Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Firespray looks like Domo-Kun, therefore it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

B-Wing and TIE Bomber came today! I know this is a collectable type game but it's slightly annoying that 1 pack=1 ship, so going through FFG it's gonna take like $45+ to get a decent number of anything. Perhaps Amazon or that Wargame site would be a good alternative instead.

So what do you guys keep your ship collection in? At a point it's gonna be hard to just throw them in the starter boxes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

B-Wing and TIE Bomber came today! I know this is a collectable type game but it's slightly annoying that 1 pack=1 ship, so going through FFG it's gonna take like $45+ to get a decent number of anything. Perhaps Amazon or that Wargame site would be a good alternative instead.

So what do you guys keep your ship collection in? At a point it's gonna be hard to just throw them in the starter boxes.

I used This case until my collection got too big, then I upgraded to this one

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

/\ :hfive: /\

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I use this for ships, cards, bases, dials, templates ect.

and this for dice and tokens

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Welp, I know what's coming in the mail for me next! Having the top rack of the bigass Double Plano open on the table for token access was getting to be a bit of a drag.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Managed to get my first game in. I played 2 B-Wings, 1 Y-Wings and 1 A-Wing against 3 TIE Inties and 2 TIE Fighter. My Y-Wing with ion turret go predictably destroyed almost immediately, and I pretty much lost: the only star of my game was my A-Wing which managed to destroy a TIE/F and a TIE/In before going down. I was going for a heavy ion list but the Y-Wing really didn't do much. I did like the A-Wing and hopefully with the aces pack it will do better because it really wasn't that shabby (I am aware that in tournaments it's not all that but for casual play it seemed to do alright).

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Managed to get my first game in. I played 2 B-Wings, 1 Y-Wings and 1 A-Wing against 3 TIE Inties and 2 TIE Fighter. My Y-Wing with ion turret go predictably destroyed almost immediately, and I pretty much lost: the only star of my game was my A-Wing which managed to destroy a TIE/F and a TIE/In before going down. I was going for a heavy ion list but the Y-Wing really didn't do much. I did like the A-Wing and hopefully with the aces pack it will do better because it really wasn't that shabby (I am aware that in tournaments it's not all that but for casual play it seemed to do alright).

What Y-Wing pilot did you have? I'm guessing a Gold or Grey Squadron member?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Shoeless posted:

What Y-Wing pilot did you have? I'm guessing a Gold or Grey Squadron member?
Yeah, gold squadron member. Probably should have gone for someone better but I wanted one of the B-Wings to get the good pilot. You don't get much room for good pilots with 3 ships with ions while still making a 4 ship list.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, gold squadron member. Probably should have gone for someone better but I wanted one of the B-Wings to get the good pilot. You don't get much room for good pilots with 3 ships with ions while still making a 4 ship list.

Yeah, probably should have gone for a Grey squad, let you get a shot off before getting shot yourself. Also, since secondary weapons don't care about what range the enemy's at, and Turrets have 360 arc, I'd suggest using the Y-wing defensively; choose whatever maneuvers will suit it best, since it doesn't care about what arc it's in. Try to avoid enemy arcs, try to keep at Range 3. Then use the Ion Turret as support for the rest of your ships, zapping fast ships that you'd otherwise have trouble pinning down. That's my take on it anyway.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The Ion Turret is only 1-2 tough, which is something that actually caught me out. I did manage to do some work with the Ion Cannon on the B-Wings though: got one of the Inties with it, did a K-turn next turn to get behind it, but since I had other TIEs on my tail I tried to end him quickly and lucked out on the rolls. I want to get another Y-Wing and see what kind of fun you can have running an all Ion squadron, it would be pretty funny.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Tekopo posted:

The Ion Turret is only 1-2 tough, which is something that actually caught me out. I did manage to do some work with the Ion Cannon on the B-Wings though: got one of the Inties with it, did a K-turn next turn to get behind it, but since I had other TIEs on my tail I tried to end him quickly and lucked out on the rolls. I want to get another Y-Wing and see what kind of fun you can have running an all Ion squadron, it would be pretty funny.

D'oh, I forgot. Still, the lack of +1 at range 1 means you don't need to worry as much about getting your target in there, so you can focus more on survival. Good luck in your next match, I hope you let the thread know how it goes!

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Thank god for re-stocks, finally managed to get my hands on an interceptor :v: ..and resisted the urge to add a pre-order for the new imperial ships at the same time.. well.. pay day in a few days and I'm sure my willpower will crumble before that :ohdear:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Looking forward to my local instance of Assault on Imdaar Alpha. I understand that some are actually planning on shuttling themselves around to hit multiple tournaments on the same day--I admire their industry, but that seems like more effort than a chance at a free model is worth.

Waffling between two lists to bring:

4x Gray Squadron Y-wing + ion turret

--or--

Vader TIE/Adv + Squad Leader
2x Black Squadron TIE + Swarm Tactics
3x Academy TIE

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Looking for recommendations on a gaming mat that is the exact size of the play field. Initially thinking mouse pad. Thoughts?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Buy a yoga mat off Amazon and cut it in half.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Looking for recommendations on a gaming mat that is the exact size of the play field. Initially thinking mouse pad. Thoughts?

Go to a hobby store and have them cut you a 3x3 piece of cloth with the design of your choice.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Swagger Dagger posted:

Hmm interesting idea. What is the quality of yoga mats (I have no idea)? Want something thick that isn't going to roll up on its own or fold up on the edges.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

Has anyone tried attaching squares of rubber to the bottom of the stands? That might do the job of reducing model movement without having to haul a mat around.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Is there an online squadron builder out there you goons recommend? I'd like to do some test builds before I teach a bunch of friends this game this weekend.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Of the mats I've played on, I think the mousepad materials is my favorite. There's a guy who will print designs on them for you, which is pretty cool.

As far as squadron builders, I like this one- http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build It's got a function where you can enter your collection and it'll display what you can build from what you actually own.

e:fixed link

Veritek83 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 28, 2014

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Veritek83 posted:

Of the mats I've played on, I think the mousepad materials is my favorite. There's a guy who will print designs on them for you, which is pretty cool.

As far as squadron builders, I like this one- http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build. It's got a function where you can enter your collection and it'll display what you can build from what you actually own.

Ditch the /build from that link, that link 404s (even though going to xwing-builder.co.uk forwards you to that page :psyduck:)

Nice to see the collection feature is finally working, kinda handy to have :)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thanks for the builder link. It 404s due to the period at the end. The collection feature is really nice and the option to share between tabs so I can make lists for my friend and me for tourneys is great.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
I just went to the fabric store and found a thicker fabric, got a 6x3 sheet for $7 that I cut down into two 3x3 sheets (they wouldn't do this at the place for me for some reason, but whatever). The one I got was from Joann Fabrics and is black with glittery stuff on it that looks like stars.

As for squadron builders, I prefer http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/ for the ease of use, great info it gives, compact style, and the fact that it works great on my phone.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Thanks for the links. I'm finally getting into this and I love it. Played a couple of the starter scenarios with my wife a couple weeks ago, went on a ship-buying binge, got a couple more ships for my birthday, and now I'm looking at grabbing a couple more before Saturday. I also taught my two eight year old nephews how to play this weekend. Both are budding young SW nerds, but one is more hyper and scattered than the other. The more focused nephew picked the game up really fast, and then proceeded to eat my lunch over the course of a couple games.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

Thanks for the builder link. It 404s due to the period at the end. The collection feature is really nice and the option to share between tabs so I can make lists for my friend and me for tourneys is great.

:doh:

didn't spot the period at the end.. what a tard I am :)

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

enri posted:

:doh:

didn't spot the period at the end.. what a tard I am :)

I certainly don't have a monopoly, but I do have a good slice of the market.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
My CR-90 got here today, time to find some people to play a campaign with, yay spaceships.

Edit:

"Targeting Coordinator (limited, crew) - Energy: You may spend 1 energy to choose 1 friendly ship at range 1-2. Acquire a target lock, then assign the blue target lock token to the chosen ship."

coupled with

"Sensor Team (team) - When acquiring a target lock, you may lock onto a ship at range 1-5 (instead of range 1-3)."

Long-range locks for all my friends!

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 28, 2014

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

overdesigned posted:

My CR-90 got here today, time to find some people to play a campaign with, yay spaceships.

Edit:

"Targeting Coordinator (limited, crew) - Energy: You may spend 1 energy to choose 1 friendly ship at range 1-2. Acquire a target lock, then assign the blue target lock token to the chosen ship."

coupled with

"Sensor Team (team) - When acquiring a target lock, you may lock onto a ship at range 1-5 (instead of range 1-3)."

Long-range locks for all my friends!

There's a range 4 and 5 now? My range ruler only goes to 3 :(

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

There's a range 4 and 5 now? My range ruler only goes to 3 :(

It comes with the CR-90.

Edit: I mean a ruler that can go out to ranges 4 and 5

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Question for anyone who did the Kessel Run (or the other pre-release events) in waves previous:
If you make it to the final match, what's the process for building the new lists featuring the new ships? Do players have to use both new ships in their lists? Is it always Rebel v. Imperial?

The stuff I've seen for Imdaar suggest that it's gotta be Rebel v. Imperial, since they're saying you need to come prepared to build both- though I don't know if that's just my store.

Any info/experience would be appreciated. I kinda doubt I'll make the final match, but hope springs eternal.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

enri posted:

what a tard I am :)

Come on, don't do that.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Veritek83 posted:

Question for anyone who did the Kessel Run (or the other pre-release events) in waves previous:
If you make it to the final match, what's the process for building the new lists featuring the new ships? Do players have to use both new ships in their lists? Is it always Rebel v. Imperial?

The stuff I've seen for Imdaar suggest that it's gotta be Rebel v. Imperial, since they're saying you need to come prepared to build both- though I don't know if that's just my store.

Any info/experience would be appreciated. I kinda doubt I'll make the final match, but hope springs eternal.

You have to use both ships. Im pretty sure first place (going into finals) picks either imp or rebel and 2nd takes whats left. So yeah make lists for both and try to get some practice games in playing with proxies vs the new stuff.

Rebels ill prob take
Han - either expose (I really wanna cheese that phantom off the board fast) or VI (in case he/she VIs Whisper and out initiatives me)
Airen Craken - VI
Some sort of cheap Knave

Imps ill take a suped up Whisper, HLC Vesser and maybe backstabber

tovarich
Feb 28, 2001

Mr.Trifecta posted:

I picked out a high res image from Hubble (jet of Carina: http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/nebula/pr2009025l/) and made a custom 3x3 banner from bannersonthecheap.com. It's vinyl so you can just wipe off any mountain dew or cheeto dust that gets spilled on it, and it doesn't curl too much. I think it was around $20 shipped. I kind of wish I would have done the middle finger of god, though: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap030630.html.

tovarich fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 29, 2014

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Wooo, just got my 3 Tantives and 3 Rebel Transports! Scenario Time!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

LumberingTroll posted:

:stare:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
And I thought *I* had a problem. drat.

Also, Imdaar Alpha tomorrow woo.

edit-- this happened at my FLGS tonight:

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 30, 2014

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

LumberingTroll posted:

:staredog: Can you actually post a picture of that? I think it would unironically make the coolest Battle of Endor scenario.

I also just got my CR90 and it's amazing. There's pretty much no way I'm going to get extra capitals, I think these ships are big enough and I'll just get friends together if I want a larger game with multiples. Also I might only pick up a TIE Defender with with the next wave, I feel like I've got pretty much every ship I could ever want and the collection is now pretty much complete.

The CR90 campaign looks great and I really want to give it a go. As far as using the CR90 I'm still a bit undecided. The GR75 was easier to sort of "build" because it was unarmed and can basically work extremely well as a support ship without chewing up too many points. I think the Corvette will work best as either a gunship or an 'armed transport', that is essentially doing what the transport does but throwing out target locks instead of jamming. It also has the bonus of having one action per section, so it could throw out a coordinate and also potentially recover or reinforce, while the GR75 has to choose to 'tank' or not. While the Backup Shield Generator on the GR75 is a really good upgrade, I'm not so sure on the Corvette, and potentially a similar thing applies to the WED repair droid.

As a gunship I think the Corvette is really interesting. It can pack a fair amount of firepower at least in theory and can still take some hits. I think this setup will be the hardest to pull off (and the most expensive points-wise) because most of the energy (and points) will be devoted to weapons and making weapons effective. I think the Sensor team thing is pretty good because it can allow you to TL duders out to Range 5, although it's also possible you still won't hit anything (due to the range modifiers). I'm not a gigantic fan of Single Turbolasers, great against large ships but a tough ask against smaller ones. Quad Laser Cannons actually look alright and I think could almost be a 'must include' for any CR90, as it's cheap to equip and also cheap to fire.

The cheaper option (and potentially better) is to kit it out as a support ship along the lines of the transport. It can't jam but who cares, it's got guns and passes out target locks. I think there are any combination of setups for the Corvette in this configuration because it's basically supporting whatever else you have on the field, different strokes for different folks.

I'm still trying to find a configuration I'm happy with, I'm definitely setting it up as a gunship first.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I'd agree that using the CR-90 as a gunship's the harder option. It's expensive, even in 300 point matches, and at most you're throwing out 4 attacks a turn, 2 of which can only hit at ranges 3-5. Meanwhile, each section has 8 hull and 5 shields, same as a YT-1300, and taking Lando and Han is 90 points as well. I'd probably rather have the more maneuverable 1300s most days, especially considering to get those 4 attacks on the CR-90 requires a minimum of 20 more points. While the Turbolasers aren't as bad as I first thought, since I realized that as a secondary weapon they won't give bonus defense dice to targets at range 3+, they do still double the target's agility, so hitting anything but YTs and Lambdas and anything else with Agility 1 is going to be tough. The main gun is arguably in a worse position, since it does mean bonus defense dice for enemies at range 3+, and at range 4 and 5 an Agility 1 ship is gaining more defense against it than it would from a Turbolaser shot.

The Quad Lasers look nice, I agree, but they don't get a bonus attack die at range 1 because secondary, take energy to fire, and can't hit out to Range 3, which I think may be more of an issue with the CR-90 given its slower speed than small and large ships, and reduced maneuver options. And since it won't recover as much energy doing longer moves or turns, you will probably need to stick to short moves forwards to keep enough energy coming in to supply your secondary armaments.

In the end I think its best role is as a more durable support ship, using crew and other ships to land combination attacks on the enemy. For example, an X-wing with R3-A2, putting Raymus Antilles in the CR-90, 1300 with Tactician, Transport with Frequency Jammer, etc to stress a bunch of enemy ships, then Slicer Tools on the CR-90 to deal damage to them. Granted, you can do this with the Transport too, and for cheaper, so... yeah.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I think the pretty 'standard' gunship configuration is what's presented in the CR90 mission booklet, which is as follows

code:
CR90 Corvette
Fore
-2x Single Turbolasers
-Sensor Team
Aft
-Quad Laser Cannon
-Engineering team
-Tibanna Gas Supplies
total: 124
124 points is pretty steep although I think it's a weird comparison to the YT-1300, which is an extremely competitive ship with a history of being hard. The fact that it's a bit of an agony to find the best set up indicates to me that the Corvette is probably in a good position, where you are weighing up it's worth as opposed to being an auto-include.

The Single Turbolasers will definitely be situational, I'd feel comfortable taking one on the fore section but I think two begins to push it. I suppose if you go in slow for a couple of early turns you can ensure that your weapons are charged and you have a stock of energy ready to transfer to the guns but you are going to be hanging off near the edge all the time. Even taking a (relatively) bargain basement fire support Corvette and just screening it with fighters might work.

At the end of the day it's not going to be a game winner by itself. I think the Transport is straight-up a better fleet support ship, it's cheap enough to be able to pimp it without breaking the points bank and does bring some great abilities to the table. The Corvette is in a difficult position, caught between being a fearsome gunship in it's own right and a fleet support ship.

I think the speed and energy gain is one of the biggest advantages the Corvette has. It lacks a 1 forward but basically gains one extra energy in every maneuver compared to the Transport. This really should allow you to run the Corvette forward and still have enough energy to shunt off and do whatever. I really need to get in a few games with and against the Corvette before I can make a concrete judgement of it. Overall I think it's more versatile than the Transport because of the guns, jamming is great but you can do a cool thing with Raymus Antilles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

So, I downloaded VASSAL and I'm at a loss to get it working. Either I'm just stupid (very likely) or it's somehow broken. I can't get the tour to work and the use manual refuses to load. I have the newest version of Java installed, so unless that's broken I don't know what to do.

• Locked thread