Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Zak McKraken
Raid over Bungeling Bay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDrqBYkco-Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barco Fiesta
May 26, 2009

a fantasy of olives
seriously this is fun and i am unironically enjoying loving around with this ancient computer

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Glass Bottom Boat posted:

10 PRINT "IM GAY ";
20 GOTO 10
RUN

seems legit

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

good ideas one and all

whats a good program to make cool chiptunes on the c64? i wanna do that

If you are serious, I think this might be a good place to start:

http://www.pauliehughes.com/page22/page22.html

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Moments. Learn only spite.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Anything by Andrew Braybrook. Jeff Minter did some great stuff (also some shite, be sure not to get those ones). Dropzone is a great defender clone.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

10 PRINT "IM GAY ";
20 GOTO 10
RUN

Or if you are hardcore:

C000 LDX #$00
C002 LDA #$49
C004 STA $0400,X
C007 LDA #$4D
C009 STA $0428,X
C00C LDA #$20
C00E STA $0450,X
C011 LDA #$47
C013 STA $0478,X
C016 LDA #$41
C018 STA $04A0,X
C01B LDA #$59
C01D STA $04DC,X
C020 INX
C021 CPX #$15
C023 BNE $C002
C025 RTS

Run it with SYS49152

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 29, 2014

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

if you wanna make sid tunes you can use goattracker but it's for windows (e: and mac and linux apparently)

you should play Below the Root because it's awesome

also play Elite

Cannonballoon fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 29, 2014

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

tango alpha delta posted:

Or if you are hardcore:

C000 LDX #$00
C002 LDA #$49
C004 STA $0400,X
C007 LDA #$4D
C009 STA $0401,X
C00C LDA #$20
C00E STA $0402,X
C011 LDA #$47
C013 STA $0403,X
C016 LDA #$41
C018 STA $0404,X
C01B LDA #$59
C01D STA $0405,X
C020 INX
C021 CPX #$15
C023 BNE $C002
C025 RTS

Run it with SYS49152

you should do this and tell us what happens

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

gonna go ahead and second playing all the epyx olympic games because they're a unique brand of poo poo

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Albinator posted:

Anything by Andrew Braybrook.

didn't he do uridium

Barco Fiesta
May 26, 2009

a fantasy of olives

AE-35 Unit posted:

if you wanna make sid tunes you can use goattracker but it's for windows (e: and mac and linux apparently)

you should play Below the Root because it's awesome

also play Elite

i might do that because its probably a lot user friendlier than anything on the actual C64

but i will keep playing with this emulator anyway

Barco Fiesta
May 26, 2009

a fantasy of olives

Claven666 posted:

i got a syntax error

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdvUucZF_1I&t=37s

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

gently caress the ROW posted:

gi joe game

that wierd black and white game where you're a cyberninja

the f-14 game

LOAD"TELENGARD",8,1

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Claven666 posted:

It's 6502 machine language. $0400 is screen memory. The PETSCII codes are being loaded into the accumulator and then stored in screen memory. What do you think it does?

Oh and there's a conditional loop that breaks after executing the code 20 times. Then it returns to the C64 BASIC interpreter.

This is really, really old school, so I'm not surprised you're unfamiliar with it.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 29, 2014

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

i got a syntax error

You need to enter it into the machine language monitor in the VICE emulator.

Barco Fiesta
May 26, 2009

a fantasy of olives

You need to enter it into the machine language monitor in the VICE emulator.

i have it keyed into the machine code monitor. how do i run it?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

i have it keyed into the machine code monitor. how do i run it?

You should be able to exit the monitor and type sys 49152 from the screen

A soft reset will keep the code in RAM but if you do a hard reset or type sys 64738 it will clear the RAM.

If it doesn't work, you need to start entering it into the monitor by typing a $c000, because the machine language monitor probably didn't store it.

drat it, I'm using the wrong PETSCII codes and my indexing is a little off.

Here's the updated source code:

c000 LDX #$00
c002 LDA #$09
c004 STA $0400,X
c007 LDA #$0D
c009 STA $0428,X
c00c LDA #$20
c00e STA $0450,X
c011 LDA #$07
c013 STA $0478,X
c016 LDA #$01
c018 STA $04A0,X
c01b LDA #$19
c01d STA $04C8,X
c02 INX
c021 CPX #$15
c023 BNE $C002
c025 RTS

Now imagine writing a game by typing all this poo poo in. Programming has come a looooooong way.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 29, 2014

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
Shogun! The (at the time) most baffling game ever.

VVV Touche.

Grogquock fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 29, 2014

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Grogquock posted:

Shogun! The (at the time) most baffling game ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWKPuBO69aQ

Barco Fiesta
May 26, 2009

a fantasy of olives

You should be able to exit the monitor and type sys 49152 from the screen

A soft reset will keep the code in RAM but if you do a hard reset or type sys 64738 it will clear the RAM.

If it doesn't work, you need to start entering it into the monitor by typing a $c000, because the machine language monitor probably didn't store it.

drat it, I'm using the wrong PETSCII codes and my indexing is a little off.

Here's the updated source code:

c000 A2 00 LDX #$00
c002 A9 09 LDA #$09
c004 9D 00 04 STA $0400,X
c007 A9 0D LDA #$0D
c009 9D 28 04 STA $0428,X
c00c A9 20 LDA #$20
c00e 9D 50 04 STA $0450,X
c011 A9 07 LDA #$07
c013 9D 78 04 STA $0478,X
c016 A9 01 LDA #$01
c018 9D A0 04 STA $04A0,X
c01b A9 19 LDA #$19
c01d 9D C8 04 STA $04C8,X
c020 E8 INX
c021 E0 15 CPX #$15
c023 D0 DD BNE $C002
c025 60 RTS

Now imagine writing a game by typing all this poo poo in. Programming has come a looooooong way.

oh my god :gonk:

okay now it's actually spitting out a bunch of numbers when i put a line in so i guess that means its working

Barco Fiesta fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 29, 2014

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

oh my god :gonk:

okay now it's actually spitting out a bunch of numbers when i put a line in so i guess that means its working

Yeah, that means the monitor is converting the mnemonics into numbers the computer can understand. You are actually programming at about as low level as you can possibly get. It's really very cool.

To program like this means you need to understand the hardware architecture on a very deep level. Modern languages protect you from any of that. The only thing I can think of that is close in 2014 is writing drivers. That's pretty low level.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 29, 2014

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

Space Taxi
Space Taxi
Space Taxi
Space Taxi

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

also the MURDER GAMES instead of the epyx olympic stuff

http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=14599&d=18 (thanks Beerlord)

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY2gK1MPgh8
seriously a more appealing endorsement for a console than any xbone materials ive ever seen

Barco Fiesta
May 26, 2009

a fantasy of olives
its cool to know that sometimes i can come to gbs and learn stuff instead of just bullshitting about goku all day

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

skull wall posted:

Space Taxi
Space Taxi
Space Taxi
Space Taxi

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

its cool to know that sometimes i can come to gbs and learn stuff instead of just bullshitting about goku all day

You can do some very cool poo poo in machine language:

Disk Drive loads too slow? Rewrite the load routines!

Not enough enemies in your game because the hardware can't support them? Make some up and trick the hardware into displaying them!

It seems to be a lost art. But computers work exactly the same on the low level; Every chip has registers, an instruction pointer, a status register and a stack pointer.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 29, 2014

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
demoscene, duh

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

spengler posted:

demoscene, duh

I love the demoscene. But most modern devs don't seem to know or even care about the hardware they write code for. Can't say I blame them, systems are waaay too complex now.

Game developers are awesome though. And engine developers.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 29, 2014

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
Oh, man, there's some really interesting games you might like.

The Summer/Winter Games are an exercise in poo poo-wading, but everyone should play them just once to remember how bad games used to be.

Heart of Africa (Or was it Seven Cities of Gold)
I'll throw in another vote for SHOGUN! just to give it a whirl.

But, there was copies of the ultimate "gently caress YOU!" game floating around.

"I Have No Mouth & I Must Scream" was on the C-64.

Remember, these games, and the C-64 itself, hate you with the passion of a galaxy of burning suns and will never forget or forgive.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

I love the demoscene. But most modern devs don't seem to know or even care about the hardware they write code for. Can't say I blame them, systems are waaay too complex now.

i think this is why the c64 demoscene is still a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8onlB0F1_A

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Highly recommended:

Wizball
Skyfox
Commando
Yie Ar Kung Fu (awesome soundtrack)
Delta Patrol
Seven Cities of Gold
Ultima IV (gently caress you Ultima III)
MULE
Archon
Raid on Bungeling Bay
Raid over Moscow
Beachhead and Beachhead 2
Castles of Doctor Creep
Iridium
Gunship

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
Sometimes I miss the kinds of games we had back then. Pushing the hardware to the max and then some, programming beneath the HAL to the hardware itself, paying special attention to AI's.

Then I remember just how terrible they looked, the game design decisions that went into some of them (Oh, God, any of the point and click nonsensical logic puzzles), and how the games hated you.

loving Impossible Mission.

"Stay awhile. Stay... FOREVER!"

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Temple of Apshai!

spengler posted:

And this is amazing. These are Amiga era effects.

iD Software used to talent scout all the large demoscene parties. I don't think it ever paid off, though.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 29, 2014

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

50 Foot Ant posted:

Play:

Pool of Radiance
Mail Order Monsters
Suspended
Leather Goddesses of Phobos
Zork I, II, III
Roadwar 2000
Bard's Tale

Go for it!

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002
Legend of Blacksilver and/or Questron

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

What the hell is that from? Sure as poo poo isn't from a C-64. Nice second hit on GIS though.

LGoP looks like this:

And is pretty funny satire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

spengler posted:

How the gently caress is this running on a stock C64? Looks like they are hitting $d011 and $d012 really, really hard. Very impressive.

$d011 and $d012 are the registers that contain the location of the raster beam as it draws the picture on the screen. Machine language is fast enough to race the beam and generate a raster interrupt. You can then send new instructions to the display (the VIC-II chip), like extra sprites or colors and then return control to the hardware. The timing can be a little tricky but this demo is amazingly smooth.

And the SID chip? loving amazing sound chip. If you can program the C64 sound chip, you can program any modern synthesizer.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 29, 2014

• Locked thread