Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Your Friend posted:

It's a Nintendo first party game so of course it's going to have it.

Uh, last I checked most games didn't have support for it. That could have changed though.

Liquid Penguins posted:

I hope you can have more than 2 players locally if someone is using the gamepad screen. (not talking about online at all)

Pretty sure you can but if there's more than 1 player, you can't play using the gamepad as a screen. You just use it as a controller for multiplayer.

Yeah... pretty dumb, and kinda makes you question the whole WiiU gimmick, if Nintendo can't even implement it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh, last I checked most games didn't have support for it. That could have changed though.

The vast majority of games support off-tv play and have from the very beginning. The only ones that don't are games that require both screens like Nintendo Land or Zombi U or whatever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The vast majority of games support off-tv play and have from the very beginning. The only ones that don't are games that require both screens like Nintendo Land or Zombi U or whatever.

Weird, I swear I tried doing it with lots of games and couldn't find a way, and I remember them having to patch it in to Monster Hunter months after release. I haven't played much WiiU in months and months, though.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Weird, I swear I tried doing it with lots of games and couldn't find a way, and I remember them having to patch it in to Monster Hunter months after release. I haven't played much WiiU in months and months, though.

Cool, you don't know much of anything then, sit down nerd.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Is there a WiiU megathread somewhere?

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

KingEup posted:

Is there a WiiU megathread somewhere?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549771
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3507212
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635669
Take your pick :banjo:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I wonder what parts to go with since as far as I know the cool plane isn't available in this one.

The Battleship one looks cool but apparently it's heavy as poo poo.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Crawfish posted:

I wonder what parts to go with since as far as I know the cool plane isn't available in this one.

The Battleship one looks cool but apparently it's heavy as poo poo.

You can find all the vehicle stats right here: http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Kart_8#Vehicle_parts :flashfact:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Oh man, they made a kart homage to Steel Diver. This generations Blue Falcon kart.

Probably going with the Biddybuggy myself though. It's a shame they didn't do a Gold Bike or Gold Buggy option to go along with the Golden Kart.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

JordanKai posted:

You can find all the vehicle stats right here: http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Kart_8#Vehicle_parts :flashfact:

How lame. Everything is basically the same.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

How lame. Everything is basically the same.
Well, there's only so many different stat combinations you can add without breaking something. There's a decent variety, I feel, just multiple of the same stat combination.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
True, but it would be nice to see differences in the stats. It's like they might look different, but they all fall into one of three categories why not vary it up a bit?

I'm guessing this means the characters are all about the same, too.

E: Yep, they are.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 29, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There... is a differecne in stats? I'm not sure what you're saying. I count about 10 different combinations across the bodies. You can combine characters, karts, wheels, and gliders to get the exact stat combination you want.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Endorph posted:

There... is a differecne in stats? I'm not sure what you're saying. I count about 10 different combinations across the bodies. You can combine characters, karts, wheels, and gliders to get the exact stat combination you want.

There are 5 groupings of stats for the people. Rather than everyone being unique, you get 2 smalls, 2 mediums and 3 large. But in those categories the characters are exactly the same.

I like MKWii with everyone being slightly different and every vehicle being slightly different. Sure you can mix and match now, but you could have two completely different combos that statistically are exactly the same. :smith:

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

The trouble with everyone being unique is that it means every single person will play as Funky Kong on whichever bike was the best.

At least this way, everyone will be playing only 1 weight class and only one specific subsection of karts or what have you.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's true. It just seems they could have gone an extra step in balancing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

There are 5 groupings of stats for the people. Rather than everyone being unique, you get 2 smalls, 2 mediums and 3 large. But in those categories the characters are exactly the same.

I like MKWii with everyone being slightly different and every vehicle being slightly different. Sure you can mix and match now, but you could have two completely different combos that statistically are exactly the same. :smith:
I like that, though. It means that if I want a specific stat set-up, I'm not locked into using a kart or character that I don't like the look of, I have options.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

The T posted:

The trouble with everyone being unique is that it means every single person will play as Funky Kong
You seem to be implying that there's a problem with this scenario. :colbert:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Trash Boat posted:

You seem to be implying that there's a problem with this scenario. :colbert:

The real problem is no funky kong.

I really hope there is dlc.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Um you have metal mario, luigi and peach, and like 4 babies what more could you ask for???

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Metal Baby Funky Kong

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
^^^^This.

E: Maybe Baby Metal WaFunky Kong.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oh hey, the web app is live:
https://mariokart.tv/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I kinda wanna steal this interface for my own site, it's so simple and to the point. Probably looks good on a phone too.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I don't know how many of these I'll watch or make but goddamn do these videos highlight how good this game looks.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

If there are any Australians here that are looking at picking this up from Big W with its already low price, you may as well print this out and take it with you.

$63 for a physical Mario Kart 8, Virtual Console Super Mario Kart and free digital Wii U game sure beats the $80 deal they have going on the eShop.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
What time will the game be available on the North American eShop on Friday? I always forget.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Midnight EST.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
What does it mean?

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

So is Bowser Jr. really not in this time? Cmon nintendo

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

It means, at the very least, they are prepared to put out DLC for MK8.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

StreetsAhead of NeoGAF posted:

Collab ad in Japan, free dlc released in summer, holding a tournament using the special kart at some point. On my phone, sorry.

Which sounds similar to that one golfing cross promo Nintendo did with Mario Golf: World Tour. I'm thinking future DLC packs aren't entirely out of the question now.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Judging from livestreamers I would assume that international play is mostly lag free.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

It looks real nice.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mercedes DLC had to be the last thing I expected to see in Mario Kart.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

The commercial is pretty good.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Now we need a Mario Kart GT DLC pack with licensed cars from everyone.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A whole load of new TV ads for the UK with goofy lab tests for the new stuff, and pushing the Racing Reinvented tagline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rNNg5P4k-w

Mammalian
Nov 9, 2011

Not just any Jesus Mammalian Jesus
Pre-ordered my copy from Shopto.net (I'm in the UK - London) about a month ago, they processed it Monday and dispatched it Wednesday, now I'm at work and my brother's at home playing it and sending me "weegee time" texts.

It's going to be annoying sharing it with everyone else when all I want to do is get 3* on everything or whatever the MK8 equivalent is :mmmsmug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I cannot believe Nintendo does not allow a 2 player mode where one player uses the TV and the other uses the WiiU screen. :psyduck:

That was one of the greatest things about Sonic Racing.

Despite this, I still want it. I am trying to get the Best Buy $10 gas card deal, but bestbuy.com is all hosed up. I am clicking the page to preorder it, and where it says "Get $10 gas card, click here to find out how", it just links me back to the Mario Kart 8 page. I tried 3 different browsers and 2 different computers.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/mario-kart-8-121399

Does clicking "Get $10 Gas Cash: Find Out How" work for anyone?

If I preorder it on their website today, and go to pick it up tomorrow, will I get the gas card? I got close to checkout but there was nothing in the shopping cart showing a gas card.

• Locked thread