Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
After installing again I've got all my mods ready, playing nice, and ready to go.

I then install Phinix enb, reloading to discover all eyes have disappeared. AA and AF are off and other enbs don't have this issue. Seems strange! What are peoples preferred enbs or the one that has stayed updated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Okay, looks like I spoke too way soon about my problems with save bloat being over. Really, I have no idea which mod it could possibly be that's causing this problem at this point, so is there any way to get a quick text file for your regular mod list on MO like there is for your load order, so I could perhaps post that here and see if anyone can point out any likely culprit(s)?

Edit: Also, there's got to be some sort of program out there that's capable of removing garbage environmental data from save files, right?

Doctor Bishop fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 28, 2014

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Doctor Bishop posted:

is there any way to get a quick text file for your regular mod list on MO like there is for your load order, so I could perhaps post that here and see if anyone can point out any likely culprit(s)?

Edit: Also, there's got to be some sort of program out there that's capable of removing garbage environmental data from save files, right?
You'll find such a text file under \ModOrganizer\profiles\<Profile Name>.
Also there are several save cleaners on the nexus, but I would not recommend any one of them.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 28, 2014

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
Modding this game is a lot more daunting than I had originally thought. A friend of mine gave me his list of mods, and it seems like an extraordinary amount of work to do to play the game again. What would be your top 10 mods to use with Skyrim, for me to start with?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Hahaha he's recommending you titty mods.

SkyUI: Utterly essential interface overhaul that makes the menus less terrible. So many mods have their own configuration through its unique MCM (mod config manager) interface that it's a prequisite these days.

Skyrim Unbound: customizably random starting circumstances instead of that yawn-inducing Helgen sequence, with options to disable dragons, word walls or the main quest entirely. Not available on the Nexus anymore, but his Steam Workshop description links to a .zip you can just plug into Mod Organizer.

Frostfall: being naked in the cold actually does something. Give a poo poo about wetness, be afraid of icy water, dress warmly and set up camp for the night or the Pale eats you alive.

A Quality World Map: A map that actually shows the roads instead of being useless eye candy.

Static Mesh Improvement Mod: gently caress textures, what about the chunky lovely models they're draped over?

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Doctor Bishop posted:

Okay, looks like I spoke too way soon about my problems with save bloat being over. Really, I have no idea which mod it could possibly be that's causing this problem at this point, so is there any way to get a quick text file for your regular mod list on MO like there is for your load order, so I could perhaps post that here and see if anyone can point out any likely culprit(s)?

Mart's Savegame De-Bloatifier (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/8216/) parses a lot of leftover bloat from player/Havok interaction. I haven't tried it myself but I've seen some good recommendations for it.

The Skyrim Save Cleaner (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/31724/) does mostly the same thing as far as I know.

My favorite is the Savegame Script Scalpel (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53045/) it's extremely useful for finding the culprit(s) for save game bloat if you're willing to dig a bit. It's fairly simple to use and my Skyrim installation would be dead without it. Just note that when the program is analyzing a save it does take quite awhile even with a monster PC.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

Catts posted:

Mart's Savegame De-Bloatifier (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/8216/) parses a lot of leftover bloat from player/Havok interaction. I haven't tried it myself but I've seen some good recommendations for it.

The Skyrim Save Cleaner (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/31724/) does mostly the same thing as far as I know.

My favorite is the Savegame Script Scalpel (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53045/) it's extremely useful for finding the culprit(s) for save game bloat if you're willing to dig a bit. It's fairly simple to use and my Skyrim installation would be dead without it. Just note that when the program is analyzing a save it does take quite awhile even with a monster PC.

Yeah, the script scalpel will find things that other save game script cleaners won't, so it's definitely worth using on your saves every time you remove a mod, or just running it on a character every few saves. Just remember to wait for the script panel to stop flickering before doing anything; that's how you know it's done (as Catts said, it really does take a while).

On a mod related not, duuuuude, why aren't Skyhighrim and Cannabis Skyrim in the OP, maaaaan? These are great. I'm gonna spend the next few days doing drugs in Skyrim.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

scamtank posted:

Hahaha he's recommending you titty mods.

SkyUI: Utterly essential interface overhaul that makes the menus less terrible. So many mods have their own configuration through its unique MCM (mod config manager) interface that it's a prequisite these days.

Skyrim Unbound: customizably random starting circumstances instead of that yawn-inducing Helgen sequence, with options to disable dragons, word walls or the main quest entirely. Not available on the Nexus anymore, but his Steam Workshop description links to a .zip you can just plug into Mod Organizer.

Frostfall: being naked in the cold actually does something. Give a poo poo about wetness, be afraid of icy water, dress warmly and set up camp for the night or the Pale eats you alive.

A Quality World Map: A map that actually shows the roads instead of being useless eye candy.

Static Mesh Improvement Mod: gently caress textures, what about the chunky lovely models they're draped over?

I'd add Skyrim Immersive Creatures, SPERG, and Apocalypse Spells to that list. :)

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

He asked for my favorites. :colbert:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

scamtank posted:

If those aren't in your favorites, they should be. :colbert:

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

NovaLion posted:

What would be your top 10 mods to use with Skyrim?

Playing skyrim is overrated. Its really about the metagame.

My top right now are SkyUI SDK 4.1, kywd_test.esp, notepad++.exe, scriptCompile.bat, Visual C++ 2008.exe, creationKit.exe, copyArmor.esp, tesVedit.exe, and Signature Weapons.esp.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

LtSmash posted:

My top right now are SkyUI SDK 4.1, kywd_test.esp, notepad++.exe, scriptCompile.bat, Visual C++ 2008.exe, creationKit.exe, copyArmor.esp, tesVedit.exe, and Signature Weapons.esp.

You're not modding the game, modding is the game. You're winning.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

scamtank posted:

Don't feel bad, my Skyrim character is like 70% boobs also.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

LtSmash posted:

Want.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

LtSmash posted:

Does that mean Signature Weapons is actually happening? :neckbeard:

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Does that mean Signature Weapons is actually happening? :neckbeard:

LtSmash posted:

I have an alpha version of Signature Weapons but for skyrim that I've been putting off working the bugs out of because it means actually bug testing in skyrim. Anyone hate themselves enough to want to help with that? Also someone over on the bethesda forum inadvertently gave me a great idea for making Signature Armors work so if the kinks with weapons get worked out armors will probably follow soon after. PM me or steamID

Maybe if I had some jerks to test it. You expect me to actually play Skyrim for more than 10 minutes? Anyway I got the dll plugin working so now I need to work on Signature Weapons but it should be way less janky and work better with any mod and Signature Armors will happen.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Catts posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, but to be honest, while I wouldn't really mind digging a bit into my save file data to find out the cause of the bloat, after trying out the Savegame Scalpel, I realize that I have no idea what exactly an active thread or an unattached instance or any of that other stuff actually is. And after using the Save Cleaner, it doesn't seem that it actually made the save file any smaller, though it did somehow make the game run a bit smoother, which is nice but belies the fact that my save file is still unneededly huge.

Anyways, here's my current mod list in case anyone cares to have a look and see if anything sticks out as being a known troublemaker.

http://pastebin.com/rGsZv5Wb

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Agents are GO! posted:

You're not modding the game, modding is the game. You're winning.

When you play the game of mods, you win, or you CTD.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Dad Jokes posted:

Is anyone familiar with the Immersive Patrols bandit plugin? It seems like all the bandits that it spawns are way tougher than normal bandits without changing their names, making them damage sponges that are annoying to fight.

Case in point: I wandered into the ruin that's part of the Peryite quest and repeatedly got wrecked by 12 "Forsworn" bunched into one room near the entrance, while barely doing any damage on my end, even with active Histskin, fully perked Light Armor, and a level 50 character. :psyduck:

Yeah, I think there the OBIS or IP bandits got relabelled as "Forsworn" there. Generic Forsworn that I've encountered elsewhere didn't seem to be anywhere near that mean. (When I arrived, I had some stuttering issues - then I found about eight goblins wandering around, and when I actually got to the location, the Forsworn had apparently been tussling with a bunch of Silver-Blood Mercenaries or something. They were all dead, and scattered from the stairway up to almost at the entrance door.)

Early on, I noticed that vanilla bandits kept getting murdered by OBIS ones - I actually saw some heavies (Lieutenants/named bounties) chasing down generic "Bandits" and slaughtering 'em.

Fast-travel to the Wenyon Stones and see if there's a big Thalmor/Imperial-vs-Stormcloak brawl going on. :black101:

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I loved the idea of OBIS but I uninstalled it after constantly getting murdered by ridiculous poisoned skeevers.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Doctor Bishop posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, but to be honest, while I wouldn't really mind digging a bit into my save file data to find out the cause of the bloat, after trying out the Savegame Scalpel, I realize that I have no idea what exactly an active thread or an unattached instance or any of that other stuff actually is. And after using the Save Cleaner, it doesn't seem that it actually made the save file any smaller, though it did somehow make the game run a bit smoother, which is nice but belies the fact that my save file is still unneededly huge.

Anyways, here's my current mod list in case anyone cares to have a look and see if anything sticks out as being a known troublemaker.

http://pastebin.com/rGsZv5Wb

Sounds of Skyrim has been known to cause some pretty serious bloating issues.

Also if you post the save file you're interested in I (or someone else better at this than me) could take a look at it. Sometimes it's pretty easy to figure out if you have like 80000 instances of the same mod script running or something.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

Okay, here's a link to the latest save file I had before trying out those cleaning programs. Be forewarned, though, as it's 95 MBs large.

Edit: On the topic of Amazing Follower Tweaks, a friendly tip: never teach your followers the Flames spell, at least not when they're set to use a sword-&-spell combat style and have a shield equipped. They'll continuously shoot fire out of their mouths even after combat has ended and it's not just a visual glitch, either, because you take damage if you walk in front of them while they're doing it. They'll stop breathing fire as soon as you engage them in conversation, though, funnily enough.

Doctor Bishop fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 29, 2014

Burns
May 10, 2008

Bwahaha my game seems to have gone completely bonkers. Solitude is controlled by the Stormcloaks (no civil war quests done) and General Tullius keeps fighting a stormcloak guy in Castle Dour who cant die lol.

Sojourn
Mar 28, 2005

Davoren posted:

I loved the idea of OBIS but I uninstalled it after constantly getting murdered by ridiculous poisoned skeevers.

Yeah, OBIS was fun but it made my game unstable for whatever reason. Got rid of it and haven't crashed since.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
OBIS is a pretty bad mod and I'm not sure why it gets praised so much. It changes so much poo poo, just open it in TES5Edit.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So what are the best fan patches out there? Is Arthmoor still the go to? Any others to add onto that? I'm just working on the basics before I start adding in new stuff.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Purely on the gameplay side, I recommend all of the unofficial patches, the Skyrim Misc Patches Collection, Clothing and Clutter Fixes, and Weapon and Armor Fixes.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Isn't there something special you have to do to install fomods using MO? SkyUI is not wanting to work through there and I can only assume its the fomod.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Did you read the second post of the OP?

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I thought I did, must have missed that part. Was skimming it over actually again as of right now in fact.

EDIT: I saw that part, thats not my issue though. Its just straight up crashing and saying there is some CLI problem.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
You need to install the NCC downgrade on the downloads page: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1334/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D1334&pUp=1

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

That's what I was thinking of. Thank you.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Has anyone had problems with "SkyTEST - Realistic Animals & Predators"? I'm pretty sure the spawns from that mod are giving me CTDs consistently in the same spots (just outside the Helgen Keep cave you exit when you complete the first quest), but I can't be certain.

I have a few mods that spawn people like OBIS and Immersive Patrols, but I got rid of Immersive Creatures (which also adds some animals) and I'm still having issues with places where animals spawn, even in a new game with a fresh install. So I think I've narrowed it down to SkyTEST RA&P since it's the only other thing that spawns new animals and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced similar issues. It might just be that it doesn't play well with the other stuff I have.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

sticklefifer posted:

Has anyone had problems with "SkyTEST - Realistic Animals & Predators"? I'm pretty sure the spawns from that mod are giving me CTDs consistently in the same spots (just outside the Helgen Keep cave you exit when you complete the first quest), but I can't be certain.

I have a few mods that spawn people like OBIS and Immersive Patrols, but I got rid of Immersive Creatures (which also adds some animals) and I'm still having issues with places where animals spawn, even in a new game with a fresh install. So I think I've narrowed it down to SkyTEST RA&P since it's the only other thing that spawns new animals and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced similar issues. It might just be that it doesn't play well with the other stuff I have.

I've been using Skytest forever, and never had any problems with it, unless I tried to upgrade/remove/reinstall during a running save. Otherwise no issues, in Helgen or otherwise.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The only issue I've seen with skytest is during the intro cart ride which I believe is mentioned on the mod page. Otherwise its works perfectly for me.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So that sword that the Whiterun steward's daughter makes for jarl never actually gets to him. The steward holds on to it? Is there any mods that actually give it to the jarl? This is a very minor thing but after just getting to that point I remembered how awkward that was. The biggest problem is that he walks around with it on his back and being in no armor looks off.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

http://pastebin.com/KKLRJ0hj

Here is my mod list, I can run this game fine on max settings and everything. But one of these mods is causing my game to take a dive in the FPS department when I am fighting and when I venture into towns/cities.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

If you're using enb shaders did you make sure that your video+memory RAM is the right number in the enb config file? The default is like 2k but with my PC I could set it up to about 7k. It's something like video memory+RAM-2000=your setting.

edit: it will be "VideoMemorySizeMb=7000 // VRAM + RAM - 2048" under memory in your enblocal.ini

The 7000 is what I have it set to.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 30, 2014

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Mustang posted:

If you're using enb shaders did you make sure that your video+memory RAM is the right number in the enb config file? The default is like 2k but with my PC I could set it up to about 7k. It's something like video memory+RAM-2000=your setting.

edit: it will be "VideoMemorySizeMb=7000 // VRAM + RAM - 2048" under memory in your enblocal.ini

The 7000 is what I have it set to.

I didn't touch ENB at all when modding so I don't think that's an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

You're supposed to. The default setting in enblocal is a mere 2048. I had the same problem you had with FPS dropping in certain areas and during fights. This fixed it.

It's just the number for one setting but has a huge impact on performance. Anyone using enb should be able to change it to well over 2048. Pretty sure this part is mentioned in the instructions for most enb settings but I skipped it and spent a week or two wondering why my game ran like poo poo while having a GTX 770 and 8gb of RAM.

• Locked thread