Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

unlawfulsoup posted:

You put your SA username on your guitar. Why?

Some of us just had our names come on the guitar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I got a new guitar! Sounds like a bucket of rusty farts, but it was thirty bucks. I walked in the door expecting the guy to say something closer to 90, so when he said 30 I didn't even hesitate to say gimme the thing.

Anyone know what that logo is under the American Idol logo? I'm sure it's nothing impressive, but I still wanna know.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Is that a speaker or a big weird circular pickup

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ferroque posted:

Is that a speaker or a big weird circular pickup

speaker, though i have confirmed that it sounds like farts even through the amp out/headphone jack

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dewgy posted:

speaker, though i have confirmed that it sounds like farts even through the amp out/headphone jack

It sounds like you got your $30 worth.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

unlawfulsoup posted:

It sounds like you got your $30 worth.

pretty much, i didn't exactly have high hopes for this thing but it'll be a fun project

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Dewgy posted:

pretty much, i didn't exactly have high hopes for this thing but it'll be a fun project

If you are handy with electronics (or fancy burning your fingers with a soldering iron) you can fit a small velleman amp in and put all sort of stupid effects in there, maybe an FM radio too.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

White Dog Eggs posted:

If you are handy with electronics (or fancy burning your fingers with a soldering iron) you can fit a small velleman amp in and put all sort of stupid effects in there, maybe an FM radio too.

oh poo poo, i like this

honestly my first step here is just going to be replacing the solder with silver core and maybe redoing the wiring; i am like 99% sure that pickup needs to go though, even the panda guitar doesn't buzz this much

the thing reminds me of a little red guitar someone stole from my car a few years back though so i give no poo poo, it's great

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Dewgy posted:

oh poo poo, i like this

honestly my first step here is just going to be replacing the solder with silver core and maybe redoing the wiring; i am like 99% sure that pickup needs to go though, even the panda guitar doesn't buzz this much

the thing reminds me of a little red guitar someone stole from my car a few years back though so i give no poo poo, it's great

If you use single-core shielded wiring, put aluminum tape (or glue some foil in with chewing gum, whatever works) in the control cavity and ground to that rather than the bridge it will help with the noise, though a lot of the buzz is probably from the built-in amp.

Of course, you could always put in a CB radio and hook the bridge up so the strings would act like an antenna....

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

aeternum posted:

What a oval office of gigantic proportion.

The trigger hate has got to be the dumbest thing in music, these idiots don't realize that triggers actually makes it harder, not easier.

Trigger haters and guitar solo haters are a remnant of a truly faggy time in music.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

I have a fret buzz at exactly one string at the 12th fret. Time to bust out the file not?

Also a local used gear store has a kahler equipped poo poo stick for $60. It's hard to resist.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

ZombieParts posted:

Trigger haters and guitar solo haters are a remnant of a truly faggy time in music.

Anytime someone starts preaching about technique/gear my eyes glaze over and I start thinking of funny Simpsons episodes.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
fret buzz on one string? raise or shim the saddle

edit: buy everything for under $90. EVERYTHING

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

bitchtard posted:

Anytime someone starts preaching about technique/gear my eyes glaze over and I start thinking of funny Simpsons episodes.

You see all music recorded since [DATE] has been terrible because this one tiny thing changed and the soul went out of music forever. It's literally a holocaust, a holocaust of music

I mean I bet you still think A=440 :smug: scrub

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

gently caress Your Website posted:

You see all music recorded since [DATE] has been terrible because this one tiny thing changed and the soul went out of music forever. It's literally a holocaust, a holocaust of music

I mean I bet you still think A=440 :smug: scrub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ILuyaZIO4

A440, the pitch of Nazis and Aliens trying to take over our precious brain waves. :psyduck:

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
Take out speaker, replace with clock, change headstock to say "Flavor Flav"

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Actuary X posted:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i'm super neurotic about putting my mids below 12 o'clock on amps so i have to crank them and make them super over middy to let my aspergerian habits disengage and turn the dial down to a reasonable level

Dec 26, 2012

Actuary X posted:

ArgonHarvester
Sep 6, 2010

Actuary X posted:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Dewgy posted:

I got a new guitar! Sounds like a bucket of rusty farts, but it was thirty bucks. I walked in the door expecting the guy to say something closer to 90, so when he said 30 I didn't even hesitate to say gimme the thing.

Anyone know what that logo is under the American Idol logo? I'm sure it's nothing impressive, but I still wanna know.

I refinished one that looked exactly like this american idol logo and all for my niece for christmas a few years ago.

I took out the guts and built a little gem amp to go inside.
Pink sparkle for maximum little girl appeal.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Thumposaurus posted:

I refinished one that looked exactly like this american idol logo and all for my niece for christmas a few years ago.

this is truly a thing of wonder

what kind of pickup is that?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Dewgy posted:

this is truly a thing of wonder

what kind of pickup is that?

It's the same pickup that came in it just some lovely single coil I just used some white krylon fusion to paint it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Thumposaurus posted:

It's the same pickup that came in it just some lovely single coil I just used some white krylon fusion to paint it.

makes sense, i really haven't seen many pickups of that style though, single coil with no posts

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Dewgy posted:

makes sense, i really haven't seen many pickups of that style though, single coil with no posts

It's just the cover on it. You see it on Mustangs and EMGs (and also Lace pickups which don't have pole pieces on anything). I like the look honestly

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dewgy posted:

If you take that cover off I'd bet my balls that it would be a standard strat-type single coil with misaligned pole pieces. You can also buy solid pickup covers really cheap if you look around.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

unlawfulsoup posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ILuyaZIO4

A440, the pitch of Nazis and Aliens trying to take over our precious brain waves. :psyduck:

Man people are just desperate for something to sperg out over, huh.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

shiksa posted:

I mean I do like the 432 Hz version of this more, and 440 Hz wasn't the set standard for A until the 50's so I find it interesting to listen to the music that might have been composed at a slightly lower tuning.

But holy poo poo all the people talking about how this has healing properties and is in tune with Earth's natural frequencies. :psyduck:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I think anything relating to music makes most people shut off the rational parts of their brain.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

shiksa posted:

Just hippies, man.

I played in a terrible jamband for years, and I can't tell you how many awful conversations about this nonsense I was dragged into by dudes in other bands or burnouts at the shows.

Jamband people are worse than Bluesdads.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

I think anything relating to music makes most people shut off the rational parts of their brain.

I don't write the music, man. The music writes me.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Thumposaurus posted:

Is it wrong that I really want to hear what this thing sounds like now?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Dirt posted:

Just hippies, man.

I played in a terrible jamband for years, and I can't tell you how many awful conversations about this nonsense I was dragged into by dudes in other bands or burnouts at the shows.

You're strong, you know that?

I'd throw my bass into a loving ravine before playing with some poo poo hippie jam band.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

BluesdadHero.jpg

It's Robin Trower . I swear every Bluesdad I ever met brings this dude up as one of his favorites.

Am I the only one here with an irrational hatred of this guy?

shiksa posted:

You're strong, you know that?

I'd throw my bass into a loving ravine before playing with some poo poo hippie jam band.

I was young and didn't know any better, and also did a lot of drugs. It's not my fault.

I basically only listen to metal now. I am cured of the jamband disease.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dirt posted:

they both belong in concentration camps

Dirt posted:

Am I the only one here with an irrational hatred of this guy?

trower sucks but joe bonamassa is the first guy to legitimately take the place of srv in the blusedad canon

he wears shades on stage. i mean how cool is that? way cool!

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 30, 2014

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
Yeah I don't hate trower because of his total inoffensiveness and the fact only those people get worked up over him. Might genuinely hate bonamassa even tho he's prob a better player

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
I mean come on people were acting like Black Country communion was the second coming of led Zep instead of warmed over deep purple outtakes

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Jambands and metal are the same thing really. Music that's immensely fun to play and godawful to listen to.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Is there a trick to pulling strat-style polepieces up without taking the strings and pickguard up? I'm trying to balance the H and S on my Venus, and can't seem to do it with just moving the pickup screws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

My stepfather had a copy of Trower's For Earth Below LP back in the day, I liked it as a young person just discovering guitar music. In fact, I'd say the title track, which feels like a nearly note-for-note rewrite of Bridge of Sighs, is better than Bridge, simply because it gets easier to do something the second time around. I don't think he's a revolutionary player but I don't really hate the guy.

But I do know two things whenever I meet someone who's into Bonamassa, A, they're a better guitarist than me, and B, they're an insufferable prat.

content - I like stompboxes, but holy gently caress, dude. You do not need all that poo poo to bluesdad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqgmqCM-msg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rMPTGw5F-Y

hexwren fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 30, 2014

• Locked thread