Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
I'm watching Exile Island for the first time and :lol: at everyone in Aras' alliance except him choosing to eat burgers over competing in the immunity challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Mercaptopropyl posted:

I'm watching Exile Island for the first time and :lol: at everyone in Aras' alliance except him choosing to eat burgers over competing in the immunity challenge.

Man, I keep being reminded of how Exile Island was such a funny season in ways and that I should rewatch it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Casaya was such a glorious shitshow. BobDawg gets booted for drinking, and then there's every single interaction between Courtney and everybody else (especially Bruce's rock garden).

And Shane's BlackBerry. And Shane bumming a smoke from a random villager.

What a fantastic season.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Don't forget Shane and Aras finding a kilo of cocaine washed up on the beach. Plus their plan to hide it in the jungle and take a bump before challenges for the burst of energy.

Cutting that out was the worst decision the editors ever made.

Edit: If you haven't heard that story it's worth listening to the RHAP with Shane Powers where he tells it.

http://robhasawebsite.com/shane-powers-interview-survivor-exile-island/

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Finally got caught up RHAP. This was featured in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCI5FWSajJw

What does the Llama say?

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
I've been rewatching a lot of the older seasons, and the show is so different. The editing and locations are probably the biggest difference, and the way people play. Just finished S6: Amazon, and I think Matt should have won. If Rob had managed to get in the final 2, then he should have, but out of Jenna and Matt, Matt played better. Even his jury answers and statements were pretty good.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Spatula City posted:

This is probably the most accurate description of the Tony Experience(TM). Except that neither Russell or Rob were ever as frantic as Tony, so you'd need to add in the essence of a legendarily hyperactive player, somebody who is terminally terrified they will be voted for and furious when their name is written down.
So... Monica Culpepper?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Maybe even Ozzy.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Tyree posted:

I've been rewatching a lot of the older seasons, and the show is so different. The editing and locations are probably the biggest difference, and the way people play. Just finished S6: Amazon, and I think Matt should have won. If Rob had managed to get in the final 2, then he should have, but out of Jenna and Matt, Matt played better. Even his jury answers and statements were pretty good.

He wasn't very well liked, Jenna played a much better social game. They all knew he was rich. There are a number of reasons Matt didn't win really.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
Just caught up on the season

That was just good times all round - from all the bitter jury blow ups over Tony's swearing on various loved ones, dead ones, inanimate objects etc to Woo taking the clear favourite to win because he was just so chilled that he wouldnt even be bummed to lose a million bucks over it. Also I was starting to question whether Cass was getting the supreme villain edit until multiple contestants called her a goat - while she was there to hear it. Good riddance I really hope she never comes back again.

I dont know about back to back newbie seasons though - if and when they do the next returnees I hope they bring back Malcolm and "I throw stuff good" Reynold and ofcourse Spencer.

Spencer was so fun to watch - he showed so much emotion and kept his mouth shut when he needed to; also the best scrambler ever.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Jedimastafez posted:

Spencer was so fun to watch - he showed so much emotion and kept his mouth shut when he needed to; also the best scrambler ever.

and by that you mean Tony, right? :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Met posted:

and by that you mean Tony, right? :colbert:

Tony didn't need to scramble, Spencer shoulda been dead from the final 10 and he still made it to final 4.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Rarity posted:

Tony didn't need to scramble, Spencer shoulda been dead from the final 10 and he still made it to final 4.
Yeah, but that was really because he won a few immunities and because Tony was leading the other tribe.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
VICE just posted a story about Shane Powers having a drunk emotional breakdown. It includes nude photos.

:nws: http://www.vice.com/read/i-photographed-a-former-survivor-contestant-at-the-lowest-point-in-his-life :nws:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

See, Jeff, this is what happens when you don't bring back people who should have been back a long time ago. See also: Todd.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Aerox posted:

VICE just posted a story about Shane Powers having a drunk emotional breakdown. It includes nude photos.

:nws: http://www.vice.com/read/i-photographed-a-former-survivor-contestant-at-the-lowest-point-in-his-life :nws:

This is freaking awesome.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
If anyone missed the Spencer RHAP appearance it's well worth a listen. He came off as really humble and obviously a huge fan of both Survivor and RHAP. He did an excellent job of analyzing the flaws in his game and theorizing about ways he could have played things differently. He also does the best Tony impression I've ever heard. It's pretty much everything you'd want in a season wrap up podcast.

Loads of great little behind the scenes stories too. Apparently Tony liked to wake up the camera guys in the middle of the night, go dig up his idol and have a conversation with the idol on camera. He was even nuttier and more awesome than they portrayed on the show.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Aerox posted:

I like Shane but that's pretty much appalling.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

BGrifter posted:

If anyone missed the Spencer RHAP appearance it's well worth a listen. He came off as really humble and obviously a huge fan of both Survivor and RHAP. He did an excellent job of analyzing the flaws in his game and theorizing about ways he could have played things differently. He also does the best Tony impression I've ever heard. It's pretty much everything you'd want in a season wrap up podcast.

Loads of great little behind the scenes stories too. Apparently Tony liked to wake up the camera guys in the middle of the night, go dig up his idol and have a conversation with the idol on camera. He was even nuttier and more awesome than they portrayed on the show.
Spencer also gave Tasha's rational for not voting for Tony. Apparently he was a bit of a baby about her late game efforts to try and manufacture an alliance of women, and did some heavy handed, insulting stuff to silence her. It was at a time he already had the upper-hand and didn't need to play like that. He managed other players well enough that it didn't hurt him too much, but it's a small knock on his social game (I think she would otherwise respect his game). Tasha's frustration is understandable because Garrett also tried to do the same poo poo. You kind of have to let other players play if you want their vote/support.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Thanks, I'll check it out

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Jedimastafez posted:

I dont know about back to back newbie seasons though - if and when they do the next returnees I hope they bring back Malcolm and "I throw stuff good" Reynold and ofcourse Spencer.

The next returnee season is probably going to be next spring for Season 30!

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
from what Probst has said, season 30 is probably going to be either all returnee or half n' half. Seems like they were considering another All-Star season, then when they found a great cast for Cagayan, realized they could still do good newbie seasons.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
That article about Shane :stare:

I just finished Redemption Island and almost hate it more than Thailand. The only good thing it had was Phil and his horrible lovely underwear. I went to see if he really is a former federal agent but apparently he comes back in a few seasons, so I will wait until after that. :allears:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

DaisyDanger posted:

I just finished Redemption Island and almost hate it more than Thailand. The only good thing it had was Phil and his horrible lovely underwear. I went to see if he really is a former federal agent but apparently he comes back in a few seasons, so I will wait until after that. :allears:

Thailand was pretty bad, but I think RI, Nicaragua, One World, and arguably South Pacific were all worse.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Propaganda Machine posted:

Thailand was pretty bad, but I think RI, Nicaragua, One World, and arguably South Pacific were all worse.

RI, Nicaragua, One World, and SP are most definitely 150 to 200 percent worse than Thailand.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

DaisyDanger posted:

He supposedly is, but more of a paper pusher than an elite task force kind of guy. The government needs accountants and clerks too.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

I'm looking forward to hating the next few seasons in that case! Rob's plan only worked because everyone on his tribe was loving clueless about strategy and Matt was stupid enough to not side with Zapatera when he got back. Putting the HII back into the game after Ralph played it could've changed how everything went, too. It's like everyone laid down and died so Rob could win the game after three failed attempts. I don't think anyone from Ometepe had watched a single episode of Survivor before coming onto the show. It's definitely worse than Thailand now that I've had some time to think about it.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
People appreciate Rob's game but you have to remember it was his FOURTH try and they cast a bunch of people who knew nothing about the show and showed them Rob highlights and Russell lowlights to give them some background, so anything less than a win would have been stunning.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I hate Boston Rob. I hate Boston because of Boston Rob

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I'll never hate Boston Rob because of All-stars. Also he was fun on The Amazing Race. It was the 7th season, and yet he came up with unique strategies that previous contestants had never tried.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Juanito posted:

I'll never hate Boston Rob because of All-stars. Also he was fun on The Amazing Race. It was the 7th season, and yet he came up with unique strategies that previous contestants had never tried.

Having only seen a few episodes of Amazing Race here and there, what kinds of "strategies" can you even have on that show? Don't you just go from place to place doing challenges and try to be fast?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Aerox posted:

Having only seen a few episodes of Amazing Race here and there, what kinds of "strategies" can you even have on that show? Don't you just go from place to place doing challenges and try to be fast?

He faked having an earlier flight to the two weakest teams left to psych them out. This got them to hustle and find a real earlier flight to put Rob and Amber at the back of the pack :allears:

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Rarity posted:

He faked having an earlier flight to the two weakest teams left to psych them out. This got them to hustle and find a real earlier flight to put Rob and Amber at the back of the pack :allears:

There are actually people on the Amazing Race who don't, as a default, try to find early flights? :psyduck:

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Aerox posted:

That's one of the things that made his strategies even more creative. There isn't much that can usually be done.

But people will attempt to take other teams' taxis (although there might be a rule about it now), trick drivers into leaving, convince strangers to help them and not another team, or try to get people (drivers/travel agents/etc) to not share information with another team.

One of the things Boston Rob & Amber was take a penalty at a difficult challenge. So they weren't able to complete it, so they have an automatic penalty of several hours, pretty steep. So instead of rushing off to get to the mat as quick as possible, they stayed at the challenge, and worked hard to convince another team to take the penalty (their penalty time would be starting after Rob & Amber's). It worked.

And then there was the time where a few teams were combining funds to pay a driver for some reason. So Boston Rob combined the funds, and paid the driver, with the money from the other teams and none of his own.

He was a lot of fun to watch.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Rarity posted:

This is always hilarious when it happens.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Juanito posted:

Boston Rob is just a weird person to describe in Survivor terms because he's a winner but, to me, the season he was victorious is probably his least respectable (IMO) from a gameplay sense.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Aerox posted:

There are actually people on the Amazing Race who don't, as a default, try to find early flights? :psyduck:

I remember one team one season (Chad and Stephanie maybe?) who chilled out with iced coffee going "There won't be anything earlier" while all the other teams were getting something earlier. It was beautiful.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Another cool thing I remember Rob doing in Amazing Race was they were in a traffic jam and instead of sitting there pissed off, he got out of the car and saw it was some like overturned donkey truck or something and he ran over and helped the people get it back up and clear the road

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Boston Rob is just a weird person to describe in Survivor terms because he's a winner but, to me, the season he was victorious is probably his least respectable (IMO) from a gameplay sense.

No way. People bitch and moan about how weak his competition was, but he didn't make a single misstep the entire game. And he threw a clue into a volcano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

People appreciate Rob's game but you have to remember it was his FOURTH try and they cast a bunch of people who knew nothing about the show and showed them Rob highlights and Russell lowlights to give them some background, so anything less than a win would have been stunning.

I had a sneaking suspicion that something like this was the case. So producers basically set up a barrel full of fish and told Rob to go nuts? Are there any cast interviews or anything that talk about this? I'd be really interested to see them.

blue squares posted:

No way. People bitch and moan about how weak his competition was, but he didn't make a single misstep the entire game. And he threw a clue into a volcano.

I don't think he was ever given a chance to make a misstep. I doubt he even worried past the first week that he would be voted out. He was playing with people who genuinely felt like their loyalty to him was reason enough for them to win. :psyduck:

• Locked thread