Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Good lord I hate rebels. I had them destroy my steel mill which was literally about five blocks away from five army bases. Incidentally, I also had two rebel squads fend off three tank squads when the rebels had 60 attack and my tanks had something like 150.

Also, I really wish they'd make trade ships just clip through each other instead of slowing down. I get the effect they were going for, but I've got a gridlock of about fifty ships in front of my city and it's a bit of an eyesore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Dirk the Average posted:

Also, I really wish they'd make trade ships just clip through each other instead of slowing down. I get the effect they were going for, but I've got a gridlock of about fifty ships in front of my city and it's a bit of an eyesore.

:wtc: Spread out your docks all around the island, dude. Don't make one mega city, you've got a whole tropical island you can populate and then oppress.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

nutranurse posted:

:wtc: Spread out your docks all around the island, dude. Don't make one mega city, you've got a whole tropical island you can populate and then oppress.

I would, but I wanted more trade ships. As it stands, I've used up around 75% of the beach.

Regardless, the big problem with the clipping is that ships will slow down, but they'll never speed back up again. I've had isolated ships proceed along at a crawl even with nothing interfering with their movement. Then, of course, new ships run into the old buggy slow ships and slow down themselves, so the cycle just perpetuates itself. It doesn't even prevent clipping; there are so many ships that they all are clipping into each other and it's a bigger problem than it would be if they just never slowed down in the first place.

It also doesn't help that all my docks (and all my buildings that aren't houses for that matter) are at maximum budget with a maxed out tycoon leader, so ships are arriving every 3 months or so and trade ships are arriving every month (if they could, at least, most of them are tied up in gridlock).

I do need to learn to spread out more though. I tend to max out my population while using around 33% of the island. I think that's primarily because I tend to build a lot of my basic infrastructure in the colonial and early world wars era, so the limited access to cars means that I need to build a bit more compactly.

Interesting note: my dynasty has two generals in it since one of them was obtained through an event that gave me a general specifically. I wonder if I can double up on tycoons or cheapskates. I think the best dynasty possible would be a dynasty full of tycoons or cheapskates. Full cheapskates would be something like a 50% discount on every building, while full tycoons would be around +40% effectiveness to all buildings with max budget on top of having 6 maxed out tycoon managers for important facilities.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Has anyone dug into the game at all to see how moddable it is? Even something as simple as changing ship capacity so you don't need as many docks would be a godsend and fix a lot of problems.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dirk the Average posted:

I would, but I wanted more trade ships. As it stands, I've used up around 75% of the beach.

Regardless, the big problem with the clipping is that ships will slow down, but they'll never speed back up again. I've had isolated ships proceed along at a crawl even with nothing interfering with their movement. Then, of course, new ships run into the old buggy slow ships and slow down themselves, so the cycle just perpetuates itself. It doesn't even prevent clipping; there are so many ships that they all are clipping into each other and it's a bigger problem than it would be if they just never slowed down in the first place.

It also doesn't help that all my docks (and all my buildings that aren't houses for that matter) are at maximum budget with a maxed out tycoon leader, so ships are arriving every 3 months or so and trade ships are arriving every month (if they could, at least, most of them are tied up in gridlock).

I do need to learn to spread out more though. I tend to max out my population while using around 33% of the island. I think that's primarily because I tend to build a lot of my basic infrastructure in the colonial and early world wars era, so the limited access to cars means that I need to build a bit more compactly.

Interesting note: my dynasty has two generals in it since one of them was obtained through an event that gave me a general specifically. I wonder if I can double up on tycoons or cheapskates. I think the best dynasty possible would be a dynasty full of tycoons or cheapskates. Full cheapskates would be something like a 50% discount on every building, while full tycoons would be around +40% effectiveness to all buildings with max budget on top of having 6 maxed out tycoon managers for important facilities.

Also to note, the more ships on the water running into each other, the more lag the game generates. I was watching my processor increase steadily as I added docks. It was just crazy how much extra processing power is required by boats than anything else.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
I don't know wether multiple Cheapskates in the dynasty stack, but having one and a Landlord *does* stack and I very much enjoy getting a 22% discount on all residential buildings. Also putting a Lvl 5 Landlord down in the middle of my poor people neighbourhood can be pretty useful to raise housing rates.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The phrase "Level 5 Landlord" will never not be funny.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Has anyone dug into the game at all to see how moddable it is? Even something as simple as changing ship capacity so you don't need as many docks would be a godsend and fix a lot of problems.

I took a peek, within the Data archive ( just google for a tropico .hpk unpacker / archiver ) there's a lot of promising stuff.

Stuff's stored as .lua files, and I have no idea how to read them properly, though.

I do find it odd that there's a
GamepadSelectValuePreset.lua , GamePadStripPreset.lua that are just empty, though.
And a ButtonPreset.lua that's the same , maybe we'll get better support for that stuff once they've finished the console version?

All the buildings are there ripe for editing, ( Mineral deposits too. )

However, it looks like the docks are the ones responsible for shipping capacity, not ships as own entities.

If anyone figures out what the values are, it'll be easy to tweak up their capacity.

AmountToLoad 0u  ResourceCapacity 

Kinda wonder what the difference between the two are, though, I thought docks just sent off everything in storage, but now I'm not so sure.

e: But yeah, the fact that all goods just get exported is really annoying, I really hope they'll add storage facilities and better management of goods + shipping, but that's a large enough change that I'm afraid they won't implement it until the sequel, if they decide to.

( After all, the DLC stuff will probably be like in Tropico 4, just sprinkling extra stuff on top, although I must admit I didn't play Modern times much. )

SubNat fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 28, 2014

Alya
Apr 30, 2008
There's a modding thread over at the official forums that has some good stuff:

KurtisB posted:

Okay, I think I may have found it.

Try putting the following in a text file in CommonLua folder (you'll have to make that folder) in the Tropico 5 directory and rename the file to a .lua

code:
OnMsg.ClassesPreprocess = function()
    const.PopLimit = 5000
end
I was able to get 2 ships with immigrants for a total of about 90 people and got to 2100 population. This was a proof of concept test, so I didn't try to see how high I could get it.

Seems to work for me as well, got a city to over 3000 pop (on a savegame from before the change, even).

MissNet posted:

It's working. At least it working for const.MilitaryExploreCost, so I assume It will work for other constants.

Other interesting constants (defaults, all in _const.lua file (decompiled)):
const.MetroStationUseThreshold = 50 * guim
const.MetroStationWalkDistance = 100 * guim
const.BuildGridTileSize = 10 * guim
const.MaximumHouseDistance = 500 * guim
const.MigrationHappinessMaxDifference = 30
const.MigrationMaxChangeFromHappiness = 75
const.MigrationEmploymentMaxDifference = 15
const.MigrationMaxChangeFromEmployment = 100
const.MigrationRandomModification = 25
const.GarageMaxDistFromRoad = 2100
const.CitizenDiscreditCost = 5000
const.CitizenBanishCost = 1000
const.CitizenActionKill = 2000
const.DefaultBuildingHP = 3000
const.TankSpeed = 5 * guim
const.CorruptionThreshold = 20000
const.MinUnexploredRadius = 3 * const.BuildGridTileSize

MissNet posted:

Interesting hint in lua files.
DLC 1 Inquisition
DLC 2 The Big Cheese
DLC 3 T-Day
DLC 4 Madness
DLC 5 The Supercomputer
DLC 6 Surfs Up!
DLC 7 Generalissimo
DLC 8 Gone Green
DLC 9 McTropico
DLC 10 Supervillain

I've tried to decompile the lua files myself, but haven't had any luck so far (the Lua 5.1 decompiler that's around the internet doesn't work out of the box, and my C isn't good enough to fix it).

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Alya posted:

DLC 5 The Supercomputer

I actually noticed that myself when looking through stuff, it's actually got a bit of stuff already in it.

" The Tropican supercomputer is able to calculate Pi's 30000-th digit, provided this digit is 8. It was able to prove Fermat's Last Theorem with a solution so short and elegant that it could fit in the margin of a single book page. It still has some bugs in its software, but the programmers are affectionately calling them "undocumented creatures". "

:allears:

It provides RP, has a max cap amount of them you can build.
If you upgrade it with AI, you get 3 votes from it every election.

Or
" Teach the Supercomputer to play chess. Improves relations with the USSR/Russia by10 "

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
Does anyone else get weird crashes with this game? My whole system locks up, sound loops and I have to hard reset. Doesn't happen with any other game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Welp, beat the campaign. Kinda lackluster compared to Tropico 4 to be honest. The last mission wasn't particularly difficult provided you've built it up properly earlier.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm a bit sad they still plan on having all the DLC be "a single most likely over-powered building and a hat".

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Whatever DLC gave you the Labor Camp was the best DLC.

Don't do the time if you can't plant the sugar.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

I'm a bit sad they still plan on having all the DLC be "a single most likely over-powered building and a hat".

I felt that with 4's dlc, the mission was usually interesting enough to justify the price for each dlc. If you only play in sandbox mode though, I can understand the issues.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

That DLC does sound a bit disappointing, I’ll probably just wait for a big steam sale to get all of it a year from now, oh well. I do hope they have another big Modern Times’ish expansion though.

Rakosi posted:

Does anyone else get weird crashes with this game? My whole system locks up, sound loops and I have to hard reset. Doesn't happen with any other game.

I get hard freezes and even BSDs pretty often, but it may be due to my not-super-duper laptop. I’m still holding out hope for more stability through some patches.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I'm playing on a Lenovo office laptop (:ssh:) and I haven't had a single crash yet.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Poil posted:

6. Your army will spread out and protect the targeted buildings by hanging around outside them and never hunts down rebels despite vastly superior numbers.
You can sort of influence where your guys go as the attackers approach by selecting a targeted building, going to the battle info screen, and setting it to high priority. Rather than waiting for rebels or attackers to come to you (or for your army's crappy pathing to navigate from half an island away to a building that's under attack), your units will start to move to the point you've dictated.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a small issue with ready-made DLC included in the data files, as opposed to being made after the fact.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Yes it's a well beaten horse by now, started by a horse wearing armour that you could beat. Let's not go there.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

Yes it's a well beaten horse by now, started by a horse wearing armour that you could beat. Let's not go there.

You can download a flail to beat the horse with, for only $0.99

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

So I started with 200 people and unlimited cash on Punta de whatever and this is now the second game where I'm not seeing the revolt mission pop up. Is this working as designed? My last sandbox game I just ran out of mandate time without being able to advance.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Hambilderberglar posted:

So I started with 200 people and unlimited cash on Punta de whatever and this is now the second game where I'm not seeing the revolt mission pop up. Is this working as designed? My last sandbox game I just ran out of mandate time without being able to advance.

Did you get happiness to 50%?

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Sedisp posted:

Did you get happiness to 50%?
49%! Thanks a lot, I'm an idiot.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I had a tsunami, which turned the screen black and crashed the game. Had to alt+f4 out. The mouse cursor and music kept working fine though. Time to restart with disasters turned from rare to off. :sigh:

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

I'm playing on a Lenovo office laptop (:ssh:) and I haven't had a single crash yet.

What's the specs on it out of curiosity? Mine is a Lenovo too; i5, 6 gigs of ram and a 1 gig nvidia video card. It ran 4 maxed out for hours on end with no problem, but 5 is making it poo poo the bed constantly. :mad:

vv drat :ohdear:

poopzilla fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 28, 2014

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
I got 8 gigs of ram, i7-4710MQ 2.50, and a gtx 860m.

Tried playing twice now and am only greeted with system lockups within ten minutes.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Okay, I gotta break a lance for the new radio host: The announcement for a Tsunami is great. She does the same "Surf's Up!" thing as Sunny did in 4, but the delivery of the whole line is just perfect. :allears:

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
What traits do you guys recommend on your guy? I was a Foreman but I don't think it was helping me out too much.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I went with environmentalist for the sweet island-wide pollution reduction. You want a presidente with a strong global bonus but the manager bonus doesn't matter because you'll never be able to use it. So maybe a weak manager bonus so it doesn't feel as bad when you have to waste it. No idea if anyone has compiled a list of the traits somewhere yet though.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
By the way, I've had nothing but praise for this title, except for one aspect - the music. The instruments aren't real this time, they're synthesized, at least that is how it sounds. Also there are no vocals. So I got my hands on the music for Tropico 1, Tropico 1's Expansion, Tropico 3, and Tropico 4, and run them all in the background on a random loop while playing. It's so much better.

Tropico 2 had like jungle pirate music, and it never existed anyway, so I left it out of the mix.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm really liking the quest chains for the crown in the colonial era. The first quests from the capitalist woman in the war eras is pretty good too. Isn't it wonderful that everyone wants to nuke each other? Let's sell them some uranium and push up the price. Even though she doesn't wear a top hat I still like her a lot more than whathisname from Tropico 4.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Alya posted:

DLC 1 Inquisition
DLC 2 The Big Cheese
DLC 3 T-Day
DLC 4 Madness
DLC 5 The Supercomputer
DLC 6 Surfs Up!
DLC 7 Generalissimo
DLC 8 Gone Green
DLC 9 McTropico
DLC 10 Supervillain

Taking another round through, I'm pretty sure all the DLC buildings are in the files somewhere, although most of them don't have anything more than a placeholder.

Future buildings to look forwards to.

Unsure which DLC they're related to:
Police Blimp
Ranger Corps
Asylum
Bathysphere
Security Checkpoint
Spy Academy
Supermax Prison
Smugglers Dock
Dungeons
Drone Control
Fast Food Joint
Fishing Trawler.
Giant Laser
Glass Bottom Restaurant
Inquisition
Mechanized Garrison
Nuclear Submarine
Offshore Office
Oil Platform
Oyster Farm

Creamery (dlc2, Cheese making plant, it seems? )

Dolphinarium (dlc6, )

DefenceHQ ( The Hexagon :allears: ) ( dlc 7)

Gone Green DLC?
Tidal Power Plant
Wind Farm
Recycling Plant

It honestly looks like the DLCs contain multiple buildings each, for different eras.
Atleast, it seems far more promising than just 1 building + something else.

e: Still. DUNGEON. Hopefully it's as good as it sounds.
e2: + the Supercomputer, of course.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 28, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It could of course be some things that were scrapped but they left traces of them behind.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

quote:

Drone Control

I can already see it, you can win elections because your opponent suffered a lamentable case of Missile Out Of Nowhere. :allears:

Magni fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 28, 2014

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Poil posted:

It could of course be some things that were scrapped but they left traces of them behind.

Each file actually has a tag for REQUIRED DLC: , and a couple even mention which specific dlc they're tied to.

It might be scraps left over yes, but it seems odd that all of them are tied to DLCs in that case.

It's not impossible that they caught enough flack over the tiny DLCs from Tropico 5, that they decided to expand them a little.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SubNat posted:

Each file actually has a tag for REQUIRED DLC: , and a couple even mention which specific dlc they're tied to.

It might be scraps left over yes, but it seems odd that all of them are tied to DLCs in that case.

It's not impossible that they caught enough flack over the tiny DLCs from Tropico 5, that they decided to expand them a little.
Well, that sounds like it could be good. Doesn't hurt to hope. That's the Tropico way.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
So I completed the campaign today so I figured I'd drop in and share my thoughts on the game so far.

On the whole, I like it. The core gameplay is the Tropico I've come to know and love from playing 3 & 4. The humour's there, always nice to get up to some whacky dictatorial shenanigans. Exporting uranium during the cold war behind the UN's back was fun, especially when they caught me so I started to smuggle it out disguised as canned goods. Until some of the cans accidentally got sent as food aid to a starving nation. Oops!
The new system of building managers was a nice addition, allowing me to fine tune key points of my economy. Send a landlord to run the tavern in the middle of a housing district, an environmentalist in my industrial zone and celebrities for my most expensive hotels. The dynastic system was fun, too. Extra managers, and they all add their global bonuses in addition to their deployment skills.
On the down side, it's mostly cosmetic. The UI could use some de-obfuscation. There are places where it was much easier to get information out of the earlier games than this one. The soundtrack's disappointing compared to 3 & 4 as well, all midi-fied instrumentals. I still miss Gata Loca (or whatever it's called, you know the one). Most of all, the characters are lacking. Tropico 4 had a large cast of colourful caricatures that really helped bring the game to life. Outside of Leon Kane, the new DJ and the return of Penultimo, nobody really made much of an impression on me.
Still, things've obviously been done right, as I've already started a new dynasty in sandbox mode. Viva Tropico!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Supervillain DLC, is that a counterpoint to the old Superhero DLC for 4? Haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
The dynasty system is cool, I guess, but I really do miss picking colorful traits and backgrounds for El Presidente. It really made him/her seem like a character and not just a statistic.

• Locked thread