level psykers in the game. Thanks to Chaos Psychic Focus, he actually ends up with five powers, which means (given perfect rolls and enough warp charge backing him up) you can spam out a hilarious fifteen witchfires in a single turn with him. pew pew pew!
I'm trying to figure out the best bunker for him, since I want to run him and am not that keen on him immediately imploding. I think a Rhino with him and a handful of mooks would be the most cost effective method, since he cap pop out the hatch and fry some chumps without really caring about any of the negatives, and the Rhino can close the distance if need be. Not the best unit, of course, but it would be worth a laugh in more relaxed games.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Fix posted:

I did have a commissar shoot down a Dakkajet with a bolt pistol though, so I really won the game in the end.

Paging discount_bees to the 40k thread! This needs to be illustrated.

So what do you guys think of Ordo Hereticus inquisitors now? They can take a Null Rod and Psyocculum for 25 points each. Psyocculum makes the bearer and his unit BS10 when shooting any unit containing a Psyker. Null Rod makes the bearer and his unit immune to all psychic powers(including friendly) and is AP3 with Instant Death vs any Psyker. Psyk-out grenades are standard wargear and make any Daemon or Psyker I1 during the first phase after they're assaulted by the inquisitor's unit.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Fix posted:

I did have a commissar shoot down a Dakkajet with a bolt pistol though, so I really won the game in the end.

This is the reason I play the drat game.

" Ah, Carruthers, he's coming around again. This just will not do. He's slowing down the advance. Here hold my eyeglasses, there's a good chap. I only need them for reading. Now, the important thing Carruthers, as ever, is to wait until you see the whites of their eyes, or in this case teeth. Just be a second... There we are, got the blighter. My word what an explosion. Shame about 9 platoon but can't be helped. Now sound the advance and as ever, lieutenant, last man to the enemy will be shot for cowardice. Tally Ho"

\/ Awesome - duellist pose

JackMack fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 28, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

ghetto wormhole posted:

Paging discount_bees to the 40k thread! This needs to be illustrated.

I was using this model:

For his service he has been given the name Heresy Ford. His great glory came after escaping the collapse of his bunker by vortex explosion through an escape hatch alongside a single melta guardsman. The timely exit put them unchallenged on a scoring objective that had the skyfire nexus, denying the objective to the orks and taking it for themselves. They took full advantage and downed the nearby plane (Heresy did not actually need the nexus, rolling sixes). Then they were run down by a skorcha wagon with deffrolla. He ordered the guardsman to death or glory it and it exploded. Then they died as the deffrolla murdered them for standing there.

He will live on.

Fix fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 28, 2014

Ratflinger
Jul 1, 2010

AbusePuppy posted:

Necrons are still really great and I have no idea why you think the Command Barge isn't amazing. AV13, hit on Weapon Skill, gets to make Sweep Attacks AND shoot AND assault? Can soak Melta/Lascannon hits on the Overlord with a 4+ cover save? That thing is a beast..

You cannot soak anymore, instead you will get stunned with av 11 if you get weapon destroyed. They changed it. And if you destroy the barge, the Overlord is removed as a casualty. Still not terrible, but it got hit pretty hard. Admittedly, being able to lock yourself in combat is pretty good, and will most likely keep it viable.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Fix posted:

I was using this model:

For his duty he has been given the name Heresy Ford.

While he does look more like Harrison Ford I think he might be more of a Tom Hanks type:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr9a80BsRDE

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

Commissar McBain reporting for duty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLUGBujl2-0

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

AbusePuppy posted:

And FAAC chumps deserve to get their poo poo kicked in time after time by competent players who actually know the rules of the game.

Why do you always assume that people that don't want to be min max rules lawyering dicks don't know the rules nor how to play? You get so mad about people not wanting to break the game to their advantage. Maybe you need a break?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Ratflinger posted:

You cannot soak anymore, instead you will get stunned with av 11 if you get weapon destroyed. They changed it. And if you destroy the barge, the Overlord is removed as a casualty. Still not terrible, but it got hit pretty hard. Admittedly, being able to lock yourself in combat is pretty good, and will most likely keep it viable.

Remember that Living Metal can shrug off the Stunned result, so it's actually not that big a penalty. The fact that you can selectively allocate damage to either the Overlord or the Barge, whichever is more advantageous for you, is a huge boon that makes up for dying if your ship dies- and if you pop back up, your raft comes with you, which is badass. Last edition the fate of the Command Barge was inevitably "Krak Grenades swing before the Overlord, hit the vehicle on 3s and glance on 5s, say goodbye to your stupid transport and then you are disembarked and not a part of the combat." The new rules for the Barge are so much more advantageous it's not even funny.

serious gaylord posted:

Why do you always assume that people that don't want to be min max rules lawyering dicks don't know the rules nor how to play?

In your case? Because of the passive-aggressive, snippy things you constantly say about competitive players. I know I'm not the only one who finds it incredibly tiresome.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

AbusePuppy posted:

In your case? Because of the passive-aggressive, snippy things you constantly say about competitive players. I know I'm not the only one who finds it incredibly tiresome.

Competitive players in a lot of environments tend to be elitist dicks so they deserve the snippy, passive-aggressive comments more often than not.
I find playing against min-maxing, WAAC army lists used by someone with a bachelors in rules-lawyering incredibly tiresome. There's two sides to the coin, AbusePuppy, or are you just trying to live up to your username by hurling insults?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I love all of you and you should stop fighting.

:vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine::vomarine:

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

HiveCommander posted:

I find playing against min-maxing, WAAC army lists used by someone with a bachelors in rules-lawyering incredibly tiresome. There's two sides to the coin, AbusePuppy, or are you just trying to live up to your username by hurling insults?

Jerks come in every flavor. I've met just as many whiney, "every army but mine is broken" casuals as I have cheating "oops I'm 200pts over I guess" competitive players. Generalizing either player type to be all- or mostly- bad is absurd. There are lots of ways and reasons to enjoy the game, whatever your preferences may be, and demonizing someone else because they don't enjoy the same things you do is ridiculous. I play competitively, but I also really enjoy converting models and using derpy "look ten Piranhas and three Vypers and six Devilfish" armies for the hell of it.

Ratflinger
Jul 1, 2010

AbusePuppy posted:

Remember that Living Metal can shrug off the Stunned result, so it's actually not that big a penalty. The fact that you can selectively allocate damage to either the Overlord or the Barge, whichever is more advantageous for you, is a huge boon that makes up for dying if your ship dies- and if you pop back up, your raft comes with you, which is badass. Last edition the fate of the Command Barge was inevitably "Krak Grenades swing before the Overlord, hit the vehicle on 3s and glance on 5s, say goodbye to your stupid transport and then you are disembarked and not a part of the combat." The new rules for the Barge are so much more advantageous it's not even funny.

As far as I know the command barge does not have reanimation protocols, nor does the AP rule hint at your transport returning with you. How do you selectively allocate wounds between the overlord and barge?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

AbusePuppy posted:

And how does that translate to 'not knowing how to play the game'?

I know how to play. Fix clearly knows the rules too yet he's quite happy to bring a 'sub optimal wtf why would you do that?' fortification to his games. I think you just don't understand why people wouldn't want to be dicks to other people.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

serious gaylord posted:

And how does that translate to 'not knowing how to play the game'?

Fix clearly knows the rules too

Now now, let's not say something we might regret.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Seriously, I just hate guardsmen and like to watch them die.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fix posted:

Seriously, I just hate guardsmen and like to watch them die.

Sounds like you should be in charge of a lot of them then!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

serious gaylord posted:

Sounds like you should be in charge of a lot of them then!

Every Tuesday night.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Goon hivemind, I need your help in identifying some mysterious units while I'm cleaning out my bitz and trying to sell some of it off.

I seriously don't know what the gently caress some of this stuff is. Pretty sure it came along for the ride when I was given a friend's collection when he moved.

The gently caress are all these... steam tanks? One of them is some sort of metal campfire with a loving deer on a spit??

Hideous pewter freaks

Old school magic cards? Seems I have complete decks

Movement trays...?

Got about 20-25 of these suckers. Plastic.

And lastly, for content that isn't just me asking you to help me out, my new Inquisitor + Coteaz for my Astra Militarum army!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Our club is normally pretty casual, and the guys will only play 'strong' lists like 2++ daemons or wave serpent spam if their opponent is cool with it. I normally do fairly well with Nids, and I'm unbeaten in the last couple of months despite never using FMCs / Skyblight etc. I got talking to a guy there yesterday who is playing in a local tournament next month, and wants to play me for practice next week. He specifically asked me to bring "the cheesiest, most broken you list you can". He is taking some combination of Tzeentch daemons and CSM with heldrakes (not sure which are the allies).

This tournament was planned a couple months ago, and is under 6E rules (up until the new IG codex). 1850pts, with a max of 2 detachments (allies or a formation along with the primary). I have ~10k pts of Nids to choose from or about 7k pts worth of Eldar. Here are the strongest units I own:

Nids - Lots of MCs + Elites options, about 300 gaunts/stealers, but only one Flyrant (I don't own any harpies or crones)
Eldar - 3 wave serpents, 2 prisms, 10 jetbikes and the Ghost Warriors box minus the Wraithknight.

What list should I take?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lord Twisted posted:

Goon hivemind, I need your help in identifying some mysterious units while I'm cleaning out my bitz and trying to sell some of it off.

Looks like an Empire steam tank, and some dorfs and Empire archers. Ask the Fantasy thread. :)

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Ratflinger posted:

As far as I know the command barge does not have reanimation protocols, nor does the AP rule hint at your transport returning with you. How do you selectively allocate wounds between the overlord and barge?

The Chariot rules in both cases specify these things.

"The player with the Chariot then allocates [each pool of hits] either to the rider or the chariot..."

"If the rider has a special rule that returns them to play after they have been removed as a casualty... that model's chariot is also returned to play with a single hull point."

Ratflinger
Jul 1, 2010

AbusePuppy posted:

The Chariot rules in both cases specify these things.

"The player with the Chariot then allocates [each pool of hits] either to the rider or the chariot..."

"If the rider has a special rule that returns them to play after they have been removed as a casualty... that model's chariot is also returned to play with a single hull point."

Heh, then I will concede my complaints. Taking all s8+ with ap on the lord with a phase shifter is bananas. Can the lord use the chariot's jink if he does not want to invest in a phase shifter?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Yup, the chariot + rider are explicitly a single model for all game purposes.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

ijyt posted:

Looks like an Empire steam tank, and some dorfs and Empire archers. Ask the Fantasy thread. :)

Durrrr I should have just done this. Thanks.

Also I dunno if you guys noticed but Bolster Defences for Techmarines got a buff - now effects any type of terrain with the +1 bonus, not just ruins.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

xtothez posted:

What list should I take?

If you've been playing nids and gone on a several month win streak, why change it up?

He's certainly more likely to face Eldar in a tournament, however I have to think he's planned around the usual shooty Eldar Wraithknight lists. He's probably not as prepared for something like nids.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

AbusePuppy posted:

While I sorta agree with you here, the Hemlock specifically has access to Daemonology, which is why it's confusing.

It has access, but it's ML1 and has a fixed power so having access means nothing, it still can't pick a second power, or trade its fixed power in.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Ghost Hand posted:

Sounds like you shouldn't have been "holding them at bay" and should have been in their base killin their dudez!

I agree it can swing against you and that's part of the deal. However, just dont play the maelstrom missions if you don't like it. *shrug* I have had fun with them so far.

Given that you can draw an objective card and then score it on the same turn, i.e. your turn it's fairly common to score cards without your opponent ever having a chance to take them or do anything about them. This happened multiple times in the games of 7th I played with ANAmal and Shadow Daishi and I only one one of those games because I drew 3 "Take objective 3" cards in the same game, including 2 in the same turn while I was already parked on that objective. They never had a chance to score those points and fell behind when they had to waste a turn discarding a card that wanted them to destroy a flyer/FMC that wasn't in the game.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Don't work in New York. It does not matter what your job is.

I make more delivering tacos than I did running two companies in Florida so lol.

Hollismason posted:

Hemlock Fighter can summon Daemons...

Ahahhaa. :shrek:

So, the experience of playing 7th Edition can be summarized as having aniracetam dreams?

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 28, 2014

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

koreban posted:

If you've been playing nids and gone on a several month win streak, why change it up?

He's certainly more likely to face Eldar in a tournament, however I have to think he's planned around the usual shooty Eldar Wraithknight lists. He's probably not as prepared for something like nids.

I just realised you can do really cheesy things with Fortifications, Venomthropes and Hive Guard. Hmmm...

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Don't work in New York. It does not matter what your job is.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Hemlock Fighter can summon Daemons...

I don't care if this is true or not, it is a very funny mental image.

Just imaginging this Eldar dude making this face :rock:, while flying past some space marines and summoning some daemons.

He is also probably yelling "Suck it mon-keigh!", but they can't hear him.

Because he is in space fighter jet.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
The reason I believe that the cards are inherently broken is that in order to remain competitive, you have to build your list around them. Like Flyers and Psykers, this means you can no longer build lists with a specific strategy in mind. It's limiting.

After games we used to have a good time chatting about "oh, if I had moved off of that objective and gone for this other one" or "maybe I should have focused more fire on this unit" - going forward, its going to be "If I could've just drawn better cards..."

The cards effectively render a majority of the game pointless...

Everyone in my gaming group is valiantly defending the cards though, so if we can't house-rule them, I might be taking another break from the game.

When it stops being fun, it becomes a job. And I don't need another job.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
You guys do know there's still the old set of missions, right? If the Maelstrom (Wackiness) of War isn't suitably cinematic just play the Eternal War missions.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

You guys do know there's still the old set of missions, right? If the Maelstrom (Wackiness) of War isn't suitably cinematic just play the Eternal War missions.

I'm with you, there. But my gaming group is in love with the cards for some reason. I feel like a sourpuss because they seem unbalanced to me, but the rest of the group disagrees.

The argument one guy made to me was, "It gives Dave a chance," - Dave being our awful player. I don't mind balancing so Dave has a chance, but making the entire game rely on a card draw goes a little too far.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I'm with you, there. But my gaming group is in love with the cards for some reason. I feel like a sourpuss because they seem unbalanced to me, but the rest of the group disagrees.

The argument one guy made to me was, "It gives Dave a chance," - Dave being our awful player. I don't mind balancing so Dave has a chance, but making the entire game rely on a card draw goes a little too far.

Yeah, it's a stupid system.

"Kill a flyer/FMC" uh ok, I'm playing against footdar. Wish me luck?
"Successfully cast a psychic power" well that sucks if you're playing Necrons. Not going to happen.
"Take and hold objective 3" The one behind about 50 Firewarriors? Ahahahahaha! Not in this lifetime, buddy.

Being able to simply have a free mulligan of all the cards you draw at the start of the game would be a huge help, or even allow more than one discard per turn, so you don't get stuck with "Kill a flyer" against a dude fielding 6 Imperial Knights or something.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Hmm, I'm having a real problem coming up with lists for CSM/Daemons because I just want too much and am having a problem focusing. Has anyone come up with decent builds they'd be willing to share? I'm likely going to stick with my successful CSM build of a Biker Lord with Spawn etc, but mixing in Chaos Daemons is making the points tougher.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

HiveCommander posted:

Yeah, it's a stupid system.

"Kill a flyer/FMC" uh ok, I'm playing against footdar. Wish me luck?
"Successfully cast a psychic power" well that sucks if you're playing Necrons. Not going to happen.
"Take and hold objective 3" The one behind about 50 Firewarriors? Ahahahahaha! Not in this lifetime, buddy.

Being able to simply have a free mulligan of all the cards you draw at the start of the game would be a huge help, or even allow more than one discard per turn, so you don't get stuck with "Kill a flyer" against a dude fielding 6 Imperial Knights or something.

I like the idea of the cards because they discourage static gun lines, or carefully positioning tings like Jetbikes perfectly in range to grab objective X at the last second. In theory at least, your list needs to be more flexible, which should be a good thing.

But yeah there should be a rule in place to let you discard impossible objectives. I'd be a bit annoyed if I picked up the flyer one when my opponent had none, or killed his warlord only to get that card the following turn.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

PierreTheMime posted:

Hmm, I'm having a real problem coming up with lists for CSM/Daemons because I just want too much and am having a problem focusing. Has anyone come up with decent builds they'd be willing to share? I'm likely going to stick with my successful CSM build of a Biker Lord with Spawn etc, but mixing in Chaos Daemons is making the points tougher.

What points level are you running?

I find it difficult to run under 1500 but at around 1750 I can fit in

Nurgle lord on bike with spawn, 2 squads of plague marines, a squad of cultists, a heldrake, 3 oblits, autocannons havocs, a GUO a squad of plague bearers and an aegis with quad gun

Unit sizes vary depending on actual point levels but I've had fun with that list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Cataphract posted:

What points level are you running?

I find it difficult to run under 1500 but at around 1750 I can fit in

Nurgle lord on bike with spawn, 2 squads of plague marines, a squad of cultists, a heldrake, 3 oblits, autocannons havocs, a GUO a squad of plague bearers and an aegis with quad gun

Unit sizes vary depending on actual point levels but I've had fun with that list.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what my list looks like, with a little variation. I know everyone's going gaga for Daemonology, but cramming 4+ Mastery Levels into a list essentially guarantees a Tzeentchian army and while I have the models for that it's not the flavor I prefer playing.

Chaos Space Marines (Crimson Slaughter)
HQ:
Chaos Lord 65pts (200pts)
++Mark of Nurgle 15pts
++Blight Grenades 5pts
++Chaos Bike 20pts
++Daemonheart 30pts
++Lightning Claw 15pts
++Sigil of Corruption 25pts
++Powerfist 25pts

Troops:
7x Plague Marine 168pts (238pts)
++2x Plasmagun 30pts
++Meltabombs 5pts
Rhino Transport 35pts

20x Chaos Cultist 90pts

Fast Attack:
4x Chaos Spawn 120pts (144pts)
++Mark of Nurgle 24pts

Heldrake 170pts
++Bale Flamer

Heavy Support:
5x Chaos Havoc 75pts (115pts)
++4x Autocannon 40pts

2x Obliterator 140pts (152pts)

Maulerfiend 125pts
++Magmacutter

Chaos Daemons
Daemon Prince 145pts (240pts)
++Daemon of Nurgle 15pts
++Daemonic Flight 40pts
++Greater Gift 20pts
++Greater Gift 20pts

Herald of Nurgle 45pts (125pts)
++Greater Locus of Fecundity 25pts
++Lesser Reward (Etherblade) 10pts
++Palaquin of Nurgle 45pts

10x Plaguebearer 90pts (105pts)
++Plagueridden 5pts
++Lesser Reward (Etherblade) 10pts

3x Nurglings 45pts

Total Points: 1749pts
Total Models: 57

Edit:
Especially considering how inexpensive the models are because of how terrible the chariots were for so long, I'm really tempted to get 4+ Exalted Flamers and field a 290pt Daemon tack-on army with 4 separately deep-striking models with AP3 torrent templates or d3 short-range Lascannons and two annoying Nurgling units to deal with. Seems like a solid buy with infinite FOCs.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 28, 2014

• Locked thread