Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barco Fiesta
May 26, 2009

a fantasy of olives
what the heck do i do with it now? any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
gi joe game

that wierd black and white game where you're a cyberninja

the f-14 game

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Glass Bottom Boat posted:

what the heck do i do with it now? any ideas?

berzerk

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Barco Fiesta
May 26, 2009

a fantasy of olives
good ideas one and all

whats a good program to make cool chiptunes on the c64? i wanna do that

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
play little computer people and below the root

Screaming Hand
Jul 30, 2004

http://girls.c64.org/a__stroker.php

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I once tried out C64 emulation specifically to confirm in my mind that Give my Regards to Broad Street really, actually exists.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr-fLQx_ccI

also castle wolfenstein

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
lords of midnight

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxsxYEUZLaE

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
Play:

Pool of Radiance
Mail Order Monsters
Suspended
Leather Goddesses of Phobos
Zork I, II, III
Roadwar 2000
Bard's Tale

Go for it!

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Can it run Dark Souls?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
No but some of the games on the C64 were just as ball fuckingly hard.

I learned how to program in C on a Commodore 128 so long ago. The Commodore 128 was fully compatible with the Commodore 64. They didn't accomplish this through any sort of emulation or backwards compatible hardware, they just stuck a full C64 mainboard in the C128 case and gave you a switch you could flip on the side. You pretty much never used 128 mode since by the time it came out better computers were available that cost less and the C64 already had a massive library of good software.

You could probably learn the Commodore's dialect of Basic in an hour OP. That computer had no funky protected mode memory or hardware security levels or any of that junk we have to deal with today. Once you were staring at that blinking cursor on a blue screen you had total access to every device and byte of memory in the machine, including its awesome sound chip. Find a C64 programming manual somewhere and figure out how to PEEK and POKE the sound system into making whatever noise you like.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 28, 2014

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

50 Foot Ant posted:

Play:

Pool of Radiance
Mail Order Monsters
Suspended
Zork I, II, III
Roadwar 2000
Bard's Tale

Go for it!

Also

M.U.L.E.
Archon

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Jumpman/Jumpman Jr.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

50 Foot Ant posted:

Play:

Pool of Radiance
Mail Order Monsters
Suspended
Zork I, II, III
Roadwar 2000
Bard's Tale

Go for it!

add Mr. Do and Spyhunter. And loving Tapper.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
Oh, and when you get into these games, don't expect them to be nice to you.

C-64 games hate you. Personally. They were coded to hate, and have been sitting online, stewing in that hatred, waiting for you and you alone to download so that they may spew their hate across you like a Japanese schoolgirl at a bukkake convention.

Wait till you get deeper into Bard's Tale and realize that there is no minimap, you forgot to map on graph paper this dungeon, and now your lost and the random encounters take 15 minutes PER TURN to scroll by, while the C-64 loving LAUGHS at you by hammering the head of the drive against the side as if to say "You suck."

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Ema Nymton posted:

I once tried out C64 emulation specifically to confirm in my mind that Give my Regards to Broad Street really, actually exists.

what the gently caress is that? I youtubed it it looks awful and music ripoffy.

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

good ideas one and all

why.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

50 Foot Ant posted:

Oh, and when you get into these games, don't expect them to be nice to you.

C-64 games hate you. Personally. They were coded to hate, and have been sitting online, stewing in that hatred, waiting for you and you alone to download so that they may spew their hate across you like a Japanese schoolgirl at a bukkake convention.

Wait till you get deeper into Bard's Tale and realize that there is no minimap, you forgot to map on graph paper this dungeon, and now your lost and the random encounters take 15 minutes PER TURN to scroll by, while the C-64 loving LAUGHS at you by hammering the head of the drive against the side as if to say "You suck."

And it took loving forever to load anything off the tape drive or the lovely first version 5" floppy drive.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

good ideas one and all

PEEK and POKE fun!. But don't POKE to much or you might overwrite something important and gently caress your current session. Computers with real mode memory are fun!

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

DSauer posted:

And it took loving forever to load anything off the tape drive or the lovely first version 5" floppy drive.

gently caress yeah. The WORST were the loving Olympic Games ones.

Put in the Summer Games II disk.

LOAD *.*,8,1

Go make yourself a sandwich. Sit down and watch Transformers. Make sure it didn't error out. Go do your chores. Check the loading screen. Go do your homework. Talk on the phone to your girlfriend. Go back. Stare at the screen. YAY! It's loaded! Do three dives into the water.

Repeat.

Barco Fiesta
May 26, 2009

a fantasy of olives

DSauer posted:

No but some of the games on the C64 were just as ball fuckingly hard.

I learned how to program in C on a Commodore 128 so long ago. The Commodore 128 was fully compatible with the Commodore 64. They didn't accomplish this through any sort of emulation or backwards compatible hardware, they just stuck a full C64 mainboard in the C128 case and gave you a switch you could flip on the side. You pretty much never used 128 mode since by the time it came out better computers were available that cost less and the C64 already had a massive library of good software.

You could probably learn the Commodore's dialect of Basic in an hour OP. That computer had no funky protected mode memory or hardware security levels or any of that junk we have to deal with today. Once you were staring at that blinking cursor on a blue screen you had total access to every device and byte of memory in the machine, including its awesome sound chip. Find a C64 programming manual somewhere and figure out how to PEEK and POKE the sound system into making whatever noise you like.

i made it say "im gay" over and over again forever but the emu crashes every time i try to take a screenshot :(

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

50 Foot Ant posted:

LOAD *.*,8,1

Go make yourself a sandwich. Sit down and watch Transformers. Make sure it didn't error out. Go do your chores. Check the loading screen. Go do your homework. Talk on the phone to your girlfriend. Go back. Stare at the screen. YAY! It's loaded! Do three dives into the water.

Repeat.

There was a GI-Joe game that was pretty good except that every time you transitioned between zones, and you did that a lot, it took two minutes to load off one disk or the other.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Gunship. Dear lord Gunship.
Little Computer People
Winter Games
Summer Games
Red Storm Rising
Silent Service
Neuromancer

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

50 Foot Ant posted:

LOAD *.*,8,1

Repeat.
winter games music

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
go play Mountain King and have night terrors about giant spiders wrapping you in a web and then devouring you

PandaCookies
Mar 19, 2009

Delicious endangered confection!

gary oldmans diary posted:

play little computer people and below the root

Hell yeah! Little Computer People! Also Impossible Mission, and Magic Carpet! There was also a game I used to play I think it was called Hacker? I can't remember.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Raged posted:

Gunship. Dear lord Gunship.

gently caress yeah Gunship ruled with an iron fist. Best flight simulator of all time, although I played it on a Tandy 1000EX.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Wasteland. Mind the scorpidroid when you get to vegas.

Also, you only need one guy in your party to have the toaster repair skill.

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe
Yeah, Gunship was a good game

Ghostbusters
Giana Sisters
Turrican

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Raged posted:

Silent Service

Just brought back some memories

Op, you should also check out Karateka for some true punishment

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
mail order monsters

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Mail Order Monsters
Giana Sisters
Karateka
Maniac Mansion

Also the C64 Tetris theme will forever haunt my dreams.

Janderbuilt
Mar 7, 2008

WoOt
Hey Taxi! Hey taxi! HEY TAXI! (Space Taxi)

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

MOtherfuckin Airborne Ranger. Better than Gunship.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
op was trolling but it backfired, C64 appreciation abounds itt

unless...

post your code to make the c64 print infinite i'm gays to prove yourself

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Play the Impossible Mission games. DOOOO IT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barco Fiesta
May 26, 2009

a fantasy of olives

Claven666 posted:

op was trolling but it backfired, C64 appreciation abounds itt

unless...

post your code to make the c64 print infinite i'm gays to prove yourself

10 PRINT "IM GAY ";
20 GOTO 10
RUN