Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
I can't help but feel like Jimmy is way off track on his Chicago podcast plan. The idea of him doing it with an even bigger Chicago nerd instead of a comedian or friend sounds really boring, even though Jimmy is a funny guy. Rich Sommer was totally down and I think he'd be good, or basically any other NNF regular.
But the real gem was that General Hospital podcast idea. That would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
I was assuming/hoping that was a bit I wasn't getting, because I totally agree. Matt clearly knew why it wouldn't work and Scott knows why his two "music" podcasts are so entertaining, so I'd hope they'd steer him straight on that. I guess Jimmy's thinking more along the lines of Rock Solid?

Chicago Podcast Authority is a pretty great name though.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

My guess is that Jimmy has only heard the one episode he was on where they weren't really talking about a specific album, so he assumed they must really get into it on the album episodes of YTU2TM, rather than the whole thing just being a vehicle for Adam and Scott to shoot the poo poo and be silly.
Or else he knows and yeah he just wants to do a more serious thing. The name is the part they definitely got right though.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I do not lyq myq kaplan

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

same, that one was rough

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

He's rubbed me the wrong way in past appearances (felt like he was trying too hard for wordplay that didn't need to happen, IIRC), but he was a good guest this time I thought. Matt actually got a little too much for me this episode.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Reformed Pissboy posted:

(felt like he was trying too hard for wordplay that didn't need to happen, IIRC)

I think that's his hook, since he has grad work in linguistics (hence, name change from Mike to "Myq")

I know this because he's brought it up in other podcasts before. Which is why I'm not so sure where I stand on him as a guest. As a stand-up I think he's got a few solid jokes. Can't remember them, but I think I remember enjoying one of his talk show appearances.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

urk the quack posted:

I think that's his hook, since he has grad work in linguistics (hence, name change from Mike to "Myq")

which is a completely ridiculous thing to claim as your hook as a standup. It's not like other comics aren't into wordplay and clever turns of phrase

Riptor fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 28, 2014

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I liked his appearance this week, as well as his previous one!

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Wow Jesse Thorn, that is a crazy look you've got going
I have to imagine Jimmy mentions it at some point

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Boy oh boy, 0 for 2 on the guests this week IMO

Fingers crossed next week is like, Todd Glass and PFT or something

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Todd Glass could be a good bet for Sunday since his book comes out on Tuesday
edit: skipping this one is a bad call Rip, Oliver is in the studio

Greggy fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 29, 2014

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Oh I never skip them. Even with a guest like Thorn this is my favorite podcast

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Jesse Thorn is pretty good though.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Soon as he spells his name "Jesii", I'm OUT :colbert:

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

I haven't listened to the Jesse Thorn episode yet but if it's not mentioned there, Jimmy is on Janet Varney's podcast The JV Club today :yum:

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Greggy posted:

Wow Jesse Thorn, that is a crazy look you've got going
I have to imagine Jimmy mentions it at some point

That looks like the beard of a man still coming to terms with balding.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I liked it when Oliver referred to the actor they were trying to guess as "this mystery gentleman."

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Oliver is loving awesome

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I'm new to NNF this season. What's the story behind Jimmy making fun of Chris "Mad Dog" Russo? That's a pretty obscure reference for a comedy podcast.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Jimmy likes doing the impression because he thinks the guy's voice is ridiculous. I guess there's been a lot of pushback from fans on it, probably at least partly because of how obscure it is. I've definitely never heard the real guy before.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
It only originated like 4 or 5 episodes ago, so if you've only listened this season, you know the whole story.

Edit: Oh unless you aren't a Players Club listener. It isn't much of a story. Jimmy just mentioned that he heard Mad Dog on the radio and thought he was ridiculous or something. Then he impersonated his voice for a long time and some listeners hated it.

Edit 2: beaten

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

What's the story behind Jimmy making fun of Chris "Mad Dog" Russo? That's a pretty obscure reference for a comedy podcast.
Jimmy's inability to actually do impressions leads down two paths: obscure enough that you don't know who he's doing so it doesn't matter, or so stupid it works.

Bring back Stallone in a Bottle.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

caligulamprey posted:

Bring back Stallone in a Bottle.

yeah but you are being that guy

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Actually there are no references too obscure for comedy podcasts.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?
Enjoyed the Myq Kaplan episode and although I have a dislike for Jesse Thorn I don't even undertand, Oliver carried me through the episode. It was really interesting hearing Jimmy interact with him, it was all I had ever hoped it would be.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I can't go an episode of NNF without wishing this was the theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2daXghqHgjQ

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Oliver was hysterical, it was very cute to see Jimmy interact with him and try to maintain his rear end in a top hat persona in front of his kid.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

He can dance, he can act, and he can gently caress a woman's face.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The Jessica/Lennon episode was one of my favorite episodes of the show, I think.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Sinbad today. Thought this picture on earwolf was ridiculous enough to post here.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Hollis Brown posted:

Sinbad today. Thought this picture on earwolf was ridiculous enough to post here.

It's a tiny moment, but I really liked Sinbad's story about hooking up a 300 baud modem to the hotel phone.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Sinbad was a phenomenal guest. Extremely funny...and he had such a great energy. I can't imagine not having a blast with him around.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Sinbad seems insane in the best way possible. His energy reminded me a bit of when David Alan Grier would be on loveline

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

I love Sinbad.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I guarantee you the visual I have in my mind of Sinbad getting a tour of the Zubaz factory isn't as good as what actually happened when Sinbad got a tour of the Zubaz factory. There's just no way.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

lets talk about Todd glass' episode since the forums were down. That Naturebox ad was amazing. I wish Todd did ads on his own show.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?

Conduit for Sale! posted:

lets talk about Todd glass' episode since the forums were down. That Naturebox ad was amazing. I wish Todd did ads on his own show.

I really wish we could have heard what they cut out. Todd Glass was great and so was Sinbad. Loving the 2 episodes a week.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

redz posted:

I really wish we could have heard what they cut out. Todd Glass was great and so was Sinbad. Loving the 2 episodes a week.

Both Glass and Sinbad were free episodes. The Players' Club may be great, but the same once a week option produced both episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Todd Glass going into full QVC infomercial mode is a sight to behold. He really reaches some liminal state of being as he tells you why you need these particular terrycloth towels.