Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's what, 2% of his total trip cost, I imagine? Probably less than that given that the cost should be spread out over everyone using it. With hotels, food, car rental, gas, and flights it's peanuts on a very expensive trip assuming that he's flying economy.

If you miss a meeting, get lost, or worse because you can't find your way around it's going to be far more expensive. It's not your money, you're not wasting it, and you're getting it for the exclusive reason of making it to your appointments and meetings for the company in a timely fashion.

If you think that a smartphone can get the job done better than the GPS unit, that's one thing, but this is motivated by 20 euros/day. Get the thing and use your phone as a backup, or vice versa, especially if you have concerns over driving in the country in the first place. And for the company who will fret over 20 euros/day for 5 people to use a navigation system I can't imagine reimbursing any of the other solutions will go over any better.

Belldandy posted:

I think those are blanket policies in most cases for the folks who do one meeting a year and get a rental car from SFO to an office in the South Bay. If you think about it, many companies have a sales force of several thousand, plus other BUs that travel. That adds up if everyones getting a GPS, even for a small number of trips. I have a pretty large team under me and approve expense reports, most of the time for stuff like that, if theres a good reason it doesn't get questioned.

Must be my experience but international travel usually has a different set of policies. I just don't understand buying wifi data cards or other solutions being cheaper. If he's coming out of pocket and would rather do that then rent a GPS unit, ok then, but why would he come out of pocket for that poo poo? To save a company money?

sellouts fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

sellouts posted:

Must be my experience but international travel usually has a different set of policies. I just don't understand buying wifi data cards or other solutions being cheaper. If he's coming out of pocket and would rather do that then rent a GPS unit, ok then, but why would he come out of pocket for that poo poo? To save a company money?

You're making some big assumptions. You're assuming the company isn't willing (or at the very least doesn't want to) pay for the cost of renting a GPS from the rental car company. You're also assuming that any costs for other options would be out of pocket. It was just a simple question about whether or not there was an easy way for him to decrease costs.

Did you get an expense report audited recently that you're bitter about?

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

caberham posted:

Speaking of car rentals, am I going to be really boned renting a van in Italy? It's visiting a whole bunch of factories and there are 5 of us. I plan on renting a van instead of taking trains for the added flexibility.

Can I just use smart phone data with google navigation or do I really really need to spend 20 Euros a day on navigation?

We will also drive from Stuttgart to Nuremberg, to Dresden, and then to Germany. Hope I don't die :ohdear:

Oh any Euro goons? would love to hangout for dinner

Can't you just get offline gps for your phone? I bought Sygic a few years ago for €50 and it has all the maps in the world with free updates.

I live on the border with Germany and travel there regularly for work but it's a big country, where are you going after Dresden?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thoguh posted:

You're making some big assumptions. You're assuming the company isn't willing (or at the very least doesn't want to) pay for the cost of renting a GPS from the rental car company. You're also assuming that any costs for other options would be out of pocket. It was just a simple question about whether or not there was an easy way for him to decrease costs.

Did you get an expense report audited recently that you're bitter about?

Absolutely not, my reimbursements are stress free and thus my confusion here. This just seems like it is penny wise and (euro) foolish.

Why is an employee worried about saving the company money if the company is not worried about it? I've worked at huge companies and small ones. 20 euros/day on a 5 person international business trip would be irrelevant at both companies, especially when that 20 euros is spent ensuring success of the trip at a basic, logistical level. This saving may seem like a noble effort but it's actually introducing unnecessary risk. This doesn't sit well with me.

For companies where 20/day GPS cost would be flinched at or even noticed, expensing an entire GPS unit purchase or buying cell phone time would be a bigger red flag. GPS is a line item on a rental agreement which is a line item on the expense report. That can't be said about data cards, gps units, or other situations where a new vendor comes into play and misuse of company funds could be questioned.

Having done more than a fair amount of travel for business I fundamentally do not understand risking success of the trip over trying to save a very small percentage of the total cost for 5 people. Coming back after having something happen with "well I was trying to save the company money by not doing this!" doesn't make the trip any more of a success. It's still a waste of time for everyone over there. As a supervisor I'd plan on the employee spending the money when I budgeted and approved the trip.

But hey, you're right, maybe there are companies who award benefits or praise or note it in employee reviews when they save what, 240 euros on a multi person international business trip. I feel like they look for those saving qualities in man hours and saving a little more than 20/day. I guess that's a pretty big assumption.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I've seen a company refuse to pay expenses for an employee who had to stay behind for five days to receive medical treatment because it couldn't be proven that the issue was the result of work, and he wasn't technically working during the days he was sick.

Never mind that sending him home and flying in a replacement (which they didn't do) would have been more expensive, those living expenses would have looked bad on someone's metrics! (The union ended up getting involved and those expenses disappeared)

So no I have no problem believing someone could make a fuss over a GPS unit.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

sellouts posted:

Absolutely not, my reimbursements are stress free and thus my confusion here. This just seems like it is penny wise and (euro) foolish.

Why is an employee worried about saving the company money if the company is not worried about it? I've worked at huge companies and small ones. 20 euros/day on a 5 person international business trip would be irrelevant at both companies, especially when that 20 euros is spent ensuring success of the trip at a basic, logistical level. This saving may seem like a noble effort but it's actually introducing unnecessary risk. This doesn't sit well with me.

For companies where 20/day GPS cost would be flinched at or even noticed, expensing an entire GPS unit purchase or buying cell phone time would be a bigger red flag. GPS is a line item on a rental agreement which is a line item on the expense report. That can't be said about data cards, gps units, or other situations where a new vendor comes into play and misuse of company funds could be questioned.

Having done more than a fair amount of travel for business I fundamentally do not understand risking success of the trip over trying to save a very small percentage of the total cost for 5 people. Coming back after having something happen with "well I was trying to save the company money by not doing this!" doesn't make the trip any more of a success. It's still a waste of time for everyone over there. As a supervisor I'd plan on the employee spending the money when I budgeted and approved the trip.

But hey, you're right, maybe there are companies who award benefits or praise or note it in employee reviews when they save what, 240 euros on a multi person international business trip. I feel like they look for those saving qualities in man hours and saving a little more than 20/day. I guess that's a pretty big assumption.

I absolutely agree with you, I mean a 5 person international trip is a pretty serious event. Hell I'd probably get the GPS, bring a department GPS, and also print out all the routes in google maps and put them in a binder. $20 is literally nothing to eliminate a huge risk in the trip.

I've worked with people who have penny pinched like this on trips and they do it up until it totally bones them one way or another.

I think the usability of those rental GPS units are poo poo though, and my manager agrees, and we have a bunch of Garmins for people to take with them. Driving in a new place is distracting enough with different laws and different driving culture, you're going to have enough on your mind (especially if driving a turd filled with 5 adults on the autobahn hahaha)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I completely agree that many expense policies are penny wise and pound foolish. And I'm very happy to work for a company that isn't like that. I guess I just don't see this as being such a situation.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sellouts posted:

There are hosed up bullshit places that operate off rules last updated in the 1980s and if your expense isn't on the "allowable expenses" list then gently caress you bitch, you're out of pocket regardless of how much company money you saved or risk you mitigated. Paradoxically, cell phones can often slip in under "telephone calls" whereas GPS receivers didn't exist for most of the world in 1986.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

So no I have no problem believing someone could make a fuss over a GPS unit.

Right, I agree that this is an entirely different discussion if it's about what a company is or isn't willing to pay for. You can't do much about that. But he's just trying to save some money. So if anything buying the other solutions would likely make a bigger fuss.

But yeah, I guess companies still function with unupdated expense policies where things like navigation hardware or unaccountable phone/data time have been allowed via loophole. I've never been in that situation where that kind of stuff would pass but a gps in a foreign country wouldn't on account of cost but it's plausible.

Thoguh posted:

I guess I just don't see this as being such a situation.

Given his explanation of "just trying to save the company some money" isn't that a pretty big assumption?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
In good news, I got a 300C AWD fully tricked out as my rental this week from National. Great car. Drinks gas like a ridge runner drinks shine.

I too don't understand killing yourself to save the company money. Sure, I am all in favor of doing what it takes in situations where it doesn't induce significant additional risk, inconvenience or personal discomfort, but at some point you just have to recognize the realities of the situation.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
My company is actually really nice to us when we are traveling. They are ok with spending money on extra leg room in economy (we do have a tall guy with us), don't really mind about the types of hotels we stay in. Im just the silly one

Thoguh posted:

Um sorry to cause a ruckus here :ohdear: Yeah 30 a day (I made a typo) is peanuts compared to the airfare, food, accommodation, trade show setup, and other expenses. I'm just biased against GPS units, with a data card and my own pocket wifi I can use maps and most importantly, post on the forums. Renting the cars out for a combined total of 13 days, that's like 390 Euros, man I could get myself a new 24" Dell monitor with that money :goonsay:

Uncle Jam posted:

I absolutely agree with you, I mean a 5 person international trip is a pretty serious event. Hell I'd probably get the GPS, bring a department GPS, and also print out all the routes in google maps and put them in a binder. $20 is literally nothing to eliminate a huge risk in the trip.

I've worked with people who have penny pinched like this on trips and they do it up until it totally bones them one way or another.

I think the usability of those rental GPS units are poo poo though, and my manager agrees, and we have a bunch of Garmins for people to take with them. Driving in a new place is distracting enough with different laws and different driving culture, you're going to have enough on your mind (especially if driving a turd filled with 5 adults on the autobahn hahaha)

Since it's our first time driving in Italy and Germany, I will rent out a GPS unit, buy an offline GPS unit, buy a Sim data card for internet, print out google maps in a binder (already done)

Pvt Dancer posted:

Can't you just get offline gps for your phone? I bought Sygic a few years ago for €50 and it has all the maps in the world with free updates.

I live on the border with Germany and travel there regularly for work but it's a big country, where are you going after Dresden?

Thanks for the link! I will probably buy that as well. Do you live near Canton Ticino? If the this trip goes well we will go again next year. After Dresden I will be in Berlin for a week for a trade show. And then work is finished, I will be in Amsterdam June 28-July 1st for a goon meet.

caberham fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 20, 2014

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

sellouts posted:

Given his explanation of "just trying to save the company some money" isn't that a pretty big assumption?

No, it was the most straightforward reading of the post. In fact, based on the follow up, it is exactly what what happening.

caberham posted:

Um sorry to cause a ruckus here :ohdear: Yeah 30 a day (I made a typo) is peanuts compared to the airfare, food, accommodation, trade show setup, and other expenses. I'm just biased against GPS units, with a data card and my own pocket wifi I can use maps and most importantly, post on the forums. Renting the cars out for a combined total of 13 days, that's like 390 Euros, man I could get myself a new 24" Dell monitor with that money :goonsay:

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!
Concur's approved hotel list confuses me. I was booking the Downtown Marriott Cleveland and it came up as unapproved - but there were no approved hotels in Cleveland - but that's ok because it recommended I book the Ritz for $50 a night more!

I just booked the stupid Marriott.

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s
Is anyone rocking two US passports?

I have some travel coming up between the US and Canada over the summer and into fall but will have to return to China after Thanksgiving. I am working for a few different companies so one hand doesn't know what the other is doing when it comes to my travel. I only have three more completely blank pages in my current one so at the very least I will have to get some added before I get another visa but I would really like to get another one so I can travel with one while the other is getting a visa. Also a trip to the middle east is never out of the question so having two passports could make that easier. Reading online the second one is only good for 2 years, really 18 months of functionality because most places want you to have 6 months left on your passport before it expires to travel anyway.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sound_man posted:

I have some travel coming up between the US and Canada over the summer and into fall but will have to return to China after Thanksgiving. I am working for a few different companies so one hand doesn't know what the other is doing when it comes to my travel. I only have three more completely blank pages in my current one so at the very least I will have to get some added before I get another visa but I would really like to get another one so I can travel with one while the other is getting a visa. Also a trip to the middle east is never out of the question so having two passports could make that easier. Reading online the second one is only good for 2 years, really 18 months of functionality because most places want you to have 6 months left on your passport before it expires to travel anyway.

If you do that make sure you only use the second passport when you need it. Also revealing to immigration or consulates ANYWHERE that you have two simultaneously valid passports is an instant red flag.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If you get your bags searched by customs in the Republic of Friendlystan and they realize you have two passports, I imagine your day would get real interesting real fast.

If your passport's full, get some pages added and get the thick one next time. A second one I can only see bringing complications.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
The two passports would be in the same name, I don't think it'd be that problematic if customs noticed both of them.

I've also been considering doing this, it's probably only necessary if you frequently travel on short notice and you go to a lot of places where you have to get the visa in advance from the embassy, instead of on arrival.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Sound_man posted:

Not US, but I have two at the moment because I had to wait a few weeks for a Russian visa. When I got the second one they advised me to never travel with two documents if at all possible because of the time wasted if immigration somehow notices. Technically nothing illegal though.

AFAIK the only problem with the middle east is if you want to visit Israel with an Iran visa or whatever stamped in your passport. Not sure if Israel stamps US passports, they don't for EU countries so the reverse doesn't even apply.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Echoing last post. Dual passport travel is fine. I can go to Russia and USA visa free.

Oh and where in China will you be? China goons are a cool bunch.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Xandu posted:

The two passports would be in the same name, I don't think it'd be that problematic if customs noticed both of them.

I've also been considering doing this, it's probably only necessary if you frequently travel on short notice and you go to a lot of places where you have to get the visa in advance from the embassy, instead of on arrival.

You're speculating. Let me assure you that it is extremely loving problematic to be caught with multiple passports. Even having two of different types (e.g. regular and diplomatic, or being a dual citizen) can get you questioned. Basically, you are immediately suspected of being a spy or criminal, arguably the same thing in a lot of places.

You should only show the one you're using. Keep the other one in your bag or a different pocket. If you go to secondary they'll find it anyway, but you don't want to give them an excuse to send you there.

You are correct in that you really only need a second one for frequent unpredictable high-frequency travel to places that need the visa in advance. Israel used to not stamp your passport if you asked them not to though I don't know if they still offer that courtesy, if not that's another reason to get one.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Midjack posted:

You're speculating. Let me assure you that it is extremely loving problematic to be caught with multiple passports. Even having two of different types (e.g. regular and diplomatic, or being a dual citizen) can get you questioned. Basically, you are immediately suspected of being a spy or criminal, arguably the same thing in a lot of places.

You should only show the one you're using. Keep the other one in your bag or a different pocket. If you go to secondary they'll find it anyway, but you don't want to give them an excuse to send you there.

You are correct in that you really only need a second one for frequent unpredictable high-frequency travel to places that need the visa in advance. Israel used to not stamp your passport if you asked them not to though I don't know if they still offer that courtesy, if not that's another reason to get one.

In addition to all those things, my (limited) understanding is that you have to provide a letter with your application that explains exactly why you need the second passport and what you plan to use it for. It's not something they just hand out regularly, I don't think.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mackieman posted:

In addition to all those things, my (limited) understanding is that you have to provide a letter with your application that explains exactly why you need the second passport and what you plan to use it for. It's not something they just hand out regularly, I don't think.

They don't do it a lot, and State's strong preference is that you get all the visas you think you might need for a given period lined up in advance.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Midjack posted:

Israel does not stamp, instead they give you an little paper entry card and upon departure, an exit card. As an FYI, DO NOT ASK THEM TO STAMP YOUR PASSPORT, this is a big red flag.

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s

caberham posted:

Echoing last post. Dual passport travel is fine. I can go to Russia and USA visa free.

Oh and where in China will you be? China goons are a cool bunch.
I wish I had dual citizenship.
I just got back from Beijing. I was part of a tour that was sold to a Chinese investor so we installed it in a tent near the Bird's Nest. I may have to go back in November to move the show and I am sort of on call until then if something major goes wrong. I didn't get out much in my 3 weeks there, did a day of sight seeing and that was enough for me. I like my personal space too much I guess. And there was a Korean BBQ near the hotel that was 59 RMB all you can eat and drink. My merry band of round eyes cleaned them out a few times.

Midjack posted:

They don't do it a lot, and State's strong preference is that you get all the visas you think you might need for a given period lined up in advance.

I wish I was able to, but no one is willing to commit $200 for a visa application until it is a sure thing and it is never a sure thing until the last minute.

I have had a few interesting visa/passport things happen to coworkers while abroad.
We were in London for a week and some people needed visas for Argentina. Management collects the passports and puts them in to be processed. A day later there is a massive round of firings in the company. Two people that got fired have to stay in London for several days waiting on their visas to get processed so they can get their passport back.

While in China a coworkers wife lost a family member. His passport was in the hands of the Chinese because he was applying for a residence visa. I guess it wasn't a close enough relation to be covered under the emergency travel procedure but he was still pissed he couldn't be with his wife.

Sound_man fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 27, 2014

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Belldandy posted:

Israel does not stamp, instead they give you an little paper entry card and upon departure, an exit card. As an FYI, DO NOT ASK THEM TO STAMP YOUR PASSPORT, this is a big red flag.
What? Why?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Jihadists need it done in case their expense report gets audited.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Belldandy posted:

There's a lot of mythology built up around Israeli passport stamping poo poo over the years. Previously this was up to the discretion of the person working the booth, some assumed that foreign/Western business travelers would opt for a paper over a stamp and just go that route without a direct request so now it is standard practice.

There are neighboring nations that will deny entry or harass/interrogate people who have made trips into Israel. Who the gently caress would opt into that by getting a stamp over a card?

Here is official info from the US about travel into and out of Israel. The UK has a good guide for their citizens too:

US State Dept posted:

Security Screening: U.S. citizens are advised that all persons entering or departing Israel, the West Bank, or Gaza are subject to security screening and may be denied entry or exit without explanation. U.S. citizen visitors have been subjected to prolonged questioning and physical searches and have been denied access to consular officers, lawyers, and family members.

Those with extensive travel to Muslim countries or U.S. citizens whom Israeli authorities suspect of being of Arab, Middle Eastern, or Muslim origin may face additional questioning by immigration and border authorities. U.S. citizens of similar background who are suspected of wishing to enter those areas deemed prohibited to them by the Ministry of Interior (MOI) may be required to sign an agreement stipulating that they will refrain from entering those areas.

Israel no longer stamps passports with an entry stamp, but instead provides all travelers with an entry card, although they reserve the right to stamp the passport. All travelers should retain this entry card throughout the duration of their stay in Israel as it is their proof of lawful entry. Although not required for exit, travelers are advised to have their entry card to avoid delays when departing Israel. Travelers carrying official or diplomatic U.S. passports must obtain visas from an Israeli embassy or consulate prior to arrival.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

There's a lot of mythology built up around Israeli passport stamping poo poo over the years. Previously this was up to the discretion of the person working the booth, some assumed that foreign/Western business travelers would opt for a paper over a stamp and just go that route without a direct request so now it is standard practice.

There are neighboring nations that will deny entry or harass/interrogate people who have made trips into Israel. Who the gently caress would opt into that by getting a stamp over a card?
Bizarro. There are a lot of people who like getting their passports stamped, I thought this was a standard request.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Small White Dragon posted:

Bizarro. There are a lot of people who like getting their passports stamped, I thought this was a standard request.

Hong Kong no longer stamps passports, either. It's becoming somewhat more commonplace these days, especially where you see lots of semi-local border crossings like Hong Kong.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mackieman posted:

Hong Kong no longer stamps passports, either. It's becoming somewhat more commonplace these days, especially where you see lots of semi-local border crossings like Hong Kong.

Which makes me sad because I don't travel internationally very often so I like getting my passport stamped as a memento.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Thoguh posted:

Which makes me sad because I don't travel internationally very often so I like getting my passport stamped as a memento.

Same here, I was totally bummed I couldn't get mine stamped.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Southwest does TSA pre-check now? WOOOOOOO!! Just in time for me to get back out on the road!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Global Entry is the best thing ever.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Global Entry is the best thing ever.

I've had it for a few years when I was frequently traveling to Ontario and Quebec. I've only flown domestic on a non-Southwest airline a couple of times and one of those times the pre-check line was actually longer than the normal security line. However, after my last few flights that took place over holidays, I'm REALLY looking forward to not slumming with vacationers anymore.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

DJCobol posted:

However, after my last few flights that took place over holidays, I'm REALLY looking forward to not slumming with vacationers anymore.

Oh, you will. Yesterday at MCO there were entire families randomly selected for precheck.

They now have to have multiple line barkers reminding people they were in a precheck. It is still much better but yeah, not nearly as efficient as it used to be.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
No matter what, it'll be worth it to not have to take my shoes off/laptop out/tools out/go through the loving milliwave scanner

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

___ days until the 2010 trade deadline :(
As a non-Prechecker, I would happily have my hand wiped for bomb residue and not have to do the no shoes thing any day.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Occasional travelers are the worst people in the world.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Occasional travelers are the worst people in the world.

DO I TAKE OUT MY LAPTOP OUT HERE? I KNOW IVE BEEN TOLD 3 TIMES NOT TO AND THERE IS A SIGN SAYING DONT REMOVE YOUR LAPTOP BUT I WANT TO ASK AGAIN DO I TAKE OUT MY LAPTOP???? woooo I'm a baby on the big plane!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

"My boarding pass says I'm in seat 22D, but the board outside in the gate area [?] said I'm in seat 3 [?]. Am I in seat 3?"

The flight attendants never did figure out what she meant by the board outside but had a hell of a time convincing her that her boarding pass was right.