Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Almost this entire channel is filmed at that hairpin right below the parking area:

https://www.youtube.com/user/rnickeymouse

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL467A2492C0B9CBFF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Was up there a few weeks ago as well. Real fun road to drive. So many loving idiots drive up and down that thing though.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
It has some extremely narrow and tight switch backs, at steep angles. Seems pretty stupid to go as fast as some people do on a public road given how many tracks are in and around SoCal.

Also, for some reason, locating "The Snake" on google maps is surprisingly difficult. We wound up locating it by finding The Rock Store, and then following up a pack of Evo Xs.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
http://scrmgarage.com/88-jalpa/

I looked up pictures of Jalpas and found this.

Supercharged LS1 in the rear.

Bloody Typical
Oct 27, 2005

Hey, keep the noise down Jerk, this is a residential area.
Went to see the first UK round of the World Rallycross championships this past weekend. Racing was really good, lots of 5 / 6 lap heats and great turn out of drivers competing, Tanner Foust, Nelson Piquet Jnr, Petter Solberg etc.

Did video a couple of the morning rounds of the super cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyVKuR8cSfM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyvsn1ybLTY

They also had a Groub B demo with an RS200 and Audi S1, the RS200 broke and the S1 was a bit bouncy on the gravel if you look closely, sounded great though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLM4CaWLaUw

And the usual drift demos as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dd6w9RklpM

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MetaJew posted:

It has some extremely narrow and tight switch backs, at steep angles. Seems pretty stupid to go as fast as some people do on a public road given how many tracks are in and around SoCal.

Also, for some reason, locating "The Snake" on google maps is surprisingly difficult. We wound up locating it by finding The Rock Store, and then following up a pack of Evo Xs.

It's also a terrible and short road considering the stuff within a 60mi-ish radius.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

So this is what love feels like?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

BlackMK4 posted:

It's also a terrible and short road considering the stuff within a 60mi-ish radius.

That's fine, keeps all the idiots and cops in the popular stupid spot and everyone else can have fun somewhere else.

Much like 4-wheeling, don't give your good spots away or they get ruined by too many dipshits. This is why we can't have nice things.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BlackMK4 posted:

For driving yes. For car and people watching it is second to none.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I think the GT-R should only come in obscene colors.

(this one looks kinda photoshopped. If not, that's drat bright yellow)

And black.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

This is way better with the commentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fooox6hbjzM

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Why did lame rear end america have to win the cold war. The soviets were so awesome.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The rounded roof increases the chances it ends up on all four wheels when you flip it, right?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

The rounded roof increases the chances it ends up on all four wheels when you flip it, right?

Of course! Is safety feature, yes?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Iz strong, forward-thinking car of proletariat, fueled by turnip

Edit: did googling, found this on a Russian forum and translated by comrade google:

quote:

"Squirrel"

In the process of Design genius staff gave us many interesting options for the future of the car. However, perhaps the most interesting project was born in collaboration with Irbit Motorcycle Plant. Letters requesting the creation of a compact car for the mass market and came to the leadership of this enterprise, and supply local designer Fedor Alekseevich Reppiha here began work on the machine, which could be the most original example of the Soviet automobile.

quote:

The project was named "Squirrel" in honor of the famous Irbitskoi fur fairs. Externally, the car was truly unique, "clipped" front body, rear-mounted engine, the door to the landing on the rear seats only on the right side. But most importantly - flip up and down the front part of the body, through which land on the driver's seat and the front passenger. The author of this extravagant design became the founder of the Soviet school autodesign Yuri Dolmatovsky.

quote:

For Performance "Proteins" was developed at least the original concept of "5x5": displacement of 0.5 liters, 5 seats, 0.5 tons of dry weight, etc. Among other things, for the countryside was offered a special grade, that something like the doors did not have at all.

quote:

and six months for Irbit factory created several prototypes acquainted with them even higher officials. However, the basis of the first "plows" still took a foreign car FIAT 600. At that there were good reasons: the original "Squirrel" Unfortunately, because of its experimental design was not sufficiently secure and airtight. In 1960 he went into production "humpbacked" ZAZ-965, similar in appearance with his Italian "brother."

http://www.yaplakal.com/forum11/topic820783.html

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 29, 2014

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

dah, flip up and down the front part of the body, through which land on the driver's seat and the front passenger, ees good yah? We make car, exact opposite of evil capitalist pig Western car, back in front, front in back for glory of People's Union!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
InediblePenguin was talking about wanting to go to the local dirt track, and the discussion eventually turned to whether a Group B rally car would be admitted in the super stock class, and how it would do against the purpose-built dirt-trackers.

We looked up the rules, and no. But it's a small-town East Texas track, you could probably talk them into doing a gimmick event. But an Audi Quattro S1E2 would probably wipe the floor with the IMCA Super Stocks or Modifieds.

InediblePenguin was on a pit crew at Lebanon Valley as a teenager; I've shot at the local 3/8-mile oval once. If you haven't seen a dirt race, you should, admission is only $10.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/bentley-continental-gt-webster-race-engineering-2014-05-28

Bentley Continental GT with an engine swap (and basically an entire chassis swap) to a 10.2L Chevy V8, twin-turbo. Claimed ~3080bhp. Claimed ~2s 0-60mph. Stripped down to 1400kg.

0-200mph? 7 seconds.

:stare:

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 29, 2014

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Delivery McGee posted:

InediblePenguin was talking about wanting to go to the local dirt track, and the discussion eventually turned to whether a Group B rally car would be admitted in the super stock class, and how it would do against the purpose-built dirt-trackers.

Do they have races where cars have to do a certain number of laps in one direction and then in the other direction? I'm just wondering if everyone designs those vehicles to only ever turn one way or if they mix it up regularly. I'd basically like to see a race where an MC just calls everyone to do 180's and go the other way like it's some dirt bar mitzvah and they're all playing Coke/Pepsi.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Delivery McGee posted:

InediblePenguin was on a pit crew at Lebanon Valley as a teenager; I've shot at the local 3/8-mile oval once. If you haven't seen a dirt race, you should, admission is only $10.

Lebanon Valley in NY? I grew up not an hour from that place. The commercials were the best. "LEBANON VALLEY DRAAAAAGWAY!!!! We'll sell you a ticket for the whole seat BUT YOU'LL ONLY NEED THE EDGE!"

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

davebo posted:

Do they have races where cars have to do a certain number of laps in one direction and then in the other direction? I'm just wondering if everyone designs those vehicles to only ever turn one way or if they mix it up regularly. I'd basically like to see a race where an MC just calls everyone to do 180's and go the other way like it's some dirt bar mitzvah and they're all playing Coke/Pepsi.

There are figure 8 races, but no, they just turn left. Also, be sure to sit as close to the fence when you go check out the dirt races :)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Kenshin posted:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/bentley-continental-gt-webster-race-engineering-2014-05-28

Bentley Continental GT with an engine swap (and basically an entire chassis swap) to a 10.2L Chevy V8, twin-turbo. Claimed ~3080bhp. Claimed ~2s 0-60mph. Stripped down to 1400kg.

0-200mph? 7 seconds.

:stare:

*lightly taps accelerator pedal*

*disappears into next year*

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
SO happy I took a different route home from work just now. Drove by this, immediately turned around and went back. Yes, it was real. :swoon:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Shampoo posted:

Lebanon Valley in NY? I grew up not an hour from that place. The commercials were the best. "LEBANON VALLEY DRAAAAAGWAY!!!! We'll sell you a ticket for the whole seat BUT YOU'LL ONLY NEED THE EDGE!"
That's the place! We ran a superstock on the circle track (my uncle owned the car), I never really went out to the dragway.

If you're gonna go to a dirt track, realize that you're gonna come home wearing the track. My second season I started wearing goggles in the pits and the stands because over the course of the first season all the kicked-up dirt had gradually ground the lenses of my eyeglasses cloudy. If it's been dry lately, even after they water the track down you'll be wanting to wear a handkerchief over your nose and mouth by the last races of the night. And the french fries will taste a little bit like rubber, but it's all good

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GramCracker posted:

SO happy I took a different route home from work just now. Drove by this, immediately turned around and went back. Yes, it was real. :swoon:

Holy poo poo, what is that doing outside and unmonitored?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

InediblePenguin posted:

If you're gonna go to a dirt track, realize that you're gonna come home wearing the track.

Dress like a WWI fighter pilot/Walter White at work, and if you're photographing it from the pits, be prepared to write off the camera. That poo poo isn't covered by warranty. If you've been in the Army recently, it's a lot like the dust in the desert.

I'm totally going to get pit passes and borrow a camera from the newspaper I used to work for/now contract for when we go to the races ("I'll shoot it for you free if I can use your gear"), because no loving way am I taking my personal gear within ten miles of a dirt track on race night.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Motronic posted:

Holy poo poo, what is that doing outside and unmonitored?

I'm 99% certain the 80 year old owner was just inside the garage bay (you can see in the background) chatting with the mechanics. :unsmith:

Also, now that I'm thinking about it, the Carrera RS is a pretty unassuming car to those who don't know. I bet a shitload of people would pass over it as "some old Porsche"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Delivery McGee posted:

Dress like a WWI fighter pilot/Walter White at work, and if you're photographing it from the pits, be prepared to write off the camera. That poo poo isn't covered by warranty. If you've been in the Army recently, it's a lot like the dust in the desert.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Delivery McGee posted:

We looked up the rules, and no. But it's a small-town East Texas track, you could probably talk them into doing a gimmick event. But an Audi Quattro S1E2 would probably wipe the floor with the IMCA Super Stocks or Modifieds.

Shampoo posted:

Goddamn, how many people on this forum have gone to Lebanon Valley? Such a great track. I go to OCFS all the time, was there two weeks ago for the Outlaw show.

Also, yes, dirt oval track racing is the best racing there is.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 30, 2014

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

GramCracker posted:

The finest Beetle ever built.

I want one so badly.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
When did they release that? And will it meet VWAG 569.45 spec for wiring harness and rear lighting fluid use?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It's junk, doesn't conform to the BMW LL BF standard.

E: If you can find it the euro formula is pretty good though, it's got additives for rear fogs.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sucks when you leave your window down overnight in Seattle.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

I live in Colorado where using a turn signal is pretty much forbidden. Pass.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I'm in Poland for the week. First night out and in the town square I seemed to have walked into a classic American barge meet:

They all peeled out, spinning their wheels on the cobblestones. Ace. Highlight of the day is this, though:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

echoplex posted:

I'm in Poland for the week. First night out and in the town square I seemed to have walked into a classic American barge meet:

That is a sweet '67 Riviera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist