Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Wheaton's show ain't bad. It suffers from a certain redundancy since we have Talk Soup, and @Midnight, and if you're really desperate Tosh.0, but some segments were quite funny. Stoned/drunk Neil DeGrasse Tyson is gold.

The AV Club review saying he's a host in the vein of Chris Hardwick ain't encouraging though, as anyone who ever sat through an episode of Web Soup can attest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, the amount pledged obviously gives it away as a fake; there's no way it could have raised nearly half a million dollars in a single d-

* checks actual Kickstarter page *

Holy poo poo.

Don't gently caress with Reading Rainbow son.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Great, now I can't say there's never been a kickstarter I would ever consider donating to.

I'll probably kick them some cash, but at the same time, if Cosmos could get a full on revival on Fox I have to wonder what keeps Reading Rainbow limited to kickstarting internet videos.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

IRQ posted:

I'll probably kick them some cash, but at the same time, if Cosmos could get a full on revival on Fox I have to wonder what keeps Reading Rainbow limited to kickstarting internet videos.

Seth McFarland's money and influence.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Slamhound posted:

Hannibal's finale didn't really grab me. The writers have become way too enamored with the Hannibal character.

I had the exact opposite impression, the finale felt like they were finally showing what a monster Hannibal is after a season of safe Dexter-like preying on serial killers.

Unless you have a Hayes Code view on morality and think that if everything doesn't end with the good guys winning and the bad guy receiving their comeuppance then it's an explicit endorsement of the bad guy.

IRQ posted:

There are a lot of possible factors at work. I know Bill Nye has been wanting to make new episode of Bill Nye the Science Guy for years but Disney owns the rights to the show and they won't let him since it's cheaper for them to just keep selling thousand-dollar DVD colections of the old episodes of the show forever.

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 28, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

I can't imagine he couldn't bring his show back on PBS if he wanted to, their childrens' programming is loving dire these days. According to the Kickstarter he wants to put it on the web / mobile devices because kids use those more than they watch TV these days, and also so it can be used in classrooms.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
A reading rainbow revival sounds pretty dire to me

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

scary ghost dog posted:

Why? The original show went until 2006.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

scary ghost dog posted:

There's already been one for the past few years, they made an app version. It's moderately popular as far as such things go. No angry birds or anything, but quite a few people use it. This is to make a straight web version for people without tablets and smart phones. It's a good thing.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

...of SCIENCE! posted:

There are a lot of possible factors at work. I know Bill Nye has been wanting to make new episode of Bill Nye the Science Guy for years but Disney owns the rights to the show and they won't let him since it's cheaper for them to just keep selling thousand-dollar DVD colections of the old episodes of the show forever.

What I don't get about this is why he doesn't just make a new show? I can't imagine Disney owns the rights to Bill Nye educating people about science on a broadcast medium. His name alone could certainly ensure that it experiences sufficient exposure.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Beet posted:

I can't imagine Disney owns the rights to Bill Nye educating people about science on a broadcast medium.

That's probably exactly what Disney holds the rights for.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Beet posted:

What I don't get about this is why he doesn't just make a new show? I can't imagine Disney owns the rights to Bill Nye educating people about science on a broadcast medium. His name alone could certainly ensure that it experiences sufficient exposure.

He did. The fact that you've never heard of it is a testament to how successful it was.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

drat, Reading Rainbow kickstarter is almost at its goal already.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
He's also done a few short lived series on cable that had more specific themes. Science programs are a non-starter on TV these days, sadly.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

hcreight posted:

He's also done a few short lived series on cable that had more specific themes. Science programs are a non-starter on TV these days, sadly.

Yeah, his most successful gig post-Science Guy is probably BattleBots.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Last Man Standing hatewatch in 10, come join us! http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?channel=%23satviv&server=irc.synirc.net

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Deadpool posted:

Quit whining about other posters. Precision, don't bring anymore IRC bullshit into this thread. Nobody cares about it.

Sorry. I haven't used the IRC in well over a year, maybe close to two. The one and only thing I don't understand is telling people they're "bad" posters. As I've said before, I wouldn't post somewhere unless I genuinely liked everyone there.

I even like Occupation, even though he apparently still hates me for reasons that don't need to be discussed.

Again, sorry. I make a genuine effort to be a good poster, or at least, an inoffensive one. That's the only reason I am baffled when people say anything about me. I'm the blandest motherfucker in here. Things just haven't been the same since I ran my mouth in NMD one too many times...

I don't know if I said it before, but sorry to see you go. You've been a good mod. :)

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
I watched the Hannibal finale earlier today. It was such a cliched season finale of a TV show. Characters lives left in balance. A confrontation the entire season had been building to. Twist after twist after twist.

I loved every second :allears:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

...of SCIENCE! posted:

He did. The fact that you've never heard of it is a testament to how successful it was.

I remember hearing of it, but I also remember it only showed in an extremely limited number of markets.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

drat, Reading Rainbow kickstarter is almost at its goal already.

It's now passed its goal. Over $1 million, from over 25,000 contributors, in under a single day.

drat.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

AHAHAHAHA

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/community-may-be-revived-sixth-707794

Hulu is in talks to bring back Community.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Didn't Occupation make a new toxx about if the sixth season gets made, he does another season of LMS or something?

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Hulu wants some of that Arrested Development press I guess.

Community's already had more disappointing seasons in my book than AD though, so woo hoo, no expectations either way!

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Ravane posted:

Didn't Occupation make a new toxx about if the sixth season gets made, he does another season of LMS or something?

I'm not interested in post season 3 Community, so this would be really the biggest upside of that happening in my view. SUFFER, OCCUPATION. SUFFER FOR YOUR HUBRIS. :getin:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DaveWoo posted:

It's now passed its goal. Over $1 million, from over 25,000 contributors, in under a single day.

drat.

I literally grew up with that show (it's only a few months younger than I am) and I think a lot of other people are in the same boat. A kickstarter to reanimate Mr. Rogers would pass 10 million in an hour probably.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

I literally grew up with that show (it's only a few months younger than I am) and I think a lot of other people are in the same boat. A kickstarter to reanimate Mr. Rogers would pass 10 million in an hour probably.

poo poo, a Kickstarter to merely get old Mr. Rogers episodes back on the air would pass 10 mil in an hour. He's like Bob Ross, for kids.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Whenever I feel this world should burn, I remember it produced Fred Rogers and the feeling passes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Where's the Ghostwriter reboot Kickstarter? I will happily throw money I don't have at that to see that happen.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Where's the Ghostwriter reboot Kickstarter? I will happily throw money I don't have at that to see that happen.

I rewatched the first season about two years ago. It is incredibly slow, but it has it's charms. I still think the serialized nature of the program was novel for it's time.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Wishbone kickstarter
Beetleborgs kickstarter

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Biodome posted:

Wishbone kickstarter
Beetleborgs kickstarter
No lie, I'd help fund a Wishbone Kickstarter too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CPFortest posted:

Hulu wants some of that Arrested Development press I guess.

Community's already had more disappointing seasons in my book than AD though, so woo hoo, no expectations either way!

Can't we just let Community die? I know this season was supposed to be good, but who is still hanging on at this point? After seeing how good Rick and Morty is, I just want Harmon to move on to other projects.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

Can't we just let Community die? I know this season was supposed to be good, but who is still hanging on at this point?

A large and vocal fanbase.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

precision posted:

A large and vocal fanbase.

What I meant was, what kind of person needs more of these characters that have gotten multiple sendoffs and character arc endings.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
What the gently caress kind of question is that?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Review was good but pretty rough to watch.

Theres no way it gets renewed right? I saw that it got ~.5's, what does that mean on Comedy Central?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Seriously though, somebody kickstart a VR Troopers MMO. I want to spend my days immersed in the world of VR Troopers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fooz posted:

Review was good but pretty rough to watch.

Theres no way it gets renewed right? I saw that it got ~.5's, what does that mean on Comedy Central?

I think there's a chance they'll give it another season, since they've been pushing the first one (putting it on YouTube, etc). I hope they do, anyway. It's gotta be cheap to make and I'm pretty sure they've renewed shows with worse ratings.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Biodome posted:

Beetleborgs kickstarter

Jay Leno needs to do something to keep busy.

On the subject of science-based shows, isn't the old ABC cartoon Science Court pretty much just limited to a few extremely high-priced videos for the academic marketplace? I thought the show was sort of cute and educational at the time, but I know that it never really caught on like Bill Nye and Mr. Wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

What would be the point? Review used up it's only joke three episodes in and got progressively more difficult to feel enthusiastic about from there. Another season wouldn't add anything.

• Locked thread