Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Yeah, you guys are on track - I should get something small/cheap for that activity. Maybe a weatherproof compact. A jersey pocket seems like the perfect killing grounds for electronics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

krooj posted:

Yeah, you guys are on track - I should get something small/cheap for that activity. Maybe a weatherproof compact. A jersey pocket seems like the perfect killing grounds for electronics.

Too bad the RX100 wouldn't fit those needs. It's quite small and has amazing IQ.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Get an RX100 or S110 and put it in a plastic bag while its in your jersey.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's a little big for a jersey pocked, but the RX100 fits the Pelican 1010 case perfectly. The inner padding is sized like it was designed for the RX100.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Why does it need to be in a cycling jersey pocket? I feel like you have visions of cruising at top speed down a road, seeing a beautiful sight, and whipping your camera out of your pocket and taking this perfect picture while still pedaling on. That's just asking for a blurry, crooked mess of a photo. Any time you'd realistically be taking photos, you'd get off your bike, and compose, and it's not that much effort to pull the camera out of a pack under your seat or wherever.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Comedy option: Google Glass

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Get a S110, flash it with CHDK, so you mount it on the bike and shoot time lapse photos with it.

And a XM-1 and a XF14mm, highest image quality to size ratio landscape shooter. :smuggo:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

krooj posted:

A ride with an om-d clipped onto my backpacks strap using a camera clip.

Living on the edge :getin:

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Costello Jello posted:

Why does it need to be in a cycling jersey pocket? I feel like you have visions of cruising at top speed down a road, seeing a beautiful sight, and whipping your camera out of your pocket and taking this perfect picture while still pedaling on. That's just asking for a blurry, crooked mess of a photo. Any time you'd realistically be taking photos, you'd get off your bike, and compose, and it's not that much effort to pull the camera out of a pack under your seat or wherever.

Agree with this. I take my Ricoh GR when I go riding. It's light, fits in a normal sized saddle bag, quick to operate and takes excellent shots.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Yeah, I would put it in whatever the bicycling equivalent to a motorcycle's tank bag is.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
guys pls be realistic - a saddle bag would clash so hard with my 404s

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

krooj posted:

guys pls be realistic - a saddle bag would clash so hard with my 404s

You need to bring a chase car with all your gear.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Mr. Despair posted:

You need to bring a chase car with all your gear.

Fanny pack.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Fanny pack.

it would have to match my jersey

- XXL of course

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
If you have 12 minutes it's hilarious to watch Chris Niccolls Leica T review in which he complains bitterly about nearly every aspect of the Leica T, aside from the way it looks, while trying to avoid saying anything too off-putting to a potential Leica buyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZbwJch0gA4

His ending note is that there is basically no reason to buy the camera other than love. Love of what, exactly? Leica, I guess.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Dren posted:

If you have 12 minutes it's hilarious to watch Chris Niccolls Leica T review in which he complains bitterly about nearly every aspect of the Leica T, aside from the way it looks, while trying to avoid saying anything too off-putting to a potential Leica buyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZbwJch0gA4

His ending note is that there is basically no reason to buy the camera other than love. Love of what, exactly? Leica, I guess.

1) I want to do violence on him for many things, but mostly for saying "ISO" like it's a word.
2) poo poo you can do in Canada but not the US: shoot video of a guy taking pictures of an embassy and not get shot in the face.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I've noticed in other videos he says EOS as a word. Canon Eeyoss.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Trip report: fuji 56mm is a a really goddamn nice lens but is slow as poo poo on the xpro-1.

Needs a focusing speed update or something.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

SoundMonkey posted:

1) I want to do violence on him for many things, but mostly for saying "ISO" like it's a word.
2) poo poo you can do in Canada but not the US: shoot video of a guy taking pictures of an embassy and not get shot in the face.

I just realized that when I say it out loud, it's eye-ess-oh, but if I'm reading along in my head my brain pronounces it like ice-oh.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

SoundMonkey posted:

It's a pronounceable abbreviation, so it's fair game. Just like laser, sonar, scuba, etc.

Eye say eye so.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

feigning interest posted:

I do both of these and I'm not sorry.

Also that viewfinder is the ugliest thing you could possibly attach to that camera.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I'm trying to help my sister choose a second lens to get for a NEX-3F even though I have no about photography. She has the 18-55mm lens that came with the camera but wants something smaller for travel/everyday carry around since the 18-55 is kind of long. These are the ones that I think would work http://camerasize.com/compact/#325.88,325.117,325.360,325.369,ha,t and I found an SELP1650 for $140 but does it serve the same purpose as the 18-55 just more compact? Or is a fixed focal pancake lens "better"?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The 20mm pancake is ok, and the PZ lens is literally her lens but smaller. Unfortunately the NEX doesn't have a lot of actually small lenses.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really like the 20mm pancake on my A6000. From what I've read, the 16-50 power zoom is optically kindof terrible. The 20mm isn't on par with the non-pancake Sony primes but it's still a lot better than the 16-50 I'd wager.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The 16-50mm is functionally the same as the normal kit lens, which is terrible yes. It barrels really bad until 20mm, and then it's just soft as hell until at least f8 elsewhere.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

SoundMonkey posted:

You need to check your facts if you're going to hate on people for being "wrong". "ISO" is perfectly fine pronounced as a word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYBVTeqKahk

And again, perfectly acceptable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0taULWDk8fY

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Thanks Elliotw2 and powderific. I'll see if she thinks cutting the lens length by a third is worth 250 to her.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, the Camera Size link has the 19mm on it, if she thinks that's small enough go for it. It and the other Sigma lenses are some of the best you can get in the E-mount, and cheap too.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

Jimlad posted:

You need to check your facts if you're going to hate on people for being "wrong". "ISO" is perfectly fine pronounced as a word.

And again, perfectly acceptable.

Let's call the whole thing off.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

SoundMonkey posted:

He's a nice guy, I bought a battery from him!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Cacator posted:

He's a nice guy, I bought a battery from him!

I like his videos. In that one his total inability to find anything he liked about that Leica really conflicted with his job as a camera store owner who needs to find some redeeming quality in his merchandise in order to sell it. His videos on, say, the fujis, are much better since they are great and that makes them easy to recommend.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Dren posted:

I like his videos. In that one his total inability to find anything he liked about that Leica really conflicted with his job as a camera store owner who needs to find some redeeming quality in his merchandise in order to sell it. His videos on, say, the fujis, are much better since they are great and that makes them easy to recommend.

I thought it was funny as hell for exactly this reason. He clearly hated the thing.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

grack posted:

I thought it was funny as hell for exactly this reason. He clearly hated the thing.

I can imagine losing a few hairs on the back of his head to that rubber strap probably didn't help.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

Oh, the Camera Size link has the 19mm on it, if she thinks that's small enough go for it. It and the other Sigma lenses are some of the best you can get in the E-mount, and cheap too.

Unfortunately, at least for mine, the autofocus is a dog and the focus ring sticks on the 30mm. Not sure about the 19mm. The IQ is really awesome, though. It is just a bitch to use.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

I can imagine losing a few hairs on the back of his head to that rubber strap probably didn't help.

The world of camera reviews is no different than that of any other consumer review subculture: It's useful for determining what's good, not what's bad. Praise the good stuff, be neutral-at-worst about the bad stuff so they won't stop sending copies to you.

Basically the only consumer review on anything you should ever think about trusting should come from a place that only reviews post-release copies which they've had for a while.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

MasterBuilder posted:

...I found an SELP1650 for $140 but does it serve the same purpose as the 18-55 just more compact?
Having had both the 18-55 and the 16-50 I can say a couple things. Supposedly optically it's worse than the 18-55 but in every day use I'm not noticing much difference. I do find the extra 2mm on the wide side useful and don't miss the 5mm on the long end. It is much smaller, it might not seem like much but the difference on the camera is very noticable. It's much lighter and small enough that it makes a NEX pocketable, at least with large pockets. That said it doesn't feel nearly as solid as the 18-55, it feels kinda cheap to be honest.

I never liked my 18-55, almost never used it, the 16-50 on the other hand I've gotten a lot of use out of. I used to leave the 16mm pancake on all the time but with the 16-50 it's pretty much useless aside from the wide angle and fisheye adaptors for it.

I'd vote for the 16-50, it serves the same purpose as the 18-55 but is nearly as small as the 16mm or 20mm pancakes making them pretty much useless as well. If she needs something better for low light find a 35f18 or a 50f18 they are also pretty small and both are quite good optically.

Grater fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 30, 2014

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

grack posted:

Holy crap, there's a lot wrong with that camera.

I felt like I was watching a review of the latest Canon budget DSLR and have it finish with 'it's not bad for the money'

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Well, yeah.

snappo
Jun 18, 2006
Stop being lazy, it's called International Standards Organization. Who else is excited about the forthcoming Sony a7s? Now THAT is some wicked International Standards Organization performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

id107
Aug 1, 2004
put optional title text here

snappo posted:

Stop being lazy, it's called International Standards Organization. Who else is excited about the forthcoming Sony a7s? Now THAT is some wicked International Standards Organization performance.

Nah, it's international-standard-ISO-12232:2006-as-released-by-the-International-Organization-for-Standardization-typically-confused-with-the standard-on-film-speeds-by-the-American-Standards-Association-now-named-the-American-National-Standards-Institute performance. The International Organization for Standardization made more than one international standard, so be clear which international standard performace you mean.