Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bigzak
Aug 15, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

Are you connecting your building sites to road? Even with just one construction office, it seems things go up in flash for me.

yeah things will get to like 99% and just stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Has anyone figured out how to kill the picture-in-picture notifications automatically? Is there an option I'm missing? They're really cutting into framerate when map scrolling during modern times.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Alkydere posted:

Gah. Need more highschool graduates! You can't ever have enough highschool grads once you get to the Modern era.

I have 4 running now, all working at 275-300% efficiency and I STILL don't have enough highschool educated Tropicans, especially now that I have hydro-farms.

Yeah, you have to upgrade that stuff slowly or your economy will stall out. It's hilarious just how many more education matters in the Modern Era. I really wish there were an intermediate state between the colonial plantation and the modern hydroponics farms though; it seems a bit silly to have to wait that long just to upgrade my agricultural output. Also, is the tobacco farm upgrade worth it at all (the one that depletes soil quality massively in return for boosted efficiency)? I haven't tried it yet, but if the efficiency hit from losing the soil quality is less than the gain, then it might be worth it?

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Poil posted:

Sure. But the profits are so small and the set up cost so large. Having the docks blocked is kinda annoying too yeah. But it is really nice that you can force entertainment to be tourists only, it really helps.

More campaign spoilers, Sort of, but I have a feeling you'll fail every mission because you have to go through the other side of all the missions from the first time line.

Late campaign: It starts that way, but has one key divergence.

Also, I'm so glad I remembered the swiss lottery numbers :haw:

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Making dense cities with agriculture hosed me over because now I have to demolish them and move them farther away to consolidate my poo poo for the power plant. Thanks, Obama!

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

vandalism posted:

Making dense cities with agriculture hosed me over because now I have to demolish them and move them farther away to consolidate my poo poo for the power plant. Thanks, Obama!

Electrical substations extend the power grid.

az
Dec 2, 2005

People with bluescreen problems, make sure you have vsync on in game. The game refused to be capped at my monitor refresh rate by my gpu software nor accept forced vsync through the nvidia control panel, it would go hog wild on frames and heat up my card.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Novasol posted:

Oh man I didn't connect those but of course!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Holy poo poo, the amount of money a building makes when switched to "tourist only" mode is insane. Buildings fill up in no time and make money 2-3 times as fast as the ones your Tropicans are allowed to use.

Edit: Does the game ever end if you don't set a win condition? I'm sitting around at 2016 just twiddling my thumbs.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 27, 2014

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
So what's the deal with people being 'broke' when working in jobs that are supposed to pay them decently? I've got opera singers living in shacks next to the houses they're supposed to be living in.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

bigzak posted:

Sometimes it seems like things just won't build. Building takes forever in this game and construction crews are useless. I'm pretty much just quick building everything

Are you fighting? If you're in a battle with rebels or invaders, military structures do not build.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Right, set my game to fastest speed and waited until the autosave hit as the game flipped from Dec 2050 to Jan 2051. It seems that sandbox games do indeed not end unless you actually set a win condition. I kinda liked 3 and 4's time limit (not that they tended to be much of an actual limit).

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Making this:

Anyone want it when I finish?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I can't figure out that formula at all, could you please explain it a little more? :saddowns:

Novasol posted:

Also campaign spoiler: I'm about to start an oil focused mission after having totally succeeded with assassinating the crazy guy (with a polar bear, I was really tempted to use the naked pictures though) and I'm certainly not expecting him to show up after the next mission or so.

Yeah remembering the numbers was pretty fun. Not exactly difficult but fun. It was pretty much the same numbers an idiot would use as the code on his suitcase.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

Making this:

Anyone want it when I finish?
Footprint guides appeal to my sperg, please do.

Anyone have any examples of more "natural" looking urban planning?
I end up with a semi-grid pattern almost always and I'd like to start making layouts that offer more room for one to four square props like parks and guard towers.
I feel like every time I try I end up with a sprawled out hellhole. Is there also any penalty to mixing agriculture with residential or do pollution/beauty requirements decree separation?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is anyone else experiencing crazy input lag on some maps, where the game is running smoothly but the cursor is unusable? I think it's due to the fact that I'm using a wireless keyboard with trackpad, so it's possible that Logitech's software has some interaction with the game, but it's not happening in other titles.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

I can't figure out that formula at all, could you please explain it a little more? :saddowns:

First a simple one. Some buildings have roads built in for input or output. A grocery store does, an apartment doesn't

If a building doesn't have a road it's just a simple #x#. the first # is the shorter side.

House: 1x2
Pub: 1x3
Apartment: 2x3
Hacienda: 3x5

If there is a road imagine flipping the building so the road is pointing down. the building is always above the road. r.x.y is the formula. r just means road. x is the length of the side with the road, for y, count the squares from the left to right until you get to the square the road is on.

Parking lot: 1x3r1.1 (Road is on 1 square side.)
Logging camp 2x3r3.1 (Road is on 3 square side, far left square)
Steel Mill 2x4r4.4 (Road is on 4 square side, far right square)

p is power required.

Cannery: 3x3r3.3 p90 (3 long square, road on far right square, 90 power)

So try and guess what this building looks like:

?????: 3x6r6.4 p110

[_|_|_|_|_|_]
[_|_|_|_|_|_]
[_|_|_|_|_|_]
...........R

Vehicle Factory, 110 power

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ah, I see. Thanks. Turns out it was the dot that really confused me. :)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hambilderberglar posted:

Anyone have any examples of more "natural" looking urban planning?

If you're going from colonial->modern, start in the colonial era with smaller blocks (no more than 8x8) on a grid with important buildings recieving special highlights, and especially a plaza in a cental location such as right in front of the palace. I like the look of an 8x8 block with mansions around the edges and four large gardens inside. Put gardens everywhere. Concentrate all of your development in a small area then grow outward, not placing curvy roads until the modern era. This should simulate the look.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_the_Indies#Examples:_town_planning

My current sandbox island has an 'old town' with a plaza in front of the palace and a strip of gardens cutting through blocks from the palace gates to the gate of a colonial fort. To one side I have middle class housing district and the industrial district/dockyards further away. To the other side is government buildings, nice leafy streets for rich people, and the 'new town' of curvy roads and skyscrapers. Behind the palace are more middle/lower class housing and farms stretching out to a couple of rural villages. The old town has a rigid gridiron street pattern with random alleyways, the new town conforms to the geography and has nice curvy streets.

e: When you first start the game, lay out a street grid. It's way easier to make a nice looking town by filling out a grid rather than trying to impose order on an organic jumble of buildings.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 27, 2014

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is there a rule of thumb or an overlay that shows just how far is too far for Tropicans to walk to their jobs? I'm sure I can mitigate their tendency to build shacks instead of grabbing open housing if I can have a visual guide where to build towns outside of the city proper.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Popular Thug Drink posted:

If you're going from colonial->modern, start in the colonial era with smaller blocks (no more than 8x8) on a grid with important buildings recieving special highlights, and especially a plaza in a cental location such as right in front of the palace. I like the look of an 8x8 block with mansions around the edges and four large gardens inside. Put gardens everywhere. Concentrate all of your development in a small area then grow outward, not placing curvy roads until the modern era. This should simulate the look.

My current sandbox island has an 'old town' with a plaza in front of the palace and a strip of gardens cutting through blocks from the palace gates to the gate of a colonial fort. To one side I have middle class housing district and the industrial district/dockyards further away. To the other side is government buildings, nice leafy streets for rich people, and the 'new town' of curvy roads and skyscrapers. Behind the palace are more middle/lower class housing and farms stretching out to a couple of rural villages. The old town has a rigid gridiron street pattern with random alleyways, the new town conforms to the geography and has nice curvy streets.

e: When you first start the game, lay out a street grid. It's way easier to make a nice looking town by filling out a grid rather than trying to impose order on an organic jumble of buildings.

This sounds really cool. I'm really dumb at planning and always quit in city builders because nothing looks like I wanted it to :downs: Do you have screenshots of that island?

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I usually run streets around my palace and start two axes of development from there, with the prominent buildings like my first library, college(s), embassies and so on being close around, i'd like to achieve some sort of national-mall style deal, I'm just not sure how I should fill in the space in front of my Palace. Country houses seem a bit.. gauche and my poors can't quite afford mansions. The first industrial buildings (sawmills) go close to the coast, both so their poo poo can be easily loaded onto the docks, and because the sand usually has poo poo for fertility and beauty anyway so I can pollute the dickens out of it.

I'm trying to achieve what you more or less describe with a semi authentic looking old town centered around the palace and the colonial/great war buildings of prominence, with some suitable housing and civic buildings jammed in there. When you say alleyways do you mean purposefully dead-ended streets or just vacant lots of greenery?
One of the load screens also seems to have a neat little semi-roundabout with a park looking dealie in it that I'm trying to mimick but failing at.

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 27, 2014

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I've only ever been to Nassau and I usually design my islands around that place. It's a very grid-style urban downtown center where government, economy and education happen. The grid spills out a few blocks for residential and churches at which point it's all built inward from a highway that follows the coast profile where the inland road is so poorly designed that it's still faster to take the circuitous perimeter route.

poo poo looks great to me!

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Hmmm, what button do I press...

The writing is just great overall again, though I do miss all the faction heads and Penultimo doing the radio with them. The new radio host isn't all bad though; I kinda like her bubbly optimism.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hambilderberglar posted:

I'm trying to achieve what you more or less describe with a semi authentic looking old town centered around the palace and the colonial/great war buildings of prominence, with some suitable housing and civic buildings jammed in there. When you say alleyways do you mean purposefully dead-ended streets or just vacant lots of greenery?

Random odd streets breaking up the boring grid without compromising it. And I usually just ring my plaza area with fancy colonial/WW era stuff for that authentic old city feel.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Magni posted:

Hmmm, what button do I press...

The writing is just great overall again, though I do miss all the faction heads and Penultimo doing the radio with them. The new radio host isn't all bad though; I kinda like her bubbly optimism.

She is like an uneducated Miss Pineapple. And Veneno is a nice counter to the abuse from Betty Boom.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Guildencrantz posted:

This sounds really cool. I'm really dumb at planning and always quit in city builders because nothing looks like I wanted it to :downs: Do you have screenshots of that island?

I just rerolled the island because I burned through all my minebles in the world war era.

http://i.imgur.com/cuZTRld.png

Three forts because I wanted to fight for independence. Left fort will be torn down for industry. Center fort will stay. Right fort will eventually become rich people and offices town. You can see a village going up in the rear. I'm going to put banks and embassies behind the palace. Here is a detail of the central plaza.

http://i.imgur.com/x6HHBfo.png

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nice, I like seeing people's pictures of pretty cities. In T4 I was absolutely obsessed with pretty "realistic" towns.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I've found that making a off-split surrounded by ranches is a rather easy thing to make self-efficient. You can leave a space between the building and the road and have 2 or 3 tiles left inbetween, perfect to line with self-sufficient country houses, a garage and a tavern to keep them happy. Only thing they need is some teamsters to come through every now and then.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Anyone know of any quick "Tropico For Beginners" vids? This is my first Tropico game, and the amount of info on everything is a bit overwhelming. I get the basic mechanics of the game, but the meta-game of what to build when, what stuff is a priority and what isn't, and keeping people happy is still new to me. The last (and only) real strategy game I ever spent serious time with was Anno 1404, and everything is a lot simpler and more streamlined in that game compared with Tropico.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Anyone know of any quick "Tropico For Beginners" vids? This is my first Tropico game, and the amount of info on everything is a bit overwhelming. I get the basic mechanics of the game, but the meta-game of what to build when, what stuff is a priority and what isn't, and keeping people happy is still new to me. The last (and only) real strategy game I ever spent serious time with was Anno 1404, and everything is a lot simpler and more streamlined in that game compared with Tropico.

Just focus first on things that make you money, then things that make people happy. You can check both from the almanac. Seriously check the almanac often, it gives you lots of information. At first, drop plenty of plantations to export cash crops. In the colonial era the only industry you have is Logs->Planks, which sell for as much as Cocoa. Exploit the trade menu as much as you can to get the best deals on your good, but nothing beats raw output.

In the World War era, you have access to either Cigar or Rum factories. Build whichever your island grows the most of, Tobacco or Sugar. Once you have a few of these you'll have a lot more money to screw around with.

Don't be afraid to go into debt. You can spend up to -$10k on buildings, and traditionally -$20k nets you budgetary caps and -$50k is a game over. I haven't gone that far yet, but you don't have to stop spending at $0 in your treasury.

A good first build order in colonial era is:

3-4 cash crop plantations - ideally cocoa, then if that's not viable grow tobacco, sugar, whatever.
1 food source - corn plantation or cattle ranch should do the trick.
4-6-? country houses, to shelter the people and provide them with food.
Grocery, mission, tavern, to meet the people's needs.
Mansions if you can afford it, to boost housing happiness. Either that or a Library to start research.

From there just check to see what your people are suffering from and build things to correct it. Or just be a brutal dictator and have enough military to fight off the rebels and not give a poo poo.

The main thing is not to neglect your core economic infrastructure - resources, factories, teamsters, docks, construction workers. Make sure you are producing or importing enough primary resources. Make sure that you have lots of factories to produce goods. Make sure you have plenty of teamsters to move the goods - click around and if you see lots of buildings with surplus output waiting to get picked up, build more teamsters. Make sure you have enough docks to attract frequent ships to sell your goods. And make sure you have enough construction workers to build structures within a few months.

Pay high wages if you're going the nice guy benevolent leader route. Higher wages leads to higher efficiency.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Finished my Footprint guide!
Post it anywhere you want and don't worry about crediting me, I don't care.

Image:

(the text in the graphic is gone in the image but there in the file)

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 28, 2014

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
The only thing I'd change is put research slightly higher. I like getting Mine Tech earlier than that.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Thanks! The screenshots were illuminating as well, kind of surprised you picked that island, I found it to be so goddamn skinny I figured there's no way I'd be able to get Hong Kong 2.0 going.
Looks like I built my villa/garden block a little differently than your screenshot ended up looking but it's still banging as hell and fits with the high-falutin' aura I want my palace surroundings to have.

How much does a single source of food feed? Farms appear to be larger than in previous tropicos but they also seem to yield a lot more. I've also tried experimenting with some basic industry to find out a good ratio between the two but I'm not quite there yet, same with teamsters.
Some of my producers will have a perpetual backlog of output waiting to be picked up even though I (think) I have enough teamsters. Surely four teamsters should be able to adequately serve two fishing docks, two plantations, two mines, three lumberjacks and two sawmills? They're more or less evenly spaced so that there's a teamsters office "close" to one or the other. Is it because I'm not yet running (enough) cars that the hand carts will never be fast enough?

^^
Library is probably the first thing I plop down, if only to get the three college workers I start with doing something useful instead of having a guy with a Ph.D being a teamster or sharecropper.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I learned quite a few things about military in the latest campaign mission I played.

1. Rebels can spawn at multiple locations and they seem to always spawn within a short distance of their target.
2. The space center is a valid target.
3. Having the space center far away from the main town is not a good idea and it's better to plop it down in a suburb :jeb:
4. The space center is as sturdy against damage as a ranch.
5. After destroying their intended target rebels attack the palace (not always?).
6. Your army will spread out and protect the targeted buildings by hanging around outside them and never hunts down rebels despite vastly superior numbers.
7. It takes a very very long time for rebels to cross from one end of the island to the other.
8. Fighter jets from the carrier have tremendously poor aim even when upgraded, but the splash damage makes up for it a little bit. Expect maybe one direct hit missile every third bombing run.
9. You probably NEVER want to enable fire at will unless it's the last resort to protect the palace since the jets will likely be doing more damage than anything else in the game.

I suspect that you want to place your army stuff a bit spread out but in clusters of at least two, because even if you can win 2v2 against the rebels you might not win two 2v1. Same with guard towers, a single one will only slow down an attacking squad rather than defeat it. I think the right to arm bears increases rebel strength by more than it increases your soldiers strength.

This game could really use an airbase building, possibly unique, that launches a couple of attack helicopters with machine guns. Maybe an upgrade to get a fire fighter heli too.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
I just hope a patch drastically increases tank speeds so they aren't slower than infantry.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Palleon posted:

I just hope a patch drastically increases tank speeds so they aren't slower than infantry.

It would also probably be best if they decreased the number of tanks to 1 or 2 per squad, because they are constantly clip through each other. Like, I've never seen a tank squad not look all screwy.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Or, you know, jeeps for the barracks. Pretty sure by 1970 no soldier crosses half the country on foot for deployment.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Yeah didn't they have jeeps in previous Tropicos? Yet another place where they made a step backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Jeeps were only used in the previous game for out of combat stuff iirc.

• Locked thread