Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

"Thus I was taken from Arkansas, the nicest place I ever lived, and brought to Newark, New Jersey, a place worse than any of the many third world countries I have visited. "

He has a fair point about Newark at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Graduated today. :thumbsup:

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Bold Robot posted:

My condolences.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

Enjoy the perpetual doc review!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ThirdPartyView posted:

Enjoy the perpetual doc review!

If you're lucky!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Green Crayons posted:

This is glorious.

quote:

Now the government's answer, or lack of it, will be permanently preserved in the Bitcoin block chain as a matter of public record. PAY ME MY MONEY, YOU LYING SUBHUMAN GARBAGE. You also should resign from your posts, as you've shown yourselves to be collective disgraces to rule of law and enemies of the United States Constitution. Those of us who actually love this country should take your places

:911:

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Got so despondent about my awful job last month I applied to be a patent examiner

Not selected :eng99:

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Spilled hot coffee on my lap today. Want to sue.

But seriously don't do that. My balls feel like the roof of your mouth when you eat something too hot.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Better or worse than Captain Crunch mouth roof?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Elotana posted:

Got so despondent about my awful job last month I applied to be a patent examiner

Condolences. I hear the PTAB's hiring like crazy right now - if you're midlevel, it would probably be worth giving that a shot.

My firm is also hiring in several offices (lateral prosecution associates), and we're generally not assholes. What was your graduating class, and what cities would you be interested in?

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 28, 2014

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
hi

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

sup

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Elotana posted:

Apply to in house positions.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

how is life across the plaza

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

edit: I'm tired.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Ersatz posted:

Condolences. I hear the PTAB's hiring like crazy right now - if you're midlevel, it would probably be worth giving that a shot.

My firm is also hiring in several offices (lateral prosecution associates), and we're generally not assholes. What was your graduating class, and what cities would you be interested in?
'10, Texas or the upper Midwest (or anywhere, honestly, I'm not tied to anything stronger than an apartment lease).

I've been doing prosecution for less than a year, though; I did litigation for 3 years until my firm said "welp, your MDL settled and there's not enough patent litigation, good thing you have a reg number" and switched me.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 28, 2014

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Elotana posted:

'10, Texas or the upper Midwest (or anywhere, honestly, I'm not tied to anything stronger than an apartment lease).

I've been doing prosecution for less than a year, though; I did litigation for 3 years until my firm said "welp, your MDL settled and there's not enough patent litigation, good thing you have a reg number" and switched me.

Come do Family Law with me and Roger.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Soothing Vapors posted:

i'm a skill-less 27 year old man with a six figure job. hours are batshit but things could be way way worse

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Feces Starship posted:

i'm a skill-less 27 year old man with a six figure job. hours are batshit but things could be way way worse

:hf:

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

seriously my group is humming. not complaining about how much work I do but for sense of scale im on pace for 2080

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I feel like a retard for actually showing up in person for this Barbri class, why the gently caress am I not at home watching this video in my underwear.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Elotana posted:

There are openings in a few offices, but they are mainly for prosecutors with comp. sci., electrical, or chemistry backgrounds.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 28, 2014

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

I feel like a retard for actually showing up in person for this Barbri class, why the gently caress am I not at home watching this video in my underwear.
Early on, it's really difficult to stay on task when you're at home. It's one thing to have the video on. It's another to pay attention.

All that changes when July hits. Then you can do everything from home, and be disciplined enough to actually work, because you realize that you could actually fail the bar and that would be the worst.

Also, once you start watching BarBri videos in your boxers, you sort of stop leaving your house altogether, and that's not really something you want to kick off your summer with.

Just go to the class during March/June. Be social with the other folks. Feel free to drink and enjoy yourself when you aren't studying (you should be not studying for more hours than you do study for a while), and try to minimize your conversations about bar study. Try to stay caught up with the progress bar, but unless if you're one of those people, you will fall behind. That's okay, so long as you're actually working. Also, don't do the essays until you've actually started (and succeeded at) memorizing the relevant material -- otherwise, it's just a waste of your time and the waste of a good learning experience.

Good luck and goonspeed.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Ersatz posted:

There are openings in a few offices, but they are mainly for prosecutors with comp. sci., electrical, or chemistry backgrounds.
Yeah this is the other problem I have, my qualifying degree is a bio BS. My firm itself has squat for actual bio work so in practice I've worked on all kinds of crazy chemistry, computer, oilfield apps, but the received wisdom that "it's not your degree, it's what you've done" generally doesn't apply to prosecution, they all want a BS in some other field or a PhD in mine. :qq:

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Green Crayons posted:

Be social with the other folks.
This was critical for me. I studied for the bar with friends from law school, and meeting with them every day kept me awake and on task. Studying on my own would have been less efficient and more miserable.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lol are we getting close to bar failing time? I love the summer.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Reminder: If you fail, the last three years of your life are utterly meaningless. Your loved ones will forever think of you as the one who was just a little too dumb to be a lawyer. It doesn't matter that failure is usually a result of a single bad day, because a single good day is not by itself sufficient to justify your toil. No, you must study. Every flashcard you heap upon the Carrion Lord's macabre throne is another grim ticket, purchased years before any possible redemption, to a blood-lottery that only fools play.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Sulecrist posted:

Reminder: If you fail, the last three years of your life are utterly meaningless. Your loved ones will forever think of you as the one who was just a little too dumb to be a lawyer. It doesn't matter that failure is usually a result of a single bad day, because a single good day is not by itself sufficient to justify your toil. No, you must study. Every flashcard you heap upon the Carrion Lord's macabre throne is another grim ticket, purchased years before any possible redemption, to a blood-lottery that only fools play.

If you are actually a law student/lawyer, you should have a lot more sympathy to the crippling stress and serious consequences that this stage of a legal education entails.

If you are not actually a law student/lawyer, you do not belong in this thread and you are exacerbating someone's stress when you do not need to.

Either way, you are an irredeemable rear end in a top hat.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

If you are actually a law student/lawyer, you should have a lot more sympathy to the crippling stress and serious consequences that this stage of a legal education entails.

If you are not actually a law student/lawyer, you do not belong in this thread and you are exacerbating someone's stress when you do not need to.

SV, I have seen some incredibly mean and weird stuff from you (not directed at me) over the last five or six years, so if you think my post is excessive, then I have profoundly missed the mark and I am deeply sorry to everyone who had to read my terribly unfunny joke.

Bar-takers, most bars are not hard and you are definitely fine as long as you get through most of the content and don't try to cram it into the last two weeks. People in this thread have done that and succeeded, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that.

Edit: Real talk, I also don't think that you (bar-takers) should value yourselves any differently no matter what happens. It's human nature to do so but it's a really bad habit to get into. You have worked hard to get to this point and incredibly unfair, random things happen to everyone all the time. I am sure that you have it in you to be okay, but if you work hard and still freeze up or oversleep you aren't any less of a person because of it. And when you do get to the other side--and I'm sure you will--you aren't better than anyone else, either.

I got incredibly mean and unhappy during the second half of my bar summer and I shouldn't joke about it, much less make it more likely for other people to feel the same way. I feel genuinely bad about it, especially since even though I talk every day to people I met through this thread, I don't post here much anymore, and my poo poo came out of the blue. I'm really sorry.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 28, 2014

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Soothing Vapors posted:

i see what u did there

i get u

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Sulecrist posted:

SV, I have seen some incredibly mean and weird stuff from you (not directed at me) over the last five or six years, so if you think my post is excessive, then I have profoundly missed the mark and I am deeply sorry to everyone who had to read my terribly unfunny joke.

Bar-takers, most bars are not hard and you are definitely fine as long as you get through most of the content and don't try to cram it into the last two weeks. People in this thread have done that and succeeded, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that.
psst hover over the period

Feces Starship posted:

i see what u did there

i get u

:love:

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

psst hover over the period

:love:

Well it's too late now!

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Psh, how many bar exams have you taken? One? Great to hear an uninformed opinion.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Sulecrist posted:

Well it's too late now!

I feel bad now. Your post was good and it was funny which is a rare jewel in this, the Worst of Threads. You must drive yourself down to the desert and lay down in the scalding sands. Let the sun scorch you, burning away your skin and your fat and your conscience, till only bleached bones and hatred remain. Only then are you truly a lawyer.

mikeraskol posted:

Psh, how many bar exams have you taken? One? Great to hear an uninformed opinion.

That one has to be in like my top 10 favorite posts of all time

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

I feel bad now. Your post was good and it was funny which is a rare jewel in this, the Worst of Threads. You must drive yourself down to the desert and lay down in the scalding sands. Let the sun scorch you, burning away your skin and your fat and your conscience, till only bleached bones and hatred remain. Only then are you truly a lawyer.

I would definitely be a better lawyer and cyberbully if I didn't feel guilt so keenly my armour were contempt.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

mikeraskol posted:

Gold.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013
I had a lot of fun studying for the Bar. I'd go watch stupid videos in the morning, and then go to the lake and drink beer all afternoon. That's why you go to the classes, to meet up with the people you're going to spend the afternoon drinking beer with.

Also, I know plenty of people who failed the bar the first time and mostly they have jobs.

Also, also, I'm licensed in three states, and for dumbfuck reasons had to take three bars. Good luck to you poor bastards in July.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

WestLaw is discontinuing their rewards program. I never paid any attention to it but I just cashed out my meager points and in 4-6 weeks I will be the owner of a lovely electric toothbrush.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
I'm just glad I'm not taking California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

CaptainScraps posted:

Come do Family Law with me and Roger.

Don't loving do it elotana. Family law is the most goddamn soul sucking thing I've ever had to do as a lawyer. I'd rather suck a thousand thorny cocks than ever take another family law case in my life. Each client is progressively worse than the last, and your only hope for winning a case is trying it in the sweet spot between the time you file the suit and the time your client inevitably destroys themselves by doing meth in a biker bar, driving their kid on their lap to the visitation, or getting arrested for making GBS threads in public.

I had a 6 hour final hearing about a kid today. The judge let the other side actually put on a tedious, brain destroying 5 hour case, litigating every. Single. Thing. That happened in the relationship. The only joy I had in my entire day was the knowledge that I was coming home to a glass of straight vodka. I actually started an objection with "Jesus, judge, this again? Object to relevance."