Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
what's the best way to deepen a control cavity with a power drill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

booshi posted:

I got sidetracked with a project guitar I'm working on to do on board effects with an arduino that can be modified through soft pots, photoresistors, etc and generate tones too. It's been a bitch to get the Arduino sampling properly but it works. It's been a bunch of fun and kinda eaten up my time. That and getting a girlfriend (though she wants to learn electronics so it's win-win).

But, I literally have 5-6 SHO circuits built and sitting in my lab. People still want to order them? I can do some recordings and start a thread next week to take orders.

yeah do it do it do it

reallivedinosaur posted:

Buying a reliced guitar is silly, you should learn how to get nicks in your own guitar. It's pretty easy, and usually just requires you drink a few beers.

I also think it's pretty silly to buy a 30 dollar chinese knock off from Rondo for 150, upgrade it with 200 in electronics, tuners, saddles, etc - and then end up with 30 dollar guitar cost you 350. It's false economy.

That 350 goes a long way on craigslist (or on kijiji :canada:) My buddy just picked up a wine red Gibson LP Jr for 300, which is a p nice guitar, plays and sounds great. In a year when he gets sick of playing, it'll still be worth that 300.

Modifying guitars always devalues them, unless you had a known luthier to do the work. Especially when people stick active electronics into a guitar that was originally passive, it's usually an ugly destructive hack with a battery duct taped in behind the pickguard or some poo poo. Find a guitar that works right out of the box, you will be happier and live longer.

If it's just to hang on the wall go straight to china for your fake les paul. There are a zillion factories there, and if you get in touch they'll work with you. They'll put custom logos on the headstock, and such.

Hell, we should order up some dick butt special edition Les Paul goldtops.

fakeedit: goontops

goku i won't do what you tell me

e: it's also, you know, fun

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Declan MacManus posted:

goku i won't do what you tell me

e: it's also, you know, fun

i'm really tempted to record my $70 Aldi stratocaster now that it has new strings because gently caress that mindset, go cheap, buy lots of things, quantity over quality but make sure everything's different to play, don't buy like a dozen jems or some dumb poo poo

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I'm ok with reliced guitars as an income stream for White Dog Eggs so he can keep posting fun stuff

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Nobody cares about reliced guitars. If you buy a reliced guitar you probably suck at guitar.

Also, post more Paul Gilbert.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dirt posted:

this is the best video

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

muike posted:

get a plunge router

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

muike posted:

Get a hinge boring bit, put on some goggles, clamp the body down and pray to whatever you hold dear that it doesn't skid up and hit you in the face.

You should really do this;

comes along bort posted:

get a plunge router

Although if you don't want to spend that much, you could always use a spoon chisel.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Dirt posted:

this owns

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i really like tweaking my amp for an hour, getting pissed or going "good enough" then coming back to it and not knowing why i was so worried about it

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
So lately this guy has been messaging my band and a few other bands that we gig with, asking to know whether we used "all real acoustic drum notes" because he runs a facebook page for bands that don't use triggers - which is fair enough, I guess, except for the fact the he then likes to flame the poo poo out of bands that do use them. Which is pretty much every metal band, ever for the last 20 years or so.

I get the feeling that this guy has never played in a band otherwise he'd understand that not using triggered kicks is exceedingly a rarity in the metal scene, and actually forces you to play tighter because you can be heard that much better.

The funniest thing is that his genuine all acoustic drums metal page is pimping among others, the last decapitated album, which definitely uses triggered kicks at the very least. My guitarist just decided to troll the poo poo out of him

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.

Concatenation posted:

So lately this guy has been messaging my band and a few other bands that we gig with, asking to know whether we used "all real acoustic drum notes" because he runs a facebook page for bands that don't use triggers - which is fair enough, I guess, except for the fact the he then likes to flame the poo poo out of bands that do use them. Which is pretty much every metal band, ever for the last 20 years or so.

I get the feeling that this guy has never played in a band otherwise he'd understand that not using triggered kicks is exceedingly a rarity in the metal scene, and actually forces you to play tighter because you can be heard that much better.

The funniest thing is that his genuine all acoustic drums metal page is pimping among others, the last decapitated album, which definitely uses triggered kicks at the very least. My guitarist just decided to troll the poo poo out of him

Hey drum fag, this is the guitar fag thread. What the gently caress does any of this poo poo mean?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

reallivedinosaur posted:

I also think it's pretty silly to buy a 30 dollar chinese knock off from Rondo for 150, upgrade it with 200 in electronics, tuners, saddles, etc - and then end up with 30 dollar guitar cost you 350. It's false economy.

What about just using one of those 150 dollar rondo guitars mostly stock and not giving a poo poo if it gets knocked around/knowing how to repair the wiring if something gets real hosed?

cause uh, that's what i've been doing for the past 4/5 years and it hasn't failed me yet.

Seriously I didn't expect to get this much use out of that thing. Also it's a sonic blue jag body with a red tortiseshell pickguard and it's a real icebreaker cause no one owns something that cool-ugly.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Mentos Dan posted:

What the gently caress does any of this poo poo mean?

their music is sampled. totally fake. it's done by machines 'cause they don't make mistakes.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Yep. Crazy people like that are why I stopped playing in metal bands.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Concatenation posted:

Yr guitarist handled this correctly

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

i really like tweaking my amp for an hour, getting pissed or going "good enough" then coming back to it and not knowing why i was so worried about it

i love endlessly messing with settings and then just putting everything up all the way anyway.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

their lil poopers posted:

i love endlessly messing with settings and then just putting everything up all the way anyway.

My first guitar teacher taught me to set my amp by putting everything in the tone stack up to 10 and then dialing it down to taste and this has worked for as long as I have been playing guitar

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

My first guitar teacher taught me to set my amp by putting everything up to 10 and then dialing out the neighbourhood

He was truly a visionary (was he EVH?).

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Declan MacManus posted:

My first guitar teacher taught me to set my amp by putting everything in the tone stack up to 10 and then dialing it down to taste and this has worked for as long as I have been playing guitar

I sometimes do it the other way, put them at 0 then move up until it stops sounding bad

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
there's a lot of ways to tweak your amp and continue to not be happy because you're one of those piece of poo poo guitarists who other musicians hate a lot,especially drummers

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Sockington posted:

He was truly a visionary (was he EVH?).

His name was Jay Rakes and he will melt your god drat face off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9PLW9-FAQQ

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

muike posted:

there's a lot of ways to tweak your amp and continue to not be happy because you're one of those piece of poo poo guitarists who other musicians hate a lot,especially drummers

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

SOUNDS FINE TO ME says the guy whose ears are filled with 10 kHz

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'd like to see this guy as a metal band's drummer just playing all drum samples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmEhCDRvQKA&t=55s

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Declan MacManus posted:

His name was Jay Rakes and he will melt your god drat face off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9PLW9-FAQQ

that's really good but kind of wanky i'd probably ask him to tone it down at some points if it wasn't instrumental music and basically already a wankfest

i'd also add sikth style vocals but i'd do that to everthing

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

muike posted:

that's really good but kind of wanky i'd probably ask him to tone it down at some points if it wasn't instrumental music and basically already a wankfest

i'd also add sikth style vocals but i'd do that to everthing

He's a lot better than a lot of the Shrapnel/Varney crew but I know at its core that it's wanky stuff (it's okay because Jay's a super nice guy and a great teacher and besides that's his band where he's in charge of serving up steaming bowls of notemeal etc.)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
No for real it's good even for wanky stuff but it's like there's definitely points where I keep going "okay you can stop at that note"

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Snowy posted:

I'd like to see this guy as a metal band's drummer just playing all drum samples.

joke's on you pretty much every metal band's drummer is triggering samples

or just straight up software

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AYO1vg7L88

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

comes along bort posted:

It would be a lot easier to just pack an MPC on tour.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

comes along bort posted:

or just straight up software

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AYO1vg7L88

This is good grindage, brah.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
hey relic fans, here's one for ya, hahahaaaaa http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331214795467

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

i can understand loving with your equipment to get a more distorted sound but honestly what's the point if you've just broken it entirely

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

ThePutty posted:

i can understand loving with your equipment to get a more distorted sound but honestly what's the point if you've just broken it entirely

The best part is how much he wants for it.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

The description is a bit funny

quote:

Heavy relic!? Dear oh dear - here is a smashed japanese fender jaguar special that came into my possession. Early 2002/3 model I believe. A shame it's been smashed up, these are rare in this country and way better than the HH models that you mostly find these days, and have better quality parts. This is being sold as is for obvious reasons, but it's basically all there. The neck is actually in easily salvageable condition - very dinged up but working and perfectly straight. Frets have minimal wear. Comes with bent tuners, but the neck should work straight away. Body has been split in half. Large shard of wood missing. Covered in chips and dings. Smashed. Guitar has 2 dragster pick ups. Neck pick up will come with the sale but has fallen out and not part of the pictures. Much of the wiring has been ripped out but is mostly all there. The bridge is in my possession somewhere. All that seems to be missing are the input jack plate and the strap locks and most of the screws which might show up. Everything else present and accounted for. It would look pretty cool if glued back together and would make a great project or parts machine. Other than the neck I am selling this as not working and as is! Immediate payment will be required, any questions feel free to ask - Ill be as honest as possible. Postage is probably about £20, possibly more or less.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Fair Hallion posted:

hey relic fans, here's one for ya, hahahaaaaa http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331214795467

big pete shelley fan here

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Epoxy is cheap. Let's do this.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Check out my beautiful new guitar!

I dug it out of storage and slapped in some new parts and gave it a setup.
-The body is from my first guitar from -96, a Falcon strat copy. Been burned among other things, all other original parts destroyed.
-The neck and pickguard are from another strat copy that I bought drunk off a dude in early 2000, the neck has been hand sawed to fit (check that neck joint/pickguard combo)
-Pickups are Dimarzio AT-1 and Fender classic 60's (or something) on middle and neck, all bought second hand.
-New tuners and electronics.
-It plays just fine, no dead notes or anything.

aeternum
Sep 3, 2003

Concatenation posted:

What a oval office of gigantic proportion.

The trigger hate has got to be the dumbest thing in music, these idiots don't realize that triggers actually makes it harder, not easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

W424 posted:

Check out my beautiful new guitar!

I dug it out of storage and slapped in some new parts and gave it a setup.
-The body is from my first guitar from -96, a Falcon strat copy. Been burned among other things, all other original parts destroyed.
-The neck and pickguard are from another strat copy that I bought drunk off a dude in early 2000, the neck has been hand sawed to fit (check that neck joint/pickguard combo)
-Pickups are Dimarzio AT-1 and Fender classic 60's (or something) on middle and neck, all bought second hand.
-New tuners and electronics.
-It plays just fine, no dead notes or anything.

You put your SA username on your guitar. Why?

• Locked thread