Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Iron Tusk posted:

That kind of sums up why they pulled it. I think the official reason was "not very fun". So maybe if it comes back it will be interesting.

They put it up on their Facebook page, so I'd expect that kind of response. But at the same time, it's still somewhat typical of factional MMO launches post Warhammer.

Somehow I doubt that in the true cosmic scale, Exile PvE matches up perfectly to Dominion PvP. Literally, every time one gains a vote, the other gains a vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Iron Tusk posted:

More polls! This time it's Carbine's own.

Look like the fear of being ganked, may be......overstated.

http://strawpoll.me/1770774

If it's anywhere near representative, it's about what I expected to start. The PvP servers will be grossly imbalanced towards evil-but-pretty Dominion, and the PvE towards the Exiles.

Nope. It was in the Alpha I believe, but it got yanked. Some word that it might be re-added post launch.

Given the rate that Exile PvP is climbing nonstop makes me think someone is loving with the poll -- for some stupid reason.

Gold Dust Gasoline
Jul 11, 2006

just be yourself and you'll be fine
Pillbug
They should invent captcha for the polls.

Either way that poll has me shaken, I might roll with the lovely exile PvP guild now. Because I don't care at all about faction "ideology" I just want there to be people to kill.

EDIT: If only the dominion were all ugly this wouldn't be an issue.

totmur
Mar 21, 2005

IM A BIG IDIOT WHO FARMS ALL DAY TO BLOW ALL MY GOLD ON CONSUMABLES IN CASUAL PVP LIKE A BIG BONERNERD

Cronodoculous posted:

Okay I've looked over your CV some more and I like what I see, but I'm not finding any Griefing certifications here. As you may know we require all goon guild leaders to have a Basic Griefing Skills certificate, and 6 continuing education units each year. Of course we can overlook this given proper griefing experience, provided you also get those CEUs done promptly.

As the actual guild leader(he is my lackey) I can assure you that I have the required Griefing credentials. As an example, my alt warrior on Mal'ganis was named Twatmur. I camped a unfortunate soul for an hour that he reported my name and I had to change it to Tstorm. RIP Twatmur.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Given the rate that Exile PvP is climbing nonstop makes me think someone is loving with the poll -- for some stupid reason.

I think it's less vote bombing and more a display issue with straw poll. It seems to want to do updates in big groups and not post as each vote comes in.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I think chua is the only race's run/jog animation I like so far. Fem granok, mechari and mordesh look stupid and feel really slow to boot. I'm guessing the other races are better if only because they're tinier but I'm not really interested in rolling any of them.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

folgore posted:

I think chua is the only race's run/jog animation I like so far. Fem granok, mechari and mordesh look stupid and feel really slow to boot. I'm guessing the other races are better if only because they're tinier but I'm not really interested in rolling any of them.

I love their little roll when they come down from a double-jump.

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
Any idea when the site will be back up? Had an issue pre ordering at a store and now this :ohdear:

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Windchilla posted:

If you're planning on PvPing I'll tell you that killing a Spellslinger is WAY easier for me as a Warrior or Stalker than killing a Medic. Spellslinger has more mobility, but less area denial and they seem a lot more squishy. Medic can't so much escape the meleers, but they heal through the damage very well and can put down some damage/snare of their own in large patches of ground.

I'm more worried about PvE content. Medic looks like it could play a part in healing a raid, but in a dungeon I'm worried that it would be like trying to heal a wow dungeon with nothing but healing rain, which sounds kind of awful.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

flipoff posted:

What about medic healing turned you off? I'm going back and forth about rolling a medic or a spellslinger, so I'm interested to hear the pros and cons of both.

If your group doesn't specifically cater to your T-rex armed healing style they will end up seriously dead. Typically in previous MMOs, telling your group they have to play differently because you heal a certain way has not gone well (monks in heroic 10-mans).

People in this thread have compared medic healing to herding cats, but it's really herding ping pong balls that bounce around in every direction and then blame -you- when they die. Having zero targeted heals means that your tank can gently caress himself over large by running away from you when in his mind he was just dodging red, and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it except watch him die.

You'll want a few of them in raids if they keep their throughput-heavy melee-healing niche, but their only smart heal is super-weak and their targeted heals don't exist, so the heavy lifting job of stabilizing people that are low is going to have to be done by someone else. Having high throughput means less people will be low in the first place, but unless you make your ranged group up to cater to their T-rex arms they can't hit everyone. In terms of raiding they remind me of EQ1 shamans; they can heal and they have an important role, but they can't heal a raid by themselves and you wouldn't want to stack them.

If you're interested in medic I would suggest taking it to 15 and trying out healing with it. If you can watch your tank dodge-roll out of your crisis wave, then do it again, then watch him die because you have no Chi, if after all that you still want to play a medic I say go for it. For me it felt too powerless; there were no badass moments of saving the group and hitting big numbers, no ability to plan ahead when you can't predict who will eat the red (or whether the person will even be in range), no special tricks to change your playstyle (though I was low level, I don't know if this opens up more) - it was all chasing ping pong balls around and playing catch-up. I've done a lot of healing since I started raiding in 2000 and medics turned me off in a way no other healing class ever has.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Regarding the Exile PvP guild thing: You guys are saying the words "CV" and "credentials" a lot, talking about raiding schedules or whatever, and I am a filthy casual. My only likely contributions would be 5-man content, crafting help or whatever, and my charming, witty dialogue. Would your guild destroy my life?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

folgore posted:

They are the one true master race. And I'm pretty sad I can't play a Chua Stalker :emo:

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Ad by Khad posted:

If your group doesn't specifically cater to your T-rex armed healing style they will end up seriously dead. Typically in previous MMOs, telling your group they have to play differently because you heal a certain way has not gone well (monks in heroic 10-mans).

People in this thread have compared medic healing to herding cats, but it's really herding ping pong balls that bounce around in every direction and then blame -you- when they die. Having zero targeted heals means that your tank can gently caress himself over large by running away from you when in his mind he was just dodging red, and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it except watch him die.

You'll want a few of them in raids if they keep their throughput-heavy melee-healing niche, but their only smart heal is super-weak and their targeted heals don't exist, so the heavy lifting job of stabilizing people that are low is going to have to be done by someone else. Having high throughput means less people will be low in the first place, but unless you make your ranged group up to cater to their T-rex arms they can't hit everyone. In terms of raiding they remind me of EQ1 shamans; they can heal and they have an important role, but they can't heal a raid by themselves and you wouldn't want to stack them.

If you're interested in medic I would suggest taking it to 15 and trying out healing with it. If you can watch your tank dodge-roll out of your crisis wave, then do it again, then watch him die because you have no Chi, if after all that you still want to play a medic I say go for it. For me it felt too powerless; there were no badass moments of saving the group and hitting big numbers, no ability to plan ahead when you can't predict who will eat the red (or whether the person will even be in range), no special tricks to change your playstyle (though I was low level, I don't know if this opens up more) - it was all chasing ping pong balls around and playing catch-up. I've done a lot of healing since I started raiding in 2000 and medics turned me off in a way no other healing class ever has.

That pretty much confirms my doubts on them, think I'll start as spellslinger.

Ironlung37
May 16, 2005

loquacius posted:

Regarding the Exile PvP guild thing: You guys are saying the words "CV" and "credentials" a lot, talking about raiding schedules or whatever, and I am a filthy casual. My only likely contributions would be 5-man content, crafting help or whatever, and my charming, witty dialogue. Would your guild destroy my life?

We'd be happy to have you, a healthy guild has all ranges of players, can't build a great community with just business suits alone.

totmur
Mar 21, 2005

IM A BIG IDIOT WHO FARMS ALL DAY TO BLOW ALL MY GOLD ON CONSUMABLES IN CASUAL PVP LIKE A BIG BONERNERD

loquacius posted:

It has the potential to destroy your life if you choose to let it. Some of us will raid, some won't. I can assure you all of us will be doing PvP for sure. I can tell you for sure that we will have a raid group doing 20's and 40's though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Would Spellslinger or Esper require more finesse in healing, you think? I'm torn between the classes but Esper feels really easy when it comes to healing, almost identical to WoW, and I haven't been able to do much group stuff on my 'Slinger.

Gold Dust Gasoline
Jul 11, 2006

just be yourself and you'll be fine
Pillbug
The exile PvP guild is on Pergo as well right?

Dominion is going to get holocausted by bunny people.

Syrek
Jan 13, 2010

Meeeeeeeeehhh
I dunno 'bout that
Well that poll is rigged to keep everything at 25% it seems.

I just assume that the one PvP server per language in the EU cluster will get hopelessly overrun, so of course I'm gonna cram myself in there.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

flipoff posted:

To play Devil's Advocate, if you're a good Medic, you should do absolutely fine. Bad players will die, yes, but it's not really any different than any other classes. Bad players will just die sometimes. An example that Ad by Khad gave was about your tank rolling out your Crisis Waves to dodge telegraphs is kind of true, but this also can be prevented in multiple ways:

1) Not casting your Crisis Wave or other "oh poo poo" heals during moments where movement is key.
- Nothing you can do will ever make up for someone with lovely movement. If you want to get to the level of raiding or high-tier PvP, then someone that has poor movement is a bad player, whether it's a tank, or a DPS. Trying to heal someone through a telegraph when they were fully capable of dodging it will only put more stress on you and, in general, lead you to running out of Focus before the encounter ends.

2) Casting your Crisis Wave during these moments, but with the expectation of having to adjust.
- Players are usually pretty predictable with where they move with standard PvE telegraphs, if they're dodging them appropriately. If you stagger your cast appropriately, with the time it takes to charge up Crisis Wave, you have two options to adjust: Follow the tank, which is easy through a dodge roll, or cancel your cast with either Esc / a Dodge Roll to save the Actuators, then begin casting it again.

3) Medics are the only class to have shield heals. At least two of them are near-instant casts. I'm not sure about Shield Surge, but I think it's a quick cast too, making it a lot more reliable to land your heals. The reason why this works is that Medics give an additional 25-50% shield deflection rating, meaning that less damage hits the HP bar. Proper rotations of shield heals and HP heals will give you plenty of time to react to anything.

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
I saw that poll in the very early stages (around 1k votes total), before anyone started vote bombing it and messing it all up. It was running about

30-31% Exile PVE
25% Exile PVP
24-25% Dominion PVP
20-21% Dominion PVE

Which fit with my own guess on server pops. PVE skewed pretty heavily Exile, PVP near even.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Cronodoculous posted:

Okay I've looked over your CV some more and I like what I see, but I'm not finding any Griefing certifications here. As you may know we require all goon guild leaders to have a Basic Griefing Skills certificate, and 6 continuing education units each year. Of course we can overlook this given proper griefing experience, provided you also get those CEUs done promptly.

I will be in this guild and I'm a famous griefer please check my wow mal'ganis CV.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Gold Dust Gasoline posted:

The exile PvP guild is on Pergo as well right?

Dominion is going to get holocausted by bunny people.

Isn't that part of the PvP server challenge?

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Isn't that part of the PvP server challenge?

It's kind of like the cinnamon challenge. See how many Aurin you can eat before you throw up.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
2 step verification has been added. Uses Google Authenticator. You can find it in the "My Account" page under security.

Fairly significant rewards.

◾Progression Boosts: 2% Increase to Experience, Renown, and Prestige gain
◾Character Title: Certifiably Certified
◾Costume Piece: Cybernetic Eyepatch

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

flipoff posted:

I absolutely hated healing as a Spellslinger, and that was at 22 in the 18-to-queue dungeon. Part of that was because they were extremely weak at the time... and they lacked a lot of things still by that level... but it rather soured me on it. At the time, its only big heal required standing still for a long period of time to cast it. I think that has changed.

I'm more of a Tank/DPS player anyway. Your mileage may vary.

a cat on an apple posted:

3) Medics are the only class to have shield heals
...technically, Warriors (at 45+) and Engineers can do this for allies as well, but yeah they're the only dedicated healer archetype that can do this.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 28, 2014

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Destoration posted:

Fuckit I decided we need our own blog. Now we just need the blog text and this post will be complete :getin:

(I made sure to include fancy text so we look sophisticated n poo poo.)

more jpg artifacts.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Something Awful Forums

Noted griefer, bane of casuals, and ganking enthusiast.

Special skills: taunting pubbies in three languages, bubblehearthing directly after pulling the first boss, playing a Warlock

World of Warcraft (September 2005-September 2010)
Duties included luring new players into Stranglethorn Arena, venturing into the starting zones and asking for help summoning an Infernal, kiting the flight master three zones away, and camping Hogger.

SW:TOR (December 2011-March 2012)
Duties included parking on vendors in a gigantic speeder, playing with Towers of Hanoi panels in Karagga's Palace, and Huttball as a Bounty Hunter.

Also it sounds like Spellslinger healing isn't that great either? How are Espers?

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Ugh why is everyone trying to make me be indecisive again after I made up my mind.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Iron Tusk posted:

2 step verification has been added. Uses Google Authenticator. You can find it in the "My Account" page under security.

Fairly significant rewards.

◾Progression Boosts: 2% Increase to Experience, Renown, and Prestige gain
◾Character Title: Certifiably Certified
◾Costume Piece: Cybernetic Eyepatch

Those are some good perks. Glad they're being proactive about account security.

You enter the code by pressing a digital keypad that has its numbers jumbled... that sure is a thing.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Those are some good perks. Glad they're being proactive about account security.

You enter the code by pressing a digital keypad that has its numbers jumbled... that sure is a thing.

And, if I'm reading this correctly, every time you log into WildStar, you have to have your smart phone with you.

:psyduck:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pound_Coin posted:

more jpg artifacts.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

And, if I'm reading this correctly, every time you log into WildStar, you have to have your smart phone with you.

WoW was like that for awhile. Honestly though, when don't you have your phone near you? (That manual entry is going to get annoying over time though.)

Here's what the cosmetic piece looks like

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Who doesn't have their smart phone near them when sitting at their computer?

Kewpuh posted:

Oh okay. I thought fishing was okay in FF11 I think because it was interesting and it was okay in WOW because you could get cool poo poo like Mr Pinchy but uh no other game really does much with it which is kind of a bummer

Archeage does it okay from what I have heard.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

WoW was like that for awhile. Honestly though, when don't you have your phone near you? (That manual entry is going to get annoying over time though.)

Isn't there some program that lets you run apps like that on your computer anyway? I recall other MMO threads mentioning it but I can't remember the name.

Also hell yes, that eyepatch. Now my Mordesh can be more techno-zombie than ever before.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Bussamove posted:

Isn't there some program that lets you run apps like that on your computer anyway? I recall other MMO threads mentioning it but I can't remember the name.

Also hell yes, that eyepatch. Now my Mordesh can be more techno-zombie than ever before.

Bluestacks lets your computer emulate Android, and use any android apps on your computer, yeah.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Sab669 posted:

They are the one true master race. And I'm pretty sad I can't play a Chua Stalker :emo:

They're definitely one of the best made in this game. I would make one but I'm bored with the whole conniving race of midget geniuses theme after playing a goblin in WoW and an asura in GW2.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Something Awful Forums

Noted griefer, bane of casuals, and ganking enthusiast.

Special skills: taunting pubbies in three languages, bubblehearthing directly after pulling the first boss, playing a Warlock

World of Warcraft (September 2005-September 2010)
Duties included luring new players into Stranglethorn Arena, venturing into the starting zones and asking for help summoning an Infernal, kiting the flight master three zones away, and camping Hogger.

SW:TOR (December 2011-March 2012)
Duties included parking on vendors in a gigantic speeder, playing with Towers of Hanoi panels in Karagga's Palace, and Huttball as a Bounty Hunter.

Also it sounds like Spellslinger healing isn't that great either? How are Espers?

We've got a lot of baiters, parkers, and campers already lined up, do you have any experience in chat trolls, group stalking, or the Southern Stranglethorn Sarsaparilla Shakedown? I mean, with a resume like that you are a solid Tier 1 candidate, but with some experience in Tier 2 griefing we could definitely set you up in a management position.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Cronodoculous posted:

We've got a lot of baiters, parkers, and campers already lined up, do you have any experience in chat trolls, group stalking, or the Southern Stranglethorn Sarsaparilla Shakedown? I mean, with a resume like that you are a solid Tier 1 candidate, but with some experience in Tier 2 griefing we could definitely set you up in a management position.
I for one refuse to raid with anyone who hasn't completed the entire Green Hills of Stranglethorn quest line.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

To play Devil's Advocate, if you're a good Medic, you should do absolutely fine. Bad players will die, yes, but it's not really any different than any other classes. Bad players will just die sometimes. An example that Ad by Khad gave was about your tank rolling out your Crisis Waves to dodge telegraphs is kind of true, but this also can be prevented in multiple ways:

1) Not casting your Crisis Wave or other "oh poo poo" heals during moments where movement is key.
- Nothing you can do will ever make up for someone with lovely movement. If you want to get to the level of raiding or high-tier PvP, then someone that has poor movement is a bad player, whether it's a tank, or a DPS. Trying to heal someone through a telegraph when they were fully capable of dodging it will only put more stress on you and, in general, lead you to running out of Focus before the encounter ends.

2) Casting your Crisis Wave during these moments, but with the expectation of having to adjust.
- Players are usually pretty predictable with where they move with standard PvE telegraphs, if they're dodging them appropriately. If you stagger your cast appropriately, with the time it takes to charge up Crisis Wave, you have two options to adjust: Follow the tank, which is easy through a dodge roll, or cancel your cast with either Esc / a Dodge Roll to save the Actuators, then begin casting it again.

3) Medics are the only class to have shield heals. At least two of them are near-instant casts. I'm not sure about Shield Surge, but I think it's a quick cast too, making it a lot more reliable to land your heals. The reason why this works is that Medics give an additional 25-50% shield deflection rating, meaning that less damage hits the HP bar. Proper rotations of shield heals and HP heals will give you plenty of time to react to anything.

You can handwave it by saying people who don't dodge telegraphs are bad players, but no 40+ man raiding guild in history (including top-end guilds like FoH, DnT, etc) has managed to avoid having deadweight. You (yes you, Pergo goons) are going to have bad players in your 40-mans. You are going to have bad players in your 5-mans, at least occasionally. Even if you make sure to only group with superstars and never touch the group finder, your deadweight raiders still need attunements from 5s. If your response is just a flat-out "I don't heal avoidable telegraphs, get better you bad player", you're going to run into trouble sometimes. You need those ping pong balls to kill the boss.

It's entirely possible that medic healing will click with you and you'll like it and it'll work out fine. But it's very much a different style and it relies on your group being willing to work with your T-rex arm limitation. When I'm healing, I don't want crippling limitations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiffRoff
Aug 28, 2012

Strike the earth.

Sab669 posted:

This is actually what made me pick my class. I was between Stalker and Engineer. Chua can't be stalker? It's engineer time.

• Locked thread