Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

The best Phantom Classic.

F Minus

Mary Worth

The beautiful waitress who looks nothing like his mom.

Rex Morgan MD

Hat Week continues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Wait, why does Glitter Rock have so many Zach clones? I thought he couldn't actually use them because they wouldn't have Harv? Or was that just for using them as decoys, while using them as extra lives for the real Zach somehow transfers Harv to them?

I guess the real question is, what exactly is Harv? Is he a machine implanted in Zach's head, that would have to be manually re-implanted into a clone?

Actually, the real question is, "Why am I bothering to think so hard about this?"

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

Count Weirdly incorrectly programmed a gorilla into the scene. Sllock knows that gorillas would only be found in Africa.

Slylock Fox

Interesting. Wouldn't pretty much all the doctors in the Slylock-verse be doctors of veterinary medicine? It seems like there's a far larger market for that than say, human doctors.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Retail

It just dawned on me that everyone in this strip is a total stereotype on top of being woefully incompetent. Man this comic is bad.

Yep, better to let everyone toil away for hours than "abuse" the savant's power. And this doesn't really make sense after saying it took Lunker and Donnie months to count the inventory from last week.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Skip must uh, skip school so much that he doesn't know what a fire drill is. And how is "Bleeker's week" different from any other week?

I don't know, I was actually a fairly good student despite procrastinating to the night before on everything although it did bite me in the rear end a couple times.

Dustin

Yet you continue to support the racket that is prescription glasses.

Totally looks like you have a cephalopod trying to escape from your mouth.

On the Fastrack

How is that answer anything but yes, because they are at work?

So where does freemium fall?

Safe Havens

It seems kinda anticlimactic to have what could've been a huge crisis resolved in two strips.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 28, 2014

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

Interesting. I've always wanted to see a Q&A where nobody asks anything and answers are refused to be given.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Wanamingo posted:

There's apparently a new thing at GoComics called Random Acts of Nancy, where each day it's just a single, out of context vintage Nancy panel.

Where's the ring?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kennel posted:

Where's the ring?
It's O.K, Borden. I've got this one.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac Continues the boxstravaganza

The Creeps leaves me speechless

:stonk:

Broom Hilda is impatient.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Creeps :allears:

I like how she tries to escape from the panel.

edit.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 28, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8gO0Z818j4

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I knew about the tumour's tooth but I don't think the eyeball thing had been established already.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
I completely lost it at this face...

Aardmania posted:

Interesting. I've always wanted to see a Q&A where nobody asks anything and answers are refused to be given.

I don't have a Twitter account, but I'm going to get one now.

And, yeah, Creeps... I don't even know. :v:

Jane's World

Paige, please.. "on tap".

Non Sequitur

You lost, didn't you? Not bad, Wiley.

Heavenly Nostrils

Hell yes! My daughter made thermite last week just for the hell of it. Of course, now I have a small hole in the driveway to patch, but :science:!

And.. drat.. there's that fill pattern again! I wonder if it's just GoComics

Kliban

Uh.. right. He hump fall off?

9 Chickweed Lane 5/28/2003

Wading around in the Atlantic off Block Island, I stepped on something on the bottom that felt like a Frisbee. And then it moved. I didn't look to see what it was.

Nice! Thanks Tiggum!

E: poo poo, I just noticed, doesn't it look like Amos' head is on backward? Good art, Brooke!

Zits

Ah! Thalidomide theater! :v:

Kevin & Kell

gently caress you, tree.

That was hilarious! That's me. I'm Nemi, as my wife would attest. :3: Grimm, you're too much a pushover. :v:

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 28, 2014

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (March 9, 1927)

Peanuts (May 31, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Just in case you were wondering how long it would take Mopey Pete to get roped into this nonsense.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ham Shears continutes to hit the nail on the head.

The Dinette Set ponders the concept of language.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

There's apparently a new thing at GoComics called Random Acts of Nancy, where each day it's just a single, out of context vintage Nancy panel.

Can't say I'm a fan.

I might like it better if the panels weren't a) printed with big color dots that make them look like knockoff Roy Lichtensteins and b) another example of Gilchrist taking advantage of Ernie Bushmiller's legacy.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

It seems kinda anticlimactic to have what could've been a huge crisis resolved in two strips.

Well we can't have any hero in a Holbrook comic experience consequences for their actions

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

<$25 at Walgreens you cheap bastard

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Evil Mastermind posted:

The size of that horse :stare:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

I love that Ed's response to his dentist pointing out an actual problem and trying to help him is to drop the guy and go to a different dentist.

Also wouldn't he have health insurance to at least cover part of the cost of a brace?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Fun fact: When police assume that the victim knew the killer, it's usually because there wasn't any forced entry. They rarely take into account the possibility that the victim left a door unlocked or that a stranger could have talked their way in.

Since the advent of DNA testing, hundreds of convictions have been overturned that had been built on the fact that the victim knew the killer, which means many times more innocent people have likely been put to death over the years based on nothing more than an unlocked door.

Oh, wait, did I say fun fact? I meant horrifying.

Pooch Café

Tiny strip today because gocomics is cold offline. Looks like a dns issue.

Ballard Street

More Sweet Elderly Dog Comix.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He seems to be worried about money a lot. I do not think he is a very successful lawyer.

Sharay
Apr 19, 2008

Green Intern posted:

Evil Mastermind posted:

The size of that horse :stare:
The height of that badminton net!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

:allears: at that shuttlecock.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kliban

Uh.. right. He hump fall off?

He's humping the camel.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Scary Gary

Cow and Boy

Being an impostor for a dead person? Cue Vertigo homage....

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Selachian posted:

I might like it better if the panels weren't a) printed with big color dots that make them look like knockoff Roy Lichtensteins and b) another example of Gilchrist taking advantage of Ernie Bushmiller's legacy.

a) you know that Lichtenstein didn't invent those dots right? Criticising blown-up comic panels for looking like blown-up comic panels is mental
b) you see the fingerprints of Gilchrist in this? Sure he gets co-credit but the driving force of this one seems to be webcomic pervert John Lotshaw of Accidental Centaurs. The worst thing to say is that it's incredibly uninspired. People have been batting around Nancy Panels for ages, and this just seems like a monolithic version of Five Card Nancy.

Tom Gauld

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Heavenly Nostrils

Hell yes! My daughter made thermite last week just for the hell of it. Of course, now I have a small hole in the driveway to patch, but :science:!

And.. drat.. there's that fill pattern again! I wonder if it's just GoComics

These are Moire patterns :eng101:! You'll see them when you resize a halftone pattern down from its original resolution, the dots start overlapping each other and produce weird patterns. The basic rule of thumb for digital drawing is you work large and then resize down for web view. 300dpi is the bare minimum you want to work at with 600dpi being the most common (making your canvas size around 5000px wide and 7000px tall if you're working roughly 8.5"x11").

My guess is Dana has a rasterized halftone pattern she's using in Photoshop and when raster images are resized, the computer does its best to fill in information gaps, leading to Moire in halftones. The tones would show up normally if the image is printed, though, because you print using the high-res file rather than the low-res one you put on a website.

There are some programs that use vector or bitmap screentones, those resize down smoothly and look good no matter if they're high or low res. Manga Studio is a good one for this.

For example, a tone like this one looks fine when it's that big size, but resized down for web it looks pretty crummy. I also did a square with Manga Studio's tones option to compare the difference.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Shadeoses posted:

I knew about the tumour's tooth but I don't think the eyeball thing had been established already.

There was a storyline where they both stabbed one of their eyes out. I don't recognize the tumor tooth though.

Oh God, this comic strip. :gonk:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I think the tumor tooth was in a one-off strip, because I remember that (and someone in the thread pointing out that it wasn't horrible for it to have a tooth)

This comic, man.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
That's an odd stance. Where is he coming from?

Gauld does these so much better than Four Eyes.
My Steam game library.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kennel posted:

My Steam game library.

Same, but it would be almost entirely "Intending to [play]"

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Andorra posted:

There was a storyline where they both stabbed one of their eyes out. I don't recognize the tumor tooth though.

Oh God, this comic strip. :gonk:

I think it went something like

"Oh, my tumour has got it's first tooth!

I really hope it doesn't grow another one.

I hate flossing."

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

Totally looks like you have a cephalopod trying to escape from your mouth.

Assuming Ed has what google tells me is an average salary for a lawyer in America he wouldn't even need to work a full day to pay off the $400 for a dental guard of the same type I have. If he has a better-than-average salary, he would have it paid off before lunch time. This is, of course, also assuming he doesn't have dental insurance, which he may not if he's the kind of clown to buy a gum shield from Dick's just to spite a dentist.

Ed Kudlik, you cheap rear end in a top hat.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

cobalt impurity posted:

Assuming Ed has what google tells me is an average salary for a lawyer in America he wouldn't even need to work a full day to pay off the $400 for a dental guard of the same type I have. If he has a better-than-average salary, he would have it paid off before lunch time. This is, of course, also assuming he doesn't have dental insurance, which he may not if he's the kind of clown to buy a gum shield from Dick's just to spite a dentist.

Ed Kudlik, you cheap rear end in a top hat.

Maybe he's just a terrible lawyer.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Ed had a shitfit over Dustin wanting $20 to mow the lawn instead of $10 because "need I remind you you're mooching free room and board", thenn later dropped a few thousand bucks on new cycling gear on a whim, so yes, he's a total douche.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Midnight Moth posted:

Ed had a shitfit over Dustin wanting $20 to mow the lawn instead of $10 because "need I remind you you're mooching free room and board", thenn later dropped a few thousand bucks on new cycling gear on a whim, so yes, he's a total douche.

Ed is the absolute madness at the core of the Just World hypothesis. It's fine for Ed to drop $1000 on cycling gear because he earned that money. Dustin asking for $20 to mow the lawn instead of $10 is the greatest injustice in the world because Dustin didn't work hard like Ed did to earn that money. I mean, if Dustin had put effort in that deserved more than $10 he would be getting more than $10 for it, wouldn't he? Ed thinks this without even a shred of consideration for it being him that controls how much Dustin makes here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

• Locked thread