Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dehry posted:

E: Atlus took back P4A publishing rights in Europe according to Zen United

Talk about a zero sum game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
What exactly do game devs have against Europe? It always sounds like a big deal when Europe gets any games at all.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

"Europe" as a game region is an absolute shitshow because it's at least five languages and someone's always left out, including AU/NZ/UK despite being English-speaking, especially now that PAL/NTSC isn't really an issue.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

kirbysuperstar posted:

"Europe" as a game region is an absolute shitshow because it's at least five languages and someone's always left out, including AU/NZ/UK despite being English-speaking, especially now that PAL/NTSC isn't really an issue.

Yea pretty much, imagine a region that you have to unify releases in with a bunch of languages and standards for what's ok and poo poo like that. Europe is a giant hell hole for game devs outside of that area.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Dehry posted:

E: Atlus took back P4A publishing rights in Europe according to Zen United

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/05/27/atlus-taken-distribution-rights-persona-4-arena-europe/

Good, they loving sucked. Maybe we'll get games on time now.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

The_Frag_Man posted:

Maybe we'll get games on time now.

Zen aren't the problem when they were only related to Arena. That one was a major problem, yes, but replacing Zen with someone else doesn't matter when everything else has had major delays too. And that's not even counting stuff like SMTIV.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Aren't there also widely differing censorship laws that cause extra headaches? I know Germany has censored things in ways that makes the United States own censoring look tame in comparison.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Dragonatrix posted:

Zen aren't the problem when they were only related to Arena. That one was a major problem, yes, but replacing Zen with someone else doesn't matter when everything else has had major delays too. And that's not even counting stuff like SMTIV.

I was more referring to the fact that Atlus seem to be changing things now. Like, hopefully this is just the beginning of Atlus getting their European publishing in order.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

The_Frag_Man posted:

I was more referring to the fact that Atlus seem to be changing things now. Like, hopefully this is just the beginning of Atlus getting their European publishing in order.

Chances are its all consolidating under Sega Europe

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Atlus now has only been around since April. Before that it was Index corporation selling Atlus branded games from 2010-2013, while performing shady business operations leading to bankruptcy. Atlus USA (actually Index Digital Media at the time) was able to keep everything on track since they were a separate company wholly owned by Index. The European releases likely fell to the Japanese branch with them using the translations produced by Index Digital Media.

Speaking of which, DDS is out June 4th according to the ghostlight site.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Aren't there also widely differing censorship laws that cause extra headaches? I know Germany has censored things in ways that makes the United States own censoring look tame in comparison.

Yep, and Australia, too. Also getting a game rated by OFLC, PEGI and the German/NZ/etc. boards is a LOT of money. As an example, Corpse Party is on the EU PSN, but doesn't have an OFLC rating, so Australians can't buy it but UKers can. It's a mess.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

So I just finished SMT4 (Law ending) and I was quite happy with how things turned out, but I do have a major question: what the hell was with the little girl and the wheelchair guy? They appeared around the first dungeon and then disappeared for the rest of the game with no explanation whatsoever.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alabaster White posted:

So I just finished SMT4 (Law ending) and I was quite happy with how things turned out, but I do have a major question: what the hell was with the little girl and the wheelchair guy? They appeared around the first dungeon and then disappeared for the rest of the game with no explanation whatsoever.

The answer's in the neutral ending. :v:

All the endings have some explanation that's not in the other routes. Remember Hikaru? Her deal's explained in the Chaos route.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
So is Mind Zero worth playing?

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Thundercracker posted:

No. And it certainly isn't worth the price they're asking. I got it for 800 yen and that wasn't even a good price for the game.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Thundercracker posted:

It's going for something like $9 new on Amazon Japan.

It also ends on an abrupt cliffhanger that will never get resolved because the game did not do well in sales.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

AradoBalanga posted:

A lot of publishers these days don't actually release games in Germany, per se. They found that people were travelling outside the country's borders, buying a perfectly legal (and uncensored) copy of the game and taking it back home. So in the long run, it's much easier (and more cost effective) to release the game with a German subtitle track or whathaveyou everywhere but Germany.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

It's going for something like $9 new on Amazon Japan.

It also ends on an abrupt cliffhanger that will never get resolved because the game did not do well in sales.

Viewtiful Joe 3... :911:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Mind Zero is Persona fan-fiction. If you play in english, your two initial party members are Not-Chie and Not-Junpei (voiced by Yuri Lowenthal) and the MC's childhood friend/love interest is Labrys' VA.

Basically, the main character stumbles across people with the power of MIND(persona) and is warped into a weapons shop between the inner and outer realm run by a woman called the Undertaker. The character picks a weapon that his inner voice told him to pick and his powers awaken. The first two hours of gameplay is just a huge info dump. MIND is considered a drug by the government and they're trying to detain people with it, and the enemies are the ones that went mad or something. I just met a 30-40 something private detective with an anime girl MIND and he's going to explain more.

I'm trying to avoid the word "you" in the story description as there isn't a silent protagonist. He has quite the unpleasant personality. You don't get any law/chaos choices and the game lets you experience as little or as much side story as you want before progressing the story(and even warns you the story will progress.)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Dehry posted:

Basically, the main character stumbles across people with the power of MIND(persona) and is warped into a weapons shop between the inner and outer realm run by a woman called the Undertaker. The character picks a weapon that his inner voice told him to pick and his powers awaken. The first two hours of gameplay is just a huge info dump. MIND is considered a drug by the government and they're trying to detain people with it, and the enemies are the ones that went mad or something.

See, this sounds vaguely cool in a "what if Persona 3 was really all about Strega" kinda way. But then that's still just effectively Persona 3 fanfiction, and the execution sounds completely loving dire.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Look, Mind-Zero is kinda poo poo, but you can't really blame the dub for reusing Persona VAs when you could say the exact same thing with every other JRPG in the past ten years. There's like twenty-five english VAs that even do JRPGs.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Strega were loving hardcore. Adachi is not even a tenth as good a villain as Evil Jesus.

Endorph posted:

Look, Mind-Zero is kinda poo poo, but you can't really blame the dub for reusing Persona VAs when you could say the exact same thing with every other JRPG in the past ten years. There's like twenty-five VAs that even do JRPGs.

Tales Of games share many of the same VAs as Persona, most noticeably is Cheria who sounds exactly like Rise.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Endorph posted:

Look, Mind-Zero is kinda poo poo, but you can't really blame the dub for reusing Persona VAs when you could say the exact same thing with every other JRPG in the past ten years. There's like twenty-five english VAs that even do JRPGs.

Seriously, if you're playing any JRPG (or Japanese game full stop) released in the West in the last decade, the odds of encountering Laura Bailey, Yuri Lowenthall, Johnny Yong Bosch, et all are basically a given. Amanda Winn Lee's been voicing SMT-related games since Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, for example, and, with the possible exception of Persona 1 (PSP) and 3, she was in every Megaten game released with a voice track over here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Excels posted:

Tales Of games share many of the same VAs as Persona, most noticeably is Cheria who sounds exactly like Rise.
Tales of the Abyss has like half the cast of Persona 4 Arena, too.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Seriously, if you're playing any JRPG (or Japanese game full stop) released in the West in the last decade, the odds of encountering Laura Bailey, Yuri Lowenthall, Johnny Yong Bosch, et all are basically a given. Amanda Winn Lee's been voicing SMT-related games since Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, for example, and, with the possible exception of Persona 1 (PSP) and 3, she was in every Megaten game released with a voice track over here.
Yeah, exactly. It's not hard to play 'one degree of Persona 3/4.' To continue with the Tales games, the Japanese versions rarely reuse voice actors, but the dubs have to reuse voice actors constantly. Jamieson Price went from voicing a minor villain, to the main antagonist, to a party member, across three successive games. There just isn't the depth of actors that there is in Japan.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

A lot of publishers these days don't actually release games in Germany, per se. They found that people were travelling outside the country's borders, buying a perfectly legal (and uncensored) copy of the game and taking it back home. So in the long run, it's much easier (and more cost effective) to release the game with a German subtitle track or whathaveyou everywhere but Germany.

I don't really know where you got that idea. There are many cases of low-violence versions being sold in Germany and I suppose a few games really are never released, but a) Germany is a huge market for computer games and b) do you really think enough people are physically crossing borders specifically to buy games to make any difference from a distributor's perspective?

I'm not happy with how things are handled here, but some people seem to have this weird idea that Germany is some kind of gaming wasteland where titles are banned left and right and showing any kind of violence is forbidden.

I mean, I may be wrong, since I haven't bought anything but a few handheld games and stuff on Steam and other digital platforms in recent years, but I'm calling bullshit on what you said until you provide a believable source.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I don't mind most of them although some new voices would be nice. Kinda sick of Baker and Lowenthal, though.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Excels posted:

Strega were loving hardcore. Adachi is not even a tenth as good a villain as Evil Jesus.

The first few chapters of Drakengard 3 are pretty much Mitsuru's and Yosuke's big adventure.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Endorph posted:

Yeah, exactly. It's not hard to play 'one degree of Persona 3/4.' To continue with the Tales games, the Japanese versions rarely reuse voice actors, but the dubs have to reuse voice actors constantly. Jamieson Price went from voicing a minor villain, to the main antagonist, to a party member, across three successive games. There just isn't the depth of actors that there is in Japan.

Are you saying you don't want Lu Bu as the main antagonist/the awesome voice from Catherine in your party? :colbert:

Joking aside I find the opposite is true of Japanese dubs: there are plenty of talented actors in Japan, but typecasting is a bigger deal. Actors seem to get placed neatly into categories based on their vocal type--young protagonist, young woman, Toshiro Mifune, any woman over 25, etc.--and every actor in a given category sounds exactly the same to a non-speaker like myself.

Though it would be nice to get some new voices in the English dubs, Atlus's work with PCM seems like it was the big break for quite a few people (Erin Fitzgerald, and I think Michelle Ann Dunphy according to their S.Link FM interviews).

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 28, 2014

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Excels posted:

The idea of Strega is great. Evil Jesus was just a pathetic villain who depended on cutscene powers to achieve anything, unlike Adachi who actually moved the plot along.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

His VA did such a good job of selling the crazy cult dialogue. Persona has some really top-notch voicework. I never got the hate for Fuuka's dub, and now having heard her in Japanese, she was pretty much a perfect choice.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Excels posted:

His VA did such a good job of selling the crazy cult dialogue. Persona has some really top-notch voicework. I never got the hate for Fuuka's dub, and now having heard her in Japanese, she was pretty much a perfect choice.

Derek Stephen Prince was absolutely fantastic as Evil Hippie Jesus and that cackle from his final battle atop Tartarus was absolutely amazing. :allears: The main thing about Fuuka's dub was her wooden and lifeless performance, as if the actress just phoned it in and didn't give a drat. I think she did a better job in The Answer and she definitely did a better job as Rachel in Blazblue, so I think the direction was just bad.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Fuuka herself is not terribly interesting, compared to everyone else in SEES her problems are really minor which doesn't help her stand out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really hated Strega (well, mostly Chidori), I thought they were just so forced and gimmicky. They're marginally better than Ikutsuki I suppose, who may very well be the dumbest Persona villain.

E: I did get a kick out of pissing Jin off in one of the battles because I covered every one of my team's weaknesses.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 28, 2014

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Excels posted:

Fuuka herself is not terribly interesting, compared to everyone else in SEES her problems are really minor which doesn't help her stand out.

Fuuka's problems are essentially the kind that would fit right in with Persona 4's more toned down problems. She gets her Ultimate Persona when a girl that bullied her became a friend and then moves away, while everyone else had to deal with a death.

I actually think she's more bland than Yukiko, because I can't think of a single thing that makes her standout aside from her hacking abilities, while Yukiko at least has that laugh thing and a bit more personality.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
To me all the human villains in the modern Persona games, like Strega, are pretty lame since they are all real pushovers in combat compared to strong Shadows. It is kind of a case of buildup through dialogue and cutscenes not matching up with the actual gameplay sections. Probably the biggest thing is Takaya/Jin killing Shinjiro in a cutscene and then being total pushovers when you actually fight them later on.

On a related note, it is a similar problem in P3 where I found that the big full moon boss shadows that got lots of buildup were usually pretty easy and much easier than the sub-boss enemies inside of Tartarus that were just palette-swapped regular Shadows standing there in a room with no fanfare. I always thought it was because the only save points in the game were at the dorm desk and Tartarus entrance and they did not want you to have to sit through the long unskippable pre-fight cutscenes again if you lost the fight.
Thankfully Persona 4 didn't have this problem.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Endorph posted:

Tales of the Abyss has like half the cast of Persona 4 Arena, too.

And, minus Troy Baker, Nier has almost the entire main cast of Tales of Vesperia. Made it really weird going from one to the other.

It also doesn't help that, in Japan, VAs are legitimate celebrities, while in the West, it's still seen as 'slumming it'. I don't think there's much crossover between anime/game VAs and big-budget animated movies over here, though I'd like to be proven wrong.

Rushputin posted:

I don't really know where you got that idea. There are many cases of low-violence versions being sold in Germany and I suppose a few games really are never released, but a) Germany is a huge market for computer games and b) do you really think enough people are physically crossing borders specifically to buy games to make any difference from a distributor's perspective?

I'm not happy with how things are handled here, but some people seem to have this weird idea that Germany is some kind of gaming wasteland where titles are banned left and right and showing any kind of violence is forbidden.

I mean, I may be wrong, since I haven't bought anything but a few handheld games and stuff on Steam and other digital platforms in recent years, but I'm calling bullshit on what you said until you provide a believable source.

I have a friend who lives in Germany who frequently complains about having to go on trips outside the country to get games with friends - take that for whatever it's worth. Not as bad as a guy I know who lives in Dubai and complains all the time about cinema trips being a virtual waste of time, considering how badly the movies are censored, but there you go.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

And, minus Troy Baker, Nier has almost the entire main cast of Tales of Vesperia. Made it really weird going from one to the other.

It also doesn't help that, in Japan, VAs are legitimate celebrities, while in the West, it's still seen as 'slumming it'. I don't think there's much crossover between anime/game VAs and big-budget animated movies over here, though I'd like to be proven wrong..

As far as I recall the only anime/games VA I've heard in a big cartoon production over here that was actually in theaters was Crispin Freeman in Howl's Moving Castle as the Prince and even that was a bit part. I mean, a few voice actors used to be actual actors like Jamieson Price and Robin Atkin Downes, hell some were even theater actors like a good portion of Funimation's voice actors in the early 2000s including Laura Bailey. Troy Baker was a musician and got into voice acting completely on accident, there are a lot of weird stories out there of how people got into voice acting, the most notable being Steve Blum showing up for an audition one day with no acting experience whatsoever.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXw6znXPfy4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I have a friend who lives in Germany who frequently complains about having to go on trips outside the country to get games with friends - take that for whatever it's worth. Not as bad as a guy I know who lives in Dubai and complains all the time about cinema trips being a virtual waste of time, considering how badly the movies are censored, but there you go.

To be fair, there are plenty of cases where it's best to buy a non-German version, either to avoid low-violence versions or because they don't contain the original language files (this used to be a bigger problem, nowadays games tend to be multilingual, although you can't count on it).

I guess I was wondering more about the "going on trips" part because while that's certainly something you can do (and shopping across borders, even just in supermarkets, is a fun experience), I doubt there are many things you can't order online somewhere, outside of maybe stuff that is illegal due to nazi symbols or something like that. Most of the physical games I bought in the last ten years or so are from Canada. It's cheap and easy!

In the end, some things won't be released wherever the hell you are, and you'll face the same problem with translated games if you are in France or any other large European country.

Rushputin fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 28, 2014