Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Isn't X/Y the same in that it's based off the first gen Pokemon?

No, not at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

Isn't that Pokemon a remake of what most fans consider the worst set of games? And when has Pokemon caused a huge influx of buyers twice in as many years?

Honestly, the moment I lost faith in Nintendo was after buying the 3DS, the only games worth buying were all remakes. There's only so many times I can play Zelda: OoT before I'm done with you as a company. It's an absolute shame because as a kid born in the 80's, Nintendo defined so many of my childhood memories.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Fremry posted:

Honestly, the moment I lost faith in Nintendo was after buying the 3DS, the only games worth buying were all remakes. There's only so many times I can play Zelda: OoT before I'm done with you as a company. It's an absolute shame because as a kid born in the 80's, Nintendo defined so many of my childhood memories.

Now the 3DS is flooded with phenomenal original titles so it's alright, the 3DS was pretty lovely for its first year.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Fremry posted:

Remakes are a pretty safe and cheap investment though, especially when a large portion of the target market never played the original (which is 16 years old now).

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

deadwing posted:

Now the 3DS is flooded with phenomenal original titles so it's alright, the 3DS was pretty lovely for its first year.

Yeah, I know. I picked it up for the first time in a couple years 2 months ago, and have since bought and enjoyed a few games, but I feel like everytime I turn around, they are remaking an old game. They need to stop that and put the money and resources into new IP, or at the very least, supplement their hardware R&D.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mattavist posted:

No, not at all.

Okay, I wasn't actually sure.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Fremry posted:

The crazy thing is that if they had waited like, six months, you would probably have had more faith than ever. Also a second circle pad because, come on.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

deadwing posted:

Every console is lovely for the first year.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Astro7x posted:

Every console is lovely for the first year.

It's the years after the first year that are also lovely you have to worry about.

Also Dreamcast is immune to first year poo poo systems. It had games when it came to America.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Fremry posted:

It's the definitive version of OOT, soon enough I won't actually have to keep around an N64, once they re-make Majoras Mask, and Paper Mario. Also sorry you missed out on a pretty slick library of games that are on the 3DS right now dude.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ohtsam posted:

Remakes are a pretty safe and cheap investment though, especially when a large portion of the target market never played the original (which is 16 years old now).
They're a good investment for companies, but for a lot of people who put in a lot of time gaming(and thus probably have played the originals) they're real lame. So it is still lovely for a lot of people to have a catalog of mostly remakes.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

IronicDongz posted:

a catalog of mostly remakes.

doesn't the 3DS have 2?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's the years after the first year that are also lovely you have to worry about.

Also Dreamcast is immune to first year poo poo systems. It had games when it came to America.

That's because it was essentially just their standard arcade board in some plastic, much like the Neo Geo, and they could port a ton of games near instantaneously. That was a very good decision when they basically needed to release a new system and do it yesterday.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

greatn posted:

That's because it was essentially just their standard arcade board in some plastic, much like the Neo Geo, and they could port a ton of games near instantaneously. That was a very good decision when they basically needed to release a new system and do it yesterday.

They also had almost a year from the Japanese release to get games ready for North America.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

doesn't the 3DS have 2?

I can think of a whole 3 off the top of my head. And those were all around the beginning of the handheld's life so obviously nothing has changed in the interim.

Edit VVV:

Motto posted:

I know OOT3D and Starfox 3D, but I can't recall a third. There's a 3DS Ace Combat game that's a remake of 2, but we're talking about nintendo developed ones here, right?

Snake Eater 3D, even though that wasn't Nintendo.

Chieves fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 28, 2014

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Updated ports aren't a big deal, considering they're typically done by teams unrelated to the development of original games.

Chieves posted:

I can think of a whole 3 off the top of my head. And those were all around the beginning of the handheld's life so obviously nothing has changed in the interim.

I know OOT3D and Starfox 3D, but I can't recall a third. There's a 3DS Ace Combat game that's a remake of 2, but we're talking about nintendo developed ones here, right?

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 28, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fulchrum posted:

Isn't that Pokemon a remake of what most fans consider the worst set of games?

The biggest thing people hated about Ruby and Sapphire was that you couldn't import any of your old Pokemon. That's a problem that doesn't exist with the new games.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Austrian mook posted:

doesn't the 3DS have 2?

Star Fox 64 3D
Ocarina of Time 3D
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

The GBA had A LOT of remakes as they were able to bring SNES games to the portable console, plus they did that whole classic NES deal with 10 classic games.

Motto posted:

Updated ports aren't a big deal, considering they're typically done by teams unrelated to the development of original games.

Weren't both DKC Returns games done by Retro?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Aren't we talking about ports, not remakes? All OOT3D did was insert better models and include the Master Quest version, and DKCR is a port with some extra levels and an easy mode.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Motto posted:

Aren't we talking about ports, not remakes? All OOT3D did was insert better models and include the Master Quest version, and DKCR is a port with some extra levels and an easy mode.

I was pretty happy to play a version of OOT that doesn't look like loving garbage.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Motto posted:

OOT3D had a vastly improved inventory system as well. Apart from the improved models, the framerate is much higher, and the music is remastered. And the developers went to the trouble to replicate the most famous glitches and sequence breaks in the new engine.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

And the developers went to the trouble to replicate the most famous glitches and sequence breaks in the new engine.

It was based on the old codebase, and they poorly patched out most of the glitches. You can still do a rod steal in that game. They patched out the ways to perform it, but the base trick is still there, with all the same side effects.

Additionally, glitches that have been found afterwards, like Wrong Warping, are still in the 3DS engine. It would be a giant coincidence if they managed to code the cutscene triggers in the exact same way, with the exact same room ordering.

Some places you could clip through before now just have a rock awkwardly placed there, but you can still clip through them. There were lots of poor attempts to fix some of the glitches.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I still to this day am amazed that developers try to patch out anything but really annoying or game-breaking glitches.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hm I had read that they put stuff like bomb jumping in on purpose.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Star Fox 64 3D
Ocarina of Time 3D
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

The GBA had A LOT of remakes as they were able to bring SNES games to the portable console, plus they did that whole classic NES deal with 10 classic games.

Weren't both DKC Returns games done by Retro?

Monster Games did DKCR:3D if I recall correctly.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Austrian mook posted:

I still to this day am amazed that developers try to patch out anything but really annoying or game-breaking glitches.

Uh, why?

greatn posted:

Hm I had read that they put stuff like bomb jumping in on purpose.

That was people speculating on why the glitches were still there.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Some bugs were intentionally replicated.

quote:

Moriya: We sped up revealing it and had Ikuta-san and others try out parts of it. We would ask how it differed from what they had imagined, and then we would fix it. One conflict arose when, as programmers, we wanted to get rid of bugs. But the staff members who had played the old game said the bugs were fun! We were like, "What?!" (laughs)

Iwata:Yes, that is an area of conflict.

Moriya:It wouldn't be fun if your friends couldn't say, "Do you know about this?" So we left them in if they didn't cause any trouble and were beneficial.

Iwata: So you implemented them as you would specs, rather than treating them like bugs. It took some work and you had to go out of your way, but you preserved the spirit of the original.

Moriya: Yes. If something simply could not be allowed to stand, we begrudgingly fixed it, so some bugs don't appear, but we left in as many as we could, so people will grin over that.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/3/1

edit:
Because if they're things that won't affect normal play and allow players to do tricks, why bother? I've seen people complain about bugs that allowed sequence breaking in Metroid Prime being removed in later versions of the game.

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 28, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Some of the out of bounds glitches in the Metroid Prime games can put your saves in uncompletable states, but you have to go pretty far down the rabbit hole.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Motto posted:

Because if they're things that won't affect normal play and allow players to do tricks, why bother?

Because you're a programmer with basic respect for doing things right? If you see a visible glitch that initially appears harmless, it can easily end up meaning the game eventually crashes, or progress is lost, or it becomes impossible for the player to finish whatever area they're in. So you go ahead and patch that up because it means you're probably saving yourself from a truly game breaking bug coming from it.

That's why the ones left in usually require some pretty strange input sequences to do - even if they're easy to do, people usually wouldn't think them up on their own even if they're paid game testers.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

The biggest thing people hated about Ruby and Sapphire was that you couldn't import any of your old Pokemon. That's a problem that doesn't exist with the new games.

Yeah, as a region and as a game Hoenn is remembered fondly. I don't know how fans felt on launch day, I was too cool for Pokémon then.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I just don't get people being happy about remakes in a series that gets new games fairly regularly.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The main gripe about R/S is that's when they hit the "50 bajillion water pokemon" problem. Otherwise it was solid.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

Because you're a programmer with basic respect for doing things right? If you see a visible glitch that initially appears harmless, it can easily end up meaning the game eventually crashes, or progress is lost, or it becomes impossible for the player to finish whatever area they're in. So you go ahead and patch that up because it means you're probably saving yourself from a truly game breaking bug coming from it.

That's why the ones left in usually require some pretty strange input sequences to do - even if they're easy to do, people usually wouldn't think them up on their own even if they're paid game testers.

I've always wondered how the first person to do it figured out Missingno.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Fulchrum posted:

I've always wondered how the first person to do it figured out Missingno.

It's not unthinkable you'd run into weird things on that coastline by accident. The deduction of talking to the old man who catches the Weedle to get the proper thing to appear is a pretty huge leap of logic, but realizing that there's something seriously wrong with that coast is not unlikely at all.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Missingno would be the best left field smash character. For his Final Smash he can corrupt the game, fill the screen with bullshit, and give all opponents like a 50/50 shot at surviving.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE loving MOON posted:

Missingno would be the best left field smash character. For his Final Smash he can corrupt the game, fill the screen with bullshit, and give all opponents like a 50/50 shot at surviving.

So just like most Final Smashes.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

So just like most Final Smashes.

but all glitchy and cool

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Bruceski posted:

The main gripe about R/S is that's when they hit the "50 bajillion water pokemon" problem. Otherwise it was solid.

It was more "trumpets and Tentacool", since that's all you normally saw.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Here are the hardware numbers posted:

1. Nintendo 3DS LL – 20,304
2. PS Vita –13,334
3. Wii U – 8,858
4. PS4 – 7,387
5. PS3 – 7,383
6. Nintendo 3DS – 4,711
7. PSP – 1,201
8. PS Vita TV – 762
9. Xbox 360 – 104

Take that, PS4lures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

greatn posted:

Take that, PS4lures.

Another bad week for the Vita (2nd worst since October after last week, right before the new SKU launch), not great for the 3DS either.

We assuming that bump on the Wii U is MK8 business? It's up ~34% on the back of no software in the top 20 so it's either that or a price change that I don't know anything about.

ed: missed a week

Edmund Honda fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 28, 2014

• Locked thread