Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sab669 posted:

Will this games PVP / Group Finder be cross-server like WoW's?

I kind of hope not, I liked how "personal" it was in WoW when it was just your server; you got to actually know people in battlegrounds and have rivalries. It was fun.

If you are into your queues taking sixty minutes instead of six seconds you can enable realm-only queueing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

a cat on an apple posted:

All the way up to Level 50, the only thing that really matters separating you from being a Healer role or a DPS role is your weapon. Just keep one of each type on-hand and you'll be absolutely fine. At Level 15, you get a second AMP system, so you can use all of your AMPs for DPS at first without issue.
I wrote a big loving long reply but Katten got it in a couple sentences. You can shove your abilities around between roles at really any time you want as well and there are addons like this one to help make it easier:
http://wildstargoons.com/index.php?threads/sassybuilds-for-switching-las-setups.75/

If you are playing any class and they seem to be having trouble soloing or feel slow you probably will change your mind by around level 15-20 where the options seem to really start to open up. Learn how to Moment of Opportunity though because anyone can do that at a low level and it's a nice chunk of bonus damage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVbGA-0MZCk

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
Quite possible that I am blind - Any guilds/server for EU PVE Goons?

(Wife aint too interested in PVP, and I think that if she gets hooked, she might take the step up and starting PVP IRL, and I know her skills with hitting people in the back of the head with a frying pan...)

Asendancy , Dominion?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
The EU guild is going to be on the English Language PVP server (Hazak), and will be Dominion.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Uxzuigal posted:

Quite possible that I am blind - Any guilds/server for EU PVE Goons?

(Wife aint too interested in PVP, and I think that if she gets hooked, she might take the step up and starting PVP IRL, and I know her skills with hitting people in the back of the head with a frying pan...)

Asendancy , Dominion?
Quoting myself from the offsite forums:

If you must go PVE then cool, but I HUMBLY ENTREAT you to consider rolling with us instead. If it turns out to be your worst nightmare of being ganked and teabagged by merciless rabbit people then you can always reroll, but honestly it won't be that bad, whereas having to play with pubbies is worse than you can possibly imagine.

Also, being on a PVP server doesn't mean you don't do PVE. Its probably not necessary to say this but apparently some goons got this idea :wtc:

hit button fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 28, 2014

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
At the risk of causing another shitfit derail:

I'm a little torn on PVP/PVE. On the one hand, since this is my first MMO involving factions, it might be fun to give PVP a try for the first time and see if it ends up being too bullshit. On the other hand, Exiles have the best races (yes, Chua are awesome, but I think I actually like Exile Humans and Granok better for the space-cowboy/George-S-Patton-made-of-rock themes) and it looks like my choices are Exile/PVE or Dominion/PVP. On the first hand again, though, it's looking like the Pergo guild has a little more momentum participation-wise.

Realistically I'm just gonna end up making a snap decision based on my whims when I roll my first character, but in the meantime I'm worrying about this way too much.

e: Yeah, though, Exiles also have Aurin and you guys make an excellent point that Dominion/PVP means getting to kill them...

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

loquacius posted:

I'm a little torn on PVP/PVE. On the one hand, since this is my first MMO involving factions, it might be fun to give PVP a try for the first time and see if it ends up being too bullshit.
Do it. We'll back you up. I would say more but it would be broken record poo poo.

Warb0ss
Jul 22, 2011
Just learned about this game and I am looking into pre-order. Trying to decide whether to roll pve or pvp. Are the server differences about the same as what they are in WoW?

Garbo
May 30, 2011

loquacius posted:

I'm a little torn on PVP/PVE. On the one hand, since this is my first MMO involving factions, it might be fun to give PVP a try for the first time and see if it ends up being too bullshit. On the other hand, Exiles have the best races (yes, Chua are awesome, but I think I actually like Exile Humans and Granok better for the space-cowboy/George-S-Patton-made-of-rock themes) and it looks like my choices are Exile/PVE or Dominion/PVP. On the first hand again, though, it's looking like the Pergo guild has a little more momentum participation-wise.

Realistically I'm just gonna end up making a snap decision based on my whims when I roll my first character, but in the meantime I'm worrying about this way too much.

e: Yeah, though, Exiles also have Aurin and you guys make an excellent point that Dominion/PVP means getting to kill them...

If you're torn I'd honestly just roll characters on both and get a feel for the different servers and different guilds.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Chairman posted:

For PVE, by default it's cross-server, but you have the option to search for same-server parties only. I don't know what it's like for PVP.

It's the same, with the same only-my-server options.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Warb0ss posted:

Just learned about this game and I am looking into pre-order. Trying to decide whether to roll pve or pvp. Are the server differences about the same as what they are in WoW?

It's pretty much the same ruleset, yes.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I never got far enough with a single character to unlock the second action set - are AMP loadouts shared between them, or could you have a DPS AMP set and a support AMP set and switch between them when you change action sets?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Dr Snofeld posted:

I never got far enough with a single character to unlock the second action set - are AMP loadouts shared between them, or could you have a DPS AMP set and a support AMP set and switch between them when you change action sets?

AMPs are seperate, that's basically why it's there so you don't have to keep paying money to switch between tank/heal/dps.

Lionguild
Sep 5, 2013
Reading about Widow being dubbed the unofficial Oceanic-PvP server? and also an unofficial RP-PvP server? Just saying this so we don't get the idea to change our main server to roll on, hopefully not to many goons roll Pago by mistake.

Lionguild fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 28, 2014

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
Can anyone compare Spellslinger healing to anything in WoW or another MMO?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Interstellar Owl posted:

Had a friend describe it to me as 'A Ranged Disciple of Khaine from Warhammer Online', dunno how accurate that is though.

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

I am the great Cornholio!

Lionguild posted:

Reading about Widow being dubbed the unofficial Oceanic-PvP server? and also an unofficial RP-PvP server? Just saying this so we don't get the idea to change our main server to roll on, hopefully not to many goons roll Pago by mistake.

Anyone who is too stupid to tell the difference between Pergo and Pago are probably not anyone we want in the guild anyway.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

So my brother has convinced me that this is gonna be awesome. I'm hoping to go full-on healer Medic, since it's usually my favorite MMO role. Will that make leveling solo an exercise in mind-shattering tedium or what? I mean I can go DPS and respec at level cap, but how will all that blood wash off my robo-hands?

Also, is the standard "pick a crafting skill that can craft something you can use, pick a gathering skill that can collect mats for your crafting skill" optimal?

I'm authed on the forums and I've been reading threads and stuff, but not being in the beta makes me feel kind of behind.

Healing doesn't really open up until you can start doing 5mans at level 15, and you get dual-spec at 15. My advice would be to make sure you try out healing once you reach that point though, because healing as a medic is unique in a way that not everyone likes. I went full-on healer medic and it turned me off of the game completely.

Warb0ss
Jul 22, 2011

cathead posted:

AMPs are seperate, that's basically why it's there so you don't have to keep paying money to switch between tank/heal/dps.

Sounds good! I like the dynamics of the PVP servers but gravitate towards PVE content, is it safe to assume Goons will most likely have a good raiding-core on the PVP server?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Interstellar Owl posted:

It's hard to make a comparison since most games don't do anything remotely similar. If I had to compare it to something it would maybe be Priest in Tera, simply because most of your heals are freeform (i.e. not targetted, use telegraphs on the ground instead) so you'll need to make sure to actually hit people with them. Spellslingers specifically tend to have narrow but long range telegraphs on their heals so you'll need to have decent aim. They do have a few targetted abilities as well though.

The other big thing is you'll need to manage their spellsurge mechanic, which is a toggled skill that gives a bonus to abilities while it's turned on at the cost of their class-specific "spell power" resource. Using it gives some heals a pretty significant boost (and overall makes the class pretty excellent at burst healing) so you'll need to know what to use it on when. Additionally, since the last patch, spellsurging heals will incur an extra focus cost (basically your mana, it's a seperate resource from the aforementioned spell power) over time which differs depending on which spells are surged, so there's a fair bit of decision making there as to what to use it on to manage your throughput vs efficiency.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Warb0ss posted:

Sounds good! I like the dynamics of the PVP servers but gravitate towards PVE content, is it safe to assume Goons will most likely have a good raiding-core on the PVP server?

Yes, whats stopping them from PvE?

Jfizzoid
Feb 8, 2005
sproing

loquacius posted:

Do what I'm doing. Roll on both servers and hang out a bit. See which group of people seems the best to chillax with and you'll gravitate to one. No big deal.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Ad by Khad posted:

Healing doesn't really open up until you can start doing 5mans at level 15, and you get dual-spec at 15. My advice would be to make sure you try out healing once you reach that point though, because healing as a medic is unique in a way that not everyone likes. I went full-on healer medic and it turned me off of the game completely.

What about medic healing turned you off? I'm going back and forth about rolling a medic or a spellslinger, so I'm interested to hear the pros and cons of both.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

flipoff posted:

What about medic healing turned you off? I'm going back and forth about rolling a medic or a spellslinger, so I'm interested to hear the pros and cons of both.

If you're planning on PvPing I'll tell you that killing a Spellslinger is WAY easier for me as a Warrior or Stalker than killing a Medic. Spellslinger has more mobility, but less area denial and they seem a lot more squishy. Medic can't so much escape the meleers, but they heal through the damage very well and can put down some damage/snare of their own in large patches of ground.

Ironlung37
May 16, 2005
Hi there guys, was hoping to have our guild Perfect Gamers added to the list. A group of us are really set on playing Exile on a PVP server, so we figure why not roll on Pergo so that at least we'll know the pvp will be competetive! So far we have about 15 of us, normally all of which are Day 1 Mal'ganis goons from WoW. The majority of us are also well experienced in high end raiding, from WoW to SWTOR to FF14, some are still active on Mal'ganis even today.

So we hope if you have an itch for Exile, but don't want to play on some nanny PVE server, you'll come join us! All specifics for raiding and warplots will be more fleshed out when we get closer to being able to field that number of players in game. Look forward to playing with or against all of you!

Edit for ingame names: Contact in game - Ironlung or Totmur.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Ironlung37 posted:

Hi there guys, was hoping to have our guild Perfect Gamers added to the list. A group of us are really set on playing Exile on a PVP server, so we figure why not roll on Pergo so that at least we'll know the pvp will be competetive! So far we have about 15 of us, normally all of which are Day 1 Mal'ganis goons from WoW. The majority of us are also well experienced in high end raiding, from WoW to SWTOR to FF14, some are still active on Mal'ganis even today.

So we hope if you have an itch for Exile, but don't want to play on some nanny PVE server, you'll come join us! All specifics for raiding and warplots will be more fleshed out when we get closer to being able to field that number of players in game. Look forward to playing with or against all of you!

Edit for ingame names: Contact in game - Ironlung or Totmur.

YOU'RE TEARING THIS FAMILY APART. Nice credentials though, I'll make sure the right people see this.

Ironlung37
May 16, 2005

Cronodoculous posted:

YOU'RE TEARING THIS FAMILY APART. Nice credentials though, I'll make sure the right people see this.

Thanks! Definitely not trying to cause splintering or any other drama, just hoping to provide a nice stable home for fellow rockmen and rebels who would like a little pvp with the Exiles! Besides you're not allowed to splinter until you've spent all your dkp right?

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Can you fish in this game

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
More polls! This time it's Carbine's own.

Look like the fear of being ganked, may be......overstated.

http://strawpoll.me/1770774

If it's anywhere near representative, it's about what I expected to start. The PvP servers will be grossly imbalanced towards evil-but-pretty Dominion, and the PvE towards the Exiles.

Kewpuh posted:

Nope. It was in the Alpha I believe, but it got yanked. Some word that it might be re-added post launch.

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 28, 2014

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Kewpuh posted:

Fishing. Cannon.

Warb0ss
Jul 22, 2011
How critical is your choice in Paths? I've watched the dev video. Is one much more profitable, or have access to better loot than another? How prone is Settler to PvP issues?

Gold Dust Gasoline
Jul 11, 2006

just be yourself and you'll be fine
Pillbug

Iron Tusk posted:

If it's anywhere near representative, it's about what I expected to start. The PvP servers will be grossly imbalanced towards evil-but-pretty Dominion, and the PvE towards the Exiles.

Nope. It was in the Alpha I believe, but it got yanked. Some word that it might be re-added post launch.

Holy poo poo we should roll exile then. Queues will be retarded and there won't be anyone to kill in open PvP.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
Downloading, waiting to unleash my scientist, medic rabbit person!

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Iron Tusk posted:

Oh okay. I thought fishing was okay in FF11 I think because it was interesting and it was okay in WOW because you could get cool poo poo like Mr Pinchy but uh no other game really does much with it which is kind of a bummer

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Ironlung37 posted:

Thanks! Definitely not trying to cause splintering or any other drama, just hoping to provide a nice stable home for fellow rockmen and rebels who would like a little pvp with the Exiles! Besides you're not allowed to splinter until you've spent all your dkp right?

Okay I've looked over your CV some more and I like what I see, but I'm not finding any Griefing certifications here. As you may know we require all goon guild leaders to have a Basic Griefing Skills certificate, and 6 continuing education units each year. Of course we can overlook this given proper griefing experience, provided you also get those CEUs done promptly.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Warb0ss posted:

How critical is your choice in Paths? I've watched the dev video. Is one much more profitable, or have access to better loot than another? How prone is Settler to PvP issues?

Not critical at all.

Seriously, Paths are meant to be a supplement to things that you would already do. They have no real tangible benefits outside of specifically for things that you would have done anyway if you chose your path honestly.

Basically, think about the four playstyles they offer and decide on the one that you were going to do the most of regardless, and regard it as nothing but occasional vanity rewards for doing what you would have done anyway.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

Gold Dust Gasoline posted:

Holy poo poo we should roll exile then. Queues will be retarded and there won't be anyone to kill in open PvP.

Nah, that poll is bullshit. I'm watching it being spammed right now...

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kewpuh posted:

Oh okay. I thought fishing was okay in FF11 I think because it was interesting and it was okay in WOW because you could get cool poo poo like Mr Pinchy but uh no other game really does much with it which is kind of a bummer

That kind of sums up why they pulled it. I think the official reason was "not very fun". So maybe if it comes back it will be interesting.

blueberrysmith posted:

Nah, that poll is bullshit. I'm watching it being spammed right now...

They put it up on their Facebook page, so I'd expect that kind of response. But at the same time, it's still somewhat typical of factional MMO launches post Warhammer.

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 28, 2014

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
That poll is worthless, option "Exile PvP" is getting 4 votes per second now.

How loving sad do you need to be to put effort into screwing up a poll about video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Iron Tusk posted:

Someone's vote bombing it now. The Exile PVP vote is going up at 3+/second and no other categories are going up at any kind of similar rate.

It was 75/25 Dominion PVP and 75/25 Exile PVE before it got bombed, but it could have gotten bombed earlier and I didn't notice.

• Locked thread