Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Deviant posted:

I don't recall seeing these options with that level of detail, and wasn't sure if you were using the Nvidia/AMD control panel overrides, thanks. I'd boot my game up to check, but you know.

But please, continue to be a complete rear end in a top hat about it.

Sorry, but it seemed really loving basic. Nope, I'm not using the Nvidia panel overrides at all for Watch Dogs, although I do use those for some other games. Watch Dogs though has a pretty great in-game options panel.

AA - antialiasing. Makes jaggies go away but uses tons of performance power. MSAA (2x AA, 4x AA / 2x MSAA, 4x MSAA, etc.) is the most expensive and the best, it just renders the game at a higher resolution and downsamples. Other types of AA are cheaper in performance cost but don't work quite as well. Temporal AA uses data from past frames to perform AA efficiently. FXAA is a very cheap, very very fast filter that has almost no performance hit at all but doesn't look as good, since it simply smudges the edges. This reduces visual fidelity somewhat, but also removes jaggies.

SSAO - Same Screen Ambient Occlusion. Creates little drop shadows around objects to make them sit in the game better. Extremely performance costly on your GPU, for very little effect. But does make shadows look much more "realistic" and makes the game fit together more. I almost always turn this off. HBAO is Nvidia's specific SSAO implementation, don't use it on ATI cards. HDAO is the same for AMD/ATI, dont' use it with Nvidia.

Pre-rendered Frames - this is a limit that you can set in your control panel which makes many games run better. Watch dogs is the first game I've ever seen include it as an option in the game's graphical menu, which to me means that Watch Dogs has even more issues than most games with this. Set it to 1.

Most games these days have two different video options. Watch Dogs has a "Display" settings for resolution and pre-rendered frames and I think AA, and it has a "Video Quality" or something like that option which lets you set textures, anisotropic filtering, SSAO, etc.

IF YOU ARE HAVING PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS TURN SSAO OFF COMPLETELY, TURN AA TO FXAA OR OFF COMPLETELY, AND TURN PRE-RENDERED FRAMES TO 1.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I like to think I just robbed the bank account of a freeper.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Deviant posted:

I don't recall seeing these options with that level of detail, and wasn't sure if you were using the Nvidia/AMD control panel overrides, thanks. I'd boot my game up to check, but you know.

But please, continue to be a complete rear end in a top hat about it.

They're in the graphics options in game. Along with SSAO and AA, I'd also turn off motion blur and depth of field, but mostly because I can't stand those.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Deviant posted:

What's the point of this, except to be a cock?

coyo7e posted:

What is the point of showing a screenshot of your shoddy antivirus? They can't even protect their own forum users.

Yeah I just don't know what you thought the point of it was yourself in the first place. Unless you think false positives are really rare and you didn't think we would believe you or something.

We believe you.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Zaphod42 posted:

:psyduck: No wonder console gaming is so popular.

He says, a mere day after offering a bunch of completely silly and wrong advice about computers in this very thread.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Newbie question, are 'vuln detected' objects things you should hack when you see them for hidden stuff?
Or are they just situational things just in case you are on the run at the time.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
Heh people don't know every little thing about everything ever related to PC gaming, they must be console shitlords in disguise :smug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

hopterque posted:

He says, a mere day after offering a bunch of completely silly and wrong advice about computers in this very thread.

Feel free to let me know what was completely silly.

You think 16GB-32GB RAM is gonna improve Watch Dogs performance? You're bottlenecked on your CPU and GPU and graphics-RAM at that point, not system RAM. Check out the process sometime while its running, it doesn't use that much RAM.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Heh people don't know every little thing about everything ever related to PC gaming, they must be console shitlords in disguise :smug:

I have no problem explaining SSAO to people because its very new. HBAO and HDAO in particular are confusing and new.

But loving AA and AF and resolution are things that have been the same way since loving half-life 1 in like 1999.

And seriously, "where do I change the graphics settings" when the answer is "in the graphics option menu" is... pretty dumb. He explained though that he meant in-game or in the control panel, and that's fair.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 28, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Origin's been getting better. uPlay, not so much.

^^^ No, pretty sure it's uPlay since it keeps failing to log in and poo poo.

Origin has actually been getting worse. They fired their support teams, and it's now easier to get stuff out of Steam then it is from EA. They put some updates into their cloud system and it now fairly regularly eats game saves. Unlike Uplay/Steam, you can't turn it off. And the client has been getting fairly bloated and will cause some massive lag on certain machines. Only way to fix it is to crack the game you own so you can play it without Origin.

They've basically left it to die. I'm pissed because I'd like to play ME3/DS3/Syndicate again, but whoops nope, their client is a horrible piece of poo poo now. And even if I get through, it'll mysteriously eat my saves halfway through a game.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

So here's an unrelated question, game focused.

It seems like it's really easy to LOSE reputation, but hard to gain it. Is there something I'm not doing? Besides 'running over fewer civilians' that is.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Deviant posted:

It seems like it's really easy to LOSE reputation, but hard to gain it. Is there something I'm not doing? Besides 'running over fewer civilians' that is.

I think its just one of those things where its harder to gain and easier to lose. I know that one trip down the sidewalk in my car undoes like 2-3 non-lethal crime thwarts.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Zaphod42 posted:

Feel free to let me know what was completely silly.

Zaphod42 posted:

or if you wanna wait for a professional to resolve avast or somebody smart to put out a checksum or a MD5 hash or something to compare.

And also basically everything else you've posted in this entire thread.

For reference y'all the stuff he's saying to turn off for performance (ssao and hbao and AA) are the things that make the game look really really great so it's up to you I guess if you want to sacrifice actual video quality so you can make your shadows slightly less blurry and your water ever so slightly more wavy.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Zaphod42 posted:

Some people have been having performance problems (Some of whom I suspect don't know how to configure games on PC)

I loving knew it. I loving knew it. I fuckin- you get the idea. Turing off A few graphical options noone could give two squirts of piss about, otherwise completely worthless in any way, makes the game run like it should.

Something tells me that this whole maxing ideology has enabled developers to include obligatory graphical options that do nothing but put unnecessary strain on your system so you buy the top shelf poo poo. Only for it to run like poo poo still. I know it's fruitless to complain about it here, but it's so god drat blatant it's insulting

Developers jerry rigging their games so their sponsors can sell more hardware is loving disgraceful.

Zaphod42 posted:

Wait, are you seriously running your 4670k at stock speeds? :haw:

Yeah until I find the need to/install a state of the art cooling system that would utilize the 750 watt PSU I have.
So far my box has been overkill, like you said. But I plan on playing with OCing as soon as I make my quiet yet hot case a loud yet cool case.

Not only that but I use an old 1280x1024 75 HZ dell display. I could care less about a wider monitor/resolution, plus this one is very big anyways.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

NeoSeeker posted:

:words:

Developers jerry rigging their games so their sponsors can sell more hardware is loving disgraceful.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a few easily shut-off options that make the game look extra good is in some way a bad thing?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

nthalp posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a few easily shut-off options that make the game look extra good is in some way a bad thing?

The corporations.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

You think 16GB-32GB RAM is gonna improve Watch Dogs performance? You're bottlenecked on your CPU and GPU and graphics-RAM at that point, not system RAM. Check out the process sometime while its running, it doesn't use that much RAM.

I don't know - I finished upgrading my RAM and it's running way smoother. Guess that was the problem.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

IchGestalt posted:

I don't know - I finished upgrading my RAM and it's running way smoother. Guess that was the problem.

Woah it's almost like 8 gigs of ram isn't actually a lot with the way computers run these days and upgrading to 12 or 16 gigs is totally reasonable and also cheap!

Don't let Zaphod know though, he thinks that's retarded.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Whoa, cool game! :thumbsup:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So uhh, is the game loving good or not? I got a slightly futuristic Dishonored+GTA vibe from the trailers.

I can handle some reddit humor because i accepted awhile ago that they're the cool kids and we're not, if that makes a difference.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

MadJackMcJack posted:

To be fair, in most sandboxes I'm too busy smashing into everything to notice. Here I'm actually avoiding cars to keep my good guy rep.

I've noticed you can drive like a maniac and as long as you don't blow up a car with someone in it or hit a pedestrian you don't take any reputation loss no matter how much carnage you create.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Since OP isn't updated, is the game any good? Past 20 pages are talking about system optimization to run it, but not if the game is enjoyable or not.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

IF YOU ARE HAVING PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS TURN SSAO OFF COMPLETELY, TURN AA TO FXAA OR OFF COMPLETELY, AND TURN PRE-RENDERED FRAMES TO 1.

I'm not asking you guys to tech support me (I know some in this thread are). I just honestly think the game either wasn't tested on many different configurations or there is some weird Uplay fuckery going on. I have a fairly powerful rig (I mainly use it for video editing and rendering) but even with everything set to low I still get moments where the game just decides to put everything on hold while it thinks for a few seconds. I can play most games on high while streaming or recording so I don't know what's going on. I was just offering advice to the guy who was asking if his rig will run the game (and my answer being "who knows").
Watch Dogs does have a nice options menu with more display settings than most Ubisoft games.
Maybe the issue will get worked out in a few days with a patch of something.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

IchGestalt posted:

6->8 is a decent increase but anything above 8 is likely overkill unless you are doing hardcore renderings. I would venture a guess and say you had bad RAM. How old was the RAM you just replaced?

Rasmussen posted:

I've noticed you can drive like a maniac and as long as you don't blow up a car with someone in it or hit a pedestrian you don't take any reputation loss no matter how much carnage you create.

I broke into a car, and backed up super carefully through a dining area full of people. I have absolutely no idea what happened next but I guess I bumped into something explosive because a huge explosion happened and my car was nearly destroyed and there were about 20 bodies next to me. Didn't lose any rep.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Robo Reagan posted:

So uhh, is the game loving good or not? I got a slightly futuristic Dishonored+GTA vibe from the trailers.

I can handle some reddit humor because i accepted awhile ago that they're the cool kids and we're not, if that makes a difference.

It has slightly futuristic ideas, it has stealth, and it has a GTA-like structure. Opinions divide on how well any of these things are implemented. To me, it doesn't do any of the above in a way that's engaging on a moment-to-moment level. Hacking is straightforward and prescribed, there is very little room for pure stealth given the AI's super short patrols and their tendency to cluster, and the driving model isn't great so getting around the world isn't hugely satisfying.

This is the sort of game that you might get a lot out of if you like looking at big maps and knowing there are lots of side activities waiting to be checked off, and that's about it.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard

Agoat posted:

Hey Goons, I had a great time streaming with you guys yesterday so I'm back at it today!

http://www.twitch.tv/agoat944

Early-ish spoilers at first (literally just have to escape some cops) but then I'll jump into the online modes!

This is hilarious...Goon trying forever to get into a house where his target is

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

ScienceAndMusic posted:

6->8 is a decent increase but anything above 8 is likely overkill unless you are doing hardcore renderings. I would venture a guess and say you had bad RAM. How old was the RAM you just replaced?

About two years - I was originally thinking of going for just 8; however It wasn't much more expensive to go for these 16 due to a deal the place I got it from had + some credit. So why not.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

madeupfred posted:

Whoa, cool game! :thumbsup:

Man, that makes Borderlands 2 look like Monty Python.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Deviant posted:

Do a lot of crime fighting and don't run people over? Crimes pop up while I'm just standing around so I assume they're unlimited.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

nthalp posted:

A. extra good as in you have to stop moving and look real close for a minute to notice it?

B. how many people in this thread are asking "dumb" optimization questions as if they've never even seen the in game graphical settings menu? (These people may be the target demographic of some poo poo.. I wouldn't have the slightest clue don't ask me..)

I could care less about pushing hardware and stuff. It's not a conspiracy, I'd rather it would be. To be fair a third person game with a main character with a Doritos logo on their back doesn't seem too far fetched, doesn't it?

It would be nice if the man stepped back a few feet from big box video games. Otherwise innovation is left to the indie scene and gaming will be completely split between mindless bullshit and actual innovation.

Sort of like every other medium that came before video games... huh, I just wrecked my own poo poo.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 28, 2014

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I was walking around and saw someone has attended multiple furry conventions. The vigilante in me had to do something. So I ran them over.

Other than that I haven't killed any civilians on purpose.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

NeoSeeker posted:

A. extra good as in you have to stop moving and look real close for a minute to notice it?

B. how many people in this thread are asking "dumb" optimization questions as if they've never even seen the in game graphical settings menu? (These people may be the target demographic of some poo poo.. I wouldn't have the slightest clue don't ask me..)

true, I was just curious.. I usually am the guy setting up a new PC game that most likely spends 30 mins or so tweaking things to make it extra pretty and such, and somewhat assumed most game people (especially pc folks) did as well.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Man, that makes Borderlands 2 look like Monty Python.

Hey, let's not get crazy now. A neckbeard dev lazily slapping some plain text of awful memes onto signs you can optionally hack is far better than watching Anthony Burch jerk off for the entire tedious, long-winded run of the game.

You also get to murder a meme-spewing shitlord in the later part of the story, which makes Aiden look like even more of a hypocrite, but it's still pretty cathartic.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

I found a cameo of Aisha Tyler, which was pretty neat.

Also, my game will sporadically cut to the pause menu for no reason on the PC version. Is this a bug anyone else is experiencing?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

nthalp posted:

true, I was just curious.. I usually am the guy setting up a new PC game that most likely spends 30 mins or so tweaking things to make it extra pretty and such, and somewhat assumed most game people (especially pc folks) did as well.

Barring the crazy poo poo that comes after that quote, I am too. Hell, I spent most of the past week doing a shitload of tweaking after a couple of games stopped working properly (max payne 3 thinks HDAO is a good idea when you have an Nvidia card.)

Planetside 2 has an option in the graphical menu that should say "click here to totally wreck my computer's poo poo and double the heat output for no reason whatsoever"

\/ I believe that those layering issues are shader related. I'd suggest a completely fresh and clean driver reinstall and a few hours spent tweaking those settings and running it to see what happens.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 28, 2014

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
The game ran great for me last night for about the first hour or so, but then went to poo poo during the cutscene with Aiden's sister/newphew. Not only did the stuttering start, but I also started getting weird layering issues where leaves on the ground and textures on the walls were rendering as the top layer over everything else. Anyone else run into anything like this? I'm gonna try fiddling with the settings tonight.

Also, is there any way to modify the setup so that it only plays "Jesus Built My Hotrod" when I'm driving around.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

NeoSeeker posted:

\/ I believe that those layering issues are shader related. I'd suggest a completely fresh and clean driver reinstall and a few hours spent tweaking those settings and running it to see what happens.

And it's stuff like this that makes me glad I'm only gaming on a PS4 these days. It may not be as pretty, but goddamn it just works.

Anyone got any tips for getting away from the police? I constantly get smashed and I can't quite time going over pipes to make them blow up without hitting my own car. I'm a bad driver, apparently.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

It has slightly futuristic ideas, it has stealth, and it has a GTA-like structure. Opinions divide on how well any of these things are implemented. To me, it doesn't do any of the above in a way that's engaging on a moment-to-moment level. Hacking is straightforward and prescribed, there is very little room for pure stealth given the AI's super short patrols and their tendency to cluster, and the driving model isn't great so getting around the world isn't hugely satisfying.

This is the sort of game that you might get a lot out of if you like looking at big maps and knowing there are lots of side activities waiting to be checked off, and that's about it.

Cool, thanks. Going to wait a year for patches, expansions, and dlc for $5 total in a Steam sale then.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I opened up the game and hit 'recommended settings', it put everything at high or ultra (and even automatically set it to native res) and haven't seen any slowdown or graphical issues.

GTX 660ti, new drivers. Game works fine for me! Dunno what other people are complaining about.

It's pretty fun.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

It's a console port so before a flurry of patches it's going to work great on lovely computers and work poo poo on great computers and everything in between.

I can't wait to see how I'll run it. This computer was built for starcitizen, but I think watch dogs being the second and more immediate option, it'll do. Especially since star citizen is never coming out and apparently doesn't have FPS in space at all (we all know zero G fights on the hull of a battleship that's literally miles long and wide with magnetic boots is loving awesome)

This is such a console game. Really any game with cool freeroaming is a console game. Sure PC gaming is supurior.. But when you have a game you can simply start up and begin simply loving around as soon as you're in game, it's much more awesome to play in an insanely comfortable and mobile position on a couch or bed.

\/ No I built this computer because my last computer is more than a decade old first gen dell XPS. I had games in mind but they're practically tertiary reasons. As an example I also built this computer so I could play this game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blueberry_Garden (first gen XPS comes with a 9800 pro and a 3ghz single core)

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

NeoSeeker posted:

I can't wait to see how I'll run it. This computer was built for starcitizen,

You... you built a computer for a fake space game?

• Locked thread