Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

tinkerballz posted:

The 7-day price protection will not apply in this case? I am just (re)trying the game, and I really wanted to get Deadpool and being stuck with THE THING (initial hero) and Storm (lucky drop) will not end well if I want to stick to this game...

The price protection will, but if they do BOGO you won't get that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hi. Im Leeroy
Oct 8, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

The price protection will, but if they do BOGO you won't get that.

Oh. Thanks.

And there is a good chance of that, eh?

(I had to google BOGO...)

Edit: VVV I will wait till next week, for sure. And I am gravitating around 20 splinters, so no dice... Thanks.

Hi. Im Leeroy fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 28, 2014

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

tinkerballz posted:

The 7-day price protection will not apply in this case? I am just (re)trying the game, and I really wanted to get Deadpool and being stuck with THE THING (initial hero) and Storm (lucky drop) will not end well if I want to stick to this game...

There's currently no discount on heroes, just costumes. During the anniversary there is guaranteed to be either a price discount or a buy-one-get-one-free deal on heroes. So if you can hold out for one more week, you'll get more for your money.

None of this applies to splinters though, so if you somehow have 600 laying around, by all means Deadpool it up.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Zombie Samurai posted:

None of this applies to splinters though, so if you somehow have 600 laying around, by all means Deadpool it up.

If there are any 450G heroes you don't own, however, it's probably beneficial not to buy random boxes with splinters until after the sale is done. Depending on how many you have left to get you could lose out on the chance to use a cheap-tier hero for the BOGO box.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

DrOgreface posted:

Are you running a combo build or a spirit spender build? I actually like a TS spender build the best now. Whirling Club got legit when I wasn't looking.

Combo build. Maybe I'll try the other one, but I'm really enjoying the combo setup.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

crowbb posted:

I'm at work until 4pm EST so I can't check, but I built one last night. I am totally going off memory here so I may have forgotten or gotten some of these numbers wrong...

+2000ish defense
+270ish ranged damage rating
+250ish critical rating
2% chance of firing a sentinel laser for 8kish damage
3% chance of summoning a sentinel
+1 all skills
I feel I am forgetting another affix and I'm totally blanking on which slot it was.

You're forgetting the chance to summon a ~~BIG GUN~~ to increase your damage rating at the cost of 5% attack speed for 5 seconds.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Forums PvP is actually really fun.
Logic, rhetoric, reason, and retort are all best in slot. Advanced Storytelling procs confusion really often and seems to last the entire instance. +5% damage against Spiderman and Wolverine avatar posters is really nice, too.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I still can't find anything resembling a list of the powers and how they're changed for PVP (mostly cooldowns). I know that everything with invuln is supposedly 2 minutes (although I've heard that Strange's astral form doesn't have that?!?), and all movement powers have a cooldown but beyond that I'm almost totally in the dark unless I actually play someone. Basics seem to have no cd, and some random high attack speed powers but outside of that it's almost like they're random.

I'm still interested in it but finding any information about mechanics is...difficult.

Spudsly
Jul 11, 2006
Do sentinels still spawn in wave 1 of Holo-sim? I just tried to get the protect citizens wave for about 50 minutes this morning and didn't see one. This event is exciting.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

alansmithee posted:

I still can't find anything resembling a list of the powers and how they're changed for PVP (mostly cooldowns). I know that everything with invuln is supposedly 2 minutes (although I've heard that Strange's astral form doesn't have that?!?), and all movement powers have a cooldown but beyond that I'm almost totally in the dark unless I actually play someone. Basics seem to have no cd, and some random high attack speed powers but outside of that it's almost like they're random.

I'm still interested in it but finding any information about mechanics is...difficult.

I was looking for the exact same thing yesterday. I think the general gist of it is:
Does it let you move? Cooldown
Does it let you teleport? Huge cooldown
Does it let you do a lot of damage? Huge cooldown
Does it let you do damage? The coefficient was changed to make it do less
Does it make you invulnerable/invisible/untargetable? 2 minute cd

If you find the actual list of everything changed I'd like to see it. It's a totally different game.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Spudsly posted:

Do sentinels still spawn in wave 1 of Holo-sim? I just tried to get the protect citizens wave for about 50 minutes this morning and didn't see one. This event is exciting.

I just got one on wave 1 about 30 minutes ago. Got two torsos out of it too. This was the only wave one spawn I got during about 30 tries.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Lux Aeterna posted:

I was looking for the exact same thing yesterday. I think the general gist of it is:
Does it let you move? Cooldown
Does it let you do a lot of damage? Huge cooldown
Does it let you do damage? The coefficient was changed to make it do less
Does it make you invulnerable/invisible/untargetable? 2 minute cd

If you find the actual list of everything changed I'd like to see it. It's a totally different game.

Also not sure if you saw it, but each character has (or can have) a modifier to their incoming/outgoing damage that's posted in the pvp forum (it's updated every patch, I believe). In general there just 10% shifts either way when there's any mods, but it's still interesting to see what they feel problem areas are. There's exactly 1 person whose damage is reduced (I'm sure everyone can figure out who), but a few who get bonuses. Also I think there's only like 2 people who get bonuses to damage taken (BP takes 10% additional for reasons, and Thing takes a whopping 25% more).

Most dudes are neutral though, but it's still interesting. Also, as nick and others have mentioned gearing/skilling for pvp is quite a bit different from PvE. I actually (shamefully) swapped out CDR on my Spider-Man costume to try to get more HP. And it gets a bad rap from a lot of dudes, but I actually like it a ton and assuming you're not facing a full premade PvP group it's honestly some of the most fun I've had in the game. I'll be running more PvP stuff as well as gearing up someone for pure PvP most likely and I'd recommend anyone try it at least once with a goon group.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

The only pvp in an arpg that actually kind of worked was the low level dueling guys in D2. Level 9 and level 30 chars and only gear available up until that point. I think I spent a full ladder season just doing that and gearing chars up because it was attainable and fun.

I'd totally be down for playing pvp just to get that stupid melee/health ring that's so good.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it

Leper Residue posted:

I just got one on wave 1 about 30 minutes ago. Got two torsos out of it too. This was the only wave one spawn I got during about 30 tries.

Just tried it, one wave 1 in 45 mins and no bits. A wave 4 and 50+ kills on the 90 second wave a couple times and again nothing. oh well.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zoobtro posted:

Just tried it, one wave 1 in 45 mins and no bits. A wave 4 and 50+ kills on the 90 second wave a couple times and again nothing. oh well.

90 second wave doesn't seem to have the same high drop rate.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Lux Aeterna posted:

If they added a cooldown to Bodyslide By One, I'm done. Full stop, uninstall the game, gently caress that poo poo.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Captain Bravo posted:

If they added a cooldown to Bodyslide By One, I'm done. Full stop, uninstall the game, gently caress that poo poo.

He's talking about PVP mode, bro :shobon:

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps

Captain Bravo posted:

Uninstall the game because of a PVP teleport cooldown? What exactly is a melee hero supposed to do against a ranged hero with a no cooldown teleport?

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

RatHat posted:

90 second wave doesn't seem to have the same high drop rate.

I know but ~50 sentinel kills per 90 seconds seemed like a good idea at the time.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
My Gub

Can't see myself actually using it. Maybe on a ranged character with no alternatives?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Lux Aeterna posted:

The only pvp in an arpg that actually kind of worked was the low level dueling guys in D2. Level 9 and level 30 chars and only gear available up until that point. I think I spent a full ladder season just doing that and gearing chars up because it was attainable and fun.

I'd totally be down for playing pvp just to get that stupid melee/health ring that's so good.

I played before ladder became a big thing (mostly during 1.09), but I used to duel all the time. Honestly there wasn't too much else to do. I enjoyed it, but it was mostly guided arrow bowazons/stunlock assassins & paladins/tele sorcs.

I figure since people are talking about it more, I'll add some stuff about what I've gathered about PvP reading the forums and playing and whatnot. There definitely seems to be vast power level differences, and it's quite a bit different from PvE. And even in the cases where you have someone who's good at both, the spec is highly different (in PvP BP is all about ranged attacks, for instance).

Recommended health is about +5k over what that person likely want for PvE (so you're looking at 20k for ranged, 25k for melee, and 30k+ for characters who need to seriously tank). Damage is heavily burst-focused. CC is much more powerful; tenacity actually isn't entirely horrible (although I'm still not sure if stacking it is practical, it's more a side benefit on things that already have it).

There's also a lot of mechanics with the PvE elements (the towers, and the giant golems that are along with you) that I don't fully understand. I read on the forums that supposedly tower damage breaks invuln, but I don't think that's been my experience.

Also yeah, you can get a pretty good ring for PvE from PvP (900+ health, 500+ melee DR) so there's an actual benefit. It's also fairly decent xp if you're leveling a legendary.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The Nightcrawler build in the OP seems pretty out of date, anyone have some tips for him? I'm thinking of using This build for leveling and early 60 and This build for endgame, what do you think? And any suggestions on what stats to go for for Nightcrawler? Standard mix of physical damage, survivability, and spirit regen?

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

RatHat posted:

The Nightcrawler build in the OP seems pretty out of date, anyone have some tips for him? I'm thinking of using This build for leveling and early 60 and This build for endgame, what do you think? And any suggestions on what stats to go for for Nightcrawler? Standard mix of physical damage, survivability, and spirit regen?

You're in safe hands with those builds.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

RatHat posted:

The only thing I would say for your leveling build is to take the points out of your basic and put them into Bamf Bomb. Shadowmeld -> Bamf Bomb -> Flash & Grab -> Infernal Brimstone does so much damage you almost don't need single-target attacks. I can't really comment on Brimstone Beatdown because I don't use it, but that should cover your single-target needs.

Bamf Bomb is pretty much required to get the most out of NC.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Bamf bomb? You mean Dive bomb?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

RatHat posted:

Yes, I posted his two builds recently:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

"How to Nightcrawler" turns out to be pretty easy, since there's basically two builds:

SWORDS
Max: Flash & Grab, One Step Ahead, Infernal Brimstone, X-Slash, Master Swordsman, Heartseeker Guard
1 point: Obscuring Brimstone, Acrobatic Escape, Swashbuckler Slash. If you want/can fit it on the bar, his sig can also be worth one point.
Dump: Swashbuckler Slash. Excalibur's Sabre and other +skills should take it to above 20 if you put the rest of your points in it.

Use Excalibur's Sabre/Nate Grey's/Black Gloves/Footstigons/Shark. Fairytale Swashbuckler Boots are perfectly fine to use instead of Footstigons, but they're not as good in this build (X-Slash is not in the middle tree). For his slot 2 you'll want a good cosmic if you don't have Nate Grey's.

You'll need to use a teleport power (teleport, IB, F&G) every 4.5s to make sure One Step Ahead stays up 100% of the time. I recommend just refreshing IB a second early, that way it's also up 100% of the time.

TELEPORT
Max: Flash & Grab, Agile Strike, One Step Ahead, Brimstone Beatdown, Infernal Brimstone, Heartseeker Guard.
1 point: Obscuring Brimstone, Acrobatic Escape. If you want/can fit it on the bar, his sig can also be worth one point.
Dump: wherever, doesn't matter.

Use Deathseed/Satanclaw/Dragonfang for your slot 1. 2, 3 and 5 are identical to the X-Slash build. 4 comes down to whether or not you have Footstigons and how well the Footstigons and your Fairytale Boots are rolled; keep in mind that the Boots are +6 to the middle tree, which includes IB, BB, your basic and One Step Ahead (so that's 1500 DR on Agile Strike/BB/IB, plus the benefits of getting +6 ranks to OSA).

Both builds can use the same legendaries: Gungnir or Savage Axe are both great picks. Excalibur's DR doesn't apply to Infernal Brimstone, but the life on hit is nice. You could also take Shield of Perseus - NC is melee, so you'll get hit a lot for the procs, and 2k HP/defence on him is really nice.

(Credit to ICR for most of this, I'm just typing it up in a build-post-able format.)

Don't use Bamf Bomb (it's no longer called Divebomb), it's bad.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Bamf Bomb is pretty much required to get the most out of NC.

You will get way more DPS out of spamming BB or X-Slash than you will out of Bamf Bomb because of the cast time and cooldown.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
More like Barf bomb, worst character

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gravy Jones posted:

My Gub

Can't see myself actually using it. Maybe on a ranged character with no alternatives?

Wait, defense? What slot is that for?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Bamf Bomb is hella suboptimal but it's also hella sweet looking, so I use it in place of Flash & Grab because I hate that move's animation. But yeah, if you care about running Cosmics at a decent pace you're stuck with the fugliness that is F&G.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Bruceski posted:

Wait, defense? What slot is that for?

Slot 5 I am p sure

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MotU posted:

Slot 5 I am p sure

Huh, I expected it would be a slot 1, since it's a gun.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Bruceski posted:

Huh, I expected it would be a slot 1, since it's a gun.

Please don't slotshame, slot 5s can be guns too.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Slots can be whatever they want to be. They just have to believe in themselves.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Slots is an actual thing, therefor I can say whatever I want.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Bamf Bomb is hella suboptimal but it's also hella sweet looking, so I use it in place of Flash & Grab because I hate that move's animation. But yeah, if you care about running Cosmics at a decent pace you're stuck with the fugliness that is F&G.

Yeah, same here. I wish it were usable instead of F&G. :(

It's a shame, since all they really need to do is up its damage until it's worth using.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I'm starting to think I have some kind of allergy to good builds. Like my body refuses to accept them or something.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Graft vs Scrub Syndrome

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Zombie Samurai posted:

I'm starting to think I have some kind of allergy to good builds. Like my body refuses to accept them or something.

Sometimes the highest-dps build just isn't my playstyle. I'm suffering through that right now with Wolverine's rework. You just have to follow your heart and do what feels right, and try not to let it bother you that you're completing terminals 10 seconds slower than if you completely redid your build and spent 2 months farming for the optimal artifacts.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Anything that is gear-independent is good, first and foremost. Trusting to luck or dealing with trade is not worth the pain. Gaz seems to be realising this more and more as more heroes are getting life leech and such in their baseline toolset. Max damage ain't worth it if you're running around panicking after a single blow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Is there any reason why I can't get the Enchanter to add Allfather's Fury to an item? I have the item. I have the runes. The enchanter has the recipe. When I put the items in their slots and hit create it returns everything to my inventory. Other enchantments work fine.

• Locked thread