Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I mean considering Safe Haven already outclassed SPAA in every other way, it seems a bit like tilting at windmills to try to top it as a Doom adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Wait, I just processed that post. Noxville, what the gently caress planet do you live on where Blood Dragon wasn't one of the best games of 2013?

Like, I can see thinking it was too short or didn't have enough content, but it was also dirt cheap, the entire game was just one batshit insane action setpiece after another (compare to the original FC3 where the cool setpieces were broken up by dumb poo poo), and the presentation is brilliant. Seriously, more things need to have that exaggerated 80s/early 90s aesthetic, because every time I see it I love it like hell.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean considering Safe Haven already outclassed SPAA in every other way, it seems a bit like tilting at windmills to try to top it as a Doom adaptation.

Safe Haven is in no way a Doom adaptation. For example, it has a plot.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah, for Safe Haven to be a Doom adaptation that last segment would have needed more shotguns and rocket launchers. Maybe it's a good Doom 3 adaptation. :v:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Safe Haven is in no way a Doom adaptation. For example, it has a plot.

So does Doom.

Safe Haven is just Doom 0: On Earth.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Wait, I just processed that post. Noxville, what the gently caress planet do you live on where Blood Dragon wasn't one of the best games of 2013?

Like, I can see thinking it was too short or didn't have enough content, but it was also dirt cheap, the entire game was just one batshit insane action setpiece after another (compare to the original FC3 where the cool setpieces were broken up by dumb poo poo), and the presentation is brilliant. Seriously, more things need to have that exaggerated 80s/early 90s aesthetic, because every time I see it I love it like hell.

The moment that dumb humour tips it's hat and acknowledges how dumb it is is the moment it stops being funny, and sitting through three hours of the game mugging at the camera was the worst kind of torture. Give me OG Far Cry 3's innocent idiocy any day of the week.

e: This is why Miami Connection is roughly a billionty times better than any of these deliberately bad 'we made a bad 80s movie on purpose' things.

Noxville fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 28, 2014

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I'm all for a new Doom film if they bring back The Rock and end it by having him use a berserk pack to punch a Cyberdemon to death.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Noxville posted:

Blood Dragon is a steaming pile of poo poo. What did Jason Eisener have to do with it?
Uhhh you could not be more wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO0ou4Nqdn8

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm all for a new Doom film if they bring back The Rock and end it by having him use a berserk pack to punch a Cyberdemon to death.

YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

RIP AND TEAR RIP AND TEAR!

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

quote:

Maya Angelou, Poet, Author, Civil Rights Activist, And—Holy Cow—Tony Award–Nominated Actress, College Professor, Magazine Editor, Streetcar Conductor—Really? Streetcar Conductor? Wow—Calypso Singer, Nightclub Performer, And Foreign Journalist, Dead At 86

Sad day. :( But that's a fantastic little obit headline from the Onion.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Noxville posted:

The moment that dumb humour tips it's hat and acknowledges how dumb it is is the moment it stops being funny, and sitting through three hours of the game mugging at the camera was the worst kind of torture. Give me OG Far Cry 3's innocent idiocy any day of the week.

e: This is why Miami Connection is roughly a billionty times better than any of these deliberately bad 'we made a bad 80s movie on purpose' things.

The thing is, though, Blood Dragon isn't "deliberately bad." It's not even bad. It's just silly.

The stuff that's "deliberately bad" usually sucks because it takes an attitude of ironic detachment towards the things it's influenced by, and comes off as trying too hard as a result. Blood Dragon, on the other hand, comes from a place of sincere love for the material; it pokes fun at some of the cliches of old action movies, but only very lightheartedly, and just from the attention to detail (you don't seek out Michael Biehn to voice the main character unless you really like 80s action movies) you can tell that everyone involved just wanted to make a batshit crazy old action movie in playable form. It's more like The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra than Sharknado.

(If you don't like The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra I'm pretty sure there's no hope for you.)

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 28, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

So does Doom.

Safe Haven is just Doom 0: On Earth.

The plot of Doom 2 is On Earth.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The thing is, though, Blood Dragon isn't "deliberately bad." It's not even bad. It's just silly.

The stuff that's "deliberately bad" usually sucks because it takes an attitude of ironic detachment towards the things it's influenced by, and comes off as trying too hard as a result. Blood Dragon, on the other hand, comes from a place of sincere love for the material; it pokes fun at some of the cliches of old action movies, but only very lightheartedly, and just from the attention to detail (you don't seek out Michael Biehn to voice the main character unless you really like 80s action movies) you can tell that everyone involved just wanted to make a batshit crazy old action movie in playable form. It's more like The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra than Sharknado.

(If you don't like The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra I'm pretty sure there's no hope for you.)

Everything about that game suggested to me that they didn't really know anything about what they were riffing on besides what pop culture had passed down to them. I didn't see any love of 80s action, just HA HA THE 80s!!!!!!!!! It's the same reason Robert Rodriguez's half of Grindhouse fails.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

It would be cool if anything that aped the 80's was anywhere near as good as Beyond the Black Rainbow.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Samuel Clemens posted:

That is an exceptionally unsafe and inefficient way to take down a Cyberdemon, as any Doom II player knows.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The tutorial of the game was straight-up deliberately bad, and while I don't like to let the first five minutes of something reflect that much on the whole thing, it really, really started it off on a bad foot.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

It would be cool if anything that aped the 80's was anywhere near as good as Beyond the Black Rainbow.
You know, I think I'd actually be pretty okay with Panos Cosmatos remaking big name 80s movies.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The tutorial of the game was straight-up deliberately bad, and while I don't like to let the first five minutes of something reflect that much on the whole thing, it really, really started it off on a bad foot.
I remember completely losing my poo poo at the tutorial and knowing right then and there that I'd be in for a hell of a ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pItOJfE_GYg

"To look around, look around."

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 28, 2014

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Humor is super-subjective and Blood Dragon relies heavily on humor so I feel that's the biggest judgement point for most people. Also Blood Dragon is poo poo

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

You know, I think I'd actually be pretty okay with Panos Cosmatos remaking big name 80s movies.

Is he doing anything?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Josh Lyman posted:

How the hell did Alice in Wonderland (2010) ever make $1 billion? :psyduck:

An important part of the story is that it was one of the first big IMAX 3D movies to hit after Avatar, so that gave it a huge opening weekend because that trend was still getting super hot. It set the records for both 3d and IMAX opening weekend grosses, and something like 70% of it's opening weekend take was from 3d showings.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

BtBR is way more 60/70s though. :confused:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I remember completely losing my poo poo at the tutorial and knowing right then and there that I'd be in for a hell of a ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pItOJfE_GYg

"To look around, look around."

It's a tutorial that acknowledges how stupid forced tutorials are, and yet, forces you to do it anyway. It's straight-up naked contempt for the player, and I honestly quit the game the first time it happened. There are really few things in any kind of work that I hate more than flawed elements that are framed as ironic, or humorous commentary on said flaws. If you want to criticize forced tutorials in games, don't put one in your game.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lord Krangdar posted:

Is he doing anything?
Not that I know of, which is such a shame :smith: Anyone who can come out with a movie like that is crazy talented and he should probably be using his gifts more. Although if his next movie takes a while to come out but is as good as/better than Black Rainbow, I'd absolutely respect him for holding out until the time was right.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

axleblaze posted:

BtBR is way more 60/70s though. :confused:

I dunno, the color scheme and score make me think 80's but I could be wrong.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Fag Boy Jim posted:

It's a tutorial that acknowledges how stupid forced tutorials are, and yet, forces you to do it anyway. It's straight-up naked contempt for the player, and I honestly quit the game the first time it happened. There are really few things in any kind of work that I hate more than flawed elements that are framed as ironic, or humorous commentary on said flaws. If you want to criticize forced tutorials in games, don't put one in your game.

That was my experience as well. I installed the demo and was just so annoyed by this (combined with the fact that FPSs aren't really my favorite genre and I don't really have a particular nostalgia for the 80s) that I just kind of moved onto other things. I know I didn't really give it a fair chance but gently caress it, I literally have dozens of other games to play right now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

axleblaze posted:

That was my experience as well. I installed the demo and was just so annoyed by this (combined with the fact that FPSs aren't really my favorite genre and I don't really have a particular nostalgia for the 80s) that I just kind of moved onto other things. I know I didn't really give it a fair chance but gently caress it, I literally have dozens of other games to play right now.
It's only a few hours long, but if you weren't entertained by the intro, then yeah, you probably wouldn't dig the rest of the game either.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I actually got the feeling Ubisoft made them do it and it was a dig at them, not contempt for the player.

(also the tutorial literally took like two minutes and was loving hilarious)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I dunno, the color scheme and score make me think 80's but I could be wrong.

The color scheme and score are very 2010s.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I never played this game but I'm watching the tutorial and it's pretty funny.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

TrixRabbi posted:

The color scheme and score are very 2010s.

...not really? The only 2010s things that are like that are deliberate (if exaggerated) throwbacks. Neon and synthesizers makes me think 80s, not 2010s.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

SALT CURES HAM posted:

...not really? The only 2010s things that are like that are deliberate (if exaggerated) throwbacks. Neon and synthesizers makes me think 80s, not 2010s.

Good god, it occurs to me that the defining Aesthetic of this decade could be what we were nostalgic for.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Sprecherscrow posted:

Good god, it occurs to me that the defining Aesthetic of this decade could be what we were nostalgic for.

This is probably more common than you think.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Obviously there's stuff like Blade Runner and Escape from New York to set the ground, but neon has become this very modern aesthetic that is more and more frequent. Enter the Void (2009), Scott Pilgrim, Spring Breakers, even Neighbors. It's the 80s but the 80s through the eyes of the 2010s. Just as those films were the 50s and 60s through the eyes of the 80s.

What would you say is distinctly indicative of the 2010s? Maybe it's too early to tell.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I'm not really sure how to quantify it, but I'd say the defining aesthetic of the 2010s is pretty much the Marvel Cinematic Universe aesthetic. Somewhat dark and drab visuals (almost to the point of looking sterile) and bombastic orchestral scores with bits and pieces of electronic influence (think Hans Zimmer) seems like the ISO standard for 2010s "serious" stuff.

The thing is, while we have gotten stuff with the 80s aesthetic recently, I would say it's more of a countercultural thing than anything else. Scott Pilgrim was a flop (even though it kicked rear end) and Spring Breakers and Enter the Void were arthouse films by notoriously inaccessible and iconoclastic filmmakers.

Noxville posted:

The 80s were not full of neon, people now just think they were.

Which is why it's the defining aesthetic of the decade. :cripes: It wasn't in everything, hell it wasn't even necessarily in most things, but the things people immediately think of when they think of 80s aesthetics (early Michael Mann stuff, To Live and Die in LA, Blade Runner, John Carpenter's 80s output) were defined by it.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 28, 2014

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

What would you say is distinctly indicative of the 2010s? Maybe it's too early to tell.

Dogshit.

Noxville posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j74mxqvxRDQ

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 28, 2014

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I'm not really sure how to quantify it, but I'd say the defining aesthetic of the 2010s is pretty much the Marvel Cinematic Universe aesthetic. Somewhat dark and drab visuals (almost to the point of looking sterile) and bombastic orchestral scores with bits and pieces of electronic influence (think Hans Zimmer) seems like the ISO standard for 2010s "serious" stuff.

The thing is, while we have gotten stuff with the 80s aesthetic recently, I would say it's more of a countercultural thing than anything else. Scott Pilgrim was a flop (even though it kicked rear end) and Spring Breakers and Enter the Void were arthouse films by notoriously inaccessible and iconoclastic filmmakers.

Which is why it's the defining aesthetic of the decade. :cripes: It wasn't in everything, hell it wasn't even necessarily in most things, but the things people immediately think of when they think of 80s aesthetics (early Michael Mann stuff, To Live and Die in LA, Blade Runner, John Carpenter's 80s output) were defined by it.

I think we're seeing more vibrant color schemes, and that may be a response to the 2000s Nolan/Bourne Identity blue & gray dreck. In fact, these are some of the most gorgeously colorful films since technicolor in the 50s. Even stuff like Pain & Gain are bright and exciting.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
Whenever I think "neon aesthetic" the first thing that comes to mind are the Schumacher Batman films which were as 90s as you could possibly be. Are people just mixing up neon with day-glo? That poo poo was everywhere in the 80s but it was more fluorescent than neon.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would say DC's aesthetic is more of a better representation of 2010's visuals than Marvel's. Mostly because EVERYONE wants to ape Christopher Nolan all the loving time, and I'm so bored with that style.

I hope he does something interesting with Intersteller though. Since Wally isn't on board any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I would say DC's aesthetic is more of a better representation of 2010's visuals than Marvel's. Mostly because EVERYONE wants to ape Christopher Nolan all the loving time, and I'm so bored with that style.

I hope he does something interesting with Intersteller though. Since Wally isn't on board any more.

I think we're seeing a shift away from that style. Even Pacific Rim, for all it's faults, was colorful.

• Locked thread