Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

kastein posted:

I don't think I'd even bother except as a "hey will ya look at that!" show and tell type thing... nothing salvageable in that picture!

Did the end of the spike end up behind the brake rotor and hold the whole wheel captive, or have a party with the caliper, brake line, and suspension/steering parts? Because it looks like it could have, and that's the only way I can think of that things could be worse. So it probably happened.

From what I can remember from the design of the prado rear brakes, that probably JUST missed the actual caliper. Tho the prado has 17" alloys and you can just squeeze 15" rims onto it in the rear, so there's a fair bit of room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Some great stuff in there.

The next section is about how they dropped the (failed) automatic transmission from a T-bird, opened it up, welded everything together so they would have a straight, single speed (3rd only, no neutral or reverse) drive shaft, then slapped it back together and drove it for 23 miles before catching fire.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
Pulley from an F350 6.0, Ford said there wasn't a problem with them but the replacement was double the thickness in the center

This is what happens when you neglect the bearings in your trailers axle. Replaced the spindle and backing plate and back to new. If anyone has questions about maintainig/repairing trailer axles feel free to pm me. I've replaced more spindles than I care to remember.

Free Snap-On ratchet. Previous mechanic left it in the tensioner, they drove it like that for about three months.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Are spindle bearings a standard size for trailers? I've got a silly car tow dolly with some probably-hosed bearings that I haven't felt like screwing with in over a year so it's been sitting. Was wondering if I have to tear it open and get part numbers or if I can just walk into tractor supply, grab a trailer bearing set off the shelf, and be able to assume it'll fit when I get home.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

kastein posted:

Are spindle bearings a standard size for trailers? I've got a silly car tow dolly with some probably-hosed bearings that I haven't felt like screwing with in over a year so it's been sitting. Was wondering if I have to tear it open and get part numbers or if I can just walk into tractor supply, grab a trailer bearing set off the shelf, and be able to assume it'll fit when I get home.

In my experience, yes. I've not had a problem taking some trailer bearings to the local parts store, and walking out 20 minutes later with a replacement.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

kastein posted:

Your best bet is going to be taking it apart, there are many different size trailer bearings. Your tow dolly probably has a 3500lb axle which is the most common for small/medium trailers. Don't forget to get new seals for them as well as checking the bearing races, pitted/rusted races with kill a new bearing in no time. Also feel around the area on the spindle that the seal rides on, any burrs should be smoothed out with emery cloth.

The bearing and races have the part number etched in them on the large side and the seals have the part number molded in the rubber part in the middle. You can see them in the pictures here-
http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Bearings_and_Races.aspx

Here is a pretty good guide for replacing the bearings-
http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wheelbearingpack.aspx

I've never ordered from etrailer, just using their pictures.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Brigdh posted:

In my experience, yes. I've not had a problem taking some trailer bearings to the local parts store, and walking out 20 minutes later with a replacement.

There are two common sizes: 1", and 1 1/8", used on smaller trailers. The seal sizes can vary a little, but not too much. If there's rust where the seal rides, get a speed sleeve, which is a stainless sleeve that gets pressed into the spindle, and allows the seal to run on smooth material. If you don't, the seal will shred itself on the rough spots, and the grease leaks out and you fry the bearings. I towed boats ~25,000 miss a year on mostly 1-5 hour trips for nine years, so I've got experience in maintaining and replacing trailer bearings.

Oh, and etrailer is pretty good. As is northeastern marine/Trailer Parts Depot.

Avoid boat shops.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 28, 2014

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
The Harbor Freight tool chat from a few pages back reminded me of why I stopped using cheap lovely tools.

I was removing the rear bumper from a rusted out S10 when my ratchet broke causing my hand to hit some sharp rusty metal and ripped my fingernail off.

This was a day or two later
:nms:http://i.imgur.com/lQiQXs2.jpg :nms:

After leaving the hospital I wondered where my fingernail was.
Found it
http://i.imgur.com/xXuJXG9.jpg

A high quality tool is much cheaper than a $3000 hospital bill.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Biscuit Joiner posted:

The Harbor Freight tool chat from a few pages back reminded me of why I stopped using cheap lovely tools.

I was removing the rear bumper from a rusted out S10 when my ratchet broke causing my hand to hit some sharp rusty metal and ripped my fingernail off.

A high quality tool is much cheaper than a $3000 hospital bill.

Your sacrifice is acceptable to Fingat, patron deity of horrible mechanical failures.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I've seen plenty of mangled fingers, but for some reason that shot with the nail still stuck to a Sockington-scale piece of rust made me cringe.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That made cringe so bad, and I've even had my thumbnail pulled once (under anesthesia, but still).

I'll certainly be more aware of work angles and nearby hazards in the future.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Xlorp posted:

Your sacrifice is acceptable to Fingat, patron deity of horrible mechanical failures.
But Biscuit Joiner didn't post from the hospital.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

But Biscuit Joiner didn't post from the hospital.
Salvation through Our Prophet Darwin does not require the assistance of a professional priesthood. The injury and the shame are personal; these are all that is needed.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Man I've lost the nails on both index fingers, one middle finger and a big toe and I didn't go to the hospital (yes my fingers are crooked as hell now, shut up)

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

rscott posted:

Man I've lost the nails on both index fingers, one middle finger and a big toe and I didn't go to the hospital (yes my fingers are crooked as hell now, shut up)

Since I can't x-ray myself at home to check for pieces of rusty metal embedded in my finger or give myself a tetanus shot I thought it would be prudent to have a professional do it.

Same hand shown in the other picture, about a year earlier. I skipped the hospital on this one.
:nms:
http://i.imgur.com/AE2CnM5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/RTCK11I.jpg
:nms:

My middle finger should be nervous, it's next.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

rscott posted:

I drove 45 minutes in a 6 speed dodge diesel(you can hit 6th by 35mph) in stop-and-go rush hour traffic to get myself to a hospital when i broke my big toe in 2 places and knocked the toenail off by dropping an 80lb pump shaft directly on it.

By the end i gave up shifting and just started launching in 4th and staying in 4th.

Anyways, it took over a year for the toenail to completely grow back(with big lumps and poo poo though), and 2 years for it to grow back properly. now you can't even tell it happened.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've lost a couple fingernails and two toenails... I think the worst was the middle left toenail.

Was passed out on a couch in the lounge at college wearing flipflops. Went to stand up, ran my toe along the underside of the front of the couch by accident... they must use what amounts to shipping pallet wood to make couch frames because a giant flat chip was hanging down and slid right under. Flipped my toenail up like a loving car hood.

That really, really hurt, and I only discovered it still had the wood chip under it a day later. A lot of peroxide was involved and it grew back just fine right after, so I must have been doing something right.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Aaagh these photos!! :stonklol:

I get terrible blistery, weepy eczema on my hands/fingers if I abuse them at all or dry them out too much. It's an awful pain in the rear end - pretty much causes me to wear gloves for anything other than brushing my teeth, which has no doubt saved me from many injuries when backyard autoshopping. I highly suggest them at all times.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I was pulling hard to loosen a bolt on a brake backing plate on my neighbor's Silverado pickup with a 2' driver when I caught my left thumb between the wrench neck and the axle tube. Killed the upper half of the nail bed. I can grow the nail up to the same length as the other one, but can cut it down to within 1/4" of the base.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

kastein posted:

Flipped my toenail up like a loving car hood.

http://youtu.be/3h1O7-r7Wrw?t=6s

PainterofCrap posted:

Killed the upper half of the nail bed. I can grow the nail up to the same length as the other one, but can cut it down to within 1/4" of the base.

My thumbnail grew back fine, just a little thicker than before. My index fingernail is pretty much hosed. It's very curved, thick and doesn't grow out as far as it should.

Content

The videos like this make want to never be around a dyno
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxpc7NiIrR4

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Did they not strap the front down at all? Jesus.

I've stood right next to a full spec Sprint cup car on a chassis dyno while it made pulls, they're pretty drat safe (barring sudden catastrophic dyno-roller failure :stonk:) as long as you tie the loving car down properly, which definitely involves more than 2 piddly-rear end straps at just the rear.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
This thread... :suspense:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Biscuit Joiner posted:

http://youtu.be/3h1O7-r7Wrw?t=6s

My thumbnail grew back fine, just a little thicker than before. My index fingernail is pretty much hosed. It's very curved, thick and doesn't grow out as far as it should.

Content

The videos like this make want to never be around a dyno
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxpc7NiIrR4

Makes me more afraid to ever put my car on a dyno :comeback:

I've ripped a few nails off past the bed, they always come back in all mutant and flaky and lumpy and hosed up, then one day you wake up and it's perfectly a normal nail again... it's weird.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I was helping a friend replace his door lock cylinders on his Monte Carlo and managed to cut through my finger nail on the inside the door. I thought that it was just cracked so, even though it hurt like a bitch, I tried to pull the half of nail off that was passed the cut (cut was about half way down the nail of my right ring finger) which didn't work and it wouldn't stop bleeding so after about three days I decide it might be an ok idea to go to the doctor.

Apparently I had cut a few mm deep into the nail bed which necessitated that masochistic bastard to pull my entire finger nail off with a pair of pliers and put 5 stitches in my poor finger.
This was a lot of years ago but the pain. The pain is still fresh in my mind. Good thing is you can't even tell that anything happened. If I squeeze my finger you can see a line under the nail which I'm guessing is scar tissue but that's it.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
So this one time, I wanted to check the tension of the drive belt on an electric scooter. The most obvious way (to me at the time) was to grab the belt while it was running. My finger went around one of the pulleys. Thankfully the belt was somewhat loose. I still have my fingertip, but it's missing a corner and the nail only grows partway up. And holy poo poo that was painful.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

And another one for the "How the gently caress did you get that jammed in a tyre?" category.

I thought it was just passed thru the holes as a demonstration at first, but that shifter looks really beaten up and road worn, so I dunno!

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

M42 posted:

One of the cars in the freight line didn't get the stop signal.

That's a sick burnout man.

Also my dad told me about a customer at work he talked to that apparently had an Audi TT RS where a piece of spark plug chipped off then proceeded to ruin the entire engine internally. The guy got a quote for ~$10.5k for a new engine (obviously it was insured so all is well).

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Who is insuring car parts? Do you mean warranty?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Ferremit posted:

And another one for the "How the gently caress did you get that jammed in a tyre?" category.

I thought it was just passed thru the holes as a demonstration at first, but that shifter looks really beaten up and road worn, so I dunno!

:wtc:

How does that even happen?! The angle it's at just makes it all the more confusing.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

kastein posted:

I've lost a couple fingernails and two toenails... I think the worst was the middle left toenail.

busted toenails are the worst thing.

first week away at college... I was moving, carrying my half of a refrigerator. Lost my grip, and (stupidly!) went to break its fall with my foot. The thing landed corner-first, square on my big toe. The impact split the nail into three pieces, in roughly the form of an inverted "T" with the top of the T being a jagged line just below the cuticle. The right fragment separated from the nail bed on impact. The left fragment remained attached, but deformed at the outer edge juuust enough to embed itself into my flesh.

There are words which describe the pain, but they consist solely of consonants.

I took care of it as best I could, headed for the doctors once I noticed that the flesh was attempting to heal by growing over the still-embedded nail fragment.

The doctors - well, med students, really - suggested that the best course of action would be to remove the excess flesh and part of the nail, cuticle and nailbed.

<more_pain>

The operation was a success, with one issue. My big toe looks normal at a casual glance. Look closer and you'd notice that the nail is roughly the same width as the nail on my pinky toe. Look *really* closely and you might notice a small segment of toenail, about 2mm wide, growing vertically - apparently the doc missed cauterizing a tiny segment of cuticle. I've thought about getting that corrected, but the thought of thousands of $ in surgery fees plus a shitload of pain pales in comparison with snagging an occasional sock, saying "damnit" and busting out the nail clippers.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Did he shift into D instead of R?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I cannot wait for the QA flash on this...

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
F-15 landing gear failure:

AWACS deer strike:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Crotch Fruit posted:

F-15 landing gear failure:

AWACS deer strike:

Did they stuff and mount the head?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is it time for deer chat again? Because they're stepping up their game:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=11263879

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

revmoo posted:

Who is insuring car parts? Do you mean warranty?

IIRC Cached is from Sweden, and over here it's quite common for insurance to cover powertrain damage up to a certain age and mileage on the car (mine for example covers up until the car is 8 years old or ticks over 62.5k miles, whichever comes first). If the car is new enough, it'll be covered by warranty ofc.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

xzzy posted:

Is it time for deer chat again? Because they're stepping up their game:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=11263879

Probably still got a reckless driving ticket. :rolleyes:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Cross post from the OSHA.jpg thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW